De Gea contract talk | Signs new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuffkin

City fans hate him, Liverpool fans fear him, Chelsea fans have nightmares about him, Arsenal fans would give their left bollock to sign him, Tottenham fans would love to swap out their French keeper for him.
He is top quality guys, you had better hope and pray he signs.

el3mel

I think he's going to extend, so he may still want to leave next summer, but at least we'll be able to sell him next summer for giga fee instead of him running down his contract.

Wheato

No doubt he is a quality keeper and has saved our skin countless times throughout a rough patch, but something that has become evident in recent years is his poor distribution from the back. He has been guilty of not passing the ball out to a team mate, and just clearing the ball to anywhere, which often results in us losing possession. I hope that if he stays, we have a plan for improving his distribution. Everyone was surprised when Pep axed Joe Hart and brought in Bravo, but it was for this very reason. He wanted a keeper who can retain possession and keep the ball moving through the back 5. It has worked out for them and Klopp followed suit with Alisson.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He needs to improve. Get him a quality coach and not his feckin mate.

xtal191

He needs to improve. Get him a quality coach and not his feckin mate.
Didn't we hire a new goalkeeping coach a few weeks back? Think he was previously at the club. Or maybe I'm imagining it

arthurka

He is one of our best players of course we should try to get him signed again. But 350k is ridiculous, but loosing him on free is just dumb.

DutchCruijff

300K+, let alone 390K, for a limited keeper who is ageing? That's madness.

He's not good with his feet, his distribution is poor, he's not a modern-day sweeper keeper, his aerial presence is non-existent and he is ageing now.

It's better we sell him 50-60M and re-invest that in a new keeper rather than offer him 300K+. That's actual madness.

Zlatattack

He'd better sign now. He's a top goalkeeper, needs to work on his distribution skills again.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Told my mates about six months ago that I would get a fax machine tattoo if de Gea signed a new contract, wasn't optimistic then.

Yakuza_devils

He will be the highest paid GK by far if he signed the new contract.

Both Man City and Liverpool have better GK than us and their salary is much lower than DDG.

Hope DDG can get back to be the best GK in the world.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If he's really been offered 350K a week and rejects that, we need to move him on in this window.

I again suggest my evil masterplan: De Gea to Madrid, Courtois to Atletico, Oblak to United.

DoomSlayer

If he's really been offered 350K a week and rejects that, we need to move him on in this window.

I again suggest my evil masterplan: De Gea to Madrid, Courtois to Atletico, Oblak to United.
Unfortunately we can't sell De Gea precisely due to his wage demands. Who would pay him that sort of money and also give us at least €50-€60 million in transfer fees?

No club is that dumb, they'll wait another year and get him on a free, whilst also being able to evaluate whether he's dropped a level for good or if it was just a bad period for him. I personally think DDG has peaked and is also too one-dimensional of a GK anyway so if he loses his godlike shot-stopping abilities, there isn't much left.

DoomSlayer

I'm sure the end of season form was just a minor blip and once his head is right/future is sorted he'll be back to normal.
His form has been bad since the World Cup. The club won't offer him a better contract, obviously they have briefed the media about that so he either takes that or leaves on a free next summer.

Ed9

Both Man City and Liverpool have better GK than us and their salary is much lower than DDG.

Nonsense, short memories.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Unfortunately we can't sell De Gea precisely due to his wage demands. Who would pay him that sort of money and also give us at least €50-€60 million in transfer fees?

No club is that dumb, they'll wait another year and get him on a free, whilst also being able to evaluate whether he's dropped a level for good or if it was just a bad period for him. I personally think DDG has peaked and is also too one-dimensional of a GK anyway so if he loses his godlike shot-stopping abilities, there isn't much left.
I think he'd take a lesser wage if it meant his dream move coming to fruition.

Tiber

A couple of rough games at the end of the season and people genuinely lose the fecking plot

berbasloth4

still the best goalkeeper in the world everyone has a few bad games. Give him what he wants.

It is a pity he hasn't been in a better united team or he might have went down as our greatest keeper ever.

