Pickford - 8/35 - 22.86%
Navas - 14/45 - 31.11%
Courtois - 7/39 - 17.95%
Oblak - 13/41 - 31.71%
Stegen - 10/39 - 25.64%
Neuer - 18/57 - 31.58%
De Gea - 11/55 - 20.00%
Ederson - 6/32 - 18.75%
Well that completely throws the myth out the window about him being worse than others at penalties doesn’t it. Small sample sizes and wide variability. If anyone could do the pleasure of running the quick stats on those numbers. From the looks of it they’re not statistically significant

UncleBob

I still have absolutely no idea why people have such an obsession with penalties.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Spain are wankers for crap like that. Had st.Iker as number one way past his sell by date. So what Spain do doesn’t concern me. What De Gea does doesn’t concern me. He’s better than Kepa without a doubt. We’ve had plenty of Man Utd first team players who couldn’t make their national first teams.

It’s going to be fun quoting nay sayers when he’s back on top form.
I hope you're right mate and do quote me.

My concern with him is that if we do sort the defense out and he has less shots deal with, his defencies will be highlighted even more. I don't care if he made umpteen blunders that cost us a top 4 spot last season. I've come to the realisation in the last few years that his non command of his box has been detrimental to our back line.

He's not good with his feet either and he isn't physically imposing at all for a goalkeeper. Hence stays rooted to his line giving me the impression he doesn't fancy a physical altercation with the opposition.

It's easy to see why some posters labelled him a 'pussy' after the loss to Wolves.

UncleBob

My concern with him is that if we do sort the defense out and he has less shots deal with, his defencies will be highlighted even more. I don't care if he made umpteen blunders that cost us a top 4 spot last season. I've come to the realisation in the last few years that his non command of his box has been detrimental to our back line.
:lol:

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Him fecking up for Spain and losing the #1 spot to Kepa has nothing to do with Spain's golden period being over.

We have been shite defensively since Fergie retired and the only constant has been the 'timid one' who is afraid to come off his line.

Our current defense needs a imposing goalkeeper and he isn't imposing at all when it comes to commanding his box.
I agree 100%

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
He can use them where it matters most and one of the best ever.

This whole distribution mumbo jumbo is a load of bollocks. If our team played like a Manchester United team is expected to — no one would give a feck about his distribution.
How on earth is expecting your £350,000 a week goalkeeper to be able to pass/throw the ball to a team-mate a load of mumbo jumbo?
If this is the extent of our fans knowledge then is it any wonder some players are taking us for a ride?

Fair enough, maybe 30 years ago, before the back-pass rule was brought in, a goalkeeper's ability with his feet wasn't that important but, as I said, that was 30 years ago.
This distribution 'mumbo-jumbo' also includes having the ability to think quickly and set up counter attacks with throws or passes, something Peter Schmeichel was brilliant at, in fact, it was a vital asset of that outstanding team.
The fact that De Gea is well below par at this is a concern and to just dismiss that as mumbo-jumbo is ignorant and stubborn.
As I said, the days of the goal-keeper solely being reactionary and keeping the ball out of the net ended decades ago so it's hardly that crazy for fans to expect the supposed 'best keeper in the world' to have some kind of a proactive side to him.

UncleBob

How on earth is expecting your £350,000 a week goalkeeper to be able to pass/throw the ball to a team-mate a load of mumbo jumbo?
If this is the extent of our fans knowledge then is it any wonder some players are taking us for a ride?

Fair enough, maybe 30 years ago, before the back-pass rule was brought in, a goalkeeper's ability with his feet wasn't that important but, as I said, that was 30 years ago.
This distribution 'mumbo-jumbo' also includes having the ability to think quickly and set up counter attacks with throws or passes, something Peter Schmeichel was brilliant at, in fact, it was a vital asset of that outstanding team.
The fact that De Gea is well below par at this is a concern and to just dismiss that as mumbo-jumbo is ignorant and stubborn.
As I said, the days of the goal-keeper solely being reactionary and keeping the ball out of the net ended decades ago so it's hardly that crazy for fans to expect the supposed 'best keeper in the world' to have some kind of a proactive side to him.
The amount of hyperbole is absurd.

Mcking

I could see this contract backfiring spectacularly. Regardless, I'm looking forward to another shaky defence next season.

minh_loc_xoay

This whole distribution mumbo jumbo is a load of bollocks. If our team played like a Manchester United team is expected to — no one would give a feck about his distribution.
We massively struggle with our attacks. Having a goalkeeper that can help us with distribution and pin-point passes ahead to launch quick counter-attacks would help us massively. It's not mumbo jumbo. A goalkeeper who is good with his feet and a vision for long passes may also help us with assists. Right now De Gea cannot hope to do any of that, and he needs to improve.

We all say the day of defenders just need to be good with defense are over. Nowadays defenders must be good with the ball and build-from-the-back. Look at Liverpool's Roberson, Trent, VVD... They all chip in assists regularly. Why can't the same philosophy be applied to goalkeepers?

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

I know I would so please don't talk for me. His terrible distribution often results in the opposition easily retrieving the ball and piling on more pressure. He has actually gotten worse at it over time.
DDG excels (for Man United anyway) at a key area which is shot stopping which makes him a world class keeper but not the best overall.

fallengt

Romero - 10/34 - 29.41%
Alisson - 5/16 - 31.25%
Kepa - 5/18 - 27.78%
Pickford - 8/35 - 22.86%
Navas - 14/45 - 31.11%
Courtois - 7/39 - 17.95%
Oblak - 13/41 - 31.71%
Stegen - 10/39 - 25.64%
Neuer - 18/57 - 31.58%
De Gea - 11/55 - 20.00%
Ederson - 6/32 - 18.75%
De Gea saved 5 or 6 for United in those 11.

lysglimt

Scout
Is anyone else incredibly frustrated with this? His form went to shit and was a massive factor in us not claiming top 4 because he was unsure whether to sign a contract which would make him the highest paid keeper in the world or thereabouts. Other players get heaps for perceived lack of commitment...

