Day 5: Germany vs. Portugal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
I'm not a Ronaldo's fanboi nor deluded but I'm being realistic.
This is a player who was unfit and as a matter of fact, he was seen with an iceberg on his knee in training and he didn't complete his full training session. Even at that, he was still decent compared to his team mates.
However, you said Ronaldo didn't make his mark known minutes ago but 5mins later, he was seen making his trademark run, who's now the deluded one if not you?
That said, I repeat his performance was decent compared to his team mates save for Nani and like I said earlier, he was economical with the ball, considering his team were down to 10 men and he was unfit!
I thought he was every bit as bad as his team mates.

sammyvine

Hahaha Rihanna is eyeing up all the male footballers on twitter

she has the hots for kevin prince boateng lol

sammyvine

lol

She desperately wants to be a WAG

If I was a footballer i'd be all over it!

Haha my girlfriend think she has a good choice in men

Kevin prince boateng and ronaldo lol
not bad looking guys ill admit lol

Krits

Just saw this angle for the first time. Wtf!

I think that red card was bollox. Thats not a fecking head butt. But even without that red card, Portugal were shit and deserve to lose.

The game was totally ruined for me though
1) Being that I don't support Germany, I wanted to portugal to win.
2) I went to this shitty "sports" bar that was playing blaring EDM all night. Ruined the fecking experience.

Carter99

Really didnt expect Germany to handle Portugal that well. They were utter shit.

My grades for Germany (1 = best 6 = worst)

Müller: 1 (clearly outstanding, scoring a hattrick and managed to sent off Pepe. What a player he is. Funny that he gets so much hate for his playing style. Hes a big time player)

Hummels: 1 (What a player. Clearly the best Defender ive seen so far. His tackles were breathtaking. He even took Almeida out with a fair tackle and scored a booming header. Germany can only hope that he doesnt miss due to injury)

Kroos: 1,5 (His long balls were perfect. Great managing the game. Hes way better playing CAM then CDM)

Özil: 2 (surprised he had a good game. Was pissed he got subbed off. Had some decent through balls but he showed that he cant score)

Götze: 2 (was also very solid and got the Penalty for Germany. Some nice cuts)

Boateng: 1,5 (shutdown Ronaldo. Nuff said)

Mertesacker: 2,5 (didnt notice him at all. Solid game, he didnt need to do anything in that game)

Neuer: 2 (not much to do. Looked healthy and solid)

Lahm: 3 (some early mistakes that could have lead to a goal but after that a solid game)

Khedira: 2,5 (missed the wide open goal. Otherwise he tried to do more for the offense and looked solid in Defense and controlling the pace)

Höwedes: 3,5 (was the worst player for Germany. He wasnt bad but clearly lacks the attacking threat and doesnt trust himself to do crossed. Was exposed by Nani a couple of times)

United-protocol.

Even when portugal had their golden generation. They were still average and chokers. Euro final against Greece. At least they were a team this Ronaldo pleasing tactics, just looks stupid. They're force to pass to him, if they don't he will have a strop and remember that it's all right for Ronaldo not to pass, but shoot countless times. Nani has to do the job of being the only winger, due to cr7 never dropping back.

Kostur

海尔的老板
I saw nothing wrong with what Muller did.

He got a backhanded slap in the face - those hurt at that velocity. 99% of players will drop down in that situation to emphasise the foul, given you are pretty much taken out of the play situation by such a foul anyway.

Then Pepe goes and butts heads - I think it is to Muller's credit that he jumps up and gets in his face rather than die a Rivaldo-esque death from it. If he were playacting, that would surely have been the way to go.

I think he got hurt for a moment, Pepe loses his rags and Muller actually increases his chances of staying on by jumping to his feet rather than dramatizing the much lesser, but legally more severe, contact. If the ref was unsure of what he saw, he might have let Pepe get away with that given that Muller does quite the opposite of playacting on that.
Pretty much with B20 on this one, Pepe's just went full retard. No need to act like this especially that there was no foul given for this 'backslap'.

red_7

Boateng didn' shut down Ronaldo, it was Mazic with his decisions. With help from a ref like that Germany can go far in this tournament. No wonder the whole Portugal team lost the passion for this game.

no pen, no red card and we would have had a real game. This was mase too easy for the germans by the ref

Winrar

The initial foul on Muller probably hurt more than it appears.

The headbutt while Muller was down was completely unnecessary and a case of Pepe simply being a fecking idiot.

Last edited:

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
The initial foul on Muller probably hurt more than it appears.

The headbutt while Muller was down was completely unnecessary and a case of Pepe simply being a fecking idiot.
Yes, in any case, I don't think there's anyway of knowing when someone gets caught in the face, however light the contact what the reaction ought to be. It might not "hurt" or leave a bruise, but sudden unexpected contact in the wrong place is enough - the brain defends itself and all those delicate bits loaded up there, by overreacting.

