Dayot Upamecano | Signs for Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.

A-man

Upamecano could've chosen many other clubs around Europe but he chose Bayern because they're a huge club that gives players the opportunity to win the biggest prizes in football. They're also a club that suits Upamecano's skillset stylistically, which IMO is a important factor in his decision. There is a few things that need to be ironed out defensively but at 22 years of age he's a player with high potential and is ready to contribute straight away in Bayern's extremely aggressive high press.

It's a very exciting signing for Bayern fans and I wish him the best, because I've followed Leipzig closely for the several years and he's a very good player.
Could also be that there weren’t so many clubs who were interested to the point that they actually gave a proposal.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
And let's not forget, both Ribery and Robben were rejects at their old clubs. Madrid was done with Robben and Ribery's flirt with Germany largely stems from the fact that France ridiculed the shit out of his appearance.

It's getting old hearing the same old whining about Bayern. Nobody whined like that when it was Madrid or Barca, but this time it's Bayern. Must be a mistake, must be cheating, clearly Bayern can't be strong enough to be attractive to anyone. It's a German club for crying out loud, those louts just don't know how to play football properly... /s

What seems to be happening to me is that Bayern's picks don't matter. At this stage, the only winning move for Bayern is not to buy anyone. From any club. Ever. Cos as soon as Bayern buys something, people will unironically talk about Bayern's poaching in a thread where Manchester United fans dismiss the same player 2-3 pages earlier. The funny bit is, if you look at the past 10 years, Bayern has somehow figured out how to rejuvinate a team with players that are decidedly not on the same level as Ronaldo, Mesis or Bale in their prime, and Bayern makes them better. Nobody acknowledges that.

Robben? Most people thought he was a literal glas cannon when he came to Bayern. Sneeze at him and he's hospitalized. And that had been true for large parts of his career, even at Bayern, and yet people still acknowledge that he was a main contributor to the era that is named after him and Ribery.

Lewa? Yeah, sure he was good for the odd 4 goals in a game in a clinch, but he wasn't reliable. He's actually aiming to beat Gerd Müller's legendary record this year. A feat none in Germany ever expected to see in their lifetime with modern football.

Thiago, who some considered a genius last season? Only reason he came to Bayern is Barca played him so little that a clause in his contract dropped his fee from 90 million to just 18. That's how little they thought of him.

On the other hand, Götze? Yeah, send that bloke right back. Total failure. Hummels? Decent, but his leaving for Dortmund was not nearly as paingful as seeing Alaba go. And there are just so many stories of players from other clubs that couldn't cut it at Bayern, because surprise, Bayern isn't just where they are because they get players on the cheap, they actually have to perform at a higher level. Constantly, for 10 years now. Everyone else is free to join in on the party. Leipzig should have the cashflow to make that happen, right? What about City, with their infinity terrorism money? Domestically or internationally, there are enough other clubs that should by all rights be on equal footing with Bayern. Yet some clubs are busy infighting in their own management for ego reasons while other clubs seem to try to complete their FIFA 21 setcard rather than actually manage a rl club with rl money for rl competitions.

But... I don't want to end this on a ranty note. It's fine for people to pick on Bayern. It's been like that for quite a while now and honestly, having lived through it, I'd rather have this than people talking about FC Hollywood again. I only dropped this post to point out the massive hypocrisy some people have. Hate on other clubs because they're not your clubs, not because they are doing what you wish your club could do... snap a finger and buy a player because the other club still hasn't figured out that a buyout clause is a really shit idea if you don't want to lose your players. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
"City with their infinity terrorism money" what did you mean by that?

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Oh, don’t get me wrong. Bayern’s open pursuit of Upamecano was embarrassing. I simply meant that it was no hidden tapping up since every club knew he could leave for 40m
Including Leipzig. I suppose they tried extending his contract with a higher release clause and he declined the offer, or how did that go? (Apologies if this was covered in previous pages.)

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Could also be that there weren’t so many clubs who were interested to the point that they actually gave a proposal.
I think with his reasonable release clause it's likely a number of clubs were interested and at 22 years of age his defensive errors could also be ironed out.

