DDG’s actual ‘worth’

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Exactly. We had a disastrous period from 1999 to 2005 until VDS arrived:

1996: Raimond van der Gouw 60 apps. Generally a back up for Schmeichel
1999: Signed Bosnich. 35 apps
????: Nick Culkin, 1 app
1999: Massimo "The Blind Venetian" Taibi. 4 apps after a woeful blunder.
2000: Paul Rachubka. 1 apps.
2000: Fabien Barthez joined for 7.5 million pounds. Sometimes a comedy goalkeeper but decent return of 139 appearances.
2001: Andy Goram loaned from Motherwell. 2 apps.
2001: Roy Carroll. :nervous: played 72 times for us.
2002: Ricardo. 5 apps.
2003: Tim Howard. He was okay, played 77 times for us and eventually replaced by the great VDS.

That was 7 difficult years!

DDG please stay with us for a long long time :angel:
Carroll also played a lot for us during 04/05 season. Howard started off great but soon proved himself to be a bit of liability whilst Carroll was always an average keeper.

People who think DDG would easy to replace are in for a shock. Romero is very much overrated due to the Europa run, I don't think he would cut the mustard if he has to play the amount of games DDG plays. Just look at other clubs - Pool have struggled with keepers for ages with Reina perhaps being the only exception and depending on how one rates Cech at Arsenal, you could argue that they have struggled to replace Seaman too.

Markets for established keeper is always thin. Only realistic option is to invest in a young keeper again (like we did with DDG), bargains like VDS are akin to lottery.

meamth

Carroll also played a lot for us during 04/05 season. Howard started off great but soon proved himself to be a bit of liability whilst Carroll was always an average keeper.

People who think DDG would easy to replace are in for a shock. Romero is very much overrated due to the Europa run, I don't think he would cut the mustard if he has to play the amount of games DDG plays. Just look at other clubs - Pool have struggled with keepers for ages with Reina perhaps being the only exception and depending on how one rates Cech at Arsenal, you could argue that they have struggled to replace Seaman too.

Markets for established keeper is always thin. Only realistic option is to invest in a young keeper again (like we did with DDG), bargains like VDS are akin to lottery.
Exactly, on top of that VDS was exceptional because of that invincible defense.

Man, if we don't sign Donnarumma I would never put any value to DDG even though i did on top of this discussion. :houllier:

Macca7

To me he is worth almost Neymar fee's.... Undoubdtedly the best in the world in his position, and his position is possibly the hardest to get a worthy replacement. We should do everything in our power to keep him, if not demand £100m+ and a top player from the buying club.

Marcky411

2-3x more goals? No chance.

In my opinion having him over Romero is probably worth 5-8 pts over the season.
Fully agree, he too has let in a couple howlers trying to save everything with his feet when his hands would've got the job done, or his reluctance to come off his line.
I love DDG and wouldn't want him to leave but if reports are true about the wages I would let him go for the correct fee. Under Moyes and LvG we really needed him but under Jose our defence is getting to the stage that the importance of DDG has less influence on the outcome of the games than before.

AkaAkuma

It's not a certainty that we'd get his market value if we sold him, so any potential lose there would probably negate the increase the in wages if he were to renew instead.

So while his new wage seems high, it's probably a safe business decision.

Id also imagine it would encourage Pogba, Lukaku and Martial to perform better to meet their expected wage increases.

joedirt87

He's worth more then anything United would get for selling him. If they had to sell him I would wanted as much as possible plus Keylor Navas from Madrid. I don't see the point in moving on from David and not getting Navas in return, because every other club with a quality keeper would ask huge sums.

ajf75

He's worth more then anything United would get for selling him. If they had to sell him I would wanted as much as possible plus Keylor Navas from Madrid. I don't see the point in moving on from David and not getting Navas in return, because every other club with a quality keeper would ask huge sums.
Look, the only way to conclusively prove something's worth is to sell it on the open market to see what you get! That's the worth. Ipso facto. It is impossible for the worth to be different to what you get for it! This is the kind of muddled thinking that leads people to come back from DFS claiming that they bought a sofa for £200 which is actually "worth" £400. Rubbish!! Try selling it straight away for £400 while DFS are selling to for £200 and see how far you get.

Decomposing In Paris

De Gea is easily one of best goalkeeper in the generation. Without him, we'd concede 2/3 x goals more with any obtainable goalkeeper like Courtois.
2 x 0 = 0
3 x 0 = 0

There are quite a lot of matches we'd still be keeping clean sheets then. Otherwise, this is a hopeless exaggeration. Still, I hope we make him the best-paid goalkeeper in the world by some distance, and sign him on a 6-year contract.