You only have to bring your own hand rapidly towards your face (without hitting it!) and you'll find it hard not to close your eyes, even though one part of your brain actually knows you're in no danger.

In any case Pepe was the one who lost the plot, he sent himself off.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
It was a bad night for Portugal. Marca's scorecard's not a bad summary from my point of view.
Pepe, Mereiles and Almeida got 3 (out of 10!).
Nani and Pereira got 5.5 and Coentrao got 5.
Everybody else (including Ronaldo) got 4.

So, the question now is whether they can raise themselves for the next game. Without Pepe and Coentrao, I don't see the defence improving. The attack might (if only because Almeida is injured) but a lot of that depends on Ronaldo.

We don't know why Ronaldo was so poor. We do know that he was poor/missing from a lot of Real Madrid's games at the end of the season - he only played 5 of their last 12 games including the CL semis and final for example. He's never been a "hit the ground running" player after an injury, unlike Iniesta say who sometimes seems to do his best work then. At any rate, unless he perks up (or Nani finds his shooting boots) all the Portuguese players will be off on their holidays next week.

Gianni

Portugal still can make it and it's way better to learn from this at this stage than to lpay like this in the further stages. I didn't recognize the players yesterday and I expect them to play much better from now on. Cnograts to Germany because they were way more mature on field and played very well.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Löw really surprised me with this one. It was the first time in ages that I felt like he had a crystal clear plan and not something in between. Portugal was piss poor and the early Pen obviously helped a lot, but this was the best, most complete performance by our team I've seen since probably 2010. I'm not quite ready to wear sackcloth and ashes yet, but I really hope Löw can keep this up.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Löw really surprised me with this one. It was the first time in ages that I felt like he had a crystal clear plan and not something in between. Portugal was piss poor and the early Pen obviously helped a lot, but this was the best, most complete performance by our team I've seen since probably 2010. I'm not quite ready to wear sackcloth and ashes yet, but I really hope Löw can keep this up.
In the pre-match on here I was surprised by just how much dislike there was for Löw, but then I'm not a German fan and my judgement is clouded by being an England one - and therefore expecting to be disappointed by both the manager and the team. Reading the reactions though, I can understand what a disappointment the Euros 2012 must have been, after the optimism after 2010.

At any rate, poor Portugal or not, they can only beat what's in front of them and they did a very thorough job of that.

Red smarties

best wall ever set up by a keeper.
Neuer pIcks the smallest player on the pitch, orchastrates him to the only potential path of the ball that might trouble him.
It's as if he was reading Ronnies mind.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
In the pre-match on here I was surprised by just how much dislike there was for Löw, but then I'm not a German fan and my judgement is clouded by being an England one - and therefore expecting to be disappointed by both the manager and the team.
Germany is a nation of 82M national coaches that now has been longing for a world cup for 24 years.
We were always close (final 2002, third 2006, third 2010), but lacked luck/the next step. Since 2006 we are even playing entertaining football - well, mostly... - but just can't seem to get it done. It gets frustrating and the players change, but Löw is the constant (he is in charge since 2006 and he was the tactician, not Klinsmann) so he gets the blame. Though the only thing I really fault him for is our setup against Italy in 2012 which was shit.

talkin2me

In the pre-match on here I was surprised by just how much dislike there was for Löw
Raised expectations after reaching 3 semi-finals and 1 final in major tournaments under Löw, I guess. Us Germans, we are spoilt pricks like that. It doesn't help that the German media hypes our players to no end, either. Götze, the German Messi; Hummels, the new Beckenbauer; Lahm, world's best *insert position here* (I might actually agree with the Lahm bit); etc..
What people fail to grasp is, that Germany doesn't have the best starting XI in this WC, nor the best squad, for that matter. So expecting them to reach the final by default is ridiculous. Like in the CL, there is so much luck involved, and the competition so fierce, that even reaching the semis can be regarded as a success for any team.
Löw changed our style from shit on a stick to attractive attacking football and I'm greatful for that. Yeah, he srewed up from time to time, but so have Fergie, Pep, Mou et al.

For the record: I do believe Löw should step back after the WC, regardless of the outcome, if a suitable successor is available (Tuchel?), as I think after ten years it is time to bring in some new faces with fresh ideas. Plus, I'd like to see how Löw does at club level now.

fcbforever

Supports
FC Bayern München
Boateng didn' shut down Ronaldo, it was Mazic with his decisions. With help from a ref like that Germany can go far in this tournament. No wonder the whole Portugal team lost the passion for this game.

no pen, no red card and we would have had a real game. This was mase too easy for the germans by the ref
Get on with it mate. Pepe is just a massive idiot, it's not the refs fault, it's his. Why is he doing that? I mean, he already is the most hated person playing football at a professional level, if he's trying to get that title.

