Day 7: Tunisia vs Australia | Poland vs Saudi Arabia | France vs Denmark | Argentina vs Mexico

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
I won't be surprised if Poland gets a 0-0 or 1-1 draw against Argentina.

There's no doubt in my mind Saudi will beat Mexico, can't see any goals in the Mexican play at the moment and I think Saudi will manage to bury a chance or two that they did not against Poland.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Messi saves Argentina again. Brilliant moment for him

But jaysus Argentina are such a poor team. De Paul, Mac Allister, fullbacks who lack dynamism and pace, Lauturo who is so hyped up but just seems to be a poacher but no hold up play and Di Maria who was done ages back. I have no idea how this lot managed to go on an unbeaten run but even if they make it past the group they'll get swatted with ease by the first decent team they play. Just like France did in 2018. Even Portugal could twat them I reckon if they met.

They need a new generation to come up over the next decade.

NoPace

Full-backs absolutely terrible for Argentina again. As others have said, they need to improve massively to even be in with a shout of winning however I can't see where that is coming from. L.Martinez didn't get any service and I can't think of one chance they made.
Maybe Lisandro at LB and bring back the Otamendi-Romero pairing. At least you know the LB can pass it properly. Play the best attacking RB you have, though not sure if that's Montiel anyways?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Benfica will probably ask more than 100. He's class. He has been very good in the Portuguese league but even better in the CL
What kind of midfielder is he? Could he be a playmaker?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It’s remarkable how many good international teams have incompetent managers that are tactically dreadful. England and Argentina could be so much better than they are.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I'd say it's been pretty good so far.

From today and yesterday, Iran vs Wales was a great game, Saudi vs Poland and France vs Denmark today were really good games too... In fact the only "bad" game in the past two days was the England /USA game
You’ve got a different threshold than me then. France v Denmark was okay. Saudi V Poland likewise but Iran v wales was drab right until the end. Netherlands was incredibly boring, as was Ecuador v Senegal. Just doesn’t look like the players have the energy to play at full intensity and there’s been hardly any goals.

SambaBoy

Maybe Lisandro at LB and bring back the Otamendi-Romero pairing. At least you know the LB can pass it properly. Play the best attacking RB you have, though not sure if that's Montiel anyways?
I was thinking the 3 CB's and two wing backs of Di Maria-Papu Gomez/X. Not sure if that would be too offensive however as Di Maria/Papu aren't going to do much defending but the 3 CB's are solid enough and if they have a DM who can cover a lot of ground it might work. Obviously risky if they haven't played that way before to start in a world cup. Also risk losing the attacking threat of Di Maria if he's a lot deeper. Not really sure what the best way forward is for them.

As others have said too, the pressure was massive on them and you could sense it in their play and at the end the way they celebrated.

MDFC Manager

You’ve got a different threshold than me then. France v Denmark was okay. Saudi V Poland likewise but Iran v wales was drab right until the end. Netherlands was incredibly boring, as was Ecuador v Senegal. Just doesn’t look like the players have the energy to play at full intensity and there’s been hardly any goals.
I think there's been plenty of intensity, but the finishing in most games has been fecking atrocious.

Oranges038

Anyone have a gif of that moment the Australia defender went for the ball around the half way line and it bounced up, hit him in the face and he fell on his arse?

One of the funniest things I've seen on a football pitch for a while.

marktan

I would agree. The teams that have energy like Saudi make for better viewing. Probably because European teams have had no break, whereas prior to the summer world cup you get a bit of a break. Saudi league has had a month off. Heat likely isn't helping.

Bobski

Agreed, the intensity is higher than the last World Cup but finishing and shooting have been subpar so far.
I think the general technical level has been below par, to the point where I would be expecting mass complaining about either the ball or pitches. Intensity has been good, especially given the conditions but the quality level has been disappointing, particularly from the attacking players. Really poor selection here of CF's and CM'S which given they are the 2 areas Utd need quality in, is a little concerning.

antk

I would agree. The teams that have energy like Saudi make for better viewing. Probably because European teams have had no break, whereas prior to the summer world cup you get a bit of a break. Saudi league has had a month off. Heat likely isn't helping.
Heat isn't any higher than most WCs, especially with so many games being played at late hours. Today is hotter than most previous days and it's 32C right now at peak sun time.

marktan

Heat isn't any higher than most WCs, especially with so many games being played at late hours. Today is hotter than most previous days and it's 32C right now at peak sun time.
True but acclimatisation might be an issue, most players are coming from winter straight into a the summer heat.

TenonTen

Supports
Neutral
This "fan" though. Openly and proudly plastic!! :lol:

Idxomer

I think the general technical level has been below par, to the point where I would be expecting mass complaining about either the ball or pitches. Intensity has been good, especially given the conditions but the quality level has been disappointing, particularly from the attacking players. Really poor selection here of CF's and CM'S which given they are the 2 areas Utd need quality in, is a little concerning.
Not one goal scored from a freekick so far is also making me question the quality of both.

I've mostly enjoyed the tournament but maybe that's due to my low expectations. Regardless, I think we'll have a better final 8 than we had in Russia.

Bobski

Not one goal scored from a freekick so far is also making me question the quality of both.

I've mostly enjoyed the tournament but maybe that's due to my low expectations. Regardless, I think we'll have a better final 8 than we had in Russia.
Long range shooting has been woeful as well, but you can attribute that in large part to analytics making that a bad play.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Probably, but I think this being the end of a generation of players is contributing massively to the mediocre standard. Hopefully by the next WC we will be seeing a new group assert themselves and a higher level.
There's always been a generational change at some point in any given WC. You just can't keep chugging teams in a tournament without the standards declining. 32 teams is the absolute maximum without the tournament's quality completely dropping off a cliff.