Lagger

Supports
FC Bayern
"City with their infinity terrorism money" what did you mean by that?
I didn't actually mean much, I ranted. I fixed it to the actual non-hyperbolic and more accurate description of oil money. Again, disclaimer: It's city, I don't care enough to research my prejudices against that club. :D

A-man

I think with his reasonable release clause it's likely a number of clubs were interested and at 22 years of age his defensive errors could also be ironed out.
Interested yes, but to the extent that they were willing to pay the money in the current economic situation? I’m not so sure. He has talent, but it is not a safe card, especially not with the injuries. He will probably iron out some errors, like his poor decision making sometimes, but there are also things that are more difficult to iron out like he doesn’t seem to be very aware of what’s going on around him.

I think he will grow at Bayern and they probably made a good decision, but I’m just saying there are circumstances now that means the big clubs can’t just pay up big money for talents with risks.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I didn't actually mean much, I ranted. I fixed it to the actual non-hyperbolic and more accurate description of oil money. Again, disclaimer: It's city, I don't care enough to research my prejudices against that club. :D
No worries mate. I agreed with the rest of your post though and it illustrates how well you're run as a club and even our ex legendary manager Sir Alex Ferguson speaks highly of your clubs day to day running.

OleBoiii

I love German football. The Bundesliga is the second most entertaining league(in terms of football, not "stakes") in my opinion.

Having said that, it's both sad and hilarious to see German football supporters, both Bayern supporters and otherwise, try to play down the ridiculously over-powered position Bayern have in the league. They are on course to win their 9th(!) title in a row. It's no point comparing with the PL in terms of competitiveness so I'm just gonna jump straight to Spain, which the Germans seemingly like to bring up. Yes, Real and Barca are in a similar position. But there's a clue in that sentence, unless you missed it: there are two teams, not one. That immediately makes things a lot more interesting. It's not a monopoly like the Bundesliga is.

"But Hummels and Götze hardly made a difference". For you, yes. Sometimes when you "steal" top talent, the main motivator is not always to strengthen your own team but to severely weaken your opponent. I'm not saying that this was the main purpose, but it's not like you can fail. If they turn out good: perfect. If not: well at least your rival can't keep using them and need to look elsewhere, possibly wasting a ton of money.

Giggs' right foot

Well, outside of Germany most players dream to play for Real or Barca. In Germany, some dream to play for those two too, but most players dream to play for Bayern. So what? Bayern is one of the biggest and most successful clubs in the world and a lot of players want to play for them. Especially in Germany.

England would be the same with United, if it wasn't for plastic clubs rising with ridiculous money.
So what? Absolute nothing mate. All well and good and further up I’ve even stated that I understand the positives of joining Bayern - a tremendous club, a guarantee of 4/5 championships if not 5/5 + a realistic go at UCL. But the league’s excitement - IMO - suffers from the best players going to Bayern for peanuts - mostly.

The argument is not “a player should never go to a league rival” - that happens in every league, and can often be exciting. But it really does seem to be the case, that ever so often a dynasty or a title challenger in Germany emerges, a couple of their players go to Bayern, the project shatters a bit, some of the other players now leave too - maybe some even abroad, and the team is far from being a challenger again. I mean just look at different teams winning the Bundesliga per decade after the new millennium:

00’s = Wolfsburg, Stuttgart, Bremen, Dortmund and then Bayern (x6)
10’s = Just Dortmund (x2) and Bayern (x8).
20’s = well, just a season played, but Bayern took the title yet again, but I wouldn’t be surprised if FCB plain and simple just nail the whole damn decade. It’s both a compliment to Bayern, as well as a case of low expectations to the rest of the league.

When all is said and done - the Bundesliga is a strong league - the fans are just as passionate as they come, the pool of world class talents and promising managers is definitely not to be belittled. But as for excitement over the title, it’s been inexistent for some time now.

Edit: the United part I disagree with. Even if you ignore the times we’ve been rejected at the expense of Chelsea and City in recent time, we still didn’t manage to sign Shearer, he stayed at Newcastle. We couldn’t afford to pay Di Canio the wages he wanted - not a problem Bayern are having in the Bundesliga I’d imagine, Modric and Bale picked Madrid over us, Ramsey and Oxlade both chose Arsenal over us, according to Gerrard SAF tried numerous times to sign him but he just couldn’t play for us. I’m sure there are more examples - and all these were when United were at the very top. I agree - Chelsea and City have made it even more difficult, a problem Bayern doesn’t have yet. But to suggest that United in the 90’s and 00’s was able to get Premier League players like Lewandovski, Hummels, Goetze, Klose, Mario Gomez, Lúcio, Ballack and Ze Roberto (talk about deflating Leverkusen’s wonderful team quickly - actually impressive) from the other ->title-contending<- teams just like Bayern have done - well I struggle to recall that many players from title-rivalling clubs joining United those decades. You then add Neuer, a free Goretzka, a free Nubel, a free Rode etc. etc. times a few dozen more names I can’t be bothered to type. It goes on and on and this year even the Scottish league will have a new winner. I don’t see that happening in the Bundesliga for the foreseeable future. Especially not after this transfer of Upamecano - who I strongly believe will be a permanent starter the next many seasons - I hope for him all the best.

