Day 6: Wales vs Iran | Qatar vs Senegal | Netherlands vs Ecuador | England vs USA

whitbyviking

Southgate is an overly conservative and cautious coward. That game is his managerial style in microcosm. Get in a strong position and instead of going for the jugular he just holds on. Happened in the final against Italy. For someone who is allegedly very intelligent he absolutely does not learn.

Reactions: langster

Kopral Jono

I've come to the conclusion that if England absolutely needed to win that Southgate would have made the necessary changes and they'd have gone on to do so. But this excuse of a manager was too scared to get caught on the break, and knowing that his team are basically through with a draw, he decided not to push hard for the win.

Very pragmatic, but what an utter waste of world class talents.

Gycraig

Supports
Hull
I don't know how Karen Carney ( on the pitch side) said before the match started "England have as strong a bench as Brazil. " She is having a laugh Who is she trying to kid.
not quite Brazil levels admittedly but it’s a very very strong potentially very attacking squad. But we play like a relegation contender in the championship trying not to concede instead of going for it

Djemba-Djemba

He doesn't like Foden because of the incident where he got sent home and also I think Foden takes too many risks for a cowardly negative manager like Southgate.

He'd rather total plodders like Henderson and Mount who follow instructions and offer feck all.

TheRedHearted

If USA beat Iran and Wales beat England by more than a few USA and wales go on right? Don’t think it’s gonna happen but weird to think of it. Do think it’ll be England and USA

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
US has a more dynamic midfield trio than anything England can trot out and it showed.

The disappointment for England is that they had zero creativity from their front players aside from the Mount chance at the end of the first half
Honestly don’t know if this is true… BUT a midfield of Musah, Adams, and Mckennie is much much better than people probably think.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Kane and good performance? Hmm. They were all bad. Maguire looked good because everything was in the air and they never exploited his lack of pace. We will get ruined by a good team.
Brazil or Spain will ruin you, yes. That is England's barrier to winning this thing even with a WC manager. Southgate isn't making it easy though!

I thought you couldn't ask too much more of Kane without starting to nitpick. The midfield was nonexistent for you guys for a huge part of the game, leaving the defense with no outlet and the forwards stranded.

Just Hope

Very good match by usa. England seemed to have an attitude problem, everyone super relaxed, light pressing, kind of lazy.

Loved maguire's foal like dribbling on the first half.

edcunited1878

Honestly don’t know if this is true… BUT a midfield of Musah, Adams, and Mckennie is much much better than people probably think.
It is true. What actual midfield group can England put on the pitch? Rice is physically superior than Adams, but Adams does everything just as well as a defensive midfielder.

For how young Musah and McKennie are, they hold their own individually and as a group than England's central midfield.

And this is where Southgate holds back England. His insistence on a midfield two. Having Rice, Bellingham, and someone else playing as an 8 would work well if they actually utilized it properly, but they don't.

George The Best

Sterling and Mount should be nowhere near the starting XI v Wales, but probably will be, as Southgate obviously watches a different game to most of us. How Mount played the entire game is beyond comprehension.

Telsim

A dull game.

Southgate will be death of what could be a rather strong English squad. Terrible football. On the other end, good football by the Americans.

Waynne

He will resign after this world cup. Hope you will be great like before his appointment. :lol:
I'm hoping so. He has all the talent in the world and yet the USA played a better game. Some of the England pressing was embarrassing compared to the opposition.
Fecking get someone in that wants to win.

lex talionis

Southgate knows what he’s doing. He doesn’t want England to peak until the cup final…obviously.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

Man was everywhere.
He is slowly adding a range of passing and creativity to his game. In a few years he will be up there with discussion for best DM's in the world and is already a phenomenal leader on the pitch. Youngest WC captain in 60 years for the US.

Cantonagotmehere

USA played very well, they have to be very happy with that performance. They will be pissed off they did nit win.

Southgate blows, hopefully he is gone after this WC.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
The Americans look energetic, I have to say. Good midfield. Too bad they don't have a quality striker.

Kopral Jono

I expected the earlier two games to be boring encounters and the latter two great fun. As it turned out it's the opposite. I kind of feel cheated!

Wing Attack Plan R

After not qualifying for 2018, I’m happy with the way we (USA) are looking. Young players, only Ream has played in a World Cup, so it’s positive signs we’ve rebuilt from the disastrous Klinsman era.
Thought we should have won today. I said before the match that England have better players and the USA has a better team, and this illustrated the point. Our midfield played through England with ease. Our problems are: missing our first choice CB pairing, and not bringing a striker to Qatar.
Adams MOTM.

RopersReturn

With such a large population, an excellent infrastructure and a wealth of untapped talent, imagine how good England could be if they took football seriously.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
After not qualifying for 2018, I’m happy with the way we (USA) are looking. Young players, only Ream has played in a World Cup, so it’s positive signs we’ve rebuilt from the disastrous Klinsman era.
Thought we should have won today. I said before the match that England have better players and the USA has a better team, and this illustrated the point. Our midfield played through England with ease. Our problems are: missing our first choice CB pairing, and not bringing a striker to Qatar.
Adams MOTM.
Actually Ream hasn’t (Klinsy didn’t fancy him), Yedlin is only dude with WC experience. Agree with rest, although I think Zimmerman and Ream have done better than I expected.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Who votes on these things??? Adams was clearly the best US player on the pitch tonight. De Bruyne was probably onto something the other day about biggest/known name.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Who votes on these things??? Adams was clearly the best US player on the pitch tonight. De Bruyne was probably onto something the other day about biggest/known name.

And Musah was 2nd best, so not even top 2 for MAGAdona.

TheGame

It’s all well and good having your favourites but it means in form players at club level like Foden and Maddison don’t get a look it. No use made of the extra subs whilst USA made them all. What is the point of the squad. Ironically it was the defence we were worried about but it was the attacking players who were poor in this game.