Day 4: Morocco vs Croatia | Germany vs Japan | Spain vs Costa Rica | Belgium vs Canada

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
While I agree it was a mistake for Davies to take the pen, this statement by @awop you're replying to was ludicrous, and if I'd seen this during the conversation I'd have challenged it. Hipster? Does awop have any clue about Alphonso's backstory? Parents fleeing a civil war in Liberia, Alphonso born in a refugee camp in Ghana, family moved to Canada, settled in Edmonton, made his MLS debut at age fifteen. He's just about the polar opposite of a "hipster." A truly dimwitted thing to say.
I think 'hipster' referred to the people that highly rate Davies rather than to Davies himself ('hipsters' darling Davies', not 'hipster Davies'). Still a condescending and completely meritless comment, but not as bad as you're making out here.

Also, for all those calling for David to take the penalty: if he misses, the complaint would have been about David, the Lille striker, taking a WC penalty while Davies, who regularly plays at the highest level, was also on the pitch. Herdman says he lets the guys decide on the pitch based on how the feel, and I guess David and Davies decided as they did between them. (Although it would make more sense for me if Herdman had designated a preferred penalty taker.)

Vanrouge

What on earth are you on about ? My comment has absolutely nothing to do with Davies's story, trying to create a link between the two is the truly dimwitted thing to do.
I'm just saying that you have an actual in form striker in Jonathan David and probably more apt penalty takers in that Canadian squad. Very few believe in them and after being absent of the World Cup for almost FORTY YEARS, letting your defender take your first chance to score is insanely dumb. As good as he is, after all the injury issues he's had recently, and a very spotty record, this was a mistake. But congrats anyway on your insane take.
You need to calm yourself down, son. I already agreed that David should have taken the pen. What I took issue with was how you referred to Alphonso Davies. Let's go back. Here's what you said:

If i'm Jonathan David, i'm pissed the hipster defender took that pen.
That's impossible to misinterpret despite your weak attempt to backtrack. There's nothing ambiguous about the shocking disrespect you've shown to a young man who has been through incredible adversity in his short life to reach the very pinnacle of the game. Your trying to paint my reply as an overreaction is almost laughable. Look at what you said again: you didn't even name him, ffs. "Hipster defender," my ass. You were referring to Davies directly, not to any of his fans. No, I stand by my initial comment one hundred percent. A decent person would simply acknowledge their mistake, apologize, and move on instead of digging their hole further. Unless you're prepared to hold up your hands and do just that, please don't reply to me again.

Last edited:

Vanrouge

I think 'hipster' referred to the people that highly rate Davies rather than to Davies himself ('hipsters' darling Davies', not 'hipster Davies'). Still a condescending and completely meritless comment, but not as bad as you're making out here.

Also, for all those calling for David to take the penalty: if he misses, the complaint would have been about David, the Lille striker, taking a WC penalty while Davies, who regularly plays at the highest level, was also on the pitch. Herdman says he lets the guys decide on the pitch based on how the feel, and I guess David and Davies decided as they did between them. (Although it would make more sense for me if Herdman had designated a preferred penalty taker.)
You make a good point about damned if you do, damned if you don't. But as for awop, I'd agree if they'd said "hipsters' defender" or even "hipster's defender" not "hipster defender." The key was in the singular use of hipster. And the disrespect was clear in their refusal to even name the player. Honestly, I'd have been prepared to go with your more charitable interpretation until I saw how the poster replied to me challenging them, which revealed plenty.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
You need to calm yourself down, son. I already agreed that David should have taken the pen. What I took issue with was how you referred to Alphonso Davies. Let's go back. Here's what you said:

That's impossible to misinterpret despite your weak attempt to backtrack. There's nothing ambiguous about the shocking disrespect you've shown to a young man who has been through incredible adversity in his short life to reach the very pinnacle of the game. Your trying to paint my reply as an overreaction is almost laughable. Look at what you said again: you didn't even name him, ffs. "Hipster defender," my ass. You were referring to Davies directly, not to any of his fans. No, I stand by my initial comment one hundred percent. A decent person would simply acknowledge their mistake, apologize, and move on instead of digging their hole further. Unless you're prepared to hold up your hands and do just that, please don't reply to me again.
Yes i need to calm down, you revealed my sinister plan to mock the horrific events in Davies's life in a middle of a football game. That was absolutely my intention. Give your head a wobble. Don't reply to me again.