Day 7: Tunisia vs Australia | Poland vs Saudi Arabia | France vs Denmark | Argentina vs Mexico

PoTMS

For those saying Argentina won't go far, you need to see the brackets. If they finish top as expected, they will probably face Australia or Denmark in the next round followed by Netherlands or USA in the quarter's. All very much beatable teams who have also looked shaky and if they do manage to win them, they're in the semi's before they know it.

SambaBoy

Full-backs absolutely terrible for Argentina again. As others have said, they need to improve massively to even be in with a shout of winning however I can't see where that is coming from. L.Martinez didn't get any service and I can't think of one chance they made.

Wayne's World

For those saying Argentina won't go far, you need to see the brackets. If they finish top as expected, they will probably face Australia or Denmark in the next round followed by Netherlands or USA in the quarter's. All very much beatable teams who have also looked shaky and if they do manage to beat them before they know it, they're in the semi's.
This, they need to beat Poland and If they do it really opens up for them

Ramos

For those saying Argentina won't go far, you need to see the brackets. They will probably face Australia or Denmark in the next round followed by Netherlands or USA. All very much beatable and then before you know it, they're in the semi's.
They still need to beat Poland though, who will be fighting for a point or they could face France again. And Denmark isn't necessarily the easiest R2 opponent.

But overall you're right, they're in the good side of the draw.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
Even without it, there is a fair amount of us that prefer Messi and always have.
Yeah I feel like he's always pretty clearly been the better overall player, despite what the diehard Ronaldo fans think.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I will never understand why managers handicap themselves by making these baffling decisions
In fairness, he hadn't tested Fernández under pressure, now he knows.

It's all well and good seeing players at their clubs or in training but until you've seen then deliver for you when the chips are down it's hard not to go with the devil you know.

That's why de Paul starts and will continue to start. I actually expect him to have a much better game once Fernández takes the weight that had fallen on his shoulders.

antohan

They still need to beat Poland though, who will be fighting for a point or they could face France again.
Why does everyone assume Saudi isn't getting 6 points? Have you not watched the same Mexican side as I just did?

Deicide

Messi is the best i ever seen..even on a vulgar Argentina.also a brutal goal by enzo.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Why does everyone assume Saudi isn't getting 6 points? Have you not watched the same Mexican side as I just did?
Yeah, Saudis are still in this and I wouldn't be surprised if they beat this god awful Mexico side.

jesperjaap

I will never understand why managers handicap themselves by making these baffling decisions
Yes, i guess we dont see the influence in a dressing room or other off field things. I think Siuthgate has done well overall regardless of his lucky draws and home advantage....but Im still smarting from those Euros that we lost that tournament in my eyes by his failure both selection wise and very much from the bench...we should have won that final, he made the wrong decisions.

Of course everybody is going to have differnt opinions on starting line ups etc, but just about every pundit has been baffled by his failuire to use Foden in the last game. I find it astonishing the omment both players and he made after that game about the only thing being wrong was there work in the last 1.3 of the pitch with the final pass.....they barely got there!

I said to a friend it will cost us in this world cup too....but saying that, some of the players I am seein gon the benches of other sides barely getting minutes or not a tall I find absolutely baffling to so England are hardly alone

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
There's a potentially funny and really ridiculous scenario in group C where if Mexico and Argentina win 2-0 the 2nd place spot out of Poland and Mexico will go to the team with the least yellow cards. Poland are on 4 and Mexico are on 6 currently.

Ramos

Yeah, phrased it wrong. Should have said "could face France again or even be eliminated".

jesperjaap

Yeah, Saudis are still in this and I wouldn't be surprised if they beat this god awful Mexico side.
Agree, mexico have about 5 good players, two of them are very old and the short space between games could take a toll.

Same token I wouldnt guarantee Argentina to beat Australia. A lot of people saying how good there squad is.....there is no Aguero, Batistuta, Tevez up front, never been impressed by Martinez up front and down both flanks they are bang average defensively and offensively. Think overall its a very average Argentina side. Messi liek Ronaldo isnt the same Messi, but as we hav eseen again he is still capable of the odd moment of mamgic, dont think thats enough. I do think Romero and Martinez are smashign centre bakcs though and in Enzo Fernandez they have a real star in the making....but I dont see that arrying them beyong a quarter final place tbh

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
For those saying Argentina won't go far, you need to see the brackets. If they finish top as expected, they will probably face Australia or Denmark in the next round followed by Netherlands or USA in the quarter's. All very much beatable teams who have also looked shaky and if they do manage to win them, they're in the semi's before they know it.
Big assumption they can even win the group. I wouldn't be surprised if they finished second or even got eliminated since Saudis get Mexico and Poland can be scrappy.

