Dayot Upamecano | Signs for Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.

caid

I've touched on this point before. The way teams like Leipzig are setup it puts alot of pressure on their CBs because not only are they expected to enforce the press in a high-line but also resist the press in a deeper defensive line.

The way we setup is understandable due to the short comings of our CBs which would expose them badly in such a high risk approach hence we have numerous players at fullback and midfield helping to keep defensive balance.
It looks an impossible job if the midfield isn't doing a lot more than RBL's were at that point. I wouldn't want to be trying to deal with Rashford 1v1 with 50 yards of space behind me. Thats not a competition anyones going to have a particularly high success rate with.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It looks an impossible job if the midfield isn't doing a lot more than RBL's were at that point. I wouldn't want to be trying to deal with Rashford 1v1 with 50 yards of space behind me. Thats not a competition anyones going to have a particularly high success rate with.
I think both Konate and Upamecano would handle Rashford in a foot race. But when Rashford came on RBL were throwing players forward in droves which left gaping holes at the back due to how high the back line was. So one pass easily penetrated the backline due to the defensive structure being non existent. Most players in that scenario would've been in on goal.

drmuji

I think both Konate and Upamecano would handle Rashford in a foot race. But when Rashford came on RBL were throwing players forward in droves which left gaping holes at the back due to how high the back line was. So one pass easily penetrated the backline due to the defensive structure being non existent. Most players in that scenario would've been in on goal.
That is so true. Rashford said similar things in his interview afterwards, that he could see so many gaps.
The thing I like about him is that he can actually dribble with the ball and in the first half, he was often the extra man in the midfield and even went up top at times. I dont expect many top teams to play the way RBL play (i-e) no cover for defenders and leaving them one on one with the strikers of the opposing team. I mean you could see with Rashford first goal, the whole team barring the keeper was inside our own half, which just shows how over committed they were.
The thing which I don't like about him is that he has so many mistakes in him. And most of all his attitude. He was almost jogging back after losing the ball like he was a striker who was just trying to increase the numbers in defense.
But it was only my second match which I saw of him. I bet, if I had only seen Lindelof one match against Tottenham, I would be making similar assumptions.

The Red Thinker

Wish people talked like this to the times we conceded goals when chasing games.
Upamecano was poor in Rashy’s first goal. He went too deep and missed the press. I call it as I see it. Upamecano is a superb roving defender, but yesterday he was rubbish.

19 year old Mason Greenwood, destroyed him with a deep run. He had a poor game. It happens. Still think he’s quality but doesn’t mean we have to insist there were other factors when for the most part it was himself.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Wish people talked like this to the times we conceded goals when chasing games.
Upamecano was poor in Rashy’s first goal. He went too deep and missed the press. I call it as I see it. Upamecano is a superb roving defender, but yesterday he was rubbish.

19 year old Mason Greenwood, destroyed him with a deep run. He had a poor game. It happens. Still think he’s quality but doesn’t mean we have to insist there were other factors when for the most part it was himself.
Upamecano was poor and due to his poor play we scored several goals. There's no excuse for his poor performance.

wolvored

Tbh it was the first time I have studied him and nothing stood out for me. Usually even if a team is poor they have players you think hes had a decent game even though the team have lost. I didnt see that.
We have Tuanzebe. Give him game time. Im sure we have other gems in the youth we could try out.

Obiorahking_

And that’s why you’re not a Champions League level defender.

What is it with people on here using the fact they play football as a means to validate their opinion. I see it quite a lot. Yes it gives you some slight understanding about how to play a position. By the difference between a Champions League quality player and a bottom half of the table quality player is massive let alone the difference between CL and semi-pro.
It’s the law of the game though. Great offense will always beat great defense so there’s truth to what he’s saying. Problem is that Upemecano wasn’t great and could have done a lot better for two of the goals.

Thiagoal

Tbh it was the first time I have studied him and nothing stood out for me. Usually even if a team is poor they have players you think hes had a decent game even though the team have lost. I didnt see that.
We have Tuanzebe. Give him game time. Im sure we have other gems in the youth we could try out.
We do actually! Mengi has all the tools to be a fantastic player

prateik

Anyone got a gif of him walking back after losing the ball at 50 mins.. we countered. he made no attempt to get back to defend.. Absolutely none.. shocking.

Imagine the outrage if Maguire or Lindelof did that.. and it would be entirely justified too..

Deery

Dreary
The disrespect for our defenders the guy literally let in 5 goals and you all want him to replace our defenders with two clean sheets in a row.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
He wasn’t so great everytime I watched him in previous games albeit I haven’t watched enough admittedly. Good but not outstandingly good or solid. He made mistakes at times and almost always got away with them everytime. But let’s not kid ourselves here, Vindelof is not world class either.

zenith

He was a disaster for RB. There were lapses in concentration, poor positioning on many occasions and he just seem to give up along with the rest of their team with 20 minutes remaining.

Hope we steer clear of the guy.

Kostov

In the first half I think he showed why he is rated so highly, powerful running with the ball on top of assured defending. Then in the second half Rashford showed up and destroyed him. :lol:

Suv666

Unbelievable I let the CAF brainwash me into thinking he's a top CB. Clearly he's not.

