Day 6: Wales vs Iran | Qatar vs Senegal | Netherlands vs Ecuador | England vs USA

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Match 17
Friday 25 November, 10.00 GMT @ Ahmed bin Ali Stadium
Group B

Match 18
Friday 25 November, 13.00 GMT @ Al Thumama Stadium
Group A

Match 19
Friday 25 November, 16.00 GMT @ Khalifa International Stadium
Group A

Match 20
Friday 25 November, 19.00 GMT @ Al Bayt Stadium
Group B​

Hanks

Really weird feelings here.

While I was glad to see Islamic Republic humiliated in the first match (as were many other Iranians, with several videos of people celebrating the loss on the streets), I am starting to feel bad for the players.

Starting to think they are stuck between rock and a hard place. They got trashed by regime newspapers after the game, and they don't seem to have won back the hearts of too many Iranians even after non-singing of the anthem, going by what I'm seeing. I'm also hearing rumours that players are under massive psychological pressure from both sides and just really want to get home and get out of the spotlight.

Can't stand that Portuegese Tony-Pulis-wanna be Queiroz though who insulted Iranian fans. I'm glad that Japan and KSA have shown him up.

I think under normal circumstances, we're more than a match for Wales, but currently, I can't see this team recovering mentally from Monday's humiliation and all else that's going on in the background.

However, if the players get their head sorted and Pulis starts both Taremi and Azmoun together, then we'll have a good chance. Also, our most dynamic midfielder Vahid Amiri is a staunch regime supporter, so if he starts he'll sing the anthem. But him starting probably increase our chances in this game. But I also despise him and hope he gets a career ending injury, because if he wasn't a footballer, he'd probably be on the streets shooting people now. So I hope he drops dead. I'm hearing the main goalie, Beiranvand is good to come back and start btw.

Anyways, all of this is nothing compared to the ruthless murder the regime is conducting in Kurdistan region now and funerals of children and teenagers every other day. Really puts things in perspective.

I'm gonna go with Wales 2-1 or 3-1 , but wouldn't be too shocked if Islamic Republic wins either.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Hope we can play a bit better tomorrow and win more comfortably.

Rumours are Timber will take De Ligt's place (yay) and Klaassen will be at 10 with Gakpo replacing Janssen up top (yay no Janssen but booooo Klaassen, give us Simons).

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
What are we thinking for England's line up then? Same again or does he throw in a Rashford or Grealish or Foden for Mount? Seems like Southgate likes to play Mount.

Should keep a back four surely? I don't see any reason to revert to a back five against the USA or Wales.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
First 2 games aren't interesting at all, Netherlands should be a comfortable display, England - USA should be intense though.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
What are we thinking for England's line up then? Same again or does he throw in a Rashford or Grealish or Foden for Mount? Seems like Southgate likes to play Mount.
If you're changing formation, sure. If you want someone in midfield to free up Bellingham, absolutely not.

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

Should keep a back four surely? I don't see any reason to revert to a back five against the USA or Wales.
Same again - strong attacking options from the bench though

Defence is the main worry, you'd assume USA will manage more threat from the start than Iran

OleGunnar20

Hope to god Moore and Allen start. We need to learn our lesson from the USA match and take some initiative here from the start. I'd like to see:

Hennessey
Mepham - Rodon - Davies
Roberts - Allen - Ampadu - Williams
Bale
Moore - Johnson

But expect James to start in place of Johnson and possibly Ramsey to be in there somewhere.

I think we'll edge it.

TheRedHearted

He should cement a starting 11 but only if he uses his five subs. As an American I don’t have much hope at all, rate England very highly and I’m just praying for a draw between Wales and Iran, then hoping we win against Iran and England smash Wales (even a draw against Wales and England would put us through with 4 and Wales with 3 and Iran with 1!

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
If you're changing formation, sure. If you want someone in midfield to free up Bellingham, absolutely not.
Hmm maybe the fact that I don’t think Mount is doing anything meaningful in games means he’s doing the job he’s in there for?
Same again - strong attacking options from the bench though

Defence is the main worry, you'd assume USA will manage more threat from the start than Iran
Yeah but I think they’ll be more inclined to sit back a bit. They came out fast against Wales but can’t play that open against our attacking options.
He should cement a starting 11 but only if he uses his five subs. As an American I don’t have much hope at all, rate England very highly and I’m just praying for a draw between Wales and Iran, then hoping we win against Iran and England smash Wales (even a draw against Wales and England would put us through with 4 and Wales with 3 and Iran with 1!
Yeah I think it’s between the US and Wales for the second spot personally.

Pronewbie

Peep
Based on the 1st round of matches, I think England and Argentina have the easiest groups. Hopefully Qatar and Iran put on a better showing today - they were woeful.

RedDevilMachine

England has never beaten USA in a competitive match, lost the first in 1950 WC and draw the second in 2010 WC. I expect this trend to be broken today. This US team isn't the past US golden generation team, England is far superior to them.

Tarrou

going to the Wales game, I hope we start with Moore up top

Dan James was like a rabbit in the head-lights against USA, if he starts we need him to turn up

we're already carrying Bale pretty much, but we need him on their for his goal threat

RoyH1

Based on the 1st round of matches, I think England and Argentina have the easiest groups. Hopefully Qatar and Iran put on a better showing today - they were woeful.
Argentina lost their first game? Are you sure you have the right group?
The Dutch have the easiest group and it’s not even close in my opinion.

