Day 7: Portugal vs Morocco, Uruguay vs Saudi Arabia and Iran vs Spain

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Thought Iran were o.k actually. Defensive but they had a fair few attempts in second half.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Wright and Evra look like they want to chin Billic. He just keeps interrupting them.
Bilic is an absolutely awful pundit, like, the worst, most unpleasant to watch I can think of.

He really comes across as a bitter, sour shithead. He seems to have zero conversational skills and creates a weird, almost sketchy atmosphere in the studio. Trying to bully other pundits and dominate the discussion, badly.

It makes me cringe watching him, and good to see Wrighty (and Keano) really standing up to him.

tehrani09

Quite ironic those two examples happen to be from Women's football and the dude attempting this happens to be from Iran where Women are not even allowed to attend matches, copy their moves though.
Iran's football team is pushing for the inclusion of women in the game. The captain of the team met with the president to push for the change before going to russia. Blaming the players for the ban is like blaming ANC for apartheid.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Loose match of Spain. Despite the good defense of Iran they lacked ideas. They did not take advantage of Lucas except in a few minutes of the second half.
All the passes to the area were low balls. Even on the radio they wondered if it would be a team order.
Iniesta doesn't have legs. He can not play from the beginning.
I do not trust Hierro too much. Very slow in the substitutions. After scoring, we should have controlled more the ball.
Carvajal is very bad. Maybe he needs minutes but we should think about Nacho / Odriozola.
The best Isco and Costa

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Isco is a player I don't understand, people keep repeating he's had great games when he spent the whole game adding nothing. Happened against us and it happened again today. His technical ability is great but he doesn't really create anything with it most of the time and he just ends up holding the ball for too long.

El-Buitre

Supports
Real Madrid
I would play with Nacho Koke and Thiago instead of Carvajal Iniesta and Silva, Iniesta and Silva are just hasbeens to be honest. Poor game from Spain but Iran were pathetic they parked the bus and the plane and waited for us and that's about it..it's always difficult to play a team playing so defensively, we might play Uruguay in the 1/8 and they will be playing like Iran played tonight, should be a close game.

Last edited:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Isco is a player I don't understand, people keep repeating he's had great games when he spent the whole game adding nothing. Happened against us and it happened again today. His technical ability is great but he doesn't really create anything with it most of the time and he just ends up holding the ball for too long.
come on, deixa o vinho

rollingstoned1

Source please? I'd be interested to know.
Any non Greek source partial to Alexander. He took a wife from that area before he left. Nothing admittedly that I can give you that is unanimously accepted in the West where this story of his victory has become commonplace.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Forgetting his contribution with Madrid: The game of Spain is based on fluidity in the circulation of the ball and especially in that it is not continually interrupted with losses, which provoke many counters(you've already seen how weak the defense seems), knead and knead the ball until the occasion arrives. In that he is being the best, and more now that Iniesta seems without that millisecond that allowed him to anticipate the play (today he lost several balls).
Isco is not necessarily the one who assists, but the "pre-assist", opening to the winger, or combining between lines, another of his virtues.
He plays very well in short spaces, between lines and is able to move forward if necessary. Logically he has been criticized a lot for the keeping the ball too much, especially in Madrid, but in general, in my opinion is playing a great world cup.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Forgetting his contribution with Madrid: The game of Spain is based on fluidity in the circulation of the ball and especially in that it is not continually interrupted with losses, which provoke many counters(you've already seen how weak the defense seems), knead and knead the ball until the occasion arrives. In that he is being the best, and more now that Iniesta seems without that millisecond that allowed him to anticipate the play (today he lost several balls).
Isco is not necessarily the one who assists, but the "pre-assist", opening to the winger, or combining between lines, another of his virtues.
He plays very well in short spaces, between lines and is able to move forward if necessary. Logically he has been criticized a lot for the keeping the ball too much, especially in Madrid, but in general, in my opinion is playing a great world cup.
I think he's been good but Silva was better today imo and Isco was part of the problem in the first half by not really creating anything worth noting. Just lots of possession, lots of pretty flicks but no actual end product. He's important in those big games and he guarantees that his team are always great on the ball but against parked buses he's too one dimentional imo. I think people get caught up in his technical ability and say he'd had a great game even when he wasn't really effective.

I think to win the World Cup Spain will have to put a more defensive minded midfielder next to Busquets by the way, the way both Iran and Portugal were able to get into dangerous situations with very simple football should be worrying and I still think Javi Martinez shouldn't have stayed at home.

