Day 8: Japan vs Costa Rica | Belgium vs Morocco | Croatia vs Canada | Spain vs Germany

RedDevilQuebecois

Ah, wasted! The idea was good from Soma Mitoma, but the shot has to hit the frame of the goal at the very least.

Swordsman

This tournament really has been a mixed bad. A couple of great games and a fair few moments of great drama but also some of the most dull games you will ever see

If this finishes scoreless it will be 6x 0-0 so far and the most ever in a tournament was 7
I'm listening to a number of the matches with my eyes barely open rather than watching..

RedDevilQuebecois

Very good free kick position for Japan just now. It's right on the edge of the the D in front of the penalty area.

Borges booked.

RedDevilRoshi

Freekick Japan on the edge of the box. Wish we had a Nakamura on the pitch right now.

Abraxas

Costs Rica have been so disappointing. To me it's not a problem to exit with very few points, but turning up and getting pumped by 7 and then defending a whole game and offering zero entertainment against Japan is poor.

saivet

I have pretty bad expectations for Germany Spain tonight. 1. More often than not we cannot score. 2. We basically never keep a clean sheet.
3. We absolutely need to win.
An ominous mix.
If Japan don't win, a draw against Spain should be enough today. A Japan win makes things very tricky though.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Wonder will this go down as an ever worse tournament than 2010. That was also very cagey but this at times feels a lot worse

I’m still enjoying it. I always love the World Cup. But compared to the last one in Russia it is way way worse in terms of quality and entertainment

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Costa Rica have no reason to play for a draw here but they just know they’re absolute shit and don’t want to get battered again.

RedDevilQuebecois

I know Navas is a very good shot stopper, but with freekicks like this, I always feel blasting it in the corner that's not covered by the wall is worth a try
Always! All you need out of a free kick is to beat the goalkeeper with the element of surprise. Regardless, the primary mission is always to put the ball on target first.

Shai-Hulud

Wonder will this go down as an ever worse tournament than 2010. That was also very cagey but this at times feels a lot worse

I’m still enjoying it. I also love the World Cup. But compared to the last one in Russia it is way way worse in terms of quality and entertainment
I wonder what factors turn a WC into a good/attacking one, or a bad/cagey one. Other than what players are available.

Hulme91

5-4-1 in a must win game..... What's the point of even turning up? Costa Rica used to be a handful, what happened to them?

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
The worst thing about Japan losing the ball ridiculously easy is they then charge at them and foul them to get it back. Collectively daft.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Costa Rica have no reason to play for a draw here but they just know they’re absolute shit and don’t want to get battered again.
They are just delaying the inevitable elimination

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Well Japan started somewhat brightly in this half but they've now gone back to the unfortunate sloppy uncreative norm of the 1st half.

Costa Rica are there for the taking. Utterly abject.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

I’m still enjoying it. I also love the World Cup. But compared to the last one in Russia it is way way worse in terms of quality and entertainment
I'm hoping the knockouts will be better. Sometimes tournaments peak in the group stages and peter out in the KO's. Maybe this will be different..

Red Pumpkin

Supports
Bayern Munchen
The next game will be very interesting. Morocco has a very decent team that did well in the last Afcon and held Croatia to a 0-0 in the opening match.

Hakimi is the best player and you all know Ziyech but I'd pinpoint Sofyan Amrabat as their most important player and one of the tournaments most underrated.

Amrabat is a 27 year old CDM who is strong like an ox, has a great engine, technically superb fundamentals, tactically brilliant, keeps things ticking and can drop back as a cb. Basically a carbon copy of Schweinsteiger. Modric played well and got man of the match but I'd argue it should have gone to Amrabat who of course as the lesser name fell short.

If Amrabat can provide the goods today against de Bruyne as well you would know for certain that he is more than capable of becoming Uniteds own Fernandinho.

Goalkeeper Bounou and cb Aguerd are personal favorites as well. Saiss, the ball playing cb, a bit of a risk at times as well as the wing wizard Boufal when he gets tired. A bit lacking up front unfortunately so that will be the challenge.

RedDevilMachine

If Japan don't win, a draw against Spain should be enough today. A Japan win makes things very tricky though.
Just did the permutation and Germany still need to win even if Japan draw. Spain and Japan will be on 4 points and they could just play a draw in the final game and Germany will be out even if they beat Costa Rica.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Japan manager should player Morita closer to the box. He's always a goal threat at Sporting and has scored some goals

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
Well Japan started somewhat brightly in this half but they've now gone back to the unfortunate sloppy uncreative norm of the 1st half.

Costa Rica are there for the taking. Utterly abject.
They really need to beat Costa Rica to ensure they go through. Shame they can't find any of the intensity that was there vs Germany.