Day 9: Brazil vs Costa Rica, Nigeria vs Iceland, Serbia vs Switzerland

klsv

Nigeria must win!

I looked at the knock-out brackets and feck Iceland.

Argentina-France is a far more historic R16 World Cup match than a repeat of the Euros QF where France kicked out the Icelanders 5-2.

No one really wants a boring repeat of the Euros. Everyone will be complaining of shite knock out matches.

Messi leading this disorganized mess of Argentines against this new generation of French stars is far more compelling.

You all will thank me later.

Was anyone sad Greece didn't make it to the 2006 WC?
Exactly. Feck Iceland

SUPER EAGLES!
I'd also rather see United facing Notthingham Forest than today's Arsenal but you don't see me being a dick about it.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I'd also rather see United facing Notthingham Forest than today's Arsenal but you don't see me being a dick about it.
Agreed. Those Forest sides with Robertson on the wing, McGovern holding, Francis, Woodcock, O'Neil, Gemmill, under Clough in his heyday played some great football in that era. Definitely superior to Wenger's last few sides. Can't forget Kenny Burns and Viv either, Amazing characters. Those Forest sides really deserve more recognition and remembrance as they are quite the legends.

RoyH1

That would be classic though ;)
Messi getting humiliated in a knock-out by France's new stars?

Anyway, despite my fun hyperbole, we already saw France 5 - Iceland 2 in the Euros. France is even better now than 2 years ago. That's why that match prospect bores me immensely
Yeah, but Iceland have since then applied the latest Viking technology to their new super line of buses that they will neatly line up in two rows in front of goal. France would not score 5 this time, I guarantee it. Besides watching Griezmann and Dembelé put their hands up in frustration and yelling mérde every time they crash against the Viking bus makes for compelling watching too.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That would be classic though ;)
Messi getting humiliated in a knock-out by France's new stars?

Anyway, despite my fun hyperbole, we already saw France 5 - Iceland 2 in the Euros. France is even better now than 2 years ago. That's why that match prospect bores me immensely
That is never going to happen. You know why ? Deschamps is a pragmatist, if he is leading 1-0, he will go defensive, just like vs Peru, just like vs Australia.
This isn't a manager who will let go of the team to trash an opponent and the team doesn't play coherently enough to trash an opponent

You are really looking only at big names. This Argentina side will get humiliated with ease by France it's not gonna be a classic game at all.
They won't. It really is about time France stops getting overrated. If France wins, it will probably by 1 or 2 goals at most.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Yeah, but Iceland have since then applied the latest Viking technology to their new super line of buses that they will neatly line up in two rows in front of goal. France would not score 5 this time, I guarantee it. Besides watching Griezmann and Dembelé put their hands up in frustration and yelling mérde every time they crash against the Viking bus makes for compelling watching too.
Eagles can fly over busses?

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Would much rather see Argentina have a chance to qualify in their final group match and see how they react. Also I'd much prefer Argentina to qualify over Iceland, at least Argentina vs France is interesting on paper. Got no interest in seeing Iceland parking the bus against another big team in the RO16.

So go Nigeria. A Nigeria win would also make the Nigeria- Argentina game a real tasty affair.

Jimmy Greenhoff's Chest

Agreed. Those Forest sides with Robertson on the wing, McGovern holding, Francis, Woodcock, O'Neil, Gemmill, under Clough in his heyday played some great football in that era. Definitely superior to Wenger's last few sides. Can't forget Kenny Burns and Viv either, Amazing characters. Those Forest sides really deserve more recognition and remembrance as they are quite the legends.
You need to watch this by the sounds of it, great film https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5098836/

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Brazil 2 - 0 Costa Rica
Iceland 1 - 1 Nigeria
Serbia 1 - 1 Switzerland

Robertd0803

Is Fred going to start today for Brazil?
If he gets there in time from his unveiling at United yesterday :)

Bad jokes aside some rumours that it will be same 11 as started vs Switzerland.

Iceland seem to becoming a lot of neutrals guilty pleasure, would have never thought Id be looking forward to Iceland vs Nigeria more than Serbia vs Switzerland. Is anyone actually looking forward to Serbia vs Switzerland?? (Besides their fans?)

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Neymar best have gotten more match fit than he was in the first game because he was awful and couldn't shake Behrami.

RoyH1

Neymar best have gotten more match fit than he was in the first game because he was awful and couldn't shake Behrami.
I don't understand why they'd insist in playing him if he's not 100%. Surely Coutinho, Firminho, Jesus and co can dispose of Costa Rica?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Why do Brazil play Willian over Douglas Costa? Don't they have enough workrate in Casemiro & Paulinho?

Zen

Neymar "expected" to start.....was he a doubt?

Fenomeno9

Why do Brazil play Willian over Douglas Costa? Don't they have enough workrate in Casemiro & Paulinho?
Honestly, Tite can’t go wrong with either choice. Willian has been one of Brazil best players in the last 4 years.

Dutsey

Operation "Kick Argentina off the World Cup" - success.

Operation "Kick Brazil off the World Cup" - started.
Oh please let me past - I am Neymar I am not allowed to be tackled - oh I am barely touched lets scream and roll around like I have been shot.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
He's shit, that's why.

I say that having never seen him place of course.
Could be shit as far as i know, 'cause I've never seen him either!

Worries me slightly that he rarely starts for them.