Day 8: Japan vs Costa Rica | Belgium vs Morocco | Croatia vs Canada | Spain vs Germany

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
If Spain beat Germany then Germany will still go through by beating Costa Rica comfortably with Japan losing to Spain. I think that's the most likely outcome here, unless Spain absolutely hammer Germany.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
Japan are deer in headlights. How did Germany lose to these mugs?
Japan doesn't have the quality to break a low block team, Germany gave them all the space in the world to counter attack, and also missed a bunch of chances who could have killed the game before Japan scored the equalizer.

Poor german finishing by Gnabry,Musiala, and Havertz let Japan alive.

RedDevilQuebecois

What's with all the Japan hate in here all of a sudden? Yeah this was disappointing from them but they don't deserve this backlash.
Hey! They faced a team that did next to feck all in the entire match. The POS of a Japanese manager wasted a full 45 minutes with the wrong starters when it was obvious that some players should have started.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Germany won't beat Japan
:D
Highest number of points
Goal difference
Goals scored
Points earned in group games between the teams that are tied
Goal difference in group games between the teams that are tied
Number of goals scored in group games between the teams that are tied
Fair play points
Drawing of lots
Goal difference.
Thank you!

RedDevilQuebecois

What happens if we beat Germany and then Germany beats Costa Rica? Who would come second? Does it go by goal difference or head-to-head?
It depends on goal difference now. My personal preference is that Spain spanks Germany by a score of 4-0 or the likes.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
The only interesting thing about this World Cup were the shock defeats for Germany and Argentina.

Not been any really great games , or even many great goals or memorable moments otherwise.

And now it looks like Argentina and Germany should be qualifying anyway, those upsets don't really mean as much anymore.
:confused: there were 2 great goals scored yesterday.

JeffFromHK

"Localism" of the Japanese coach costed 3 points for Japan and a place in R16.
He seems deliberately not to start some players because they play/played for the Premier League, even though they are by far their best players.

Telsim

What's with all the Japan hate in here all of a sudden? Yeah this was disappointing from them but they don't deserve this backlash.
Doubt anyone hates Japan or their players. But to do nothing and then lose against a team that just got rolled 7:0? Unacceptable. This is on the manager almost entirely. The lineup and the style of football were abysmal.

massi83

Japan are deer in headlights. How did Germany lose to these mugs?
Luck is the simple answer. Wasn't xg something like 3,5-1,5 to Germany. Musiala's finishing was terrible also, not going to happen often.

Red Star One

What happens if we beat Germany and then Germany beats Costa Rica? Who would come second? Does it go by goal difference or head-to-head?
If three teams end up on 3 points it’s decided by goal difference. That’s assuming you also beat Japan

Ainu

Hey! They faced a team that did next to feck all in the entire match. The POS of a Japanese manager wasted a full 45 minutes with the wrong starters when it was obvious that some players should have started.
I get blaming their manager. Believe me, as a Belgian, I know the sentiment. But I see people calling them mugs, cowards, telling them to feck off with their pointless football and somehow being happy Costa Rica beat them. It's all a bit much for me. I see a lot to admire in that team and those players, it's sad to see people turning against them like this.

Kopral Jono

Idiotic from Moriyasu. Costa Rica were there for the taking and all his team did was doing little triangles in midfield, as if that would win you a game. Not having his best XI starting in a game where a win would more or less guarantee qualification, against a side who just lost by seven goals a few days ago, is also batshit insane. They deserve to be punished for such cowardice and pointlessness.

JeffFromHK

Still cannot believe how a PL player that destroy Arsenal and Chelsea was benched for some J-League player
Moriyasu probably deliberately not starting some players because they played for Arsenal, Liverpool, Brighton. "Let's start some unknown J1 players to prove that team spirit is more important than individual brilliance!"
Typical Asian localism mindset.

Lee565

To think if Spain lose to Germany but then in the last game Costa Rica and Japan beat Germany and Spain then the later 2 go out

massi83

To think if Spain lose to Germany but then in the last game Costa Rica and Japan beat Germany and Spain then the later 2 go out
Yes. And then to think if they both win only 3 more games that will be the final!

RedDevilQuebecois

Just watching the goal replay again. That #22 defender had a total mare. Idiot.
fecking Maya Yoshida again! :mad: :mad: :mad: There is always a brainfart with him and he is their captain somehow. It's like giving the armband to Phil fecking Jones.

How does he get the nod in front of Tomiyasu? That is totally beyond my imagination.

RedDevilMachine

People tend to forget that Costa Rica is no pushover. That 0-7 hammering by Spain really made everyone think they were that bad and it was a guaranteed win for Japan. Costa Rica had a good qualifying campaign in CONCAF and in the last World Cup, they lost to Serbia 0-1, almost held Brazil to a 0-0 if not for two injury-time goals and draw 2-2 against Switzerland. I don't think Japan was complacent but it was clear they just couldn't score as Costa Rica is a bad match-up for them.

Sparky Rhiwabon

"we're going to f*ck Croatia"?

Because it is.
Come on, this is football - that’s just the sort of thing people say to get their players going. Its not like it’s racist or anything specifically offensive to Croatians. Just means “we're going to beat Croatia”. Has the Croatian guy never been in a dressing room?

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Didn't see the game so it could be tactics and wrong players, but what is increasingly clear is the shockers happen in the early fixtures.

How bad/different is it to play during the day vs during the evening? Funny that France, Spain and Brazil (+Portugal and Netherlands) won't get to play under extreme heat. Maybe they look comfortable for more than one reason.

Of the group heads, only Argentina and England got the plum fixture and Belgium will get the next worst now. Will Morocco get something out of that?

MDFC Manager

fecking Maya Yoshida again! :mad: :mad: :mad: There is always a brainfart with him and he is their captain somehow. It's like giving the armband to Phil fecking Jones.

How does he get the nod in front of Tomiyasu? That is totally beyond my imagination.
Indeed. A 5 yard gentle lob in the 81st minute. Wouldn't see that in non league matches even.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Come on, this is football - that’s just the sort of thing people say to get their players going. Its not like it’s racist or anything specifically offensive to Croatians. Has the Croatian guy never been in a dressing room?
Be honest here, how do you think this place would react if an opposition manager said "we're going to f*ck Man United"?

Like I said, I think it's funny and it's absolutely not a big deal but especially in International football, it's pretty rude!

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
It depends on goal difference now. My personal preference is that Spain spanks Germany by a score of 4-0 or the likes.
I am very optimistic for the match, especially after watching some tactical videos about the game. Everything is very well thought out and studied, but not for a 4-0.
I wonder if he will continue with Asensio or use Morata and if Rodri will be a false CB or play in the middle.
I don't know which Germany version we will find. I guess a very physical game trying to disrupt possession.