Dayot Upamecano | Signs for Bayern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Okay that's fine. Not going to argue over whether he was atrocious or bad or whatever. I'll still stand by what I said which is it's ludicrous to let one game have a heavy bearing on whether you sign or don't sign a player.
Point is he looked awful against us both home and away. Konate is the better defender

He is young and he could develop into a great defender but he needs a lot of work and extra before he can be considered a starter for a club with high expectations. It’s fine at RB but Chuck him into the cauldron that is a Man Utd and it could destroy his confidence

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He was absolutely dreadful against us in that first game. No point trying to deny that. One of the worst CB performances against us at that level that I've seen in a long time, and worse than anything I've ever seen from Maguire (just).

That being said, it was just one game. I've probably only ever seen him a handful of times.

Fat_Damon

He really wasn’t good against us in the UCL this season.
Last season he was truly impressive though. Carried Leipzig to the UCL semis as their best player when Werner was gone and even before that.
Living in Germany and following the Bundesliga, I saw him as CB with world class potential after last season. He stalled a little bit this year, but after what I’ve seen from him at his age, I would take him over Lindelof, Bailly and Konate any time...

yo@Kirk

Konate has a terrible injury history with muscle problems in the last 2 seasons. He had 6 starts and 2 sub appearances out of 34 Bundesliga matches in 2019/20. He has 4 starts and 2 sub appearances out of 12 Bundesliga matches in 2020/21. And he plays right center back in a back 4.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Point is he looked awful against us both home and away. Konate is the better defender

He is young and he could develop into a great defender but he needs a lot of work and extra before he can be considered a starter for a club with high expectations. It’s fine at RB but Chuck him into the cauldron that is a Man Utd and it could destroy his confidence
Can't be true.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Just so everyone understands my stance on this. I'm not sure if Dayot is good enough to take us to the next level. But we've had this guy on our radar for the best part of a decade. If one or two games changes years of scouting, that is poor form from us. I don't think we should be making any signing or not, based on a couple games against us.

flappyjay

Around the same level as Bailly but without the injury issues. I would take him for the cheap price he will cost in the summer. Let's be honest how many great cb's are out there. Even someone like varane looks like a train wreck. Get upamecano and a great cdm and we will have upgraded our defense.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Is a class player in the making, a couple of subpar performances don't change that. Would absolutely love to see us bringing him in.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Nemanja Vidic was also shit.

I saw him get destroyed by Fernando Torres once, proper turned him inside out and got a red card too! awful. Do not want.

that's how it works right?

croadyman

Around the same level as Bailly but without the injury issues. I would take him for the cheap price he will cost in the summer. Let's be honest how many great cb's are out there. Even someone like varane looks like a train wreck. Get upamecano and a great cdm and we will have upgraded our defense.
Despite people like Vickery saying that Caicedo is more of a box to box midfielder I still feel that he has the attributes to play as a CDM as well, in regards to a CB I still think we might wait until the summer and try to sign either Kounde or Konate but has been very little links to either in regards to us.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If the report is true, I wonder who our targets are. Konate, Badiashile, Torres?
I doubt Badiashile is someone that can come straight into the first 11. He's someone that needs to develop further. But if we do go the developmental route then for me i'd like to see us have a serious look at the young Dutch CB at Lille (Sven Botman) who is 20.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I wonder what was the report on Maguire's mobility. So which CB are we going to target next summer?

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Disappointed by this, he'll go to Bayern and become a perfect replacement for Boateng. Him and Sule could be a great partnership (depends on Sule's return to form).

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Think the scouts are probably spot on there. Shame but it’s important we get the right CB, not another substandard/limited one.
True that. Surprisingly it comes from someone who actually signed Maguire.

Tallis

I like the fact that we are doing our home work and evaluating and not just rushing to sign the most hyped player. We seem to be getting some things right with transfers - signing promising academy / your players, not being held hostage for ridiculous wages, looking for the right attitude in addition to skill.

croadyman

Think the scouts are probably spot on there. Shame but it’s important we get the right CB, not another substandard/limited one.
Does make me laugh we are saying that when you look at the current lack of speed in our current first choice CB's

United58

Disappointed by this, he'll go to Bayern and become a perfect replacement for Boateng. Him and Sule could be a great partnership (depends on Sule's return to form).
Think you could be right; from what I've seen of him, Sule's an incredibly intelligent player, but knee injuries can potentially ruin a player. For his sake, I hope he gets back to how he was pre-injury

troylocker

Has looked rock solid in the first half versus Dortmund and Haaland. Dortmund are struggling and has created nothing.

