Day 8: Japan vs Costa Rica | Belgium vs Morocco | Croatia vs Canada | Spain vs Germany

Djemba-Djemba

Be honest here, how do you think this place would react if an opposition manager said "we're going to f*ck Man United"?

Like I said, I think it's funny and it's absolutely not a big deal but especially in International football, it's pretty rude!
Croatia threw a strop about Footballs Coming Home too , they were always going to be upset about this.

I agree with you, I think it's funny but I can see why they're angry.

MDFC Manager

Come on, this is football - that’s just the sort of thing people say to get their players going. Its not like it’s racist or anything specifically offensive to Croatians. Just means “we're going to beat Croatia”. Has the Croatian guy never been in a dressing room?
Now I actually hope they feck em proper!

Telsim

Be honest here, how do you think this place would react if an opposition manager said "we're going to f*ck Man United"?

Like I said, I think it's funny and it's absolutely not a big deal but especially in International football, it's pretty rude!
That'd be hilarious to be honest. :lol: :lol:

BorisManUtd

"We're going to feck Croatia" is good enough motivation for Croatian players today, even if it was a meaningless game.

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
We can now see Germany being the first team to push for the title after losing their first 2 matches. Funnily enough, a 2nd place in this group can put them in the path of aging Belgium, overhyped Portugal and the knackered winner of a dramatic France - England QF. While the winner of the group gets Modric's last dance, Brazil and Argentina in a row.

Or maybe I'm just getting ahead of myself.

Dazzmondo

Bloody hell, Japan completely messed this up. They're probably out. Spain and Germany will know now that draw tonight would be a decent result for both. Could lead to a poor game.

Kopral Jono

Moriyasu probably deliberately not starting some players because they played for Arsenal, Liverpool, Brighton. "Let's start some unknown J1 players to prove that team spirit is more important than individual brilliance!"
Typical Asian localism mindset.
Good point, being decisive is often looked upon as reckless in the Asian model of decision-making. This could explain Moriyasu's hesitancy to make changes, whether in tactics or personnel, when it's obvious that things weren't working in their favour.

RedDevilQuebecois

Japan manager costing them qualification.
Pretty much it. Earlier in the day, some of us were already saying that Moriyasu is pretty much hated by everyone supporting Japan because he does the same kind of stupid shit you see with Gareth Southgate. There are players who should have started on the pitch instead of starting on that bench - Asano, Mitoma, Ito, Tomiyasu, Minamino. Moriyasu is also the cnut who did not pick Kyogo Furuhashi in the squad at all.

If Japan crash out, I hope Kyogo will destroy Moriyasu with no holds barred on Twitter.

Houdini

Japan manager ruined the Spain - Germany by idiotic team selection and tactics. Any half-decent manager would have won this match easily.

Foxbatt

In the good old days the manager and the keeper would have committed Seppuku ( Harakiri).

RedDevilMachine

That Costa Rica win takes a lot of the jeopardy out of the Spain Vs Germany game later.
It would definitely make that game a lot more exciting for neutrals but I am glad as I have a thousand euro on Germany to win the World Cup and I was sure it would be gone by the end of today.

Kopral Jono

Bloody hell, Japan completely messed this up. They're probably out. Spain and Germany will know now that draw tonight would be a decent result for both. Could lead to a poor game.
Watch Spain and Germany draw tonight only for Japan and Costa Rica to get something against them respectively on Thursday, knocking Germany out as a result. Very unlikely but it would be typical of this unpredictable, yet thus far rather shite, World Cup.

saivet

Costa Rica isn't as bad as Spain made them look.
Also Japan don't have the quality in the midfield to dominate Costa Rica the way Spain did.
Yeah I've probably gone over the top but still a massive opportunity blown for Japan

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Lucky, lucky Germany. Just woke up. Costa Rica saved them here. Chance for them now to get through on GD last day even if they lose.

fck

Supports
Bayern
A loss to Spain would still be bad for Germany because who is to say that Spain will beat Japan?

Dazzmondo

And here's the Croatian newspaper response..

I fear for Canada. Could see Croatia being motivated to destroy them. Defence was poor against Belgium and I think Croatia are better than Belgium (though they are lacking up front)

Fully Fledged

I think there are managers the country over who use those exact words when playing one of the big 6. It's not a problem they are trying to get there team motivated.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I think there are managers the country over who use those exact words when playing one of the big 6. It's not a problem they are trying to get there team motivated.
Managers will say a lot worse in training and dressing rooms, of course.

This dude said it directly to camera in an interview.

Kopral Jono

A loss to Spain would still be bad for Germany because who is to say that Spain will beat Japan?
Knowing this World Cup I wouldn't be shocked at all if Japan manage to get something against Spain. Germany are as good as qualified if they manage to get a point tonight, though, because they'll absolutely hammer Costa Rica in the final game bar an upset of epic proportions.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Why did they make Onana look so small on the graphic when he’s the tallest in the team? :lol:

Krakenzero

Supports
Santiago Wanderers
Loving the moroccan crowd so far. It makes me think for a moment that we're in a real World Cup.

I hope they get points tonight, as I think their match with Spain would be interesting for a lot of reasons.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Loving the moroccan crowd so far. It makes me think for a moment that we're in a real World Cup.

I hope they get points tonight, as I think their match with Spain would be interesting for a lot of reasons.
A real World Cup?