Last edited:

OleBoiii

England would be the same with United, if it wasn't for plastic clubs rising with ridiculous money.
How many Arsenal and Liverpool players did United sign between 1990 and 2004(Chelsea breaking into the scene)? Things have obviously changed a little over the years, but even now getting a Liverpool player is out of the question. The RVP signing was a shock to everyone, Fergie included. It's an outlier, honestly. Also, Arsenal was the 4th(?) best team in England at that stage and not really a rival anymore, so it doesn't really count.

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
Don’t disagree. I’ve never said it’s the clubs fault - but the mindset of the players in the German league is extremely Bayern friendly, and it ruins the excitement of an otherwise talent-flooded league. They all want to play for Bayern. I don’t find that strange because it equals a title every year, plus a good shot at UCL - but I do find it unexciting.

Upamecano could go to hundreds of clubs in the world. Same with Lewa, Hummels, Neuer etc. They chose their club’s rival though. If I really loved my club, I’d go abroad over my club’s rival as to respect my club - that mindset is not very present in Germany it seems. In England you rarely see transfers like Campbell from Spurs to Arsenal - you rarely see players move from Everton <-> Liverpool, United <-> Liverpool, or United <-> City. City are even these days including it as a clause when selling some of their youngsters, that the buying club can’t sell to us. That animosity I think would benefit the overall experience of the Bundesliga.
Fair enough, but the rivalvry between soem teams in the PL is way bigger. Many clubs has been big rivals for a long time, not to mention that some of the biggest rivalries in the PL are between clubs from once city. The rivalry between Bayern/Leipzig for example is not as big. That is one of the reason why PL is more attractive and therefore ahead in TV money and the PL will be always more competetive and attractive for obvious reason. But so will Bayern always be the more attractive option in Germany for obvious reasons. I don't think you can blame the players and clubs too much to be fair.

Pl will always be ahead of other leagues , so will Bayern . The gap can't be closed longterm other than when some miracle happens.

If Upamecano has a clause which says he can't go to Bayern, then he goes to Liverpool and Bayern buys another top defender. Wouldn't change anything other than Bayern spending a bit more money for someone else. Leizig still lose their player. ITs not Bayern , it is also PL buying all the top Bundesliga players. Son, Keita, Werner, Havertz, Gündogan, Leno, De Bruyne, Mertesacker, Kompany, Dzeko, Kagawa, Podolski, Mykhitarian. A clause not to sell players to the PL would help more I believe !

Last edited:

redrobed

Another playing choosing the money rather than showing some ambition. Probably not good enough for us anyway. Let’s get Kounde.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Upamecano going to Bayern was done in around November I believe.

Not the right option for United anyway.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
You mean like Hummels going back to his family in Munich? ;)
The poster specifically quoted Arsenal and Chelsea transfers. None of them were high profile and they were mostly for players that were washed up at their respective clubs and them choosing to stay in the same city.

Do you think there is a clear pick between the bigger clubs in england for a rising youngster?

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Having said that, it's both sad and hilarious to see German football supporters, both Bayern supporters and otherwise, try to play down the ridiculously over-powered position Bayern have in the league. They are on course to win their 9th(!) title in a row.
I think it's good that you keep pointing it out, because I agree, I too get the strong feeling that non-Bayern supporting Bundesliga posters are not realizing just how dominant we are, and how boring the title race is because of that.
There's just too little awareness of this aspect of Bundesliga, it's frankly baffling how this keeps being ignored.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
But to be fair he had a release clause and multiple international top teams wanted him. It is not Leipzig's fault that he chose Bayern over some other top teams. It was the same with Lewandowski.It is not like Bayern forced the clubs to sell those players to them, it was the players decision. If Lewandowski wouldn't have gone to Bayern, then he would have ended up at Madrid. But Lewandowski prefered Bayern, same with Upamecano. And in last 4-5 years Bayern haven't actually bought any player from their competitor who was siginificant improving Bayern/ weakening the rival team
Is a release clause mandatory in Germany?

amolbhatia50k

Considering the amount of highly rated young talented CBs that seem to be emerging, can't say I care too much about his. Not seen much of either of these chaps but most aren't to think Konate and Kounde, for example, have just as much ability. But we have to get on of these big defensive talents in, that's for sure.

