De Gea contract talk | Signs new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZupZup

The reality of the situation at this point is that offering him a higher salary is fairly meaningless. I doubt he’s all that motivated by the money and even if he was, running down his contract would be better for him anyway. He’ll be able to command a minimum £10m signing on fee wherever he goes and clubs will happily pay that along with a big salary because they’d be getting him for free.

The only way he stays beyond this season is if he really wants to stay at United which is very unlikely. At the end of this season he’d be a very in demand free transfer. The likes of Real, Barca, Juve and PSG would all be interested.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Getting to a critical point with him now.
We simply need him to sign or ship him off now. We can't afford to lose him for free so if he refuses to move we have to use the oft threatened but seldom utilised " have a year not playing" rot.

DoomSlayer

We simply need him to sign or ship him off now. We can't afford to lose him for free so if he refuses to move we have to use the oft threatened but seldom utilised " have a year not playing" rot.
I can see only PSG being able to pay DDG what he demands and also paying some sort of transfer fee. But would they be really interested and would they do a move that sort of does United a favour, considering they seem to be still sour due to our win against them in the CL?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I can see only PSG being able to pay DDG what he demands and also paying some sort of transfer fee. But would they be really interested and would they do a move that sort of does United a favour, considering they seem to be still sour due to our win against them in the CL?
It's awkward for sure. Other teams would find the money if he came for free, but yes, to buy him and pay those wages is very difficult.

I may be being too optimistic, but I reckon this would be his worst time to leave over the last few years, as I think we'll have shown great intent by the end of the transfer window, and storm back strongly

Fıstıkçı Şahap

Hope we extend his contract but sell him next year and get Oblak. It's difficult though as his new salary probably would be a world record for a keeper. Maybe a swap + cash for Oblak? Can Atletico afford his wages? I heard they paid quite handsomely for their stars like Griezmann.

AdamAdams

If he wants to stay, he takes the deal, if he doesn't take it, means he's planning on leaving for free in the summer.
So its sign the deal now or sell him now in my eyes. No hard feelings towards him after he did the right thing signing his last contract but we shouldn't let him go for free.
Could we not use him in some sort of swap deal?

finneh

I'd offer him a huge sign on fee but the same wages and see if the prospect of such a colossal chunk of cash changed his mind. Something like £30m signing on fee but the same £200k a week wages he's currently on.

I believe he would feel he's getting the exact kind of deal he'd be offered by another club if he left for nothing next year. Think that would break the deadlock and also not murder our wage structure (ala Sanchez)

Then we can ensure in future no players contract that we want to keep ticks under 2 years (sign or sell at 2 years)

Hanky panky

De Gea is 28y old and 12 years younger than Buffon, for example. And people are worrying he is ageing. He has been our best player like 4/5 last years. Few bad games or even months should not mean too much.

Reactions: Invictus

rollingstoned1

De Gea is 28y old and 12 years younger than Buffon, for example. And people are worrying he is ageing. He has been our best player like 4/5 last years. Few bad games or even months should not mean too much.
It's not as cut and dried as that. Casillas aged badly after 30 and i'd argue that De gea is probably more in the Casillas category of GK rather than Buffon, Schmeichel, VDS who command their area extremely well and rely less on their reflexes. Schmeichel and Kahn were impressive physical specimens too who intimidated opposition attackers in their box. So it remains to be seen how that whole ageing thing goes with him. You can hide such a GK more easily in La liga or Serie a where you're not bombarded by high balls and crosses.

Chicharo

Yeah, like some of you said, people with such a short memory
Best goalie in the world, give him what he wants, if he refuses than it's not about the money at all

Bondi77

I am a big fan of De Gea but I am thinking if he wants to go then I am ok with it as he has given us quite a few years of top class service and maybe he is starting to feel stale at the club and needs a new challenge.
If he feels like he will only stay if he gets huge money that is going to wear thin quite quickly I think and maybe the concentration will go like it did at the end of the season.
Dean Henderson has come through the ranks and played international football at every level up to u21 and has excelled on every loan spell so he gets my vote on being our next keeper and we have Romero as back up so we do have stability.

meninred

The talk was Manutd offered him around 250K/week while sanchez is around 390K and that He may sign for around 350k or so.Even if he signs for big wage and underperformes
we still can sell him through negotiations.

cyril C

The reality of the situation at this point is that offering him a higher salary is fairly meaningless. I doubt he’s all that motivated by the money and even if he was, running down his contract would be better for him anyway. He’ll be able to command a minimum £10m signing on fee wherever he goes and clubs will happily pay that along with a big salary because they’d be getting him for free.

The only way he stays beyond this season is if he really wants to stay at United which is very unlikely. At the end of this season he’d be a very in demand free transfer. The likes of Real, Barca, Juve and PSG would all be interested.
DDG may want to run down his contract but the club will be keen to sell him to whoever interested. Let's say he refuse to go to PSG because Paris is such a boring city, then the club should either force him to move, or threaten to bench him for the whole season. In any case we should go for a replacement keeper this summer if DDG doesn't renew.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
DDG may want to run down his contract but the club will be keen to sell him to whoever interested. Let's say he refuse to go to PSG because Paris is such a boring city, then the club should either force him to move, or threaten to bench him for the whole season. In any case we should go for a replacement keeper this summer if DDG doesn't renew.
No fear of that.

Shaidabdullah Hussain

If there is anyone in our squad who actually deserves 350k a week it is Dave.

Could you imagine how much worse off we could have been if he hadn’t had saved all of those draws/wins for us ?

Pay up and keep him please.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
He has Juventus written all over him, those cheap cnuts will snag him for free next summer.

Red00012

This guy is leaving on a free next season. End of.