MattofManchester

I get the feeling Leipzig will sell with absolutely no worries at all, with Gvardiol joining, who's getting billed up quite seriously.

A-man

Has looked rock solid in the first half versus Dortmund and Haaland. Dortmund are struggling and has created nothing.
I think both Dortmund’s first and third goal summarise his weaknesses.
The first he push forward without winning the ball and there is no one to cover the flank.
The third, Haaland run in behind him and he has no clue.

troylocker

The first he push forward without winning the ball and there is no one to cover the flank.
Yup! Jinxed him hard there. I think he is a great talent, but he still has a lot to learn.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think that's a bit harsh. I mean okay, committing to a challenge without winning the ball always looks bad, but in the situation that led to the first goal Haaland has two other players on him, who were supposed to keep tracking him, but switch off for a second after he passes it to Reus and Upamecano also has Orban behind him as cover. Going for that decisive challenge is what a modern defender is supposed to do.

Lots of things went wrong here: Halstenberg pressuring Haaland from an angle that allowed the latter to keep his body between the ball and his marker. But also Sabitzer reacting half a second too late, so Haaland could successfully make that turn and pass it to Reus.

On the third you have Reus between the lines without sufficient pressure. That fact alone means things have gone wrong already elsewhere.

Reus can either play it to the right of Upamecano (like he did) or he can play it to the left of him, or he can try to chip it behind, if Upamecano commits onto him. It's not a situation you should be in as a CB, especially not against Haaland, who absolutely lives for this type of run behind.

A-man

I think that's a bit harsh. I mean okay, committing to a challenge without winning the ball always looks bad, but in the situation that led to the first goal Haaland has two other players on him, who were supposed to keep tracking him, but switch off for a second after he passes it to Reus and Upamecano also has Orban behind him as cover. Going for that decisive challenge is what a modern defender is supposed to do.

Lots of things went wrong here: Halstenberg pressuring Haaland from an angle that allowed the latter to keep his body between the ball and his marker. But also Sabitzer reacting half a second too late, so Haaland could successfully make that turn and pass it to Reus.

On the third you have Reus between the lines without sufficient pressure. That fact alone means things have gone wrong already elsewhere.

Reus can either play it to the right of Upamecano (like he did) or he can play it to the left of him, or he can try to chip it behind, if Upamecano commits onto him. It's not a situation you should be in as a CB, especially not against Haaland, who absolutely lives for this type of run behind.
I didn’t say he was entirely alone to blame for those goals, just that it showed two of his weaknesses. It’s my personal opinion of course.

When I have watched Leipzig I think he has had the same issues many times.

1. He makes the decision to push forward and attack the ball holder without a good evaluation of the situation. He doesn’t win the ball and the area around and behind him has opened up and is unprotected. It’s good with a ball attacking CB, but he must be good at making the decision when to attack and when to stay. Imo Upamecano is not good at making that decision.
2. Upamecano has poor awareness of what happens behind him and attackers often get a free run behind him. Haaland’s goal was not the first goal conceded where someone has run in behind his back.

In the third goal he is also a victim of Leipzig somewhat naive defence where a CB often ends up in unnecessary 1v1 situation.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I didn’t say he was entirely alone to blame for those goals, just that it showed two of his weaknesses. It’s my personal opinion of course.

When I have watched Leipzig I think he has had the same issues many times.

1. He makes the decision to push forward and attack the ball holder without a good evaluation of the situation. He doesn’t win the ball and the area around and behind him has opened up and is unprotected. It’s good with a ball attacking CB, but he must be good at making the decision when to attack and when to stay. Imo Upamecano is not good at making that decision.
2. Upamecano has poor awareness of what happens behind him and attackers often get a free run behind him. Haaland’s goal was not the first goal conceded where someone has run in behind his back.

In the third goal he is also a victim of Leipzig somewhat naive defence where a CB often ends up in unnecessary 1v1 situation.
I think in general it's fair to say that he has issues with concentration or decision making. But I think people are often too eager to diagnose these things in situations involving young defenders. Like in the first scene his team mates have allowed the opposition to create an overload against him. He opted for the risky play and it didn't work, but even if he stays passive Reus and Haaland would have played out a 2v1 against him and Sancho would have been forgotten on the far side.

Status
Not open for further replies.