Day 5: Sweden vs South Korea, Belgium vs Panama and Tunisia vs England (19H00)

Janson

I used to support the English NT but that ended after Euro 96 when funny enough Gareth Southgate became a figure of hate after his missed penalty against Germany in the semis. Two years later it was Beckham's turn to face the ire of the arrogant spoiled rotten English fans and media after his send off against Argentina. He admitted to wanting to quit football after that.
Fast forward another two years Phil Neville was getting death threats and had English fans outside his residence hurling abuse for the penalty he gave away at Euro 2000 against Romania, knocking them out. He also admitted to wanting to quit. Two years later again it was David Seaman at WC 02 with the Ronaldinho chip. I just hope United players escape unscathed when the inevitable elimination comes. To sum it up the culture of entitlement when it comes to the England NT is pretty pathetic. You guys think you're as good as Brazil or any of the other great national sides but you're really not. 'We're England, we should be destroying X or Z' and all that. Almost everyone has a NT they hate and mine is England for those reasons. I hope you crush and burn again as usual :devil:
I don't see anything wrong with what you're saying, some just get easily offended. Whether you love or hate a side, the more emotion, more enjoyable it is to watch. That's what WC's are all about.

Personally, I'm only rooting for England because I'm a fan of Lingard and Young.

Last edited:

ChrisNelson

Last night I was really impressed with England for the first 20 minutes, it's as good as I can remember seeing them play in recent times.

However they looked to me like they ran out of steam/ ideas midway through the first half and it was a concern that the missed chances would come back to haunt them.

I'm 50/50 on the penalty to Tunisia - I'd have probably wanted it at the other end and when you raise your arms like that with an international referee there is a potential problem.

I think VAR is showing itself to be a complete joke. It seems to have solved nothing because it's still coming down to opinions too much. And there's no point having all those people sat in a room as extra eyes for the referee if they're going to miss such blatant shirt tugging and wrestling in the penalty area.

I said to my mate with about 10 minutes to go it would be so sweet if Kane won us the game in injury time after everything that had gone off. And he didn't let us down!

Overall the defence despite some shaky moments looked generally good, and I thought Tripper was our MOM although obviously Kane runs him close with his 2 goals.

Plenty to be positive about for the rest of the tournament and I hope Southgate shakes things up and makes a few changes so no one gets too comfortable in their position, and of course it will mean fresh legs too.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
You are joking, right ? Young did nothing wrong last night, he had a good game.
I didn't say he had a bad game, but it was just the usual average 'meh against a team that largely sat back to defend.

It just doesn't make sense to play a right-footed player as the left wing-back, especially in a system - 3 at the back- that gives more licence for wingbacks to get forward.

We saw how effective Trippier was on the right with his quick crosses than curve round behind the defender but keep away from the GK, but there was no chance of a repeat of this on the left side because Young can only send in crosses after he first checks back onto his right and sends in a cross that goes in front of the defender and curves towards the keeper - and these type of crosses are much easier to defend against.

Rose is a much better left wingback than Young - not just for crosses into the box, but also because he can actually go past the defender down the line and doesn't have to always check back.

MadMike

I didn't say he had a bad game, but it was just the usual average 'meh against a team that largely sat back to defend.

It just doesn't make sense to play a right-footed player as the left wing-back, especially in a system - 3 at the back- that gives more licence for wingbacks to get forward.

We saw how effective Trippier was on the right with his quick crosses than curve round behind the defender but keep away from the GK, but there was no chance of a repeat of this on the left side because Young can only send in crosses after he first checks back onto his right and sends in a cross that goes in front of the defender and curves towards the keeper - and these type of crosses are much easier to defend against.

Rose is a much better left wingback than Young - not just for crosses into the box, but also because he can actually go past the defender down the line and doesn't have to always check back.
Rose is undoubtedly the better LWB but only when he's on form. He spent the biggest part of the season on the sidelines and then being dropped for Ben Davies.

