Dayot Upamecano | Signs for Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
This bloke just signed a new contract, there is absolutely no reason to sell and no reason for us to buy now when a buyout clause comes into effect next summer.
The only caveat being their new contracts need to be signed when their release clauses expire. I do doubt they sell him now though especially this late in the window.
Poor planning by United, he could have been ours for 55m euros back in June

croadyman

I would love to have a comanding center back like Upe, but we'd have to sell at least 2 or 3 of our 6 center backs that we have on our books. It's an absolute mess in that position.

It's the same talk in every transfer window regarding Phil Jones and Marcos Rojo. We have to get rid of them but there is interest in either of them. At this point, we should be considering buying both of their contracts out like we did with Sanchez and letting them both walk for free.
Yeah definitely need to show some ruthlessness with our CB deadwood because a top quality CB with pace is probably equally as important as signing a RW in this window, Lindelof just gives me nightmares, Bailly/Tuanzebe's fitness really concerns me and Mengi shouldn't be thrown into a situation like this right now. I haven't even got to Jones & Rojo who are on far too much money and therefore we are lumbered with for the forseeable future.

Red_toad

Liepzig preparing to sell by getting in his replacement Josko Gvardiol, it'll be on next summer. Pretty well oiled club when it comes to rotating players and making money.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Liepzig preparing to sell by getting in his replacement Josko Gvardiol, it'll be on next summer. Pretty well oiled club when it comes to rotating players and making money.
I don't think it means anything tbf. He'll likely slot into a back 3 with Konate and Upamecano.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Leipzig have been playing their supposed fullbacks in the center all throughout last season, one of their three out and out CBs, Orban, appeared to be out of favour after an injury and the Corona break. They have reason to sign a CB no matter what happens with Upamecano, though of course at the moment it indeed looks like he will leave next summer.

ghagua

Smalling -> Roma (18M) (experience)
Jones -> West Ham (5M) (experience)
Rojo -> Unspecified Argentinian Side (3M) (experience)

Mata -> Spain (3-5M) (age experience)
Lingard -> Spurs (15-18M) (27 years old prime time)

The rest are a bonus, IF united can't sell them, slash their price by 2M or so, their wages over a year is a headache which will add up.

Assuming 80k p/w on 4 players is £20m a year.
We might be lucky to get about 14 million each for Smalling and Lingard. The others we will have to give a free transfer and hope someone is willing to pick up their wages.

NFM

Nice goal in the 1st half. But Maguire/Lindelof-esque on the goal conceded.
We have two excellent young talents coming through at CB in Mengi and Fish , together our 22yr old who is still looking for Mbappe in his back pocket. We do not need this right footed guy.

lysglimt

Scout
Just read an article (sorry if it has been posted before) - that the lad wanted to come here, but we only wanted to pay £500.000 and his club wanted £700.000 - so the deal was off :)

The good thing is - judging from Hannibal and Kambwala - it looks like we have learned our lesson and actually pay for big talent now.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
the sun on sunday

Manchester United missed out on signing RB Leipzig star Dayot Upamecano - because of a row over £200,000.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Nice goal in the 1st half. But Maguire/Lindelof-esque on the goal conceded.
I would not blame him for the goal. It was Tyler Adams who ran out of position towards Lukabakio impulsively. Upamecano would have had Lukabakio covered and Adams had to cover the run of Cordoba. With Adams racing out of position, Cordoba was in open space and therefore Upamecano had to try and cover him. It was poor from Adams.