Its funny watching the muppets defend him, while every mistake Maguire or Lindelof make are forensically scrutinized.
Glad we didn't buy him.

Andersons Dietician

Being saying it for a few seasons but Konaté is the real CB gem of RB Leipzig.

Upamecamo clearly has a lot of talent and ability but he’s just not there mentally yet. He needs someone to hold his hand and guide him through. Rashford however was just electric last night and many defenders would have struggled to handle that.

I guess the question would be do we need a defender who still needs so much developing.

Crashoutcassius

If we are honest he is regularly looking shaky in these big games

That doesn't mean he isn't worth a go btw , but we shouldn't petend that he guarantees anything over Maguire he is slow but a far better defender and lindelof who is mysteriously effective in 8 out of 10 games

A-man

I've touched on this point before. The way teams like Leipzig are setup it puts alot of pressure on their CBs because not only are they expected to enforce the press in a high-line but also resist the press in a deeper defensive line.

The way we setup is understandable due to the short comings of our CBs which would expose them badly in such a high risk approach hence we have numerous players at fullback and midfield helping to keep defensive balance.
I think after this humbling lesson they might consider if they have overestimated their abilities, and introduce some changes. I don’t understand why they put Upamecano in the centre. It lets him shine on the ball, but he has poor awareness and positioning and the attackers have free runs behind and around him all the time. It’s the same weaknesses PSG took advantages of. Better to try Konate in the centre, or try another set-up.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Being saying it for a few seasons but Konaté is the real CB gem of RB Leipzig.

Upamecamo clearly has a lot of talent and ability but he’s just not there mentally yet. He needs someone to hold his hand and guide him through. Rashford however was just electric last night and many defenders would have struggled to handle that.

I guess the question would be do we need a defender who still needs so much developing.
Upamecano is a very good CB in the making but I've always maintained we needed a different type of CB due to having Axel and Mengi who are stylistically very similar to Upamecano.

If Konate can stay injury free and regain his 2018/19 form then he's a better CB from the evidence at hand IMO and i've been saying that since Hassenhuttl was Leipzig coach and worked wonders with a partnership of Konate and Orban which ended up being the best in the Buli.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think after this humbling lesson they might consider if they have overestimated their abilities, and introduce some changes. I don’t understand why they put Upamecano in the centre. It lets him shine on the ball, but he has poor awareness and positioning and the attackers have free runs behind and around him all the time. It’s the same weaknesses PSG took advantages of. Better to try Konate in the centre, or try another set-up.
Konate is the player Nagelsmann originally placed in the centre but he got injured soon after which meant Upamecano was moved centrally. I think now Konate is back he'll eventually be deployed back centrally once he gets his match sharpness back and Upamecano will be deployed as the RCB in a 3 with Halstenberg.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Similar to how we were against Spurs. When you have nothing in front of you stopping opponents coming at you, then it will always be difficult for a defender. Saying that I thought he played quite well, he bullied AWB off the ball second half, then made a good run forward before a poor pass gave us possession, he then struggled to get back into position, so is fitness an issue?
He does look like an immense player though, and I think he would be an upgrade on both Maguire and Lindelof, but whether we would go for him is debatable. I think we have seen the last of Jones and Rojo, and although I think Bailly is our best CB, I just think (sadly) that his injury issues decree that we will have to let him go. We have Tuanzebe and Mengi coming through, and with Fish and Bernard both looking good, albeit in U23'S matches, do we really need another CB?

James Peril

Some really poor verdicts and posts after the match, it really shows the lack of understanding of the game. Not that I am some tactical mastermind, but come on. To put it on the edge; from the 75th minute they could have had a hybrid monster of Baresi, Cannavaro, van Dijk and Vidic at the back and still concede five goals. The team played with a silly high line, just like Roma did against Liverpool a few years ago, and gave us 60 yards to exploit. Case in point, Rashford was played through from his own fecking half at 1-0 to seal the deal. How often do you see a possible offside decision ruled out because the attacking player is starting in his own half? Perhaps at 2-0 in the 94th minute in a cup game, not 15 minutes from time at 1-0.

The five goals at the back had little to do with any individual player, but their chosen tactic as they needed a goal. If Maguire or Lindelöf played for Leipzig the last 15 minutes, it’s not like we would see anything else. Rate Upamecano based on the first 75 minutes, not on the last 15 minutes of collective suicide put in place by the manager. No defender likes or wants to set the line in the middle of the pitch, just like none of our attackers want to play 75 minutes without an attacking combination.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
How does this random footballer have such a fan club on here?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Because we were linked with him and people read a few transfer rumours I expect, that makes him better than our players obviously. Just see the posts asking to break the bank for him :lol:

for all the praise he gets for on the ball, the way he run forward with it yesterday a few times and just give it away leaving himself miles out of position was amazing. Park football.