Moriarty

Has anyone made an offer for him yet? We are not in a very strong position and I imagine that any team that wanted him could force our hand for a reasonable fee.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
If De Gea refuse the contract offer, and if he is going to let the contract run to end next summer, in order to get better paid elsewhere, should we put him in our reserves for rest of next season?

Yakuza_devils

A couple of rough games at the end of the season and people genuinely lose the fecking plot
To be fair, its not just a couple of games at the end of season. Last whole season he was not at his best compared to seasons when he was one of the best GK in the world.

His form has dropped but he will be rewarded with big contract. Hope he can be back to his best.

If he stay great but he really want to leave we should move on as he has been wanting to leave us a few times already.

DoomSlayer

If De Gea refuse the contract offer, and if he is going to let the contract run to end next summer, in order to get better paid elsewhere, should we put him in our reserves for rest of next season?
I'd personally give Dean Henderson a chance to see what he can do and rotate the keepers if that's the road De Gea takes.

People will say that DDG carried us over the years - well we made him the highest paid player at the club at one point and he was also the highest paid GK (I even think he still is, not sure though).

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I can't see any big club wanting him right now. I think he's intent on running his contract down and signing for someone on a free transfer with a big sign on fee. City and Barca wouldn't take him with his limitations that is for sure. Liverpool have a better allround keeper too. PSG are looking at Donnarumma and I doubt Bayern would want someone who is limited on the ball. Juve like a free transfer though.

lysglimt

Scout
300K+, let alone 390K, for a limited keeper who is ageing? That's madness.

He's not good with his feet, his distribution is poor, he's not a modern-day sweeper keeper, his aerial presence is non-existent and he is ageing now.

It's better we sell him 50-60M and re-invest that in a new keeper rather than offer him 300K+. That's actual madness.
Your post is madness. Ageing ? He is 29 for Christs sake

We need an rvn

I honestly don't want us paying a keeper £350k p/w if that's what our offer is. Romero is a perfectly good keeper and there seems to be a lot of promise in Henderson.

Once you start to pay a keeper £350k then the forwards / midfielders will be running down their contracts doing the same and everything spirals out of control. Player positions have their salary value, simple as that.

Halal Jalal

Your post is madness. Ageing ? He is 29 for Christs sake
Casillas started declining at the same age and he never recovered. DDG is the same type of goalkeeper, pure shot-stopper relying on reflexes and agility, not much else to offer. Approaching 30 is when reflexes and agility naturally start deteriorating, so there are justifiable doubts about giving DDG this new insane contract he wants. He already is the highest paid goalkeeper in the world as things stand, but the 18/19 form was... disappointing, to say the least.

AaronRedDevil

Delighted he's staying. We need at least ONE consistent world class player in the squad. Least it's one less position to worry about.

DoomSlayer

Casillas started declining at the same age and he never recovered. DDG is the same type of goalkeeper, pure shot-stopper relying on reflexes and agility, not much else to offer. Approaching 30 is when reflexes and agility naturally start deteriorating, so there are justifiable doubts about giving DDG this new insane contract he wants. He already is the highest paid goalkeeper in the world as things stand, but the 18/19 form was... disappointing, to say the least.
At least Casillas was a very vocal GK, able to organise his defense and was a proper leader too, captain for club and country so was useful even after declining physically. De Gea never developed in such a way, doesn't seem to have the personality for it.

baskinginthesun

I see Mendes is his agent. That would explain the "tactics" behind this contract situation. I didn't know that.

That's a lot of money to spending on a GK, considering he is the already the highest paid keeper in the game.

Halal Jalal

At least Casillas was a very vocal GK, able to organise his defense and was a proper leader too, captain for club and country so was useful even after declining physically. De Gea never developed in such a way, doesn't seem to have the personality for it.
Yeah, have to agree with that unfortunately. It feels wrong to criticise DDG after all he's done for us, but we simply can't ignore the previous season. Some posters choose to believe it was just "a few bad matches towards the end of the season" but the truth is that he's never been the same since the World Cup embarrassment.

Honestly, I'm glad I don't have to make decision in this situation. What do you do? Give him a new contract and risk being stuck with horribly underperforming GK on 350k/w? Let him go for free next season? It doesn't seem there are any potential buyers this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.