Dayot Upamecano | Signs for Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
He's most definitely leaving this summer bar a major change in fortunes for Leipzig or change in mind, and I presume not for a lot of money. Would be a fantastic buy for any club in Europe. A complete CB, strong, quick, good reading of the game and technical.

Arguably the biggest CB talent in the BL, alongside Konate.

ghagua

We nearly had him a few years ago. Has turned into a really good player. We need to get him to partner with Maguire.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Well what is without doubt is that we have a huge scouting file on him. We’ve had our eye on him for at least 5 years and tried to do a deal when he was 15/16 or something.

Think the stars could align this summer in the sense that he’s available on the cheap, relatively. We need to shift a few centre halves first though. Jones is obviously of no use to us, and Smalling and Rojo will likely go permanently. I don’t think we need all 3 of Lindelöf, Bailly and Tuanzebe either.

sp_107

Little bit injury prone otherwise he would be a very good signing.
We lost him 5 years back as we offered him a shared accommodation instead of a private flat (hope same attitude won't surface while negotiating future contracts if we sign him).
He is a die hard UTD fan too which is a plus, I think one of Konate,Tah,Upamacamo would be a better option than going for Koulibaly in summer if we are signing a CB.

What you guys think of Jonatha Tah's 34M release clause? For that money we can have a strong CB with great passing, good in air and also a very good game reader.

Last edited:

Craig Ward

He was impressive against spurs, and generally he was impressive whenever i've seen him this season.

the 3 at the back suits him, allows him to step out and compete for the ball. If we was in a 2 he;d be a bit more restricted in that aspect of his game.

Looks good on the ball, strong, powerful. Is he a bit similar to Bailly?

For me, if we are going to sign 3 or 4 players i dont think CB will be covered unless something drastic happens in terms of outgoings - Jones, Rojo, Smalling AND Bailly and we would need to sign one

Alabaster Codify7

He's fantastic, and would be a top-class partner for Maguire. I suspect we aren't in for a CB this summer though which would be fair enough, we can re-evaluate next summer.

jesperjaap

He impressed me tonight. Pretty sure impressed lot of people not just me. Still young but already looks like an experienced one.

However, let’s be real, we ain’t signing a centre back this summer, very unlikely. I think our budget will be around 100m slightly more or less, and we‘ll use it to sign Sancho.

Any additional money will only be used for someone like backup striker (Ighalo for example) and young talented for future player with no more than 30m (Bellingham for example).
Lets not forget we already have Jones, Smalling and Rojo still surplus at centre back, even possibly Bailly. Sanchez is still our player, Pogba despite what SOlkjear has said could and in my kind certainly should be sold......we are talking of £200m of possible exits there potentially. Personally I would rather Lindelof goes than Bailly as Lindelof to me is never going to be anything other than average.
Either way, I thougth in the summer we should have signed two centre backs as I still dont see a great partnership there, though was hopeful for Tuanzabe. I do like Bailly and its good to see him doing well again recently but there is always that fear of injury or him doing something crazy in a game.
I have said for three years now we should be signing Upamecano, he is the best young centre back in Europe....probably alongside his team mate Konate.
I just dont see the right centre forward out there at the moment for us to sign, so woul dbe happy to make Ighalo permanent for another year. Doing that and selling the players I mentioned, there would be enough money to buy an Upamecano, Sancho and a Grealish for example

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Unfortunately I think he will be perfect for City, in a position they desperately need.

CB is the least of our issues at the moment.

Paddymcc

Look decent against spurs however he also looked clumsy in that 1v1 when he was pulled out wide and the spurs lad just ghosted past him by slowing down and speeding up again.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
What you guys think of Jonatha Tah's 34M release clause? For that money we can have a strong CB with great passing, good in air and also a very good game reader.
Best value out there I think:

Can see us spending double that on somebody not a lot better than him

Him and Sanchez would be good at spurs... Could see that happening

Would possibly be a good option alongside laporte but pep will probably just buy a midfielder and stick him in the back four

Can't see us going for him as given his release clause and low wages plus the fact he woul probably walk into our team you would have thought if we were interested we would have scouts there and there would be numerous links... Somebody's going to get a bargain though (but probably not us)

gajender

Best value out there I think:

Can see us spending double that on somebody not a lot better than him

Him and Sanchez would be good at spurs... Could see that happening

Would possibly be a good option alongside laporte but pep will probably just buy a midfielder and stick him in the back four

Can't see us going for him as given his release clause and low wages plus the fact he woul probably walk into our team you would have thought if we were interested we would have scouts there and there would be numerous links... Somebody's going to get a bargain though (but probably not us)
Have you been following him because most posters who regularly follow German league seem to think he has stagnated and isn't actually good enough for top team.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Have you been following him because most posters who regularly follow German league seem to think he has stagnated and isn't actually good enough for top team.
It's true that he's stagnated, whether he's good enough for a top team is dependent on whether they have the patience to help him develop for one season or two because the talent is definitely there.

Similar to Leno, he stagnated at Leverkusen and when he moved to Arsenal I thought he wouldn't be good enough. In his first season, he was showing the same inconsistent performances he did at Leverkusen but this season he's been brilliant, arguably in the top 3 goalkeepers this EPL season after Allison and Henderson.

Can be the same Tah, he's shown plenty of potential before to suggest he can still be a great defender but, yes, that is looking less likely season after season. Maybe at a better team, with more stable defensive partners and tactics, his quality can be shown more.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Not every game obvs... But I've seen him play for Germany a few times in the last few seasons and the odd full game as well as highlights of most games

I'd say around 2 years ago he was in a bit of a slump but he's bounced back as indicated on his transfermarkt value
https://www.transfermarkt.com/jonathan-tah/marktwertverlauf/spieler/196357

I think he would suit the pl... I think he would be a good addition to any squad considering his buy out clause

And after a 3 year absence from the national team squad he forced his way back in during 2019 and played 5 games

He's 24 and I think just coming into his prime... Physically he's a beast and his passing is good for a centre back and certainly very good for a 6 foot 5 physically strong centre back

Can see him at spurs with Sanchez and that would be a very good pairing for Jose

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Not every game obvs... But I've seen him play for Germany a few times in the last few seasons and the odd full game as well as highlights of most games

I'd say around 2 years ago he was in a bit of a slump but he's bounced back as indicated on his transfermarkt value
https://www.transfermarkt.com/jonathan-tah/marktwertverlauf/spieler/196357

I think he would suit the pl... I think he would be a good addition to any squad considering his buy out clause

And after a 3 year absence from the national team squad he forced his way back in during 2019 and played 5 games

He's 24 and I think just coming into his prime... Physically he's a beast and his passing is good for a centre back and certainly very good for a 6 foot 5 physically strong centre back

Can see him at spurs with Sanchez and that would be a very good pairing for Jose
Jose will throw both under the bus first mistake they make.

Then again, Jose might be gone by then

arthurka

I agree he is following the same path as Tah did.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
If he's injury prone I'm out. That's exactly what we don't need more of.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
I agree he is following the same path as Tah did.
I think he was talking about Tah and not Upamecano. Upamecano hasn't stagnated at all, had injury problems last season but this season he's been back to being good.

arthurka

I think he was talking about Tah and not Upamecano. Upamecano hasn't stagnated at all, had injury problems last season but this season he's been back to being good.
I actually agree with him, Upamecano has been a bit ordinary since his injury.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I actually agree with him, Upamecano has been a bit ordinary since his injury.

I know a lot of peoples reaction will be that they would not want their centreback to move that much with the ball. But the fact that he is allowed to is a reflection of how good he is on the ball.

He is also the player at RBS with most
passes in the final third.

His duel success, both on the ground and in the air is equal impressive. Almost van Dijk-level.

At 21 he seems like a very rare talent and one we should consider strongly if there is a small chance. He has a buy out-clause, but I can imagine Man City and Chelsea will be all over him.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

I know a lot of peoples reaction will be that they would not want their centreback to move that much with the ball. But the fact that he is allowed to is a reflection of how good he is on the ball.

His duel success, both on the ground and in the air is equal impressive. Almost van Dijk-level.