Pen could be a pen, if it's awarded it should also have been a red so that was probably the ref trying to soften the decision.
Portugal has been awful. With Coentrao and Pepe out (and Meireles too) they probably won't get past the gruop stages.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Didn't realize the ref was marking Ronaldo all game long, denying him the ball. Well spotted, red_7.

Carter99

- They already sucked and were down 2:0 with Pepe on the field
- The penalty on Götze could have been a Red too.
- Yes he failed to give a Penalty (+red/yellow to the Defender) to Portugal. But that would have made it 1:3 with only 15 minutes to play and one man down. Hard to believe Portugal would have turned it around.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I think Portugal will have a very hard time coming out of the group. It was not so much the loss, which would be expected, but the absolute lack of mentality. No one showed up. If we don't score early against the US, nerves might kick in.

I would really like to see Éder and W. Carvalho start next match, we need something different.

red_7

yes, germany may have won anyway but IF is what people wanted to see and the penalty on Götze first of all shouldn't be a penatly, that is were it all started to go wrong. Germany had no serious shot on goal till the pen and Nani could have scored with his shot and surely they had shown more passion throughout the game if not robbed by the ref.

This game was ruinined by a poor ref

red_7

what does perrerira to make Götze go down? nothing. A little grab to his arm but if that is enough every corner ends up a pen. This is a ridicolous decision as you clearly see Götze goes down as he recognises he has no chance to reach the ball anymore. This is a mybe a clever one because in real tempo it looks like he was fouled but he clearly wasn't and a dive is a dive, no matter how clever. At least say it wasn't a dive but then play on.

The header from Hummels btw was pure class. That is what we want to see at a WC. Lovely header!

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
I disagree, penalty is a hard one that can go either way, only after two replays I got the feeling he shouldn't have given it. And the Pepe sending off is by the book, though often you see only yellow for that kind of contact. So it's one of those refereeing displays that could have been more solomonic, but the team clearly made it redundant. It made the game worse, but you'll see no Portuguese fan saying they "ruined us", we all have the feeling we'd be swept aside anyway.

Carter99

The ref was known for easily showing cards. Even Pepe must have known that. He was punished for being an utter cnut.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
yes, germany may have won anyway but IF is what people wanted to see and the penalty on Götze first of all shouldn't be a penatly, that is were it all started to go wrong. Germany had no serious shot on goal till the pen and Nani could have scored with his shot and surely they had shown more passion throughout the game if not robbed by the ref.

Yeah, if only Khedira's shot was on goal, we would have already taken the lead, but he missed the empty goal by a few inches. I'm starting to doubt you actually watched the game, if you believe we had no chances to score before the penalty.

Red smarties

did anybody notice?

germany played 10 central players. the back 4 were all nominal central defenders. The midfield with Lahm, Kroos and khedira are all central players, and up front with Muller, Ozil and Goetze you have another 3 who prefer to play central.

red_7

not Portugal was ruined primarily, they most probably lost it anyway but the game itself was ruined because the second half bored us all. Without the ref decisions in german favour POR at least would have had a chance and such an encounter GER-POR has a lot more to offer then what we saw.

FIFA has no need to help Brazil or Germany to get a good start in the WC ;-) (don't take that last sentence too serious)

Carter99

did anybody notice?

germany played 10 central players. the back 4 were all nominal central defenders. The midfield with Lahm, Kroos and khedira are all central players, and up front with Muller, Ozil and Goetze you have another 3 who prefer to play central.

Thats why most of the game took part in the central.

What do you want to tell us?

We played Höwedes and Boateng because Löw doesnt trust the young Durm and he thinks Lahm should play in CDM for whatever reason.

I dont think it was purpose to field only central players.

Also keep in mind that Götze played on the wing for Bayern in a lot of Games (same for Özil @ Arsenal)

red_7

maybe I forgot about that one for Khedira, but anyway, this chance wasn't due to good play by germany

Carter99

not Portugal was ruined primarily, they most probably lost it anyway but the game itself was ruined because the second half bored us all. Without the ref decisions in german favour POR at least would have had a chance and such an encounter GER-POR has a lot more to offer then what we saw.

FIFA has no need to help Brazil or Germany to get a good start in the WC ;-) (don't take that last sentence too serious)

The 2nd half was "boring" because Germany could easily relax and save Energy. What do you expect? That they play 100% up 3:0 in a Stadium with 30 Degrees and 80% humidity?

Why should they even risk to get a counter attack? This game was far too important for experiments in the 2nd half. Still they managed to create some good chances.

Just imagine Spain or Italy up 3:0 at the half. That would be boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.