Day 4: Morocco vs Croatia | Germany vs Japan | Spain vs Costa Rica | Belgium vs Canada

Oranges038

DDG never stands too long in the middle. On the contrary, goes far too early. If you stand still and the penalty is buried in a corner, the keeper wouldn't have saved it anyway. Standing still also could unsettle the penalty taker. It was always my tactic and I saved a lot more than I let in because so often at the level I played, the taker wanted to go down the middle
I find it hard to believe that at any level you could save most of the penalties you faced simply by standing in the middle of the goal.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I wouldn't put it past Germany to turn it around, but tough ask for Germany and Spain to both make it. Either all 3 of Spain/Germany/Japan to end of 6 points, or they have to hope for a Costa Rica result vs Japan (no idea how those 2 compare to each other). Goal difference is the tie breaker

NYAS

Upset loss to Oman at home in the first game missing Osano and the likes. They didn't start well but beat everyone when mattered. Head to Head results against Saudis and Australia they were a step above
KSA went to Japan after basically already having qualified. If we’re talking about “when it matters”, you need to take into consideration it didn’t matter much to the Saudis.

I’m not claiming they aren’t better, but “by far” is definitely a stretch.

Lyricist

Could be some sort of bet or joke he has running with someone that he'll do it at some point during a game. I'd understand that, otherwise he's a bellend.
He seriously does this almost every time he's maxing out full speed. It's like he can't run upright otherwise once he's at full pace.

(sorry for the loud music in that video haha
https://youtube.com/shorts/STbJ5iBSRtk?feature=share)

Scarecrow

Having a week off
I mean that the valuations of transfermakt have no meaning, it's pure speculation. And no it's not what we are talking about, if you want to make a point about a team talk about Football not made up figures and useless metrics like market value.
The values are meaningless in absolute sense but not in relation to one another. If you use the same algorithm for all players and teams and then plot them on a scale, you get an actual ranking tool. How much stock you put in it is dependent on how much you trust the algorithm. I think generally it does an ok job of representing reality, in comparative sense, at least - the fact that it roughly matches the bookmaker odds is also an indication of that.

I was talking about the odds / chances of a team to reach the semis / final. I mentioned the values table, as well as England's performance in the last years (at Football).

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Old Germany didn't need that many chances to score, they used to score from very few chances, even after they got outplayed...they got outplayed by France in 82 and 86, scored from nothing ,and ended up winning against a better team.

This Germany is the opposite, creates a lot but is very wasteful due to having mediocre strikers , and end up losing the match... same thing happened against South Korea in 2018 group stage.

You love to see it though :lol:

Last edited:

Goldfiessli

Supports
FC Basel
Sülinho getting torn apart on ZDF is the content I’m craving for.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The absolute values are meaningless but the ranking is not. If you use the same algorithm for all players and teams and then plot them on a scale - that's a real comparative tool now. How much stock you put in it is dependent on how much you trust the algorithm. I think generally it does an ok job of representing reality, in comparative sense, at least - the fact that it matches the bookmaker odds is also an indication of that.

I was talking about the odds / chances of a team to reach the semis / final. I mentioned the values table, as well as England's performance in the last years (at Football).
Dude it means nothing. Not only because the values are bogus but also because the market value of a player isn't an indication of the level of that player compared to an other. The entirety of your argument is senseless because players aren't in similar situations especially when it comes to their respective contracts.

Dazzmondo

Wondering what the odds are on Navas to make over 20 saves and not concede

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Do Spain still have the move the ball around until the opposition dies of boredom and walk it into the net gameplan? If so I'll skip this.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Dude it means nothing. Not only because the values are bogus but also because the market value of a player isn't an indication of the level of that player compared to an other. The entirety of your argument is senseless because players aren't in similar situations especially when it comes to their respective contracts.
Yes, it is. It's not the only indicator but it's the main one (the lesser being age and contract). The larger your sample, the less noise you have from the other factors.

Zetrio2002

I guess Asian teams play better because they are used to playing in Asia. Saying the obvious.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Does this go of GD or head to head if teams are joint?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Old Germany didn't need that many chances to score, they used to score from very few chances, even after they got outplayed...they got outplayed by France in 82 and 86, scored from nothing ,and ended up winning against a better team.

This Germany is the opposite, creates a lot but is very wasteful due to having mediocre strikers , and end up losing the match... same thing happened against South Korea in 2018 group stage.

You love to see it though :lol:
Exactly right, but Germany used to have world class strikers. Now there isn’t a single German striker that strikes fear. You know it’s bad when you miss Werner.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
This and what he did vs Japan are different. He clearly was taking the piss in this game
The tongue out of his mouth and stupid grin afterwards clearly made it a pisstake for me.

On the other hand, aren't players allowed to showboat? Lots of people love excessive step overs. This is sort of a defenders equilavent of that.

RedDevilMachine

How this Japan side got beaten by Qatar in Asian Cup 2019 was beyond me, especially after nearly knocking out Belgium in the WC. Qatar beat S Korea in that tournament too, which made me suspect they're not as bad as that opening match indicated (nerves?)
Asian Cup results are always a bit weird like AFCON. On their day, some of the top Middle East teams can give Japan and South Korea a good game

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
The tongue out of his mouth and stupid grin afterwards clearly made it a pisstake for me.

On the other hand, aren't players allowed to showboat? Lots of people love excessive step overs. This is sort of a defenders equilavent of that.
Of course they're allowed, you just better win the game afterwards so people won't mock you for it

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Of course they're allowed, you just better win the game afterwards so people won't mock you for it
Yeah for sure. That's the downside of showboating. Wish the Japanese had rubbed it in more. Though they're too polite for that I suppose.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yes, it is. It's not the only indicator but it's the main one (the lesser being age and contract). The larger your sample, the less noise you have from the other factors.
No it's not and you know it. And the main factors are the contractual situation of a player and the identity of his club, specifically the wealth of that club.

As an example is Sterling a better player today than he was this summer, is Tchouaméni a worse player today than he was this summer; is Haaland a significantly better player today than he was this summer?