Day 8: Japan vs Costa Rica | Belgium vs Morocco | Croatia vs Canada | Spain vs Germany

Oranges038

Are you joking? One of the most ignorant posts I ever read on here.

You conveniently forgot Uwe Seeker, Schnellinger, Rudi Voeller, Karl Heinz Rummenigge, Oliver Bierhoff, Klaus Fischer, Jupp Heynkes, ....and many others.
All time greats??? Gerd Muller is up there.

The rest of those players weren't close to being the best in the world when they played.

ExoduS

Football is not individual sport anyway. You don't have to have best individuals in the World in order to win World cups. Germany is proof of that.

What I find stunning is that Spain had majority of possession but are still 8-1 in counter attacking. That is crazy. What I also find stunning is how direct Germany can be. With so little possession compared to Spain, they still managed to have more shots and only 1 less corner. This was collision of two different schools of football - totally different.

Boavista

The rest of those players weren't close to being the best in the world when they played.
Rummenigge won back to back ballon d'or, and runner up the year before that. Didn't watch him play, but I reckon that puts him in contention of being among the best in the world at the time

Oranges038

Rummenigge won back to back ballon d'or, and runner up the year before that. Didn't watch him play, but I reckon that puts him in contention of being among the best in the world at the time
Aye, I suppose it might. But not enough to be an all time great.

George Weah won it and nobody would classify him as an all time great.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich

Seeler, Rummenigge and Heynckes are not „all time greats“ to you? Wow…

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football

Rummenigge won the Ballon d‘Or… twice. Sorry, but why would you make bold statements if you have no clue about the matter.

Sildegil

As a french man, I d rather play Spain than Germany. We proved we dont mind giving possession as long as they give us space to counter attack. Spain's game suits us well.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Born in Germany, German mother
He's half German, half Nigerian but lived in England between ages 7 and 16 or so. He was in England as a kid but as far as I'm aware he has no English relatives.
Yeah but

"In November 2020, Musiala was called up to the England under-21 squad for the first time for their 2021 UEFA European Under-21 Championship qualification matches.He made his U21 debut as a substitute during a 3–1 victory over Andorra under-21s at Molineux Stadium on 13 November 2020. He scored his first under-21 goal during a 5–0 win over Albania at Molineux Stadium on 17 November 2020.After choosing to represent England's under-21s, the German football association indicated that they had stopped pursuing Musiala, with youth team coach Meikel Schonweitz stating: "He has clearly signalled to us that he currently sees his future with the English national teams. We accept his decision and wish him all the best for his sporting career." Musiala had previously indicated that he felt more comfortable playing for England at youth level than for Germany, as he grew up as a footballer at Chelsea with other English players, whereas for Germany he did not know any of the other players"

So how did he end up playing for Germany?

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
Neuer
Klostermann Sule Rudiger Raum
Goretzka Kimmich
Sane Musiala Gnabry
Fullkrug

That should be the team going forward to the next game.
Gnabry had 2 bad games now, he should be benched.
Start Hofmann, Gündogan or give Adeyemi a chance.

Lyricist

Gnabry had 2 bad games now, he should be benched.
Start Hofmann, Gündogan or give Adeyemi a chance.
Gündogan was at least good in the first game. But in Hofmann's cameos this WC he has done nothing. Adeyemi should be a fringe squad player based on his performances in the league so far this season.
I think starting the Bayern midfield block with Füllkrug up top would be best for Germany's chances to still go through.

Boavista

Yeah but

"In November 2020, Musiala was called up to the England under-21 squad for the first time for their 2021 UEFA European Under-21 Championship qualification matches.He made his U21 debut as a substitute during a 3–1 victory over Andorra under-21s at Molineux Stadium on 13 November 2020. He scored his first under-21 goal during a 5–0 win over Albania at Molineux Stadium on 17 November 2020.After choosing to represent England's under-21s, the German football association indicated that they had stopped pursuing Musiala, with youth team coach Meikel Schonweitz stating: "He has clearly signalled to us that he currently sees his future with the English national teams. We accept his decision and wish him all the best for his sporting career." Musiala had previously indicated that he felt more comfortable playing for England at youth level than for Germany, as he grew up as a footballer at Chelsea with other English players, whereas for Germany he did not know any of the other players"

Presumably this part changed when he moved to Bayern

Fully Fledged

They could still scrape through if they only lose by a goal as GD won't be too bad and Japan could easily lose to Spain in final game.
You'd expect them to go through now. I think Spain should beat Japan and Germany should beat Costa Rica. Which would leave them second on 4 points.

