Day 8: Sweden vs Slovakia | Croatia vs Czech Republic | England vs Scotland

Barthez

The fact that people are talking about England finishing as runners up, in that fecking group, is a testament to how far England have fallen
It was ALWAYS a group which was better to finish runners up in!!!! - Therefore never a group
to take unnecessary risks in. You obviously don’t understand tournament football.

breath

Well Tuesday will be interesting because it’s a game England really want to draw and not win
Czech might score an own goal in the last minute of injury time. They don't want to win either

TheGodsInRed

It was ALWAYS a group which was better to finish runners up in!!!! - Therefore never a group
to take unnecessary risks in. You obviously don’t understand tournament football.
Actually England need to win the group. Granted it means a tough last 16 game, but it's by far the easier half of the draw and we get to play all the games at Wembley. Keeps us away from France who are by far the best team.

I get Portugal> Spain> Netherlands> France as England's 'run' to the final.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
Everyone on TV seems to think England are all but qualified. Correct me if I’m wrong but if Czech beat us then whoever wins the other game has a pretty good chance at going through on goal difference, no?

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Everyone on TV seems to think England are all but qualified. Correct me if I’m wrong but if Czech beat us then whoever wins the other game has a pretty good chance at going through on goal difference, no?
4 points will likely see you through even if you finish 3rd

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
England would still get one of the best 3rd place teams

el3mel

Actually England need to win the group. Granted it means a tough last 16 game, but it's by far the easier half of the draw and we get to play all the games at Wembley. Keeps us away from France who are by far the best team.

I get Portugal> Spain> Netherlands> France as England's 'run' to the final.
Can't see England getting past Portugal at all.

Barthez

4 points will 95% take England through. A point against the CR is the best outcome

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
So England travelling away to play the next round is preferable?
If I was Southgate, I'd take my chances against Germany or Portugal at Wembley personally.
But then I don't understand Tournament football where people have to travel in between obviously :houllier:

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
We are trying to beat Portugal’s record for being THE WORST team to win the Euros. They won it without winning a group game.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The facts that Sterling was allowed to see out the whole game and that Southgate did not even use his whole sub contingent are mindblowing.

Some praise has to go to the Scotish here, but quite frankly this attack was not hard to defend today, because of how utterly predictable the English offensive played. No proper off the ball movement to shift the scotish defense around, no deep runs to stretch them, barely any take ons to lure defenders out of their formation and create gaps. This game was desperately crying out for some creative edge, but none of the front three could even begin to provide that. To put it bluntly, all three were woeful. Kane and Sterling look far from their top form and Foden just does not look ready yet.

The most hilarious part about this is that you had one player sitting on the bench whose skill set was made to provide the before mentioned edge. One of the best players in terms of 1v1s and key passing in Europe in the last three years, who has proven a lot of times how valuable he can be as an impact sub vs. tired legs on club level.

I have no idea what Jadon Sancho did to Southgate, but to not at least try him out in such a game is downright comical. If he does not even get a chance when none of the starters deliver satisfying performances, when is he actually going to play?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I love that there were only 2 mins added time when the last 4-5 minutes of the match there was barely any play at all with various bits of stoppages, plus a myriad of subs. Does my freaking head in.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Win the Euros? You're not going to win the Euros, mate :lol:
Guess sarcasm is lost on you. It’s Frances trophy to lose. I’ve said this before a ball had been kicked and nothing since has made me question myself.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Have I just read that Ramsey is a WC player? Or just too tired and need sleep badly.

MayosNoun

Supports
Chelsea
I'm half Welsh. Guess I have higher expectations of teams playing their first tournament in yonks than sitting with 5 at the back and celebrating not scoring a single goal like they've won the fecking thing
Won the thing? You scraped a lucky 1-0 against the poorest Croatian team in recent memory and it was suddenly ‘coming home’ and the arrogance overload had commenced, as it does every tournament England compete in.

Utterly tragic and what a shame for you. Claiming to be half Welsh to someone distract the delusional arrogance is top notch though. Great effort.

People like you are the reason footballers like Modric come out skating english arrogance before matches.

And don’t even get me started on Rio Ferdinand. What a slithering reptile and his comments before the match make him look absolutely foolish.

Hulme91

Won the thing? You scraped a lucky 1-0 against the poorest Croatian team in recent memory and it was suddenly ‘coming home’ and the arrogance overload had commenced, as it does every tournament England compete in.

Utterly tragic and what a shame for you. Claiming to be half Welsh to someone distract the delusional arrogance is top notch though. Great effort.

People like you are the reason footballers like Modric come out skating english arrogance before matches.

And don’t even get me started on Rio Ferdinand. What a slithering reptile and his comments before the match make him look absolutely foolish.
Yawn,,,, blah blah blah English arrogance blah blah blag
Get a new script, the old one is boring

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Scotland gave everything they had and got a respectable result. I know they play with a back three so it's not completely comparable, but McTominay was awesome I think. I've always wondered if he couldn't be a CB in a back four at United. If you compare him directly to Lindelof, he's stronger, faster, better in the air and better on the ball as well. Maybe he would need half a year to settle in, which I guess would take too long, and he's been decent in midfield for us. But I would definitely consider trying it.

Aboutreika18

Aye. Boils down to folk looking at the result against Czech Republic and not the performance. Or the reasons why we’ve got to the Euros in the first place. Mostly we controlled the midfield and it was always going to strangle England’s creativity.
Aye, I've been impressed with Clarke's tactical nous during his reign. A shame he chose the first game against the Czechs to make rare mistakes in terms of team setup.

There are some good options in CM, even without a proper experienced DM like Jack. Kinda sad McLean couldn't make it after the composure in the shootouts.

Do wish he'd brought Gauld along as a wildcard off the bench. I remember how highly rated he used to be and it seems like he'd found his feet in Portugal.