Day 4: Morocco vs Croatia | Germany vs Japan | Spain vs Costa Rica | Belgium vs Canada

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Match 9
Wednesday 23 November, 10.00 GMT @ Al Bayt Stadium
Group F

Match 10
Wednesday 23 November, 13.00 GMT @ Khalifa International Stadium
Group E

Match 11
Wednesday 23 November, 16.00 GMT @ Al Thumama Stadium
Group E

Match 12
Wednesday 23 November, 19.00 GMT @ Ahmed bin Ali Stadium
Group F​

RedDevilMachine

WW2 Axis Power reunite! Germany vs Japan has all the makings of a classic World Cup match. Expect lots of goals.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

Feck off Roberto.

Dazzmondo

Looking forward to seeing Canada. Will be keeping a close eye on Jonathan David as a potential striker target for us in January.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Looking forward to all 4 games here. Morocco v Croatia will be a good gauge for both sides, Croatia should win but Morocco are dangerous. Germany with Flick, Spain with Enrique, both should assert themselves and both play very attractive football IMO. No idea what level Japan and Costa Rica are but obviously historically they've both had good teams. And then Canada with their first world cup in years, looking forward to seeing how they do against aging Belgium (and what level Belgium still is at).

Steffa Barnesa

Canada maple off a surprise, and Germany - Japan is one of my most anticipated group stage matches.

Mr Smith

Hyped for Croatia vs Morocco, I think it will be a very good game. I think Croatia are flying massively under the radar; they've refreshed their side well since 2018 and Modric is just as good as he was four years ago.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Alphonso Davies is starting tomorrow!

massi83

Will be great experience for the Japanese fans, this is the most accessible WC for them ever.

massi83

What? They hosted one 20 years ago
I thought that too but @Rood was kind enough to correct my misconception and informed me that this indeed is the most accessible tournament for them. Even more so than the one they hosted, so now I can pass forward that wisdom.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I thought that too but @Rood was kind enough to correct my misconception and informed me that this indeed is the most accessible tournament for them. Even more so than the one they hosted, so now I can pass forward that wisdom.
Do you have to be a dick.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
:lol:

So you are just making shit up? I've said nothing of the sort

Hanks

All 4 games look very exciting on paper, but I'm really looking forward to Japan-Germany. Could easily be a 4-3 classic either side. Just love Japan and rate them very highly.

Belgium's aging backline vs. Canada's young and fast athletes could end up in a big upset. However, there's a good chance this young Canada team will freeze on the big occasion.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Morocco are my 2nd team in this WC, low expectations with a new inexperienced manager but maybe they can make the most of the new manager bounce!

Solid defence - lacking upfront

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Games look one-sided on paper so here's hoping we get a couple of surprises.
Which paper are you reading? ;)
I think for all of the games there could be wins either way. Canada are decent so they could win. Same is true for morrocco and Japan. I don’t think the FIFA rankings are good indicators either at the moment anyway.
Looking forward to some (hopefully) good games.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Is he actually fit or is this a painkillers and pray kind of situation?
I have no idea actually. All I read was this: "All of Canada's significant injury concerns have worked themselves out, Herdman said. Alphonso Davies, Stephen Eustaquio, and Milan Borjan will all play. Herdman's ideal starting 11, the principal objects of his affection, will take the field against Belgium." (link)

But given Davies still showed signs of discomfort on Monday, painkillers sounds likely. But who cares, as long as he can finish the WC. ;)

Eustaquio and Borjan being back from injury is also good news btw!

Ramos

So Roberto Martinez has already confirmed 6 of his 11 names: Courtois, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Witsel, Eden Hazard and De Bruyne.

All of those 6 started their opening game against Algeria at the WC in Brazil, 8 and a half years ago. And if Lukaku had been fit today, that would have been 7.

Usually this isn't a good sign. Can see this go awry against all those Canadian speedsters.

RedDevilMachine

Why is the odds for Croatia so high? They are World Cup finalist and are in a strong form. Surprised the bookmakers rate Morocco so highly.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Interested to see how Belgium and Germany get on. None of the big teams so far look good defensively so it’s quite an open tournament.

Real Name

Just realized that prick Lovren will be playing. Worrying, other than he's a red card or penalty waiting to happen he sucks in passing from the back which might be a problem since then Modrić will have to go back for the ball more than if we had Šutalo or Erlić along with Gvardiol at the back.

RoyH1

Games look one-sided on paper so here's hoping we get a couple of surprises.
I don't think Morroco - Croatia is one sided at all. Morroco will give Croatia a tough game and I think a draw is likely.

Stay tuned to me having to swallow my words in a few hours time.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Belgium's aging backline vs. Canada's young and fast athletes could end up in a big upset. However, there's a good chance this young Canada team will freeze on the big occasion.
Maybe based on the world rankings or previous results last decade, but it wouldn't be that big of an upset this year. Expectations are very low over here, also due to Martinez' uninspiring selection of players.

Good luck tonight!

Real Name

I don't think Morroco - Croatia is one sided at all. Morroco will give Croatia a tough game and I think a draw is likely.

Stay tuned to me having to swallow my words in a few hours time.
Yes, we're favorites but it will be tough. Seeing Tunisia Denmark yesterday gave me concern about our game.