I'd play Busquets-Thiago-Koke instead of Busquets-Silva-Iniesta in the tougher games

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Spain are a weird one. Undoubtedly they're an excellent team. Their passing is always fluid and nice to watch, even if it's not quite as impressive as it was during their golden era, and generally as a team they seem very cohesive. Squad-wise they're full of quality players and thus far they've been fairly entertaining...but it also feels like there's something missing, or something that's holding them back. Despite their quality on the ball they didn't feel particularly incisive tonight at times, struggling to create clear-cut attacks against an Iran side who - while resilient - shouldn't have been too difficult to break down. Similarly, despite their obvious quality at the back, sometimes it felt like they were a bit vulnerable when Iran took the initiative, as if caught by surprise that they might not win.

Will be interesting to see how they do. Obviously one of the favourites, and hard to dispute their play so far considering they nearly beat Portugal as well, but not necessarily brilliant either.

Uruguay-SA game earlier was beyond brutal. Can see a Portugal-Uruguay game potentially being a bit brutal barring an early goal since both teams aren't always the prettiest, despite their quality.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I thought it looked like a potential goalfest on paper. The big teams seem to be approaching small teams with a level of complacency though.
It's weird. Granted, some of the big nations do have to adjust to their players playing alongside each other on a competitive basis regularly, something they only do every couple of players, but a team like Spain has plenty of teammates playing alongside each other, and while some big sides may be tentative in coming up against relatively unknown sides, you'd think the many coaches and sports scientists they employ are more equipped than they've ever been to assess and evaluate even the most obscure opposition sides.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
I thought it looked like a potential goalfest on paper. The big teams seem to be approaching small teams with a level of complacency though.
I don't think it was complacency.

Both Iran and Morocco have incredible defensive records, they concede very few goals and despite the first game Portugal and Spain aren't really the type of teams to score a lot either. Uruguay even less so.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Yes, I read it, so resentful.
I think he's been good but Silva was better today imo and Isco was part of the problem in the first half by not really creating anything worth noting. Just lots of possession, lots of pretty flicks but no actual end product. He's important in those big games and he guarantees that his team are always great on the ball but against parked buses he's too one dimentional imo. I think people get caught up in his technical ability and say he'd had a great game even when he wasn't really effective.

I think to win the World Cup Spain will have to put a more defensive minded midfielder next to Busquets by the way, the way both Iran and Portugal were able to get into dangerous situations with very simple football should be worrying and I still think Javi Martinez shouldn't have stayed at home.

I'd play Busquets-Thiago-Koke instead of Busquets-Silva-Iniesta in the tougher games
I would play 4-2-3-1 with Busquets -Koke/Saúl and Asensio -Isco-Silva, by the way who do you prefer if we go through? Russia or Uruguay

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I don't think it was complacency.

Both Iran and Morocco have incredible defensive records, they concede very few goals and despite the first game Portugal and Spain aren't really the type of teams to score a lot either. Uruguay even less so.
Yeah I agree. The approach has been slow though. Could argue they're just controlling the game but it'd be very easy to end up with a 0-0.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Yes, I read it, so resentful.

I would play 4-2-3-1 with Busquets -Koke/Saúl and Asensio -Isco-Silva, by the way who do you prefer if we go through? Russia or Uruguay
I don't care, I just want to go through and after watching Iran today I'm scared :lol:

I think Uruguay haven't looked as good as I was expecting but their game will be more suited to the knockouts and Godin + Gimenez pretty much make me think we'd end up going to penalties after a boring 0-0. Russia have looked a lot better than I was expecting but I'd still prefer them even if they're at home.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I don't care, I just want to go through and after watching Iran today I'm scared :lol:

I think Uruguay haven't looked as good as I was expecting but their game will be more suited to the knockouts and Godin + Gimenez pretty much make me think we'd end up going to penalties after a boring 0-0. Russia have looked a lot better than I was expecting but I'd still prefer them even if they're at home.
Perfect, I would like to avoid the host. We should prepare some "biscotto" :D

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
There's a tradition of sounding trumpets and horns in football grounds in Kazan and other places? I don't think so. I don't know horns are being used.
In Kazan? I don't know. But during the Morocco vs Iran game some people on the Caf said it's part of their fans' culture and they all love that shit in those countries.