NoPace

Hope we can play a bit better tomorrow and win more comfortably.

Rumours are Timber will take De Ligt's place (yay) and Klaassen will be at 10 with Gakpo replacing Janssen up top (yay no Janssen but booooo Klaassen, give us Simons).
Why does Koopmeiners not start with Berghuis as a 10? I assumed they'd play that way by the knockouts to steel up a bit.

NoPace

Yeah, when we were all arguing about who England was gonna play before the World Cup I kept coming to the conclusion that Mount and Phillips are the only options in a 4 at the back system really (alongside Rice and Bellingham who are nailed on, I mean) and Phillips isn't healthy yet and Southgate may just want him as plan B if England are in real trouble.

Lyng

I think this second round of games will tell us alot about the actual strength of the different teams. Will be interesting to see Iran vs Wales. if Iran are really that terrible or if it was England that made them look bad.

Pronewbie

Peep
Yes, the Argentinians decided not to turn up in the 2nd half and have a pointless coach. Mexico and Poland played the most dull football in the WC so far IMO and are fodder. Wales, Iran and the US also look poor.

I bet on the Dutch in the 1st match to win by 2 goals or more but got to say that Senegal are a good side and were very unlucky to lose 2-0. I reckon that they’d qualify if placed in England‘s or Argentina’s group. Qatar probably made the Ecuadorians look better than they are but I thought they looked very fluid and cohesive in the 1st half.

Anyway I might change my view after today’s games.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I think this second round of games will tell us alot about the actual strength of the different teams. Will be interesting to see Iran vs Wales. if Iran are really that terrible or if it was England that made them look bad.
Iran had a decent run before playing England, I expect they'll be a tough test for Wales. Think everyone is underestimating them, due to how they got blown away.

Pronewbie

Peep
This. I’m interested in the 1st 2 matches if only to ascertain the quality of those sides and will be leaving them on in the background

youngrell

Not sure why everyone is moaning about today’s games, one of the more even game days so far, which means we shouldn’t see too much parking the bus and hopefully a bit more competition.

RoyH1

Yes, the Argentinians decided not to turn up in the 2nd half and have a pointless coach. Mexico and Poland played the most dull football in the WC so far IMO and are fodder. Wales, Iran and the US also look poor.

I bet on the Dutch in the 1st match to win by 2 goals or more but got to say that Senegal are a good side and were very unlucky to lose 2-0. I reckon that they’d qualify if placed in England‘s or Argentina’s group. Qatar probably made the Ecuadorians look better than they are but I thought they looked very fluid and cohesive in the 1st half.

Anyway I might change my view after today’s games.
I don't think Mexico is as bad as you make them out to be. They have no world class players up front but they play well enough. I don't think the likes of Senegal would beat them in a group game in a World Cup to be honest but I know that's heresy around these parts. I also don't think the likes of Qatar or Iran would beat Poland, dour and boring as they are.
Boring football is not synonymous with lack of quality. I'd rather watch my local pub team than watch Switzerland or a Zlatan-less Sweden. But that doesn't mean my local pub teams is better than them

Wal2Fra

Seen a few complaints about Ramsey, but I thought he was our best player in the 2nd half (everyone except Davies and Williams were poor in the 1st half to be fair) but the 2nd half Ramsey was moving he ball quickly, finding spaces and picking out some good passes. He obviously isn’t the player he was and age/injuries have caught up with him, like Bale but he put in a solid shift for the final 45.

Moore made a difference when he came on and I think James will be great off the bench today. Need to go at it from the off, goal difference can (and will likely) be the deciding factor between us and the usa for 2nd place.

Pronewbie

Peep
I don't think Mexico is as bad as you make them out to be. They have no world class players up front but they play well enough. I don't think the likes of Senegal would beat them in a group game in a World Cup to be honest but I know that's heresy around these parts. I also don't think the likes of Qatar or Iran would beat Poland, dour and boring as they are.
Boring football is not synonymous with lack of quality. I'd rather watch my local pub team than watch Switzerland or a Zlatan-less Sweden. But that doesn't mean my local pub teams is better than them
When I mentioned dull I was also referring to their outdated tactical setup and lack of cutting edge in their play. I don't think it's controversial to put Mexico, Poland, Wales (with retirement Bale), USA, Saudi Arabia and Iran below Senegal (AFCON champs) based on what little I've seen over the past year. Ecuador's football was also surprisingly cohesive and fluid, albeit against a very poor Qatar.

Like I said, today's matches will give us a clearer picture and I'll be happy to change my view.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
If England score and pressure like they did against Iran I can't see them losing. The worry is that they go 1-0 up and tighten or the US take the lead and they crumble. It should be another easy game.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Why does Koopmeiners not start with Berghuis as a 10? I assumed they'd play that way by the knockouts to steel up a bit.
That's what I'd like to see as well, but our King has other plans it seems. Klaassen has done quite well statistically under Van Gaal so he has some credit. And he did score I suppose. I just really dislike the type of player (like Donny or Guus Til).

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
From this, I tumbled into the origin of "French fries" and discovered this nice stat:
The average American consumes a whopping 30 pounds of french fries per year. In total, Americans consume an estimated 4.5 billion pounds of french fries per year. Approximately 25% of all vegetables consumed by Americans are french fries.

PoTMS

Which one will be the 0-0 of today's set of games?

TheGame

Foden should be starting for Mount and I would prefer Rashford for Sterling but Southgate won't change it. He's got a hard on for Mount and Sterling.