AndyJ1985

We don't need to sell to buy, so unless it's an insane offer of £200m or more I see no point in selling. The money does our team no good whereas De Gea improves is a great deal.

barney89

Look, the only way to conclusively prove something's worth is to sell it on the open market to see what you get! That's the worth. Ipso facto. It is impossible for the worth to be different to what you get for it! This is the kind of muddled thinking that leads people to come back from DFS claiming that they bought a sofa for £200 which is actually "worth" £400. Rubbish!! Try selling it straight away for £400 while DFS are selling to for £200 and see how far you get.
I think you're missing the point joedirt is trying to make here. Yes, it is said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. However, De Gea is worth a figure to United, which could potentially be worked out by calculating the points we gain from having him in goal, our league and cup finishing positions and the prize money that comes with those, as well as other income such as merchandise etc. It may or may not be possible to work out due the huge number of variables involved, but the point is he is worth a lot to United, and what he is worth to United is probably more than what we would get from selling him.

VanGaalEra

Club doesn't need the money, he's here for 2.5 years still. Unless he throws a strop, you don't sell. If he does throw a strop, bidding starts at 150M.

laughtersassassin

I think his worth is based off how much a suitable replacement would cost.

To me the only candidate i would consider is Oblak and he may not want to join. In the case he did he would cost his 80 million euro buy out clause. De Gea is a substantial amount better than Oblak so i would say i personally could only justify losing De Gea if we made 50+ million more than we where buying oblak for. SO basicallky 130 mil- 160 mil would be acceptable on the assumption we get Oblak.

If Oblak is impossible to get then his price increases for me as a replacement would only be half as good. This would basically result in him being priceless and Real wouldn't cough up the money required to make it worth our while in my view.

Dansk

There's no realistic amount of money that'll do us more good than having DDG. Even if we're extremely optimistic and pretend someone'll pay £100m for a goalie (which sounds improbable even in today's crazy market), it would be a loss for the club. He should only be sold if there's no chance of getting him to stay. Whatever high fee we might get for him will also be mitigated by the fact that any club with a good goalkeeper will charge us both the United Premium and the Desperate Buyer markup. If we could convince anyone who's close to DDG's level to come here, we'd probably have to spend as much as we got for Dave, and there'll be nobody as good as him for sale.

Danish Wizard

If one newspaper the other day priced Jordan Pickford to 50/55 mio pounds, I would say David de Gea obviously would be a lot more expensive.
If he leaves, we will have to pay a massive fee to get a new keeper, as other clubs know we have the money. I would say a fair price for David de Gea would be around 80-90 mio pounds. He is not going to be sold for more than 100 mio pounds, I can't see any club spend that amount of money on a goalie.

Mindhunter

I think his worth is based off how much a suitable replacement would cost.

To me the only candidate i would consider is Oblak and he may not want to join. In the case he did he would cost his 80 million euro buy out clause. De Gea is a substantial amount better than Oblak so i would say i personally could only justify losing De Gea if we made 50+ million more than we where buying oblak for. SO basicallky 130 mil- 160 mil would be acceptable on the assumption we get Oblak.

If Oblak is impossible to get then his price increases for me as a replacement would only be half as good. This would basically result in him being priceless and Real wouldn't cough up the money required to make it worth our while in my view.
Swap the best keeper in the world for Oblak and a player at Laporte’s level? No, thank you.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
So what you're saying is that Mourinho only started Romero because he wanted to be nice???
Learn to read. I haven't said that at all. I'm saying it was a combination of trust and of sticking with the one who had started every EL game up to that point and thus "deserved" the final.

Nikelesh Reddy

If Laportes worth almost 60 million,and if Lukakus worth 75 million,then David should be worth at least a 100 million quid...

cyril C

Fully agree, he too has let in a couple howlers trying to save everything with his feet when his hands would've got the job done, or his reluctance to come off his line.
I love DDG and wouldn't want him to leave but if reports are true about the wages I would let him go for the correct fee. Under Moyes and LvG we really needed him but under Jose our defence is getting to the stage that the importance of DDG has less influence on the outcome of the games than before.
Assuming DDG doesn't push for a move and the demanded fee of 350K is true, why do you want to sell him even if a 100m offer is received?

Is the club needing this 100m in order to buy another player or fund a new stadium etc? If we are not in financial trouble, what is the purpose of selling DDG?

First of all it doesn't mean you must pay him 350K, the world is down to negotiation. Let's say we offer him 250K basic + 50K top 4 finish + 30K EPL/CL champion + 20K cup/others. Can we not afford this fee for someone who will definitely deliver us a 7-8 points a season?