Bestietom

The only caveat being their new contracts need to be signed when their release clauses expire. I do doubt they sell him now though especially this late in the window.
Poor planning by United, he could have been ours for 55m euros back in June
At the time he was more beneficial to us than VdB, where we had cover for that position.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
the sun on sunday
Manchester United missed out on signing RB Leipzig star Dayot Upamecano - because of a row over £200,000.
Yeah, apparently Woodward over ruled the advice of Rio Ferdinand. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.... :lol:

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I would not blame him for the goal. It was Tyler Adams who ran out of position towards Lukabakio impulsively. Upamecano would have had Lukabakio covered and Adams had to cover the run of Cordoba. With Adams racing out of position, Cordoba was in open space and therefore Upamecano had to try and cover him. It was poor from Adams.
Tyler Adams didn't play in the game.

beingshe7don

United are so so poor and tactless when it comes to transfers or strategizing, it's a complete disgrace. Liverpool have VVD out for 7 months or so and are acting immediately by getting Ozan Kabak tied up for 20m before the Jan window even opens. Yet we who need a consistent and reliable CB haven't made an approach to secure Upamecano? I mean yes his release clause is going to be 36m in the summer but why don't we pay 40m now and have him secured before we let the likes of Bayern, Real, Barcelona, Chelsea, PSG, and City start circling in.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
United are so so poor and tactless when it comes to transfers or strategizing, it's a complete disgrace. Liverpool have VVD out for 7 months or so and are acting immediately by getting Ozan Kabak tied up for 20m before the Jan window even opens. Yet we who need a consistent and reliable CB haven't made an approach to secure Upamecano? I mean yes his release clause is going to be 36m in the summer but why don't we pay 40m now and have him secured before we let the likes of Bayern, Real, Barcelona, Chelsea, PSG, and City start circling in.
How the feck would you know if we've made an approach for Upamecano or not?

beingshe7don

How the feck would you know if we've made an approach for Upamecano or not?
It's MAN UTD (I assume you've heard the name before). If we've made an approach, it would be all over the papers by now as our management isn't capable of doing deals under wraps.

AltiUn

It's MAN UTD (I assume you've heard the name before). If we've made an approach, it would be all over the papers by now as our management isn't capable of doing deals under wraps.
So you don't know, thanks for the confirmation. For the record, the van de Beek deal was silent on our end. There were rumblings of interest back in March from Dutch sources, then radio silence for months, the next time we heard his name he'd already signed for us. We're very capable of keeping things under wraps. Romano has said we're long time admirers of Upamecano. Plenty of clubs made an approach for him this summer, but he was adamant he wanted to remain at Liepzig for another year. Liepzig will likely be challenging for the title in Germany by January, I'd be surprised if they entertained any offers for Upamecano, immediate or future, to avoid distractions.

beingshe7don

So you don't know, thanks for the confirmation. For the record, the van de Beek deal was silent on our end. There were rumblings of interest back in March from Dutch sources, then radio silence for months, the next time we heard his name he'd already signed for us. We're very capable of keeping things under wraps. Romano has said we're long time admirers of Upamecano. Plenty of clubs made an approach for him this summer, but he was adamant he wanted to remain at Liepzig for another year. Liepzig will likely be challenging for the title in Germany by January, I'd be surprised if they entertained any offers for Upamecano, immediate or future, to avoid distractions.
We've done so many deals and you decided to go with one example of VDB. Do you know why we got the deal done so quickly?
1. VDB always wanted to leave for Real Madrid who had agreed terms with Ajax and VDB (Before Covid) and with Real facing financial issues, they retracted their statement. He was gonna be a fringe player anyway.
2. VDB had no other takers in the market and with the Eredivisie be called off, Ajax despite winning made a loss and they had to recoup that money and they've tried to do so with the transfers of (VDB, Sergino Dest and one other player)
3. Most important reason was that Van Der Sar is the CEO and with him being an ex-United player, he helped broker the deal quickly.

So United are NOT capable. I repeat NOT capable of doing things quickly. There were multiple factors that played into getting this done quickly. For every deal that United have done quickly, there are probably 5 deals that they have taken the entire window or have fallen through (Maguire, AWB, Bruno, and then you have Sancho and Haaland which didn't even materialize).

