Day 7: Tunisia vs Australia | Poland vs Saudi Arabia | France vs Denmark | Argentina vs Mexico

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Given recent events, Messi goals are probably being celebrated like United goals in most quarters in these parts.

Mental take from the newbie.
Even without it, there is a fair amount of us that prefer Messi and always have.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
When you look at the emotions in their celebrations, you will realize how much pressure this team is under. It's a pity they don't seem to have the quality to go all the way. There is a heartbreak coming.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
Argentina’s biggest problem is probably they lack the quality of great midfields who can carry the ball forward or press resistant midfielders and another one would be too much turnovers and silly passes.

Their midfields face a big trouble against a pressing team.

Pintu

Not counting Costa Rica, who wins the worst squad so far?

I think it’s between Qatar and Mexico.

Smacky The Frog

Happy for Messi, but if Argentina continue playing like this he's not getting anything close to a fairytale ending. Two low percentage shots leading to goals and didn't create much else. Barely even looked like a team. Mexico offered nothing and got nothing in return.

Zen

On what basis? Saudi scored 2 against them and this Mexico team were toothless.
Saudi's xG was historically low to be fair for a team scoring 2 goals. But you know, xG isn't an actual goal. It's also easier to build a team to be a defensive unit which Argentina are fully capable of and have proven to be, they aren't flush with attacking talent. The other problem with the Saudi game was Argentina picked some ultra soft teams in preparation for this tournament - purely to pump Messi's stats instead of keeping their focus in check.

Yeah. I'm not writing them off, but I think this tournament is mega open. But come the knockouts, 0-0 and 1-0's galore.

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Poland need a draw to win group,however very risky to play for that against a renewed Argentina
A draw does not guarantee Poland topping the group as SA can top it by winning mexico, and i think that SA has a better chance than people think

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Argentina’s biggest problem is probably they lack the quality of great midfields who can carry the ball forward or press resistant midfielders and another one would be too much turnovers and silly passes.
I think they lack pace. They’re ordinary in that department

RedDevilMachine

Argentina always make it so hard for themselves in World Cup. Job still not done yet, they still need to beat Poland. They are very lucky they are in this group with Mexico and Poland being so poor. Swap them with Germany in their group and I can't see them getting out.

Telsim

Argentina looked instantly better with Julian Alvarez and Enzo Fernandes. I don't know why they don't start. Lautaro was really bad.

Mexico's "peformance" was unworthy of this competition.

PoTMS

Hopefully, Argentina pump Poland by a few and Saudi sneak into second.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
International managers, with the exception of Enrique, are cowardly conservative.

They always prefer to stick by what they know instead of taking risks.
It doesn't help that they don't get a lot of opportunities to try new players and systems. Especially with this world cup, where there were hardly any friendly matches and preparation time.

croadyman

Enzo fernandez is yet another young player that united should have signed before he showed up at a world cup. Now benfica will ask for 100m

Amazing how he changed the game and took the midfield for his side. And that goal to top it off
Think Erik did all he could to sign him in summer

RedDevilRoshi

Wouldn't give Saudi's a prayer against France
Of course, but I’d rather see them qualify from the group than Poland. They play the more entertaining football and not afraid to have a go. Poland will just be a snorefest as they just sit back all game.

Kopral Jono

Group C is many things but if one thing I know for certain is that Mexico won't go through. They're an absolutely terrible side. Argentina made things hard for themselves.