Even if they somehow won their group, any of those nations could knock Argentina out. They are most ripe for an upset of the top 6-7 sides going in. I wouldn't be surprised see Poland and Saudi go through after today.

croadyman

Yeah definitely starting to look like IF we can get past second round tie we will face our hardest World Cup QF since 2002

Last edited:

SerendipityNow

Supports
Barcelona
So much wrong with Argentina I dont know where to start. Scaloni really needs to improve the team mentally and tactically. I really dont see them winning against Poland. Saudia Arabia and Poland 1 and 2.

lonelyred

They still need to beat Poland though, who will be fighting for a point or they could face France again. And Denmark isn't necessarily the easiest R2 opponent.

But overall you're right, they're in the good side of the draw.
Isn't there a big possibility that Poland will go out if they lose to Argentina?

Edit: Sorry, just saw your correction

antohan

It's very imbalanced. So much so that I wouldn't be surprised if Southgate is planning for a low score loss vs Wales as an option.

Last edited:

AndyMUFC

Argentina Mexico was probably the worst quality game in the tournament saved by those two goals really.

Pocho

Baby steps. 30 minutes of good football. Messi, Lisandro, Enzo and eight more.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

This looks like the worst Mexico team i've watched at the world cup. They are usually a good team to watch technically and full of atacking energy, but this side has shown nothing so far.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
And was Ohsimen your favourite a year ago? Both would be good options for us.
Yeah, mentioned him a few times as I follow Napoli a lot. Lautaro is fine but will never be world class. Argentina look better without him

one340

He's ruined any chance for us to advance. From our crap tactics, especially in the 2nd half, to the players he selected to take for the world cup. Mexico has regressed since he has taken the position. The Mexican federation doesn't help the situation but today's loss is on Tata's team selection and tactics

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
It’s been an awful World Cup so far hasn’t it? Feel like I’ve spent all of Friday and Saturday watching the games and they just haven’t delivered much of anything.

Womp

idiot
Harry Souttar is actually a decent defender. I must admit he is probably the only Australian player I’d have at United as a squad player. Offers a bit more than Maguire
I think Garang Kuol will be class too. Watched him live a few times in the A-league (yes, I know) and he looked class. Ran rings around my Wanderers only a few weeks ago, giving us our only loss of the season so far. I think he will end up surprising quite a few people in a few years with his performances at Newcastle.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
It’s been an awful World Cup so far hasn’t it? Feel like I’ve spent all of Friday and Saturday watching the games and they just haven’t delivered much of anything.
I'd say it's been pretty good so far.

From today and yesterday, Iran vs Wales was a great game, Saudi vs Poland and France vs Denmark today were really good games too... In fact the only "bad" game in the past two days was the England /USA game

NecssryEvil

How are Mexico not a bigger footballing nation?
More than twice as many inhabitants as Argentina. Is football not their biggest sport? How do they not produce a world class player every now and then?
Drug cartels killing people by the thousands? Not that young men in other countries all have it easy, but the talent pool is def not what it could be.

marktan

Any Denmark fans know why Braithwaite and Y.Poulsen don't get more game time? From both the games I watched neither of Skov Olsen, Cornelius or Lindstrom semeed to do anything at all.

I know Denmark have used 5 at the back for a while, but I'm thinking if a 4-3-3 would not suit them better. Get more of the attackers to provide width and actually create something. Surely Poulsen - striker - Damsgard is better than what they've been doing so far.

In fact know that I think about it, most of the teams playing 5 at the back have struggled. France and England have both switched back to 4-3-3. Wales, Denmark, Mexico, Tunisia, Serbia and even Belgium have looked pretty crap playing with it. The two I can think of that have done reasonably well with are Netherlands and Ecuador, and the former struggled a bit to. It's interesting how managers adopts other's styles, a formula pushed by Conte, Tuchel etc, but I think it shows a lack of tactical strength in some managers because you need very specific type of players to play it effectively.

Darkhorsez

Mostly agree apart from the bold part … or Iran :)