Maybe the player he is in training is not the the 2016 idealised version of Rose. Southgate is going off of what he sees in training, I presume. He doesn't strike me as the irrational type of coach.

Revaulx

Rose is undoubtedly the better LWB but only when he's on form. He spent the biggest part of the season on the sidelines and then being dropped for Ben Davies.

Maybe the player he is in training is not the the 2016 idealised version of Rose. Southgate is going off of what he sees in training, I presume. He doesn't strike me as the irrational type of coach.
Young has his limitations all right, but I think his leadership and team ethos is one of the reasons he’s valued by managers; certainly Jose, and presumably Southgate as well.

MadMike

Young has his limitations all right, but I think his leadership and team ethos is one of the reasons he’s valued by managers; certainly Jose, and presumably Southgate as well.
There's that side of it as well. He's a strong character and a vocal person who galvanises everyone around him. He's also a big game player, last season his best performances for us were in the big games, most memorably against Liverpool. He's generally very dependable.

I still think a peak Rose is unquestionably a better LB/LWB, but we just haven't seen that Rose in well over a year now.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
What chances did Trippier create with these crosses?
I'd have to rewatch the game to see. But he was MotM for me anyhow.

But the point is that crosses that curve behind defenders, yet away from the GK, are many times more dangerous than crosses which go in front of defenders and curve towards the GK. And the former type of cross can only usually be delivered by a right-footed player from the right or a left-footed player from the left.

acnumber9

He wipped one through for Lingard when he hit the post, and he took the corner that eventually lead to 2-1 at least.
Roughly about the same as Young as far as I can remember. Both had fairly similar games as far as I could see. I’m fact I’d go as far to say that England looked less threatening from set pieces when Trippier started taking more of them.

Denis' cuff

The effective playing time yesterday was 49m38s. Shocking.

Yep. Noting the usual 55-60, the 3 minute add on to the first half was a joke. Their keeper’s injury alone must’ve easily taken 3 mins. Then there was the penalty/var fiasco as well as the usual added time for goals scored. 6/7 mins and nobody would’ve batted an eyelid. That, before we even consider the time wasting. When you take three major penalty decisions that went against England into account, I think it’s fair to say at the least, the officials did not take an even view of events. A lot of adding up there and then, on top of that, the fact that not one of their players were booked despite constant fouling and time wasting, I can only think..... FIFA. Bahrain, Blatter, etc etc

Loublaze

ATLien
I don't see anything wrong with what you're saying, some just get easily offended. Whether you love or hate a side, the more emotion, more enjoyable it is to watch. That's what WC's are all about.

Personally, I'm only rooting for England because I'm a fan of Lingard and Young.
I knew you'd understand :lol:. Its the passion!

Revaulx

There's that side of it as well. He's a strong character and a vocal person who galvanises everyone around him. He's also a big game player, last season his best performances for us were in the big games, most memorably against Liverpool. He's generally very dependable.

I still think a peak Rose is unquestionably a better LB/LWB, but we just haven't seen that Rose in well over a year now.
He never looked like one in the slightest until LvG arrived, when he seemed to undergo a total personality transformation. Stopped being a diving cnut as well.

MadMike

He never looked like one in the slightest until LvG arrived, when he seemed to undergo a total personality transformation. Stopped being a diving cnut as well.
True. It might have been the case of finally maturing.

poleglass red

Not sure if it's been previously mentioned but Hazard going public saying he had to tell Lukaku to stop hiding in the 1st half v Panama: "It's not easy playing with a man missing," said Hazard. "At half-time, I told him we needed him."
He added: "He'd been hiding out a bit up front. But once he got in there, involved in the game, like magic, he scored two.
"I hope he understands that now."
I agree with Hazard for calling him out, but don't like players going public with these things. I think he has needed to be called out many times in our games, we just don't have that type to do it. Sad that a flair player like Hazard can do it though. In Lukaku's defence though the service to him in that first half was awful.