Day 8: Japan vs Costa Rica | Belgium vs Morocco | Croatia vs Canada | Spain vs Germany

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
In all fairness he always was an on and off kind of player. There's a reason why Guardiola didn't fight to keep him, he could look absolutely stunning one game and miss everything a week later.
Pre injury he was a Guardiola favorite though. Think Sane broke down mentally during that process. Guardiola can smell mental weakness a mile away.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Spain could still go out yet. If Japan pull of another upset and beat them. But wouldn’t Germany need to beat Costa Rica by 7 or more.

Lyng

Spain could still go out yet. If Japan pull of another upset and beat them. But wouldn’t Germany need to beat Costa Rica by 7 or more.
If they start with Sane and Füllkrug that might happen

phelans shorts

What absolute bollox. If you can’t appreciate the quality of football tonight you might as well stop watching the game.

It wasn’t flawless. Both teams had some iffy spells but most of the football played was of the highest quality. Two drunks slugging it out in a car park ffs. Are you sure you didn’t watch a re-run of England vs USA by mistake?
Nah, that was more two lads squaring up but never actually swinging.

Not sure why you’re so annoyed by describing a match as fun though

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
In all fairness he always was an on and off kind of player. There's a reason why Guardiola didn't fight to keep him, he could look absolutely stunning one game and miss everything a week later.
I think it's the opposite, Pep wanted to keep him but he had one year left on his deal and he wasn't going to sign a new one, they managed to get 50 mil for him.

Bayern wanted to sign him the year before as well but City had a very high asking price.

wangyu

That one time England develop a truly exciting super technical dribble king in Musiala he opts to play for Germany. I'm sure in England some people have gone mad over this.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
Nope, GD is first tiebreaker. If Japan lose by more than a goal or Germany win by more than a goal, Germany go through. Dumb but Japan have only themselves to blame
Any Germany win in that scenario would put it goal difference first, goals scored 2nd. Head to head doesn't come into it.
Ah, I stand corrected. Thanks.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Spain and Germany will both win their games and go through. Japan blew it today.

Pintu

I think a 1 goal win should suffice. Isn't it something like:
points > goal difference > goals scored > head to head > fairplay ranking > fifa ranking > coin toss

If Japan wins though Germany are fecked.
Then Germany will have to defeat Costa Rica by 7...

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Nah, that was more two lads squaring up but never actually swinging.

Not sure why you’re so annoyed by describing a match as fun though
I’m not annoyed at all. I just think what you said was absolute bollox. Which it was. There was some top class football being played tonight. Don’t know why you’re in denial about this?

Kaos

That one time England develop a truly exciting super technical dribble king in Musiala he opts to play for Germany. I'm sure in England some people have gone mad over this.
It's fine, they've managed to sway Declan Rice and Jack Grealish to play for em :wenger:

Dazzmondo

You already have 2 that you don't start

tjb

I don't think Spain can win this competition. This game pretty much said why.

They won't be able to pin the big teams back like they can a Costa Rica or Japan. Their full backs are currently not strong enough to do that. That means, despite the fact they will always have more of the ball, their attackers will need to creative in order to engineer chances. In a close game, chances are that a ball from midfield won't be coming, in addition neither Pedri or Gavi are that aggressive with their passing. They won't be able to break down, Brazil, France or even Portugal.

On the other end, France have Dembele, Griezmann and Mbappe who are very direct. Brazil have Vinicius, Neymar, Gabril Jesus, Richarlison and Martinelli ( who would be really dangerous against this Spanish defence). Portugal have Rafael Leao, but they also have the direct passing of Bruno, who would make things impossible. Even England, who I do think they would easily be able to pin back due easily winning the midfield batter, but they would still struggle to play against Saka, Rashford and Sterling. When Sane came on, his pace and directness completely opened Germany up. The chances were there prior, but Muller's lack of pace and Gnabry's passiveness were not able to exploit it.

I think this problem exists for a few reasons.

1. Busquets doesn't have the pace to cover those gaps around him.
2. Both Pedri and Gavi push up quite high. In big games, where physicality and quality can cut through the movement and passing of Tika Taka, there will be spaces in behind both. This is why Luis Enrique felt the need to bring on Koke later on.
3. Their full backs are aging. They can't be isolated on on one with a quick attacker. They won't be able to keep up.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Because I’m not? There was a lot of shoddy stuff in there too, it’s pointless pretending otherwise
It was a high quality football match where both teams forced mistakes as well, which is a big part of modern football. High pressing, high intensity which forces mistakes to happen.

