Day 8: Japan vs Costa Rica | Belgium vs Morocco | Croatia vs Canada | Spain vs Germany

RedDevilRoshi

Least Costa Rica could do is put in a performance. Not just for their fans but for themselves.

Japan will surely go all guns blazing for this knowing that a win gives them at least one foot into the R16

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
can't say any of the early games will have my undivided attention, even i I have cricked my back and can't do much else than sit and watch telly...

Telsim

I hope the Samurai Blue butcher Costa Rica!

頑張れ日本!

Josh 76

Japan have made 5 changes from the victory against Germany. Thats what utilising your squad is. Gareth take note!

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Every time Japan get the ball in a good position an absolute donkey touch loses it

RedDevilQuebecois

Japan's silly obsession with brainless one-touch passes is really killing me. I don't want to see a bunch of Donny van de Beeks out there.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
What is it with these boring first halves in this WC.

RedDevilQuebecois

Japan striker really has not done one thing right so far
He's shite. But then again, it is not something new. Japan has always had all kinds of difficulties in finding and developping a proper centre-forward.

edit: And again, he's not making the run to reach the ball.

Ramos

Mitoma and Asano changed the game against Germany. Expected them to start this match.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Most of these games are absolute shite. Awful touches, poor decisions and the game just bogged down in midfield as usual.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Far too many teams at this World Cup just charging round giving silly fouls away, losing the ball when they get it and showing no quality in the last third. Japan were like that in the first half against Germany so let’s hope for a similar second half improvement.

Djemba-Djemba

Most of these games are absolute shite. Awful touches, poor decisions and the game just bogged down in midfield as usual.
Yeah I don't know if maybe I'm just biased against this Qatar World Cup but i've found most of the games severely lacking in quality and very dull.

It's not been a good WC so far.

RedDevilMachine

I understand Costa Rica playing so cautiously as they are out if they lose but surely Japan should give it a go? They've been terrible so far.

RedDevilQuebecois

Mitoma and Asano changed the game against Germany. Expected them to start this match.
Minamino, Asano, and Mitoma needs to come in 2nd half. Blew my mind that 3 players that changed the game vs Germany are not starting
Agree. Unless their fitness levels don't allow them to play 65+ minutes, there was no reason for them to not to start the match.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I understand Costa Rica playing so cautiously as they are out if they lose but surely Japan should give it a go? They've been terrible so far.
Costa Rica should be going for it just as much as Japan as this is the only game there most likely to get something from.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's shite. But then again, it is not something new. Japan has always had all kinds of difficulties in finding and developping a proper centre-forward.

edit: And again, he's not making the run to reach the ball.
Then you wonder why they never picked Kyogo.

RedDevilMachine

Not really that understandable? A draw is hardly great unless they really back themselves to beat Germany?
Japan is a great counter-attacking team as evidenced by their win against Germany so they probably didn't want to commit too much forward and risk going a goal down.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
CRC passing at the back is really loose. JPN can really get at them more if they keep pressing higher.

Djemba-Djemba

80% of the matches seem to start with pundits saying they think it'll be a good match and then having to apologise at half time for how boring it's been

lawliet354

Yeah what's up with coaches being conservative
Moriyasu is well-known in that regards, that's why so many have been calling for his sacking for years. The Germany game was anomaly for this Japan side, I thought Japan can use that game as foundation for playing with more confidence and attacking-intent, but does not look like it