Fully Fledged

Football is not individual sport anyway. You don't have to have best individuals in the World in order to win World cups. Germany is proof of that.

What I find stunning is that Spain had majority of possession but are still 8-1 in counter attacking. That is crazy. What I also find stunning is how direct Germany can be. With so little possession compared to Spain, they still managed to have more shots and only 1 less corner. This was collision of two different schools of football - totally different.
Greece and Denmark were also proof of the collective outweighing the individuals when they won their prospective European Championships.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

all-time great is a strong and erratically defined term, but most -if not all of- them do have a strong case to have had spells among the best in the world, either positionally or in general. Even one dimensional Bierhoff had his time as one of the very best striker in the best league at the time.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
So he learnt how to play football in England?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Let’s hope not.
Why? Both of them play the best football in the tournament and it's 2 high pressing teams which tends to lead to very intense and exciting games. A team like France or Brazil against one of these two would lead to one sitting back and the other dominating possession. Fascinating still, but I like the 50/50 not sure how it'll go and just high pressing chaos.

Blackwidow

Musiala with 8 in front of the German team bus.

He would not have gone so early into the Chelsea team. They probably would have loaned him out or told him to bulk up... For him transferring to Germany was the best he could do.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Yeah but

As your quote starts, in November 2020 he got called up to the England U21. Germany gave up getting him for youth team and instead called him up for the senior NT (where he also likely knew a lot more players) in February 2021 and gave him his debut in March 2021.

Gazumped

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Good players, but all time greats. Nah.
Uwe Seeler was instrumental to his country reaching three World Cup semifinals. He captained them in two of those campaigns. He was also the first player to reach 20 World Cup games and to score in four different World Cups.

Good player my arse. That's an all-time football great, no two ways about it.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I really think some people only watch youtube highlights or something and then complain the game was boring. This world cup has had some extremely boring games, but that Spain Germany was actually a pretty good one

Foxbatt

Uwe Seeler was instrumental to his country reaching three World Cup semifinals. He captained them in two of those campaigns. He was also the first player to reach 20 World Cup games and to score in four different World Cups.

Good player my arse. That's an all-time football great, no two ways about it.
They were great players no doubt. But all great world players no. Could be all time great German players.

the_cliff

Vertonghen's post match interview is telling. There's definitely trouble in Belgium's dressing room.

Flexdegea

Aye, I suppose it might. But not enough to be an all time great.

George Weah won it and nobody would classify him as an all time great.

:lol: :lol:

You are firing out statements in convinced you don't know much of the topic ie Rummenigge won a ballon but was never close to be the being in the world. Peak arrogance

Oranges038

:lol: :lol:

You are firing out statements in convinced you don't know much of the topic ie Rummenigge won a ballon but was never close to be the being in the world. Peak arrogance
He was clearly in the world otherwise he wouldn't have been playing football here.

I'll admit I was wrong about one of those players being the best in the world.

But the rest? Voller, who is more famous for spitting than his football? Bierhoff? Best in the world???? Some of them other guys played in what was practically an amateur league.

All time greats? Nah, not even close.

Real Name

He was clearly in the world otherwise he wouldn't have been playing football here.

But the rest? Voller, who is more famous for spitting than his football? Bierhoff? Best in the world???? Some of them other guys played in what was practically an amateur league.

Amateur league?

Are you all right?

I mean, the stuff you're writing is worryingly bad.

Rektsanwalt

Supports
Schalke 04

Just admit that your statement was hyperbolic & partial factually wrong and stop making a fool of yourself :lol:

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football
They were great players no doubt. But all great world players no. Could be all time great German players.
I mean the goal posts have been completely shifted here. First, the guy said Seeler, Rummenigge and Co. had not been among the best in the world at their time.

Then, after learning that this was complete none sense, he adjusted the argument to “all-time-greats” which conveniently can be debated for most bar a few players.

The first argument, however, was that Germany only ever had Müller as an exceptional striker and otherwise struggled with goal scorers up top, which is ridiculous.

And as for “all-time-great” strikers.. how many does any nation have, really? Sure, Brazil probably has more than others but can France, Spain, Argentina say they have had better than Müller, Rummenigge, Seeler?

And you probably would have to include Klose, too. Sure, he didn’t win Ballon d’Or but he won a World Cup and has scored the most World Cup goals in the history of the competition.