OleBoiii

I think it's good that you keep pointing it out, because I agree, I too get the strong feeling that non-Bayern supporting Bundesliga posters are not realizing just how dominant we are, and how boring the title race is because of that.
There's just too little awareness of this aspect of Bundesliga, it's frankly baffling how this keeps being ignored.
I never claimed that downplaying Bayern's dominance was the norm. That doesn't make any less sad/funny when it does happen.

Giggs' right foot

Fair enough, but the rivalvry between soem teams in the PL is way bigger. Many clubs has been big rivals for a long time, not to mention that some of the biggest rivalries in the PL are between clubs from once city. The rivalry between Bayern/Leipzig for example is not as big. That is one of the reason why PL is more attractive and therefore ahead in TV money and the PL will be always more competetive and attractive for obvious reason. But so will Bayern always be the more attractive option in Germany for obvious reasons. I don't think you can blame the players and clubs too much to be fair.

Pl will always be ahead of other leagues , so will Bayern . The gap can't be closed longterm other than when some miracle happens.

If Upamecano has a clause which says he can't go to Bayern, then he goes to Liverpool and Bayern buys another top defender. Wouldn't change anything other than Bayern spending a bit more money for someone else. Leizig still lose their player. ITs not Bayern , it is also PL buying all the top Bundesliga players. Son, Keita, Werner, Havertz, Gündogan, Leno, De Bruyne, Mertesacker, Kompany, Dzeko, Kagawa, Podolski, Mykhitarian. A clause not to sell players to the PL would help more I believe !
I think you’re right - it is what it is, and I’m no football-CEO, but I don’t understand how it’s not preferred to skip a player to Italy, England or Spain, over moving them to Bayern? That I don’t get. And I don’t get lads like Neuer, Lewa, Goetze, Hummels and the like - who literally could choose ANY club in the world, but landed on Bayern. And to be clear - neither did I get it, when Wenger sold us RVP and didn’t just chuck him to Juventus. In my - maybe too small for my own good - little brain, I do not get selling players to rivals - IF - another move abroad is possible. “You what Gabriel Heinze? Wanna join Liverpool? Get fecked.” That’s the mentality I’d like some German teams adapt towards Bayern. Not because I dislike Bayern - but the league is asleep, and has been so for some time.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Who is even denying that? No Bundesliga supporter, not even Dortmund fans, disagree with the notion that the Bundesliga is a one horse race.

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
Is a release clause mandatory in Germany?
No, but most the top youngsters probably insist on one when extending their contract. He just extended his contract 1 year ago if I am not wrong and Leipzig probably was happy to include a release clause when he stay 1 or 2 seasons longer.

OutlawGER

Supports
Bayern München, 1. FC Köln
So what? Absolute nothing mate. All well and good and further up I’ve even stated that I understand the positives of joining Bayern - a tremendous club, a guarantee of 4/5 championships if not 5/5 + a realistic go at UCL. But the league’s excitement - IMO - suffers from the best players going to Bayern for peanuts - mostly.

The argument is not “a player should never go to a league rival” - that happens in every league, and can often be exciting. But it really does seem to be the case, that ever so often a dynasty or a title challenger in Germany emerges, a couple of their players go to Bayern, the project shatters a bit, some of the other players now leave too - maybe some even abroad, and the team is far from being a challenger again. I mean just look at different teams winning the Bundesliga per decade after the new millennium:

00’s = Wolfsburg, Stuttgart, Bremen, Dortmund and then Bayern (x6)
10’s = Just Dortmund (x2) and Bayern (x8).
20’s = well, just a season played, but Bayern took the title yet again, but I wouldn’t be surprised if FCB plain and simple just nail the whole damn decade. It’s both a compliment to Bayern, as well as a case of low expectations to the rest of the league.

When all is said and done - the Bundesliga is a strong league - the fans are just as passionate as they come, the pool of world class talents and promising managers is definitely not to be belittled. But as for excitement over the title, it’s been inexistent for some time now.
You are spot on. But what can you do about it?