Classical Mechanic

Some really poor verdicts and posts after the match, it really shows the lack of understanding of the game. Not that I am some tactical mastermind, but come on. To put it on the edge; from the 75th minute they could have had a hybrid monster of Baresi, Cannavaro, van Dijk and Vidic at the back and still concede five goals. The team played with a silly high line, just like Roma did against Liverpool a few years ago, and gave us 60 yards to exploit. Case in point, Rashford was played through from his own fecking half at 1-0 to seal the deal. How often do you see a possible offside decision ruled out because the attacking player is starting in his own half? Perhaps at 2-0 in the 94th minute in a cup game, not 15 minutes from time at 1-0.

The five goals at the back had little to do with any individual player, but their chosen tactic as they needed a goal. If Maguire or Lindelöf played for Leipzig the last 15 minutes, it’s not like we would see anything else. Rate Upamecano based on the first 75 minutes, not on the last 15 minutes of collective suicide put in place by the manager. No defender likes or wants to set the line in the middle of the pitch, just like none of our attackers want to play 75 minutes without an attacking combination.
I think you're right - to a point. Their backline is exposed because of the way they play but he was at fault for the first goal, outwitted and surprisingly out-muscled by Greenwood. He also lost a 50/50 with Rashford for one goal and was tackled as nearly the last man for the Cavani offside goal. These are examples of poor play not contingent on limitations of Leipzig's system. On his big run forward he also passed the ball to us and we broke but messed it up, whilst he couldn't get back. Some defenders can defend a highline though, VVD is probably the best about at it. City use Kyle Walker to bail them out when their highline gets exposed. Upamecano, whilst quick in bursts, seems to lack the agility of those two players and looks to gas easily because of his sheer size.

I think Upamecano would look a lot better in our system last night because he's very strong in the penalty box, can step out and can pass well. Personally I'd still be interested in signing him but I'm not convinced he's the guy to pair with Maguire to allow us to play with a high line.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He's not random. He had a terrible game, it happens to the best of them. The problem is that the caftards are going 180° on him, from ridiculious praise to OTT criticism.
He waste terrible last night but I think they just collapsed when Sabitzer came on.

gormless

I thought he was good up until the last 20 minutes. Comfortable on the ball, good defender.
The whole team fell apart, not just him, I would still be delighted if we signed him. He’s young. It’s easy to forget how poor Rio was for us at times in his early years.

Classical Mechanic

but I think they just collapsed when Sabitzer came on.
That was quite amusing too, the English commentators were warning us of his talent whilst he arranged his hair like a shampoo model on the sidelines wating to come on. His performance wasn't as lovely as his hair, regrettably for Leipzig.

Lassitude42

He's been highly rated for years on Football Manager and FIFA. Fans of many clubs speak positively about him online, fantasize about signing him. This creates a narrative that he is awesome.

Unfortunately the reality is that very few of the same fans have seen him play regularly. They will protest otherwise, of course.

Same is true of De Ligt. Massively overhyped.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I thought he was good up until the last 20 minutes. Comfortable on the ball, good defender.
The whole team fell apart, not just him, I would still be delighted if we signed him. He’s young. It’s easy to forget how poor Rio was for us at times in his early years.
Rio's West Ham got beaten 7-1 at OT before he moved to Leeds. He learned to be a good defender out of the limelight and I think Upamecano needs to stay at RB for at least another season.

Jaap Stam was turned inside out by Anelka and we all wondered what the hell we bought...turned out pretty well.

He'll be good with time but I have to say that Konate looked better

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He's been highly rated for years on Football Manager and FIFA. Fans of many clubs speak positively about him online, fantasize about signing him. This creates a narrative that he is awesome.

Unfortunately the reality is that very few of the same fans have seen him play regularly. They will protest otherwise, of course.

Same is true of De Ligt. Massively overhyped.
Both are still really young mate.

Dan_F

It is possible that a defender can be good and have a bad game. Most goals conceded can be pinpointed to a defensive “error” and that seems to be the way things are now. Sometimes you just have to say the attack was too good, especially at the end of the game, when Leipzig were pushed up trying to score.

That said, Tuanzebe wouldn’t have made those errors :cool:

SuperiorXI

It's 1 game and even in this one he shown he has some qualities, unfair to chuck him in the bin after 1 game.

Their defence were being left exposed as the rest of their team practically camped in our half.

A-man

I’m sorry but I don’t rate a CB’s performance in a game from just parts of it. We can find all sorts of excuses for him and I agree that the whole setup and defence was poor , but his pass in to the feet of Bruno, as last man, was not because it was everybody else’s fault, it was his. He was also dribbled for one goal. It can happen but it is not everybody else’s fault, it’s his. Even if we only look at the first 75 minutes he still wasnt too impressive. He missed Greenwood’s run for the first goal. He also lost the ball when he tried to dribble and didn’t run home at all.

I think Upamecano would look a lot better in our system last night because he's very strong in the penalty box, can step out and can pass well. Personally I'd still be interested in signing him but I'm not convinced he's the guy to pair with Maguire to allow us to play with a high line.
The best features of our back line in the last games have been concentration, positioning and working as a unit, imo. Neither of those attributes could be seen in Leipzig’s back line yesterday. He has the physics attributes plus the ball handling, but the rest?

First half he looked world class, as did Konate. Second half Konate started stronger before they both fell to pieces and imploded.

Status
Not open for further replies.