At 21 he seems like a very rare talent and one we should consider strongly if there is a small chance. He has a buy out-clause, but I can imagine Man City and Chelsea will be all over him.
Pretty impressive, Smalling doesn’t look that bad in that graph either compared to big names such as Koulibaly and Gimenez.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Pretty impressive, Smalling doesn’t look that bad in that graph either compared to big names such as Koulibaly and Gimenez.
Hard to argue against Smalling of the ball.

In my opinion, central defenders are hard because you need to watch them quite a bit. Their ability to not be very poor every tent game is probably just as important as their ability to be great and make flashy, last ditch tackles.

I do not watch enough of RBS to know that for sure about Upamecano. But he is obviously very talented and very good, especially considering his age. And he has always been considered a big talent. For what its worth, whoscored had «concentration» as one of his strengths.

thepolice123

From the little I’ve seen of RBS this season, it seems like they play him almost like a sweeper and given license to go forward. That should explain the KMs.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Subotic is a monster in the air

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Hard to argue against Smalling of the ball.

In my opinion, central defenders are hard because you need to watch them quite a bit. Their ability to not be very poor every tent game is probably just as important as their ability to be great and make flashy, last ditch tackles.

I do not watch enough of RBS to know that for sure about Upamecano. But he is obviously very talented and very good, especially considering his age. And he has always been considered a big talent. For what its worth, whoscored had «concentration» as one of his strengths.
Agree with you, thanks for sharing the stats & graph, really interesting to see.

I too don't watch enough of Upamecano bar the youtube highlights... and games in which he played in the Champions League. But the ratings everywhere seem to regard him highly.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Agree with you, thanks for sharing the stats & graph, really interesting to see.

I too don't watch enough of Upamecano bar the youtube highlights... and games in which he played in the Champions League. But the ratings everywhere seem to regard him highly.
Similar to Koulibaly its rare to have a defender who's physically imposing yet very comfortable on the ball; Van Dijk like i'd say.

For his young age he doesn't seem to make many mistakes either, shame we didn't get him when we were linked in france.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Is Maguire on this graph? I can’t see him. I spot Lindelof towards the middle right-ish.

arthurka

I agree I think we should buy him but I have watched a lot of Bundesliga this season and have never really been amazed by him, something that I was regularly last session. But he just might have set his standards so high that is just something I am already used to. But again I would love to see him at Utd as he is everything that Lindelöf isn't.

Brightonian

These stats are really interesting, cheers for sharing. Should only be taken as what they are, of course, as there is a lot more to defending than just these two things and the numbers are completely decontextualised. But still, as a resource it's interesting to look at. Check out Smalling and Maguire chilling next to Van Dijk there.

Certainly a pretty persuasive argument for Upamecano's ability. And for Subotic's weird aerial dominance!

Jam

These stats are really interesting, cheers for sharing. Should only be taken as what they are, of course, as there is a lot more to defending than just these two things and the numbers are completely decontextualised. But still, as a resource it's interesting to look at. Check out Smalling and Maguire chilling next to Van Dijk there.

Certainly a pretty persuasive argument for Upamecano's ability. And for Subotic's weird aerial dominance!
To be fair he’s 6’4.

Red00012

He’s unafffordable on FM2020 so he must be good.
Thankfully Axel stepped up to the mark;)

Icemav

Ah yeah I see him. Cheers mate. Not bad showing from him there.
From both of them. I guess its why we dont concede many goals. 2 consistent CB performers.

Based on the chart however it would appear Upamecano could be a Van Dijk level talent. Do we need him? No. Could he potentially make us a stronger team? Yes.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's talented but won't ever reach Van dyke levels IMO. Ibrahima Konate is the one that could reach Van dyke levels and was lauded by many as among the best CBs in the German Bundesliga last season at the age of 19.

Konate is superior to Upamecano aerially, better at bringing the ball out from defence statistically and also had a better duel success rate. The only thing Upamecano had the edge over Konate in was passing but it was said that Konate was closing the gap in that regard.

I personally hope we wait a season and try and sign the physically imposing Konate. But i'd take either over De Ligt.

Status
Not open for further replies.