The problem is that simple: Bayern is doing too well. But obviously you can't tell them to stop doing well.

In the 90's and 00's they were hated in Germany for exactly that already. The difference is, they were not galactico-esque good. From season to season, there were some clubs which were able to give them a go and were able to snatch some titles away. Unfortunately there has been a lot of mismanagement in other clubs during that times. So no one was able to consistently compete. Some even struggled to stay in the league after competing for the title a season before. It basically always was a different team which was challenging them, to name a few: Schalke, Dortmund, Stuttgart, Wolfsburg, Leverkusen, Kaiserslautern, Werder Bremen.

Internationally they were also not S-Tier. They were good here and there, but usually they were no favorites to win the CL.

But this has drastically changed in the 10's.
A few events have pushed them to get more ambitious and work much harder and better and also change their usual policies which held them back before.
Events such as:
- Ballack leaving for free to Chelsea (loss of prestige)
- Oliver Kahn ending his career (new era)
- Klinsmann losing 4-0 to Barca (not competitive in Europe)
- the success of Riberys transfer (their very first expensive purchase from abroad, which basically changed their policy of only getting cheaper players from Bundesliga)
- Van Gaal inventing a new, dominant, game philosophy
- Klopp's Dortmund humilating them twice in a row and getting very popular (now even dominance in Germany was at stake)

All this, and even more, made them the galactico-esque team they are today. Bundesliga has not become worse, they have just gotten so much better. You have to be on Real/Barca level to compete with this Bayern consistently. And obviously there is no team in Germany close to that.

So again, what to do about it? I, as a Bundesliga fan, enjoy having such a great team in our league. In the 00's i was full of envy seeing teams like AC Milan, Barca, the english teams etc. playing with top stars consistently to win UCL.

The solution to our problem is 'easy'. The Bundesliga needs one or better two teams more which can compete with them. Dortmund tried, but it's not possible, at least not over 10 years (after coming from almost beeing bankrupt). Their problem is not only the money, but also their prestige. As soon as one of their players develop into a star player, he desires to play for a top club such as Bayern, Real, Barca, or some English club. And this narrative, of not beeing a top club prestigewise, seems almost impossible to overcome only with hard work (and without an endless pocket of money).
Besides of them trying to develop the top talent in world football, i think their policy is a comparable approach to what Bayern has done in the 90's and 00's. Tap up the better players of lesser Bundesliga teams, as efficient as possible and grow from there over time. It is not working perfect for them right now, but they make up for it with their investments in talents from abroad. Over time i think they have the potential to become a top club. But this still takes a lot of time, probably more than another 10 years. Bayern has also not become as big they are today in just a few years.

There is also a team in Germany which could have done as good, if not better, than Dortmund over the past 10 years. They had everything they needed to go a comparable path. But their constant mismanagement is the reason why they absolutely deserve to be relegated this season as a consequence. They had it all, really. The fans, the attention (in Germany), more money than others and the by far best youth academy in Europe, if not the whole world, over the past decade. Schalke 04. But their management somehow lead them to the worst path possible, unfortunately.

And this kind of mismanagement is one of the reasons why Bayern is that dominant. And this will not change unless Bayern becomes much weaker. And if they don't, there is currently only hope in BVB and maybe RBL. But they still need a lot of time.
I am not even sure, if the fall of 50+1 would change anything. Would someone with oil money really buy a german club and do a PSG with them? I doubt that.

Sorry for wall of text. ^^

Good night!

Giggs' right foot

You are spot on. But what can you do about it?

The problem is that simple: Bayern is doing too well. But obviously you can't tell them to stop doing well.

In the 90's and 00's they were hated in Germany for exactly that already. The difference is, they were not galactico-esque good. From season to season, there were some clubs which were able to give them a go and were able to snatch some titles away. Unfortunately there has been a lot of mismanagement in other clubs during that times. So no one was able to consistently compete. Some even struggled to stay in the league after competing for the title a season before. It basically always was a different team which was challenging them, to name a few: Schalke, Dortmund, Stuttgart, Wolfsburg, Leverkusen, Kaiserslautern, Werder Bremen.

Internationally they were also not S-Tier. They were good here and there, but usually they were no favorites to win the CL.