Romano expressed that we are long time admirers of Upamecano... so what? He's mentioned that about a lot of players. That does not mean we have put in a transfer fee to RB Leipzig. Showing interest and being admirers does not mean much. The United scouts look at thousands of players but we barely buy 1 or 2 each year.

Lastly, I did not say that we get him into the team in January but rather buy him now so that he starts with us next summer instead of waiting for this 36m clause to become active and then for all the major clubs to circle him like vultures. If the United board were smart enough, they would pay Leipzig 5m extra and let him play the entire season and that way, Leipzig gets more than what his release clause specifies.

AltiUn

We've done so many deals and you decided to go with one example of VDB. Do you know why we got the deal done so quickly?
1. VDB always wanted to leave for Real Madrid who had agreed terms with Ajax and VDB (Before Covid) and with Real facing financial issues, they retracted their statement. He was gonna be a fringe player anyway.
2. VDB had no other takers in the market and with the Eredivisie be called off, Ajax despite winning made a loss and they had to recoup that money and they've tried to do so with the transfers of (VDB, Sergino Dest and one other player)
3. Most important reason was that Van Der Sar is the CEO and with him being an ex-United player, he helped broker the deal quickly.

So United are NOT capable. I repeat NOT capable of doing things quickly. There were multiple factors that played into getting this done quickly. For every deal that United have done quickly, there are probably 5 deals that they have taken the entire window or have fallen through (Maguire, AWB, Bruno, and then you have Sancho and Haaland which didn't even materialize).

Romano expressed that we are long time admirers of Upamecano... so what? He's mentioned that about a lot of players. That does not mean we have put in a transfer fee to RB Leipzig. Showing interest and being admirers does not mean much. The United scouts look at thousands of players but we barely buy 1 or 2 each year.

Lastly, I did not say that we get him into the team in January but rather buy him now so that he starts with us next summer instead of waiting for this 36m clause to become active and then for all the major clubs to circle him like vultures. If the United board were smart enough, they would pay Leipzig 5m extra and let him play the entire season and that way, Leipzig gets more than what his release clause specifies.
There was almost no talk of Cavani, Pellistri or Diallo before we signed them either so there goes your entire argument. You just see what you want to see, if you want to continue arguing that point then that's your perogative but we very obviously can keep things under wraps when necessary. We've also proven capable of signing players quickly in the past too, we signed Darmian, Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger over the course of a weekend. Also Wan-Bissaka was signed in late June, hardly a signing that dragged on all summer. Negotiating for Maguire was important as Leicester initially wanted £90m for him* and we managed to get £10m off the price, we also ended up with a very good deal for Fernandes. I'm not defending our strategy, I've criticised it plenty, but you're talking shite.

Yeah I can read funnily enough, a concept that seems to escape you, I responded to that saying it was unlikely that Liepzig would be willing to negotiate a future transfer for their best player in the midst of a title race. Perhaps they will accept that but you started your whoile original point by getting all wound up over a scenario you'd made up in your head.

* https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...chester-united-harry-maguire-will-cost-least/

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I don't know; Pellestri and Amad took me by surprise

beingshe7don

There was almost no talk of Cavani, Pellistri or Diallo before we signed them either so there goes your entire argument. You just see what you want to see, if you want to continue arguing that point then that's your perogative but we very obviously can keep things under wraps when necessary. We've also proven capable of signing players quickly in the past too, we signed Darmian, Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger over the course of a weekend. Also Wan-Bissaka was signed in late June, hardly a signing that dragged on all summer. Negotiating for Maguire was important as Leicester initially wanted £90m for him* and we managed to get £10m off the price, we also ended up with a very good deal for Fernandes. I'm not defending our strategy, I've criticised it plenty, but you're talking shite.

Yeah I can read funnily enough, a concept that seems to escape you, I responded to that saying it was unlikely that Liepzig would be willing to negotiate a future transfer for their best player in the midst of a title race. Perhaps they will accept that but you started your whoile original point by getting all wound up over a scenario you'd made up in your head.

