DDG won't save a single pen

Judas

Open to offers
I don't blame him for not scoring his, he's a keeper. But his attempts to save basically all 11 of them was laughable. If it wasn't a serious shootout I probably would have laughed, it was a comically poor effort.

slyadams

Some of you lots are a bit pathetic in trying to pin the blame on a keeper because he didn't save penalties as if those aren't mostly made due to luck.

Get a grip for feck sakes. We should have sought to win this game in regular playing time, not penalties. Us deciding to sit back and drop off in extra time instead of desperately trying to win and avoid penalties at all cost given we were supposed to be the better team with the better squad is what to blame, not the goalkeeper for failing to save penalties, something which is more akin to luck than any skills.
No ones saying the result is DDG’s fault, in 120 minutes we couldn’t put a very average side away. I think most are angry with Ole because you could see this coming a mile away.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
In fairness he did save one.at home to Palace this season..but VAR let them off.

Some keepers are just poor at pens. Cech was another
Cech was fantastic in Munich. Iirc went the right way for every pen he faced including the one he saved during the game.

Kingantti1874

Supports
Hearts
Wow, his technique for saving pens absolutely terrible, commit early and topple over to the side.

that may be the worst I’ve ever seen at the top level.

RedDevilRoshi

Would rather have had Lee Grant in goals for the penalties. Every time a Villarreal player stepped up to take one, I just had no confidence that DDG was going to save it.

Al-T

You have to laugh really. We have two goalkeepers on the bench. Plus Romero not even here. But the best paid keeper in the world is left on and manages to save 0/11. Chances are even Grant would have saved one.

rooney2009

He has a phobia for saving penalties
Still don’t understand why Ole didn’t sub him for Hendo in the last few mins

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He has a phobia for saving penalties
Still don’t understand why Ole didn’t sub him for Hendo in the last few mins
That would take some real guts and it will upset DDG, was never going to happen, it's not Ole's style.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Would rather have had Lee Grant in goals for the penalties. Every time a Villarreal player stepped up to take one, I just had no confidence that DDG was going to save it.
Grant was shite against Derby when we lost at Old Trafford.

If only we had a fourth goalkeeper at the club who kept goal tidily enough when we last won the Europa League and who has the best clean sheet record in our history.

DevTheRed

There was no commitment to his decision making, it’s like he already knows he’s not going to save it. Would’ve been the complete opposite to Deano, who should’ve been subbed on.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
He always looks afraid of the ball. Never a good sign for a keeper in a penalty shootout.

Elefenrir

Supports
CD Tenerife
The man is definitely cursed when penalties are on the table.

I don't blame him for missing, however 10 penalties and not a single defence is a very underwhelming for a goalkeeper of his calibre.

Eugenius

They just looked more saveable because he actually managed to get close to them.
DDG went the right way on probably most of them, but they were all pretty much unsaveable. Probably 3 or 4 early dives sent the wrong way fair enough. But that's the lottery of penalties.

CM10

He's an embarrassment. They could've shot penalties at De Gea all day long no bother

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
I was dreading the prospect of penalties because it was obvious we weren't winning the shootout with De Gea in goal. It wasn't pessimism, it was fecking obvious.

Ainu

I don't blame him, plenty of keepers go a whole shootout without saving a penalty. It took the opposing keeper 11 to make his first save. It's just that, even outside of this shootout, he just never saves penalties and you know you'll never win a shootout with such a keeper. He probably went into it without any confidence whatsoever, and then he gets the added pressure of having to score to keep us in as well. That was always going to end badly. He looked sick at the end and I felt sorry for him. But it has to be said, for a keeper, that just isn't good enough. No team can ever afford to start a game that might be decided on penalties with De Gea in goal, it's that simple.

RedDevilRoshi

Grant was shite against Derby when we lost at Old Trafford.

If only we had a fourth goalkeeper at the club who kept goal tidily enough when we last won the Europa League and who has the best clean sheet record in our history.
He was shite against Derby but his penalty record can’t be any worse than De Gea’s. More chance of saving a penalty kick with a traffic cone in between the sticks for us than Dave.

Ricky Spanish

I don't blame him for not scoring his, he's a keeper. But his attempts to save basically all 11 of them was laughable. If it wasn't a serious shootout I probably would have laughed, it was a comically poor effort.
Their GK's effort was as good as an outfield player's though. As soon as DDG stepped up I said to my wife, "It's over, this guy is a bottler to his core". Wazza's kid would have put more behind it.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I don't know about the saving penalties thing. That's asking too much I think. I know he was poor on the goal though.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Bloke has the presence of tissue paper, unfortunately.

SAFMUTD

Thing is the penalty round could have gone for another round and De Gea would have saved one. Being as clear as it is surely at the club must have noticed this? maybe developing an strategy of changing the keeper in penalty rounds? I mean 36 freaking penalties in a row without saving a single one feck me that must be some kind of a record.

Lappen

Their GK's effort was as good as an outfield player's though. As soon as DDG stepped up I said to my wife, "It's over, this guy is a bottler to his core". Wazza's kid would have put more behind it.
Ddg should have been subbed for the penalties. Ole is a romantic ashole thinking that if he just give anyone a chans....everything going to be great...

Born2Lose

It's the nail in the coffin, his fall from grace is truly complete.

Was questioned about a month ago in saying that we should start Henderson in every game, I'm not saying he's the final answer, but at least he can do most of the fundamentals of GK to a decent standard.