Day 7: Spain vs. Chile

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
So is DDG still 'injured' or was he just overlooked?

Dylan94

But not after a team has pretty much been the dominating side in world football for six years. France's win was heavily supported by the Brazil - Ronaldo affair, who were the best team at that time and Italy went out against Spain in the Euros, could hardly be considered favourites in 2010.
True but I'm still not amazed by it. We saw Spain get destroyed by Brazil last year, for me that was a sign that their cycle at the top was coming to and end. All good teams go through them, and they'll be back in the future.

stu_1992

Casillas really needs to be out of the team at this stage. Only surviving off past glories atm. Shame De Gea is injured atm, would be a great chance for him. I'd still put Reina in there ahead of him, you can't justify this form. The defending wasn't great either, but still. Xabi Alonso is having a shocker too, his passes is all over the place, especially his set pieces, and he's being really rash in his tackles.

It would be crazy to see Spain go out so early. I know they weren't as heavily tipped as before, but I thought people were under-rating them. Certainly no-one would predict they could go out at the group stage.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
What are you on about? He was one of Madrid's best players this season. They looked a completely different team without him in the Final.
No he wasn't. They don't have a like-for-like replacement so had to play an unfit Khedira, hence the difference. He had a really mediocre season though, Modric and Di María both outshined him in midfield alone.

DrRodo

Honest worker, never posts
Man this is one of those moments when football bring tears to your eyes. I cant believe were 2-0 up! To the second half!!! :devil:

Saad K

Undergoing Verification
Back on Xavi.. anyone find anything on that?

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
"Whether vargas will be received back in valencia after this, who knows?" Commentator is right. They'll probably kill Vargas once he returns to Spain.

Lyricist

Got a feeling Chile will beat the Dutch. Chile are pretty good really...but I'm basing my opinion about Netherlands - Chile on how average the Dutch squad seems aside of that front three. For Chile literally every players looks energetic.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
I can't wait to read the Spanish press if Spain do go out in this fashion.
They are even more innovative than the British press in finding ways to humiliate their teams and crazy frontpages.
Casillas' missus said if Spain get knocked out in the group stages she'll do the post match interview naked.....happy days

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
In a way it's a shame both Chile and Holland will already have qualified by the time they meet. It would have been interesting to see them both go at it. Now it's likely both will rest players and prepare for the next round.
Doubt it - neither side will want to face Brazil in the next round, especially not Chile. They'll be fighting with all they have to win the group.

paulscholes18

I wonder if teams will play 5-3-2 vs barca next season as its working very well vs Spain

Someone

Something
France 2002 and Italy 2010 don't come close to this Spanish squad, this is a squad full of excellent players sitting on the bench.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
You can play Tiki Taka if you press aggressively from the front, stop the other side playing out and dominate the ball. Spain are doing none of those things.

The squad Del Bosque picked are too old to play the way he wants them to. It's like trying to play a high line with John Terry. If Del Bosque had picked Iturraspe, De Marcos, Herrera, Llorente, Morata, Carvajal...With young, energetic players Del Bosque could've played the way he wants to. But this squad? No way.

nab

Vidal doesn't look very comfortable without Pirlo and Pogba alongside him. I suppose that's understandable but I've been disappointed with him.
I'll just quote this again for fun. It's incredible how dumb people can be.

RedStarUnited

Spain are not boring anymore are they? Haha. Bet there are Spanish fans out there who wish they were again.

The decline of Barcelona killed this team.

Okocha119

True but I'm still not amazed by it. We saw Spain get destroyed by Brazil last year, for me that was a sign that their cycle at the top was coming to and end. All good teams go through them, and they'll be back in the future.
True, but then again Spain got outplayed by the United States (!) at the 2009 Confed Cup, so I have learned not to take that tournament seriously. Still pretty shocking to me, especially after seeing the spanish teams dominate Europe this season.

Oneunited26

One plays for Madrid and Del Bosque loves them.
Yea lol, that is why I said weird. How Casillas even started this tournament, when he is not even Madrid's number 1 keeper. But I forget, del bosque managed Madrid, Casillas is a Madrid player, out 2 and 2 together

Mourinho must be laughing at the Spanish press now, when he looks back during his time at Madrid with why he dropped Casillas

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
I DON'T believe Wikipedia, that's why I said I'd do some research ;) Just saying that claiming something as fact because of something FM says is bonkers.
Well, FM actually uses real scouts and real data so I'll trust their information more than most. And I was unaware of him having Chilean nationality like many in this thread until I came across it on FM.

Just saying, Barcelona/Spain are disgraceful. No doubt @FCBarca and his cronies are going to chime in and defend this absolute disgrace of an act.

voetball777

Got a feeling Chile will beat the Dutch. Chile are pretty good really...but I'm basing my opinion about Netherlands - Chile on how average the Dutch squad seems aside of that front three. For Chile literally every players looks energetic.
Australia had chances to equalize against Chile too. But Holland without RVP as well might be the difference.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
No he wasn't. They don't have a like-for-like replacement so had to play an unfit Khedira, hence the difference. He had a really mediocre season though, Modric and Di María both outshined him in midfield alone.
Did you not witness Madrid's form during his injury and their results after he was inserted back in? He had a very good season and was exceptional against Bayern in particular.