But this has drastically changed in the 10's.
A few events have pushed them to get more ambitious and work much harder and better and also change their usual policies which held them back before.
Events such as:
- Ballack leaving for free to Chelsea (loss of prestige)
- Oliver Kahn ending his career (new era)
- Klinsmann losing 4-0 to Barca (not competitive in Europe)
- the success of Riberys transfer (their very first expensive purchase from abroad, which basically changed their policy of only getting cheaper players from Bundesliga)
- Van Gaal inventing a new, dominant, game philosophy
- Klopp's Dortmund humilating them twice in a row and getting very popular (now even dominance in Germany was at stake)

All this, and even more, made them the galactico-esque team they are today. Bundesliga has not become worse, they have just gotten so much better. You have to be on Real/Barca level to compete with this Bayern consistently. And obviously there is no team in Germany close to that.

So again, what to do about it? I, as a Bundesliga fan, enjoy having such a great team in our league. In the 00's i was full of envy seeing teams like AC Milan, Barca, the english teams etc. playing with top stars consistently to win UCL.

The solution to our problem is 'easy'. The Bundesliga needs one or better two teams more which can compete with them. Dortmund tried, but it's not possible, at least not over 10 years (after coming from almost beeing bankrupt). Their problem is not only the money, but also their prestige. As soon as one of their players develop into a star player, he desires to play for a top club such as Bayern, Real, Barca, or some English club. And this narrative, of not beeing a top club prestigewise, seems almost impossible to overcome only with hard work (and without an endless pocket of money).
Besides of them trying to develop the top talent in world football, i think their policy is a comparable approach to what Bayern has done in the 90's and 00's. Tap up the better players of lesser Bundesliga teams, as efficient as possible and grow from there over time. It is not working perfect for them right now, but they make up for it with their investments in talents from abroad. Over time i think they have the potential to become a top club. But this still takes a lot of time, probably more than another 10 years. Bayern has also not become as big they are today in just a few years.

There is also a team in Germany which could have done as good, if not better, than Dortmund over the past 10 years. They had everything they needed to go a comparable path. But their constant mismanagement is the reason why they absolutely deserve to be relegated this season as a consequence. They had it all, really. The fans, the attention (in Germany), more money than others and the by far best youth academy in Europe, if not the whole world, over the past decade. Schalke 04. But their management somehow lead them to the worst path possible, unfortunately.

And this kind of mismanagement is one of the reasons why Bayern is that dominant. And this will not change unless Bayern becomes much weaker. And if they don't, there is currently only hope in BVB and maybe RBL. But they still need a lot of time.
I am not even sure, if the fall of 50+1 would change anything. Would someone with oil money really buy a german club and do a PSG with them? I doubt that.

Sorry for wall of text. ^^

Good night!
I appreciate the post - it’s a great read! Especially the events leading Bayern on the all-conquering path - it’s really interesting. And you’re right - not much to do, especially not in cases like this with Upamecano who’s leaving on a release clause or the cases where Bayern are clever and pick up some great and not too expensive players like Kimmich, Parvard and Gnabry. As a neutral you could be forgiven for hoping Upamecano had wanted a go at Spain or England or maybe even staying - but Bayern is a trophy-guarantee and a good place if you want the national manager to notice you.

I hope you’re right and that down the line a Dortmund-challenge might be a possibility in the future - but God knows it’s not this year! Let’s see in 2022 if we’re having the same back-and-forth - but with Haaland’s name instead of Upamecano ;-)

Gazza

I had the strangest dream the other night, I saw Petr Cech, David Luiz and Willian in an Arsenal shirt, while Giroud was wearing blue. I know I must have been dreaming because in England players never transfer to their rivals, if they really love their club.
I actually don’t disagree with your larger point but you picked like the worst examples to make the point :lol:

amolbhatia50k

No, but most the top youngsters probably insist on one when extending their contract. He just extended his contract 1 year ago if I am not wrong and Leipzig probably was happy to include a release clause when he stay 1 or 2 seasons longer.
It's interesting that release clauses are such a big part of contracts in Spain and Germany whereas in England, it's just not a thing and hence small clubs can rinse bigger ones clean. For example, would Leipzig have lost Upamecano to another club willing to add in a release clause, hence they would have had to? Again in England I doubt players like Maddison or Grealish could do so. For us obviously it would be great if all the big talents here would have such clauses.