* https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...chester-united-harry-maguire-will-cost-least/
Dude, the way you put forward your points just demonstrates the lack of maturity. I could go ahead and try and disprove all the points you've made but it's not in my best interest to continue this pointless repartee. Have a good day!

beingshe7don

I don't know; Pellestri and Amad took me by surprise
I wouldn't necessarily consider Pellestri and Amad first-teamers as such. Amad and Pellestri have both got a handful of games under their belt playing against the big boys. It's highly unlikely they will play a huge part this season in terms of the league games. They've got a long way to go.

Inigo Montoya

I wouldn't necessarily consider Pellestri and Amad first-teamers as such. Amad and Pellestri have both got a handful of games under their belt playing against the big boys. It's highly unlikely they will play a huge part this season in terms of the league games. They've got a long way to go.
Not the point though. The assertion was that Utd can't do anything without a lot of publicity

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
That's not what you said though. You said we can't do deals quietly, no mention of whether first team.

beingshe7don

Not the point though. The assertion was that Utd can't do anything without a lot of publicity
That's not what you said though. You said we can't do deals quietly, no mention of whether first team.
Geez, you both sound like Ed's lawyers. I think it was implied since I was referring to a first-team player aka Dayot Upamecano thread. I don't think anyone of us care where the u23s or the reserve team finish up. It's the first team league results which matter.

Amad, Pellestri were both linked to us earlier 4 weeks before we finally sealed them, and yes the entire media didn't cover them but a select few did mention that they were on our radar. So regardless of them being first team players or not, it didn't come as a surprise to me. We got them pretty much on deadline day which in itself is a travesty. If these were targets all along, why weren't they sealed earlier in the window, it wasn't like they were being courted by any other clubs.

Once again you both fail to recognize the takeaway from the post and that was We take too long to do transfers or strategize and we should take a leaf out of our rival's book. If Liverpool are looking to get Ozan Kabak tied before the opening of the Jan window, why can't we practice the same? When was the last time the transfer window was opened and we've got a deal done within the first week?

AltiUn

Hirst reckons we're going for him next summer.

AltiUn

And the summer after. That’s how we do.
Thankfully due to his clause I think it'll only be one summer. Can't see him picking us over all the options he'll have available to him though.

Inigo Montoya

Thankfully due to his clause I think it'll only be one summer. Can't see him picking us over all the options he'll have available to him though.
In the current climate, options are disappearing fast

croadyman

Yeah would like to think it's a Thiago and Liverpool situation but suspect we aren't his top choice

Adnan

Talent Spotter
According to Guido Schafer the chief sports reporter at Leipziger Volkszeitung, Upamecano wants to move abroad when he leaves RB Leipzig and Man Utd have a great chance to sign him. Full story in this mornings edition of The Times newspaper for anyone that's interested.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Geez, you both sound like Ed's lawyers. I think it was implied since I was referring to a first-team player aka Dayot Upamecano thread. I don't think anyone of us care where the u23s or the reserve team finish up. It's the first team league results which matter.

Amad, Pellestri were both linked to us earlier 4 weeks before we finally sealed them, and yes the entire media didn't cover them but a select few did mention that they were on our radar. So regardless of them being first team players or not, it didn't come as a surprise to me. We got them pretty much on deadline day which in itself is a travesty. If these were targets all along, why weren't they sealed earlier in the window, it wasn't like they were being courted by any other clubs.

Once again you both fail to recognize the takeaway from the post and that was We take too long to do transfers or strategize and we should take a leaf out of our rival's book. If Liverpool are looking to get Ozan Kabak tied before the opening of the Jan window, why can't we practice the same? When was the last time the transfer window was opened and we've got a deal done within the first week?
We should care since those players will be supplying our first team. What a silly thing to say

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020

Speak for yourself. I’m always excited about those players.

Status
Not open for further replies.