Red00012

If there is anyone in our squad who actually deserves 350k a week it is Dave.

Could you imagine how much worse off we could have been if he hadn’t had saved all of those draws/wins for us ?

Pay up and keep him please.
To be honest I’m hoping Henderson has a good season on loan and we make him our number 1 for next season (20-21)

cyril C

Hope we extend his contract but sell him next year and get Oblak. It's difficult though as his new salary probably would be a world record for a keeper. Maybe a swap + cash for Oblak? Can Atletico afford his wages? I heard they paid quite handsomely for their stars like Griezmann.
What, 350K or 400K Euro for a keeper? Only Utd is crazy enough to hand that out.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
this is no getting stupid and dragging on. either he wants to play for United or not...

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I think we’ll buckle and offer him what he wants, eventually. Never forget how good he was and still is.

Form is temporary, class is permanent. And Dave is one of the best ever for me.

Infra-red

I think I would have preferred to cash in on him, but the club's decision to extend is an understandable one. Let's hope he recovers some form.

R'hllor

Even i dont give a flying feck about him staying/leaving, in my mind he left on day of fax gate. This money he is after, he earned it in prev. years when he was on lower wages then he deserved back then, so you could say it will be balanced at the end.

Born2Lose

Really not sure how I feel about this, he was half way out the door already in my mind. Maybe if he stays and has a good season without any more transfer talk then my view will change.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
We could do with him signing a new deal partly just to demonstrate to prospective signings that not ALL our big name players are desperate to leave.

Champagne Football

He focus was shot at the end of the season, as PSG were promising him astronomical money until they fired their DoF and hired a new one. Now that they want Donnarumma instead - De Gea realizes we're offering him way double or triple what any other club excluding PSG will offer, and he's eager to get it done.

Delighted he is staying now, but just hope his hunger and desire gets back to what it once was asap, as he was a mess in the last 2 months of the season.

minh_loc_xoay

Form is temporary, class is permanent.

This is de gea we're talking about. Years and years of excellent service and we want him sold for 6 months of bad form? Seriously?

Him wanting out is one thing, we want to move him on is another.

Romero plays good for 10 games and we want him to replace the player that's playing good for 8 years? And thinks itllbe fine?
I don't care about the past. It's all about the present and future.
Offer him a bumper contract worth 4-5 years, and we got ourselves another Rooney situation again, all because we are stuck in the past.

De Gea's contract running down is our golden chance to get a more modern keeper and change our play style. The day of old-school shot-stopper GK like De Gea is over. Nowadays goalkeepers have to build from the back, good with their feets and being able to lead the ball out of penalty box. A goalkeeper being good with his legs can make a kick off as good as free kicks and even assist in goals. That's the type of modern goalkeepers we need, not the inactive type like De Gea.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
I don't care about the past. It's all about the present and future.
Offer him a bumper contract worth 4-5 years, and we got ourselves another Rooney situation again, all because we are stuck in the past.
He is 28 and that's pretty young for a GK.

arthurka

Way to much but like some have pointed out the only player who should be on this kind of money.

minh_loc_xoay

He is 28 and that's pretty young for a GK.
The two situations are the same as in we offer "past-it" players long-term contracts just because of their past glory, instead of what they really are at the present.

As my post above said, De Gea's play style cannot be improved and is outdated. We want to revolutionize our gameplay, we have to go with more modern goalkeepers. De Gea's game leaves a lot to be desired. This is supposed to be our perfect chance to start again with a clean slate from the back. Instead we want to keep ourselves stuck in the past and offer him with a kind of deal that makes him practically impossible to move on because no other clubs in the world would pay that kind of money to a goalkeeper.

Last edited:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The two situations are the same as in we offer "past-it" players long-term contracts just because of their past glory, instead of what they really are at the present.

As my post above said, De Gea's play style cannot be improved and is outdated. We want to revolutionize our gameplay, we have to go with more modern goalkeepers. De Gea's game leaves a lot to be desired. This is supposed to be our perfect chance to start again with a clean slate from the back. Instead we want to keep ourselves stuck in the past and offer him with a kind of deal that makes him practically impossible to move on because no other clubs in the world would pay that kind of money to a goalkeeper.
You think goalkeeping is some kind of computer? Modern goalkeeper? Who?

minh_loc_xoay

You think goalkeeping is some kind of computer? Modern goalkeeper? Who?
The type of goalkeepers like Ederson or Alisson: Being solid and also good with their feets, can play from the back...etc. Also have the strong mentality to handle penalties. De Gea is also stuck to his position and do not come out to claim the ball enough to reduce pressure on our backline. His terrible distribution always hands the ball back to our opponents.

How many times have a misplaced pass from De Gea put Pogba/Fred in a bad position, opponents take the ball and start a quick counter which leads to a goal against us? Then Pogba/Fred took all the unfair blame from fans/media... See the pattern here? I can’t remember the last time De Gea managed to have a good quick throw/pass and open up a counter-attacking goal for us. Only the opposite...

Also his mentality is not strong and cunning enough. A penalty against De Gea is as good as a shot to empty net. We would have lost the Champions League Final against Chelsea in 2008 if it was De Gea in goal instead of Van Der Sar. Having a goalkeeper who sucks at penalty is like having your striker sucks at 1-on-1. It’s a serious handicap.

De Gea has served us for years. But it’s all in the past now. Ole mentions about being ruthless a lot. If there are truths in what he says, now is the perfect time to move on from the old goalkeeper era of us and moving to more modern, good-with-the-feets type of goalkeeper.

Liverpool dared to change from a mere shot-stopper like Karius to a more modern Alisson. Their Champions League trophy is the biggest proof of such approaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.