DDG - it needs to be said

Coops73

Seen it too often, he's frightened of getting physically involved. A goalkeeper in that position on the 3rd goal must have it in their instinct to sacrifice themselves and smother that ball. What was once an asset is now becoming a big liability. Fear has taken over. I reckon he's fecked tbh!
Agree with this, he totally bottled the challenge on Calvert Lewin.

You want you goalkeepers to not only be good shot stoppers but fearless bordering on Psychotic and you just don’t get that with De Gea.

OrcaFat

coward

noun

1. a person who is contemptibly lacking in the courage to do or endure dangerous or unpleasant things.
That looks very insulting to me. But beyond that, it is the connotation of the word. It is more or less the worst thing you can accuse a person of.

He has the courage to take the field every day, despite the pressure and obvious erosion of his powers.

On the internet people can say what they like, it seems, but it doesn’t make it okay.

Judas

Open to offers
That looks very insulting to me. But beyond that, it is the connotation of the word. It is more or less the worst thing you can accuse a person of.

He has the courage to take the field every day, despite the pressure and obvious erosion of his powers.

On the internet people can say what they like, it seems, but it doesn’t make it okay.
Seems a bit of a weird hill to die on going to war about the word choice, what word would you rather be used that fits his actions and lack of bravery?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Some people here have said DDG was, at some stage, the best in the world. I said, and still say: he isn't even in the top two united have had in the PL era!

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
He was the best shot stopper in the world for many years and it always masked his deficiencies at failing to command the box and come off his line for crosses. 3 long years have passed where the argument for the former outweighed those weaknesses because he‘s approaching Kepa levels of performance yet again here. I say yet again because it’s been a frequent dropping of that high standard every year now, mostly owing to basic fundamentals lacking in his game.

Yesterday there was no doubt about his culpability in the first and last goal (Maguire too on last) but even the 2nd, any proactive keeper would have looked to catch or intercept the cross that ultimately fell to Doucoure.

A club that talks the talk of reaching the pinnacle again would have sent him packing at a good value. The age, contract, value and performance metrics were all there to vindicate it. We didn‘t. There are no excuses for watching this time and time again over the last 3 years and acting surprised by the next failing / set of failings.

It’s David De Groundhog day all the time.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Agree, I don't like the name calling either. Though I've seen posters outright call him a cnut too, so "coward" isn't the worst example.

One poster yesterday said "You have to kill the man. Scum." If either part of that sentence is directed at De Gea.....

Makes me sad that people can't criticise someone who kept the team afloat for so long without being vaguely respectful. Though in some cases I suspect it's because they lack the mental capacity to do much more than alternate between praise and abuse online.

arthurka

Second lowest save percentage in the league for 350k.. A keeper for a title challenger, I think not.

Last edited:

Lentwood

Agree, I don't like the name calling either. Though I've seen posters outright call him a cnut too, so "coward" isn't the worst example.

One poster yesterday said "You have to kill the man. Scum." If either part of that sentence is directed at De Gea.....

Makes me sad that people can't criticise someone who kept the team afloat for so long without being vaguely respectful. Though in some cases I suspect it's because they lack the mental capacity to do much more than alternate between praise and abuse online.
There is a big difference between calling someone “scum” and calling them a coward.

“Scum” is a word that you use to describe real low-lives, people who do despicable acts. It is not applicable to a footballer making a mistake.

Calling a player a coward is different. You’re using a word that literally describes a person who lacks bravery. I don’t see what the big deal is? Sure, nobody likes to be called a coward, but if the cap fits...

OrcaFat

Seems a bit of a weird hill to die on going to war about the word choice, what word would you rather be used that fits his actions and lack of bravery?
If you don’t agree that “coward” is too strong, ask yourself if you would say it to his face.

And you can’t say his actions are for lack of bravery. It is form (or waning ability) affecting his decisions. And his style, always, was to stay close to his line. That’s the player he is and it was more than fine for many years but now his performance drops he is labelled a coward. It is far too simplistic a view and downright insulting.

I can’t stop it, evidently, but I think it is profoundly uncool.

Oranges038

No posts at all in here for nearly 2 months. Now I see all the De Gea out parade are back in full force.

He isn’t the problem, the fecking defence is.

He's played well recently but he was the problem last night.

Bigsid

Remember us being linked with Kasper Schmeichel years ago who I'm sure would have been great. Good presence, brave, imposing, good leader, decent with feet and a good shot stopper. Problem is there ain't that many who tick all those boxes. Likes of Courtois, Donnarumma, Oblak would cost a fortune and in Premier League there seems to be a plethora of Pickford type keepers who don't command their area and lack presence. Been a strange recruitment policy with our keepers for me. Signed an Argentinian International who has never been given a chance. An old bloke like Lee Grant who was never gonna play. And now we've recalled a young lad like Henderson who nobody trusts. Strange.

Judas

Open to offers
If you don’t agree that “coward” is too strong, ask yourself if you would say it to his face.