Secondly are you keen to win CL and other cup competition? A good keeper may be OK for EPL league format, but a great keeper makes a lot of difference in cup competition compared with a good keeper.

While it may sound stupid to pay 100m for a keeper, but it makes sense to pay a few million extra to keep one. In fact, it makes business and football in keeping DDG compared with Messi or CR, who are on the wrong side of age group.

Todd

De Gea is a world class goalkeeper, that is without question.

That doesn't change the reality that the position of GK is the least 'valuable' on the field.

I am also of the opinion that the difference between a world class goalkeeper and a very good goalkeeper is smaller than the difference between world class and very good at pretty much any other position on the field.

Sansa Stark

Supports
Real Madrid
David De Gea is no doubt a world class player he earned his value, I couldn't agree with the one who commented that GK is the least valuable in field, but when you prove that being GK has a vital role, no doubt your also earning your name and value

ajf75

I think you're missing the point joedirt is trying to make here. Yes, it is said that something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. However, De Gea is worth a figure to United, which could potentially be worked out by calculating the points we gain from having him in goal, our league and cup finishing positions and the prize money that comes with those, as well as other income such as merchandise etc. It may or may not be possible to work out due the huge number of variables involved, but the point is he is worth a lot to United, and what he is worth to United is probably more than what we would get from selling him.
Yes, well, you should indeed try to estimate the worth to give you an idea of what offer to accept, but in the end - if you sell - the point at which the deal is done is when you discover whether you were right in your estimate or not. If you decide to sell him for £10m - that’s what he was worth to you. Else, you would not have sold.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I wouldn't put a fee on him. Let's just get his contract extended

DreamIsh

Supports
Liverpool
£90million.

Without him who knows where you'd be.

ghagua

De Gea is priceless. There is no keeper who can replace him and provide the same performance, not even Neuer.

barney89

Yes, well, you should indeed try to estimate the worth to give you an idea of what offer to accept, but in the end - if you sell - the point at which the deal is done is when you discover whether you were right in your estimate or not. If you decide to sell him for £10m - that’s what he was worth to you. Else, you would not have sold.
Yes, but when you say "the only way to conclusively prove something's worth is to sell it on the open market to see what you get!", it's not really the case is it? What if Madrid offered us £80m and we refused? Clearly we'd be thinking he is worth more than that, yet £80m is the result of 'seeing what we get'.

Anyway, like a few posters have said now, he's probably worth more to United than we'd get by selling him. Less than £100m and we've been robbed. I can't see Madrid offering much more than that, but you never know, they need a bit of a revamp. If I had to guess at what he's actually worth to United, I'd probably go somewhere in the region of £130-140m, but in today's market it's anyone's guess. I'm sure the money men at United have a good idea, and will hopefully offer him a long contract which reflects that and keeps him at United for the foreseeable.

Reactions: Akshay

Mr Mata

De Gea in my opinion is the best goalkeeper in the world. Literally any other keeper we can get our hands on is a downgrade, so I guess to me that makes De Gea priceless to this club. Not many keepers around that are match winners! I’d imagine hes a keeper that makes even the best of strikers a bit nervous to see on the oppositions team sheet. Potential to be one of the all time great keepers, potentially even the best of all time!

Reactions: Penna

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
De Gea in my opinion is the best goalkeeper in the world. Literally any other keeper we can get our hands on is a downgrade, so I guess to me that makes De Gea priceless to this club. Not many keepers around that are match winners! I’d imagine hes a keeper that makes even the best of strikers a bit nervous to see on the oppositions team sheet. Potential to be one of the all time great keepers, potentially even the best of all time!
There's no way he'll be number 1 of all time with his relative lack of command of the box.

cyril C

I read a story from an ex-keeper commenting that DDG is only 2nd best keeper in the world, due to his weakness on distribution i.e. kicking the ball to the right place/player. Neuer is better.

JohnS

Supports
St. Johnstone
OK I’m bored at work, but if you average out the top 6’s keepers by shots faced / goals conceded you get:
Man City concede 1 fewer
Man Utd concede 15 more
Chelsea concede 5 more
Liverpool concede 10 fewer
Tottenham unchanged
Arsenal concede 6 fewer

baskinginthesun

His worth easily beats the last world record fee for a GK. Probabaly anywhere from 60-80mil. He is a Goalkeeper after all and commanding 100mil for him would be unreal (but todays football is unreal sometimes).

However, is the heavy metal scene in Madrid worth a move for him, this is the real question?