Day 6: Russia vs. South Korea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winrar

As a preview, South Korea played Russia about 8 months ago in an international friendly where they lost 1-2. Korea gave a good account of ourselves only for their keeper Sung-Ryong Jung to fail and cost us the game.

South Korea have played very poorly last couple of months, culminating in a 0-4 defeat against Ghana. Therefore I expect Russia to win, but I hope we at least improve on our poor performances and put up a good showing.

Last edited:

wonnie

Korea in really poor form - lost 4-0 against Ghana a week ago and also lost 1-0 in another friendly against Tunisia?

Would expect Russia to get the victory here...

wonnie

expect Russia to win...but in humid weather....Korea can run and run.
Nah. This team isn't as mentally as strong as 2002 or even 2006 and 2010. More of the players play in Europe now and I think there's a bit of complacency and nonchalance surrounding the squad. I get the feeling most of them think individually they are good players (and yes some of them are playing for fairly good teams in Europe) but they don't seem to produce or want to produce nearly as often as they are capable of.

Korea will leak goals. I could see a 3-1 for Russia or at best a 1-1 draw for Korea.

Hojoon

We (South Korea) have more holes in our defense than swiss cheese. Expect Russia to win.

Stocar

What a dull group.

On paper, Russians should take this, but they are perhaps the most unpredictable team in the world.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
I want to see the African and Asia teams do well but unfortunately they haven't shown much so far. With South Korea's poor form you can't see them getting anything against Russia. Does Capello have Russia playing the same as his England? Are we in for another crime against football?

Clas Sified

I'm biologically Korean, but I don't expect Korea to get anything from this. It's laughable reading the Korean media and seeing overconfident reports. They think Russia and Algeria will provide no competition and only Belgium will be a challenge. The whole nation needs a wake-up call. I'm expecting Russia to win here, and pretty comfortably. Korea have a few good players but they don't work well as a team.

Winrar

I'm biologically Korean, but I don't expect Korea to get anything from this. It's laughable reading the Korean media and seeing overconfident reports. They think Russia and Algeria will provide no competition and only Belgium will be a challenge. The whole nation needs a wake-up call. I'm expecting Russia to win here, and pretty comfortably. Korea have a few good players but they don't work well as a team.
To be fair the comments I'm reading from Korean news websites aren't giving us much of a chance.

I expect a close game with Russia rightly as slight (or maybe more) favorites between the neutrals, but a 0-4 defeat wouldn't shock me.

iheartnyc

Don't underestimate the Koreans. Supposedly the non-Europe playing members of the Korean national team have been training regularly together since January.

Cantonarightboot

Looking at recent results I am actually shocked how bad Korea's have been! I think Russia will take this 2-1... Close enough game probably but if I we're betting (and I am), I'd give it to Russia!

YoonS

What a dull match-up.

Having looked at South Korea's recent record, I was shocked to see how incapable they have been at scoring. And Russia with Capello at the helm, I would predict it to end in an anti-climatic goalless draw, or a 1-0 win to Russia at best.

Ruht

I really want the Asian teams to do well, unfortunately South Korea haven't been very impressive lately. I still think they could manage a draw here though. Not many goals in this I reckon, going to go with a 1:1 draw.

alsabi

Didn't this South Korean side lose twice to Iran in qualifying? Maybe they'll surprise us.

dasty

Korea were terrible against Ghana and Mexico coming into the World Cup while Russia topped their qualifying group with Portugal below them and were undefeated in their friendlies. Seems to be an easy win for Russia but looking at how things are going yesterday and today, I'm thinking that South Korea would win it.

Darkziro

Russia are as inconsistent as any team in the world, if they show up they could win 3-0 if not they could draw 0-0. Been some proper dull match ups since Monday.

Razvan

Russia: Akinfeev, Ignashevich, Glushakov, Kokorin, Berezutskiy (c), Shatov, Zhirkov, Samedov, Fayzulin, Eshchenko, Kombarov
South Korea: S R Jung, S Y Yun, Y G Kim, H M Son, C Y Park, Y Lee, J C Koo (c), K Y Han, S Y Ki, C Y Lee, J H Hong

JefferiesTube

Which team will click into gear? Hopefully BOTH :D

Intense build up to this match. The thread is already on page 1

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Russia -1 at 3/1 looks value here. They could definitely pull it against what seems to be a rather weak Korea side.

Eila

You never know. Mexico also lost their last two friendlies and were pitiful in the qualifiers. The players just have to step up, and South Korea has good players.

Dylan94

Unless Russia turn up and play with some cojones, this is going to be Nigeria v Iran part 2! I'm still excited enough to watch it though because the tournament has been brilliant so far. Hopefully they'll be some good Russian girls on show too ;)

Daslogisch

Supports
Ajax
Don´t rate South Korea. Their squad lacks quality players and they are tactically naìve. Russia will win, the question is by how many goals. South Korea´s luck might be that Russia´s coach is Capello who tends to be a little bit of a negative coach.

JefferiesTube

I am going for Russia 7-2 South Korea. I want a goal fest to finish of the first round of games :D

diablo182

Eshchenko and Glushakov are Russia's best players. Eshchenko is one of the best fullbacks in Europe imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.