Bulldog United

He was quick to sign on the dotted line as it became clearer Liverpool was his main alternative option. Good lad, I wish him well at Bayern in their domestic campaigns.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
People were saying Konate vs better than Upamecano (I know minimal about either player)- however considering Bayern went for Upamecano then I'd say that they ended up with the best deal considering they hardly get transfers wrong.

The only way that I can see that they could have made a bad deal/bad transfer is if Bayern themselves are going through a rebuilding phase and finding themselves a bit lost (like how Barcelona & Real are atm).

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Upamecano could go to hundreds of clubs in the world. Same with Lewa, Hummels, Neuer etc. They chose their club’s rival though. If I really loved my club, I’d go abroad over my club’s rival as to respect my club - that mindset is not very present in Germany it seems. In England you rarely see transfers like Campbell from Spurs to Arsenal - you rarely see players move from Everton <-> Liverpool, United <-> Liverpool, or United <-> City. City are even these days including it as a clause when selling some of their youngsters, that the buying club can’t sell to us. That animosity I think would benefit the overall experience of the Bundesliga.
Hundreds of clubs to go to? Are you serious?

RB Leipzig was in the CL semifinal last year and is definitely a top 20 club in Europe. On top it's very well run, with a clear vision of playing football and they with Nagelsmann they have one of the most exciting coaches.

That narrows his options down to less than 10 clubs, if he really wants to take the next step and join an elite team.
Bayern are currently the best team in world, like it or not. On top they are well known to run their club absolutely professionally. They got their famous Festgeld Konto and never recorded losses before this pandemic.
The 2 Spanish teams are in financial troubles, one more than the other of course. They are also in a rebuilding period. Not an easy task, especially in the middle of the pandemic.
Then you have Juventus, which are staffed with defenders and of course PSG.
In England you had Liverpool and Man Utd being interested.
Not really hundred of clubs to choose from.

There were plenty of players moving between top clubs.
Maguire, Kanye and Chilwell from Leicester. Arsenal lost many of their star players over the years.
Touré, Nasri, Clichy, Sagna, Adebayor joined Man City alone.
Ashley Cole joined Chelsea. Sanchez and van Persie joined Man United.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Real Madras

Supports
Real Oviedo
Got skinned alive by Rashford on multiple occasions. Probably didn’t feel up to it!

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
People were saying Konate vs better than Upamecano (I know minimal about either player)- however considering Bayern went for Upamecano then I'd say that they ended up with the best deal considering they hardly get transfers wrong.

The only way that I can see that they could have made a bad deal/bad transfer is if Bayern themselves are going through a rebuilding phase and finding themselves a bit lost (like how Barcelona & Real are atm).
I think the general feel is that Upamecano is a bit better on the ball while Konate is a bit better defensively. With Bayern being as dominant as they are in the vast majority of games the extra ball-playing is probably a better attribute. Plus of course there is the issue with Konate's injuries over the last 18 months or so.

Bondi77

He looks like a better ball player than he is a defender so the Premier League is probably not a good fit for him.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
It's interesting that release clauses are such a big part of contracts in Spain and Germany whereas in England, it's just not a thing and hence small clubs can rinse bigger ones clean. For example, would Leipzig have lost Upamecano to another club willing to add in a release clause, hence they would have had to? Again in England I doubt players like Maddison or Grealish could do so. For us obviously it would be great if all the big talents here would have such clauses.
Bayern doesn't have release clauses in their contracts.
RB Leipzig did it with Werner and Upamecano most likely as a concession to them signing new contacts and avoid the situation they could leave on free at the end of season.

As far as I know release clauses are mandatory in player contracts in Spain.

Upamecano is more a playing defender. Thus fits Bayern style of play better. He is also less injury prone.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
The poster specifically quoted Arsenal and Chelsea transfers. None of them were high profile and they were mostly for players that were washed up at their respective clubs and them choosing to stay in the same city.

Do you think there is a clear pick between the bigger clubs in england for a rising youngster?
None? I think Ashley Cole was considered the best left back in the PL the time he moved from Arsenal to Chelsea.

Okey

You just gotta love Bayern in the transfer market haven't you? Smooth as silk.

Polar

Hope Upamecano stay in Germany. If PL, I think he ends up in City or LFC. Ok for me. I am not very interested in him. Spending on 40-50m Upamecano is to risky.

The German league is different to PL, especially the demands to CB. To me it seems like the CBs in Bundesliga get a way with a lot; they’re able to camouflage their vulnerabilities which probably will be more exposed in PL.

Status
Not open for further replies.