DAZN wants to buy all the EFL rights and show all 3PM games live

Moby

Dick
It's a decent app, I use it to watch Premier League here but then instead of a HT show you end up getting a random Adama Traore interview

RedCurry

It's a decent app, I use it to watch Premier League here but then instead of a HT show you end up getting a random Adama Traore interview
Accurate. Maybe it’s just me, but during Europa games half time, my Amazon FireStick hangs and I need to restart the whole thing. FuboTV experience is a lot better but they are also much more expensive.

strandty

The death of the football pyramid in England.
Enough people know how to stream 3pm games on IPTV if needed already. They've allowed more games to be streamed in the UK through iFollow (Tuesday nights, all games during international breaks) and gates (at Grimsby anyway when I worked there) weren't affected much, if at all.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
The death of the football pyramid in England.
the death of civilisation as we know it, imo. i’ve got a mate who spends most of his time volunteering and he says he only does it because 3pm games aren’t televised. he says the moment they are televised he’ll give up all the philanthropy and spend his time racially abusing players on twitter instead.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I do think the 3pm blackout needs some further examination. In this era bringing more eyes and money to the lower leagues, is only going to help player development I think. And improve the survivability of small clubs financially. But the 3pm blackout is there for a reason too and I think English football has to move cautiously in reviewing such a step change.

It always struck me as ridiculous that as a football fan, I can watch more English football living here in America, than I ever could back home. But is this going to have a deleterious impact on attendances? That’s the major concern. Perhaps some sort of a trial is in order, because there’s an argument to be made that it can help younger generations connect with their local clubs better.

Interested to see the take on this forum.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
So to summarise - big club fans can't understand why there's a 3pm blackout.
People who have experience of lower league clubs can.

Let's save 1,000 posts on the subject and understand there's a difference between the viewpoints :drool:

TheRedHearted

the death of civilisation as we know it, imo. i’ve got a mate who spends most of his time volunteering and he says he only does it because 3pm games aren’t televised. he says the moment they are televised he’ll give up all the philanthropy and spend his time racially abusing players on twitter instead.
To add on to this, my neighbor, wonderful lady, always a strong member of the ex community. She rescues animals, she donates so much money and also is in process of a massive vertical farming project.. but, she’s admitted if the 3pm games are televised, she would give to a life of drugs, gambling, and possibly murder.
Nice lady tho!

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
This opens the door for all PL games being televised or the PL starting their own Netflix style offering

The rights for the PL would sky rocket

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...

Let's save 1,000 posts on the subject and understand there's a difference between the viewpoints :drool:
genuine question here- do all of the lower league games start on Saturday 3PM? What exactly are you protecting?

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
genuine question here- do all of the lower league games start on Saturday 3PM? What exactly are you protecting?
It’s a govt directive to help encourage people to watch lower league games at the stadium. By not televising 3pm games fans can go and watch their local teams at the grounds at say a 12:45 kick off instead of fecking it off for a PL game.

So to do that they move the PL games to 3pm

atkar83

DAZN in Canada had Premier League, Champions/Europa League, NFL Sunday ticket and a few smaller sports. I was more than happy to pay $20/month for it. When I turned on DAZN to watch the first United game this season, I found they didn't have it, did more research, and a competitor called fuboTV bought the rights to Premier League and charged $20/month. So now if I wanted to watch PL and CL/UL football, I had to pay $40/month. Its at that point I started looking into eyepeeteevee. I've had enough. All this is on top of paying for Netflix, Prime, D+ etc. while they keep losing content and raising prices.

Bertie Wooster

:lol:

CallyRed

DAZN now have a channel on SKY. Can't have been doing too well with the streaming subscriptions

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

NICanRed

I have written a few times here about the poor service from DAZN in Canada. If you like buffering, repeated "technical difficulties" and advertising - this is the streamer for you.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
I have written a few times here about the poor service from DAZN in Canada. If you like buffering, repeated "technical difficulties" and advertising - this is the streamer for you.
better than having to watch maguire turd it up in flawless 4k.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
DAZN in Canada had Premier League, Champions/Europa League, NFL Sunday ticket and a few smaller sports. I was more than happy to pay $20/month for it. When I turned on DAZN to watch the first United game this season, I found they didn't have it, did more research, and a competitor called fuboTV bought the rights to Premier League and charged $20/month. So now if I wanted to watch PL and CL/UL football, I had to pay $40/month. Its at that point I started looking into eyepeeteevee. I've had enough. All this is on top of paying for Netflix, Prime, D+ etc. while they keep losing content and raising prices.
That's how it is in the UK too. Most of the (non 3pm kick off) PL is on Sky Sports, along with selected Carabao Cup games. The remainder of the PL is on BT Sport (plus a 2 or 3 weeks a season Amazon Prime get a bunch of games). BT also has all the CL and EL games.