Smacky The Frog

I think it’s a case of people having pre conceived notions about sides quality and sticking with it despite what actually happens on the pitch. It was a fun game but certainly not some high quality masterclass, much more two drunks slugging it out in the car park than Ali vs Frazier.
Kind of smug with the psychoanalysis. It's possible that most of us are aware that high intensity matches with two quality teams intent on pressing is going to have a lot of mistakes because there's barely any space to play, and can appreciate the players who still manage to play through it. Don't think anyone thinks this was Ali vs . Frazier, but by international football standards (the highest profile match between two "good" teams before this was England-US for comparison, a case of drunk guy in the car park looking for his keys and another drunk guy repeatedly bumping into him), this was high quality Champions League level football. These games don't need to be neat and tidy with everything coming off for it to be considered high quality. They rarely are.

Blackwidow

Germany wins
+ Spain wins - Germany is through
Germany wins by only one goal - scores one more goal than Japan
+ Spain draws - Germany is through (if Germany wins and Japan ties with as many goals scored as Germany, Japan is through because of the won duel)
Spain loses - Germany needs to win with 7 or even 8 goals difference

Suedesi

What absolute bollox. If you can’t appreciate the quality of football tonight you might as well stop watching the game.

It wasn’t flawless. Both teams had some iffy spells but most of the football played was of the highest quality. Two drunks slugging it out in a car park ffs. Are you sure you didn’t watch a re-run of England vs USA by mistake?
That first half was a snooze fest Pogue. Game turned after Spain's goal as at that point Germany were all but out of the WC.

Still not convinced by this German team

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I don't think Spain can win this competition. This game pretty much said why.

They won't be able to pin the big teams back like they can a Costa Rica or Japan. Their full backs are currently not strong enough to do that. That means, despite the fact they will always have more of the ball, their attackers will need to creative in order to engineer chances. In a close game, chances are that a ball from midfield won't be coming, in addition neither Pedri or Gavi are that aggressive with their passing. They won't be able to break down, Brazil, France or even Portugal.

On the other end, France have Dembele, Griezmann and Mbappe who are very direct. Brazil have Vinicius, Neymar, Gabril Jesus, Richarlison and Martinelli ( who would be really dangerous against this Spanish defence). Portugal have Rafael Leao, but they also have the direct passing of Bruno, who would make things impossible. Even England, who I do think they would easily be able to pin back due easily winning the midfield batter, but they would still struggle to play against Saka, Rashford and Sterling. When Sane came on, his pace and directness completely opened Germany up. The chances were there prior, but Muller's lack of pace and Gnabry's passiveness were not able to exploit it.

I think this problem exists for a few reasons.

1. Busquets doesn't have the pace to cover those gaps around him.
2. Both Pedri and Gavi push up quite high. In big games, where physicality and quality can cut through the movement and passing of Tika Taka, there will be spaces in behind both. This is why Luis Enrique felt the need to bring on Koke later on.
3. Their full backs are aging. They can't be isolated on on one with a quick attacker. They won't be able to keep up.
Unfortunately I think you are right, although today Germany imposed a very high tempo, they were very good at anticipating and pressing, I can imagine England letting us play more, or even France, although as you say, at certain moments of the game they can crush us with speed in attack.
To the problems you raise, perhaps he could play Busquets and Rodri together in the centre to impose themselves even more and give Pedri a bit more air.
As for the full-backs, Carvajal can contribute a lot in attack and I think Balde can be a joker with constant helps with his speed.
I'm more afraid of Pau/Eric Garcia if he plays Rodri in the centre.

GinobiliTheGOAT

Southgate would keep him on the bench with Foden

MUnchies

Because I’m not? There was a lot of shoddy stuff in there too, it’s pointless pretending otherwise
Name me a game that was perfect? 100% pass completion, 100% clearance, no mistakes, clean sheet etc? None. Quality games have sloppiness in them too.

mav_9me

I’m not annoyed at all. I just think what you said was absolute bollox. Which it was. There was some top class football being played tonight. Don’t know why you’re in denial about this?
It was a high quality football match where both teams forced mistakes as well, which is a big part of modern football. High pressing, high intensity which forces mistakes to happen.
At least some agree with me

mav_9me

Name me a game that was perfect? 100% pass completion, 100% clearance, no mistakes, clean sheet etc? None. Quality games have sloppiness in them too.
And it's not sloppiness. It's quality pressing.