And you can’t say his actions are for lack of bravery. It is form (or waning ability) affecting his decisions. And his style, always, was to stay close to his line. That’s the player he is and it was more than fine for many years but now his performance drops he is labelled a coward. It is far too simplistic a view and downright insulting.

It's not form or waning abilities when he's struggled with the same things his entire career. He made up for those flaws with other aspects some what, which now don't really cut it. People are describing in detail his issues, but you'd rather just make a fuss about the word choice instead of discussing the true problem.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
There is a big difference between calling someone “scum” and calling them a coward.

“Scum” is a word that you use to describe real low-lives, people who do despicable acts. It is not applicable to a footballer making a mistake.

Calling a player a coward is different. You’re using a word that literally describes a person who lacks bravery. I don’t see what the big deal is? Sure, nobody likes to be called a coward, but if the cap fits...
It just carries more negative connotations than simply saying "he lacks bravery". Generally when people use the word "coward" it's specifically as an insult, whereas talking about a keeper being or not being brave enough in certain situations is normal football terminology. I realise they mean the same thing but in this context one reads as being a lot harsher than the other.

Lentwood

It just carries more negative connotations than simply saying "he lacks bravery". Generally when people use the word "coward" it's specifically as an insult, whereas talking about a keeper being or not being brave enough in certain situations is normal football terminology. I realise they mean the same thing but in this context one reads as being a lot harsher than the other.
OK, well let me clarify then - De Gea is a cowardly footballer

In other aspects of his life and character, the word “coward” may not be applicable and/or may be unfair. But in the context of his performance as a footballer I would say its accurate, in my opinion

klayton88

I'd have been winging punches at this keeper at full time and I've had made him walk home.

OrcaFat

It's not form or waning abilities when he's struggled with the same things his entire career. He made up for those flaws with other aspects some what, which now don't really cut it. People are describing in detail his issues, but you'd rather just make a fuss about the word choice instead of discussing the true problem.
I am saying the true problem is not that he is a coward. There is no need to describe in detail his issues. He’s not going to sort them out one by one and get a merit sticker. He’s simply not as good as he once was and his style now looks a poor match for the demands of the EPL.

As for use of the word “coward”, I said why I don’t think applies and why I don’t like it. Language does matter, you know that, and it’s no excuse to say “it’s just a word”.

big rons sovereign

Good grief.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Remember us being linked with Kasper Schmeichel years ago who I'm sure would have been great. Good presence, brave, imposing, good leader, decent with feet and a good shot stopper. Problem is there ain't that many who tick all those boxes. Likes of Courtois, Donnarumma, Oblak would cost a fortune and in Premier League there seems to be a plethora of Pickford type keepers who don't command their area and lack presence. Been a strange recruitment policy with our keepers for me. Signed an Argentinian International who has never been given a chance. An old bloke like Lee Grant who was never gonna play. And now we've recalled a young lad like Henderson who nobody trusts. Strange.
Out of contract this summer supposedly

OrcaFat

I still think Schmeichel is a very good fit for us. 34, the age VDS was when he came here.

JMack1234

I'm still annoyed about De Gea.

Any 'keeper can make a clanger, it happens. But the way he bottled out of that challenge in the last minute of added time.

Not for me Clive.

MetoTTT

A swap deal DDG for Navas + money could've been a steal years ago. Some said he isn't helped by the CBs...it's true but I'll say the CBs aren't helped by DDG either. Lack of commanding, leadership, shaky on corners/crosses, sweeping behind the 2 CBs and never leaves the line.
Even Schmeichel who's isn't perfect could do a lot better here.
We have to stick with him now. Massive wages, no one can buy him especially during this COVID climat.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
What is it about contract renewals that seem to curse us?

First Jose signs a new deal then gets sacked shortly afterwards. Then Rojo, Jones, Lingard and Smalling get new deals before playing about 3 times between them.

Now De Gea has regressed massively since his new deal and we’re lumbered with him on 400,000 a week.

bsCallout

Some people here have said DDG was, at some stage, the best in the world. I said, and still say: he isn't even in the top two united have had in the PL era!
One of the best shot stoppers only. The rest of his game has always been average.

BR7

It’s getting concerning, we’re making individual errors regularly costing us important goals but I agree with a lot of the guys posting, he absolutely bottled that third, he would’ve got to the ball if he’d shown a bit of bravery. That’s not the attitude united need and SAF would’ve gone nuts. Wonder if ole will do the same and bench him for it? He deserves it.

I love DDG but yeah thAt pathetic palm away and then that gutless non effort at the end are surely the end for him. Paris calling .... but a fantastic keeper for us and god knows how many player of the year awards in a row. He can’t be panned, he’s done a very good job for us over the years.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I’m disappointed to see posters calling him a coward. That’s a very strong insult in my view, from the safety of the internet, it’s not civilised.