Three subscriptions, and you still don't get every PL game. A reasonable deal if you're a top 6 club supporter. Not so much if you're anyone else.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Dazn was great when they had it all in Canada. Just having CL/Europa League and then some random cups and fubo has the prem now. Still nice to be able to watch every single game from every club, full replays when you want and all that.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Here in canada dazone only has CL,
Europa and League cup games.

Fubo has all the PL games.

Cable has FA Cup games.

All games cost me over 300 dollars.

stw2022

Only in this country would football rights still be sold and regulated in the same way it was 30 years ago. Personally I think all this music television might still corrupt the youth too

It's fairly insulting to the lower league fans to assume they're sufficiently fairweather to sack off their team to watch Brentford vs Villa

Chief123

I use a Combo of Fubo TV (£30 a year) and BT Sport (£35 a year). £65 a year for all the meaningful games (prem and europa/UCL). Better to get it via a discord pool than get it individually. It’s same thing but ridiculously cheaper.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I made this discovery at the beginning of the season. Fubo has been fine but having to pay for two streaming services to get PL and CL is annoying. DAZN dropped the ball losing the rights to PL football.

Their coverage and streams are better than Fubo imo. Allows you to see highlights of the game at the bottom and jump to them during the game.

SAF is the GOAT

Personally I'm paying and.using "the start up show" app and I have plenty of channels that broadcast united in any competition

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
I do think the 3pm blackout needs some further examination. In this era bringing more eyes and money to the lower leagues, is only going to help player development I think. And improve the survivability of small clubs financially. But the 3pm blackout is there for a reason too and I think English football has to move cautiously in reviewing such a step change.

It always struck me as ridiculous that as a football fan, I can watch more English football living here in America, than I ever could back home. But is this going to have a deleterious impact on attendances? That’s the major concern. Perhaps some sort of a trial is in order, because there’s an argument to be made that it can help younger generations connect with their local clubs better.

Interested to see the take on this forum.
That is not a concern. The Blackout is ridiculous outdated nonsense and it should be fairly obvious by now that televised games do not affect attendances.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

As someone who actively follows a lower league club also, I can quite happily say that showing 3pm games will probably hit a small percentage of ticket sales, but the shortfall will easily be made up by the extra TV revenue the clubs would get.

The match going folk go there to support their team and for the atmosphere, for most that they can watch the game on TV instead will mean little.

For the clubs however, being shown on TV will being extra revenue above what they are getting currently, greater exposure and who knows more supporters moving forward.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
As someone who actively follows a lower league club also, I can quite happily say that showing 3pm games will probably hit a small percentage of ticket sales, but the shortfall will easily be made up by the extra TV revenue the clubs would get.

The match going folk go there to support their team and for the atmosphere, for most that they can watch the game on TV instead will mean little.

For the clubs however, being shown on TV will being extra revenue above what they are getting currently, greater exposure and who knows more supporters moving forward.
Agree with this.

I don't really 'support' a lower league club per se but there's 3 I go and watch on a semi regular basis and if I had the choice between that or staying at home to watch Palace vs Wolves (or almost any non Chelsea game for that matter) it's a no contest in favour of still attending those games.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Agree with this.

I don't really 'support' a lower league club per se but there's 3 I go and watch on a semi regular basis and if I had the choice between that or staying at home to watch Palace vs Wolves (or almost any non Chelsea game for that matter) it's a no contest in favour of still attending those games.
The point is that the hardcore will go to games as usual.
It's the huge floating voter fair weather crew that will stay at home if there's a more appealing prem game for cheaper on. Which chances are there will be.

We already see it for champions league stuff.

I'm comfy if they move to no blackout though. My own lower league club chairman is massively in favour of it!

They need to get the price point right though, as at the moment lower league games are £10 a go! That's appalling value when my Now TV is £20 a month!

marktan

This is a growing horrible idea - there's a reason why England has the only league in the world where the fourth tier has strong attendances. Hell even teams many leagues below that get regular attendances.

Clubs should only agree to this if they're willing to let that die.

stw2022

This is a growing horrible idea - there's a reason why England has the only league in the world where the fourth tier has strong attendances. Hell even teams many leagues below that get regular attendances.

Clubs should only agree to this if they're willing to let that die.
Yeah it's because they support those teams. You don't think much of the dedication that fans have to their club, do you?

Lifelong Southend United fan...oh, Newcastle are on the telly? Howay the lads!

stw2022

I think there's some naivety about what this'll mean. They're not going to start moving all games back to 3pm Saturday. Aside from the blackout, it's a very commercially unattractive time slot for a TV game. That's why they moved the FA Cup final from that slot.

The big games and big teams in most circumstances won't play 3pm still, even if this ever comes to fruition. It'll be the largely 'unattractive' games and teams who in the majority will be in this slot, further mitigating any hypothetical impact on lower league attendance