Day 8: Japan vs Costa Rica | Belgium vs Morocco | Croatia vs Canada | Spain vs Germany

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
The only real all time great striker they've produced was Gerd Muller, maybe Klinsmann if you're generous.
Are you joking? One of the most ignorant posts I ever read on here.

You conveniently forgot Uwe Seeker, Schnellinger, Rudi Voeller, Karl Heinz Rummenigge, Oliver Bierhoff, Klaus Fischer, Jupp Heynkes, ....and many others.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Japan drawing with Spain should eliminate Germany regardless of their result against Costa-Rica or I'm getting my math wrong?
Nope, GD is first tiebreaker. If Japan lose by more than a goal or Germany win by more than a goal, Germany go through. Dumb but Japan have only themselves to blame

dinostar77

Whats up with Ansu Fati? Hows he been this season for barcelona? The knee injuries robbed him of some speed?!?

I would have expected him to play against germany at some point. But not paid any attention to barcelona this season.

Bobski

Probably the best day of the tournament so far, Morocco were stirring, Croatia played some gorgeous stuff and that was a proper game between 2 good teams. Neither were at their best but a good competitive game.

The Firestarter

You conveniently forgot Uwe Seeker, Schnellinger, Rudi Voeller, Karl Heinz Rummenigge, Oliver Bierhoff, Klaus Fischer, Jupp Heynkes, ....and many others.
Yeah one of the dumber posts I've seen lately.

phelans shorts

Seems like we were watching a different game to everyone else.

Can’t believe people are raving about it here. Spain were below par and Germany workman like.

Some good technical play but many misplaced passes and bad decisions at key moments.
I think it’s a case of people having pre conceived notions about sides quality and sticking with it despite what actually happens on the pitch. It was a fun game but certainly not some high quality masterclass, much more two drunks slugging it out in the car park than Ali vs Frazier.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Japan drawing with Spain should eliminate Germany regardless of their result against Costa-Rica or I'm getting my math wrong?
Any Germany win in that scenario would put it goal difference first, goals scored 2nd. Head to head doesn't come into it.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
We need to start with Füllkrug next. Bench Müller or Gündogan.
I think after round about a dozen tournament games in a row of accomplishing precious little it might finally be time to bench Müller.

dinostar77

I'm all for the idea of an underdog, but when a team is potentially as good as Germany, they NEED to be in the tournament.
They are potentially an even better side than they've shown so far, just on the basis of potentially having an attacking piece like Sane joining Musiala ( he's better than Pedri). Musiala is so good. Reminds me a touch of Zidane with his balance and agility in tight attacking spaces. Just so good.
You would have though a midfield three of sane, gnarby and musiala behind a striker would be defacto first choice for germany.

Dazzmondo

They never really do. The only real all time great striker they've produced was Gerd Muller, maybe Klinsmann if you're generous. The likes of Klose and Mario Gomez had weird careers as they were much more prolific with the national team than at club level where they were never truly dominant and mostly spent their careers at mid-tier clubs.
That's just nonsense. Klinsmann, Voller, Rummenigge, Seeler, Heynckes, Muller, Klose (for Germany at least) were all excellent strikers. Never seen him play but Fritz Walter was also considered the best striker in the world in his time. Germany have produced plenty of excellent strikers.

Lyng

Its the midfield that’s the issue really
That's more on the manager insisting on a overrated player like Mount.
Rice - Bellingham with Foden in front them is fantastic. Your central defense lacks players who can cope with pace.

tom8888sa

Supports
neutral
I know you guys over in UK sometimes complain about your commentators. They will be GOD-SEND to me here in the States. The American commentators know nothing about the sport and it's maddening to hear FOX amateur level commentators using basketball and NFL analogies for these matches +their complete inability to understand how group stage points system work.

Just like I prefer American commentators for NBA and NFL, I moan for that soothing British old-man accent when it comes to football(soccer).

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Seems like we were watching a different game to everyone else.

Can’t believe people are raving about it here. Spain were below par and Germany workman like.

Some good technical play but many misplaced passes and bad decisions at key moments.
This. It wa a very fun games but trying to sell us a golden era like spain the does wonders is clearly exagerated. Especially since spain is very good at looking good when efficiency is lacking (even if it got better since the euro).

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Neuer
Klostermann Sule Rudiger Raum
Goretzka Kimmich
Sane Musiala Gnabry
Fullkrug

That should be the team going forward to the next game.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Probably the best day of the tournament so far, Morocco were stirring, Croatia played some gorgeous stuff and that was a proper game between 2 good teams. Neither were at their best but a good competitive game.
Yes. I enjoyed it too.

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
Not kept up much with him at Bayern but maybe the ACL has robbed him of some pace. Shame if true, one of the few players whenever I saw his name on the team sheet would genuinely frighten you. Sensational to watch in full flight.
He still has the pace, but that fearlessness isn’t there anymore. He’s too conserved and indecisive now. Maybe it’s psychological but it’s sad as he was a Giggsy regen that could also play as a Robben regen. Maybe he still has a late bloom left in him. Hope so.

FrankFoot

Supports
Neutral
They never really do. The only real all time great striker they've produced was Gerd Muller, maybe Klinsmann if you're generous. The likes of Klose and Mario Gomez had weird careers as they were much more prolific with the national team than at club level where they were never truly dominant and mostly spent their careers at mid-tier clubs.
Uwe Seeler, Rummenige, Oliver Bierhoff, Rudi Voller,Klinsmann, etc

Germany forte always have been top strikers who score a lot for the national team.

mu4c_20le

None of them ever played in the PL.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Fair result i think in a good and very Intense game.
Füllkrug and Sané need to start against Costa Rica, Müller and Gnabry deserve to be benched.

Spain and France the most impressive teams so far imo.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
He still has the pace, but that fearlessness isn’t there anymore. He’s too conserved and indecisive now. Maybe it’s psychological but it’s sad as he was a Giggsy regen that could also play as a Robben regen. Maybe he still has a late bloom left in him. Hope so.
In all fairness he always was an on and off kind of player. There's a reason why Guardiola didn't fight to keep him, he could look absolutely stunning one game and miss everything a week later.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think it’s a case of people having pre conceived notions about sides quality and sticking with it despite what actually happens on the pitch. It was a fun game but certainly not some high quality masterclass, much more two drunks slugging it out in the car park than Ali vs Frazier.
What absolute bollox. If you can’t appreciate the quality of football tonight you might as well stop watching the game.

It wasn’t flawless. Both teams had some iffy spells but most of the football played was of the highest quality. Two drunks slugging it out in a car park ffs. Are you sure you didn’t watch a re-run of England vs USA by mistake?

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Fair result i think in a good and very Intense game.
Füllkrug and Sané need to start against Costa Rica, Müller and Gnabry deserve to be benched.

Spain and France the most impressive teams so far imo.
Would you say Gundogan should start against Costa Rica though? He wasn't good at all today though we was good against Japan. Given that we have to win to stand a chance of going through I would go with a more conventional 4-2-3-1 than the more conservative 4-3-3 with Gundogan in midfield