That said, some of his positioning and decision making suggest his confidence is low. Probably he is aware of the general decline in his performance levels and it is affecting him. At this stage of his career it could be a tough cycle to break.
Coward is exactly the right word, he shits himself at the thought of coming off his line and getting stuck in and it happens again and again and again, and he appears to show no willingness to do anything about it.

hungrywing

What is it about contract renewals that seem to curse us?

First Jose signs a new deal then gets sacked shortly afterwards. Then Rojo, Jones, Lingard and Smalling get new deals before playing about 3 times between them.

Now De Gea has regressed massively since his new deal and we’re lumbered with him on 400,000 a week.
Hmmm.....

DoomSlayer

https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/keepers/Premier-League-Stats

Second last in % of shots saved, but 5th in % of matches that result in clean sheets. This means our defense is doing their job alright, but the goalkeeper is almost non-existent.

De Gea is not only costing us games now, he brings nothing to the team at this point. I have no idea why Henderson isn't playing. I don't want Ole to call him out in public, I just want him to drop him permanently. His performances this season overall might have cost us the chances of winning any trophies.

OrcaFat

Coward is exactly the right word, he shits himself at the thought of coming off his line and getting stuck in and it happens again and again and again, and he appears to show no willingness to do anything about it.
He’s never played any other way and I’m sure anyone who calls him coward to his face is taking a big chance. But whatever, some people want to chuck personal insults around like confetti. Lucky no players or managers pay any attention to what’s written here and I’m sure DDG doesn’t need me sticking up for him. I just don’t like it and don’t think it’s true.

But I have said his performances haven’t been good enough recently and it’s probably time for a change. Whingeing and insulting him will not get him to redesign his style. He is what he is.

MU655

I don't see why people are so against giving Henderson a chance. It is like people have seen 3 games and written him off. He is a young keeper at 23 years old; he is not going to just come in and be amazing straight away. I think people forget that De Gea was actually dropped for Lindegaard at one point, and the reason he got back in was due to an injury.

I saw someone say that Henderson was decent at Sheffield. Nonsense; he had a brilliant season there. He was commanding, good on corners and freekicks, and had one of the best save percentages in the league. His loss is a massive reason why their defence has deteriorated so much this season.

I think we should give him a chance now. Hopefully, he plays in our next game.

OrcaFat

I don't see why people are so against giving Henderson a chance. It is like people have seen 3 games and written him off. He is a young keeper at 23 years old; he is not going to just come in and be amazing straight away. I think people forget that De Gea was actually dropped for Lindegaard at one point, and the reason he got back in was due to an injury.

I saw someone say that Henderson was decent at Sheffield. Nonsense; he had a brilliant season there. He was commanding, good on corners and freekicks, and had one of the best save percentages in the league. His loss is a massive reason why their defence has deteriorated so much this season.

I think we should give him a chance now. Hopefully, he plays in our next game.
I agree we should give Henderson a run. He’s still young and the pressure here is nothing like what he’s had at Sheff U, but he’s got the ability and some premiership experience. We just need to temper expectations a bit with him, take a long view and execute a plan for competition / back up in goal. I am inclined that we should buy an experienced keeper and let him and Hendo compete.

Djemba-Djemba

He’s still one of the best shot stopper in the world to be fair to him. But he really need to change his game for the modern football. Need to get stuck in more and distribute better. That’s the way football is nowadays. This reminds me of how Liverpool struggled so much after the backpass rule started.
He really isn't.

People keep saying that to try and defend him but it's just not true and hasn't been true for at least a couple of years.

He doesn't make astonishing saves anymore. He's an average to decent shot stopper now who is poor to abject at every other aspect of keeping.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
He’s never played any other way and I’m sure anyone who calls him coward to his face is taking a big chance. But whatever, some people want to chuck personal insults around like confetti. Lucky no players or managers pay any attention to what’s written here and I’m sure DDG doesn’t need me sticking up for him. I just don’t like it and don’t think it’s true.

But I have said his performances haven’t been good enough recently and it’s probably time for a change. Whingeing and insulting him will not get him to redesign his style. He is what he is.
TO be fair given how shy of physical contact he appears to be I think it would be quite safe to call him one to his face?

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
This is also why im skeptical of Henderson being good enough. Keepers without x factor at united tend to be gambles even if they're good. I have seen all.of Howard, Foster, Carroll, Barthez, Taibi, Lindegaard be crushed by the pressure of being our first choice.
Lindergaard did alright, he was just unlucky to get injured and that gave De Gea the chance to win back the starting job.

Born2Lose

https://fbref.com/en/comps/9/keepers/Premier-League-Stats

Second last in % of shots saved, but 5th in % of matches that result in clean sheets. This means our defense is doing their job alright, but the goalkeeper is almost non-existent.

De Gea is not only costing us games now, he brings nothing to the team at this point. I have no idea why Henderson isn't playing. I don't want Ole to call him out in public, I just want him to drop him permanently. His performances this season overall might have cost us the chances of winning any trophies.
I suspect it's the same as Martial, they are being paid too much to be dropped. They're both problems Ole has inherited and can't do much about.