Then there is the second option and it wasn't a factor, which is even more worrying and just means his form has declined naturally as he gets older, in which case do we really want him to even sign the offer.
Yes I am incredibly frustrated by Your post

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
I mean, have a look at his post history 4/5 pages of him basically calling De Gea shit.
Probably eight years worth to be honest, because, in that time, nothing has changed, our defence has been woeful ever since De Gea signed (aside from a few seasons under Mourinhio when we basically played ten at the back, I could have kept 20 clean sheets a season playing in that team).

To be clear, I never once called him sh*t, as you claim, I've been saying that he is massively overrated.
I'm also not for a second saying that he is the only reason our defence is poor, but he is part of that defensive unit and therefore surely has to take some of the blame.
Ive also went out of my way to point out that its nothing personal and in terms of attitude, we could do with a few more like him.
I dont actually know why I bother going out of my way to point things like that out before giving my opinion to be honest, it's a waste of time because you still get the same accusations of hyperbole and agenda.

My thoughts on this issue have admittedly gone into overdrive the last few months but that's because it's a live situation with the contract negotiations and I think giving him a five year contract as the highest paid keeper in the world is a massive error that could have hugely negative consequences (I genuinely hope I'm wrong by the way if it happens).
Also, I am still waiting for a logical response in my question about why fans are using the contract negotiations to excuse his woeful form last season.
Ive honestly never before heard of a player being basically let of the hook because the fans think he wasn't getting paid enough.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Spain are wankers for crap like that. Had st.Iker as number one way past his sell by date. So what Spain do doesn’t concern me. What De Gea does doesn’t concern me. He’s better than Kepa without a doubt. We’ve had plenty of Man Utd first team players who couldn’t make their national first teams.

It’s going to be fun quoting nay sayers when he’s back on top form.
When 92% of the Spanish people vote the other way, I'd say there is a slight doubt.

cyberman

Do you not care about our sustainability? Every major new signing will request that kind of money, every top player renewal will be in that region too. Eventually that will affect the level of player we can bring in. It’s also difficult to move players out when they’re on obscene wages. That’s why I give a shit.
We are the richest club in the world. We will never struggle to pay our wages and our high wage structre means Poba etc have few suitors since few clubs would ever improve on our deal. It has it's benefits as well and it will become evident when we have players worth keeping imo

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert

Because when we’re winning games, people tend to concentrate less on stuff like goalkeepers distribution. I’m pretty sure when we drew at Bernabeu and De Gea made an incredible instinctive save with his feet, nobody was having a pop at De Gea’s distribution.
When he kept us in it against Arsenal, at the Emirates, on numerous occasions, no cnut was piping up about how he’s not a good enough on the ball etc. Exactly why it’s a load of bollocks. If we need a goalkeeper to create chances for us, then we’ve got much bigger problems quite frankly.

It’s funny you mention ‘reactionary’, what would you call it if not reactionary the way some are getting on about this new contract and whether her deserves it or not? He’s been our best player, hands down, since Sir Alex left. Of course he deserves it. Ffs.

I’m out.

Paxi

We massively struggle with our attacks. Having a goalkeeper that can help us with distribution and pin-point passes ahead to launch quick counter-attacks would help us massively. It's not mumbo jumbo. A goalkeeper who is good with his feet and a vision for long passes may also help us with assists. Right now De Gea cannot hope to do any of that, and he needs to improve.

We all say the day of defenders just need to be good with defense are over. Nowadays defenders must be good with the ball and build-from-the-back. Look at Liverpool's Roberson, Trent, VVD... They all chip in assists regularly. Why can't the same philosophy be applied to goalkeepers?
We massively struggle in our attacks so it’s imperative our goalkeeper helps us...
Jesus wept.

Maybe we should just coach our forwards as you know it’s their job to attack.

Paxi

I know I would so please don't talk for me. His terrible distribution often results in the opposition easily retrieving the ball and piling on more pressure. He has actually gotten worse at it over time.
DDG excels (for Man United anyway) at a key area which is shot stopping which makes him a world class keeper but not the best overall.
Really? I’ve been reading your posts for a long long time now and I never seen you complaining as much about Dave’s distribution when he was fecking digging us out on his bloody own on countless occasions.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Really? I’ve been reading your posts for a long long time now and I never seen you complaining as much about Dave’s distribution when he was fecking digging us out on his bloody own on countless occasions.
I always have. You can criticize a specific while being impressed with the overall work.

TRUERED89

I hope you're right mate and do quote me.

He's not good with his feet either and he isn't physically imposing at all for a goalkeeper. Hence stays rooted to his line giving me the impression he doesn't fancy a physical altercation with the opposition.

It's easy to see why some posters labelled him a 'pussy' after the loss to Wolves.
Not to mention the 4-0 loss to Everton, which was an even worse display..

Luke1995

I think it has been said enough in here but De Gea is a quite similar goalkeeper to Casillas. Once his sharp reflexes start leaving him, there's not much else to his game that stands out.

A pleasure to watch but concerning the lack of development. Giving him a long new contract is risky although there are very few goalkeepers in the world who can match his ability and they are expensive as hell.

DoomSlayer

I think it has been said enough in here but De Gea is a quite similar goalkeeper to Casillas. Once his sharp reflexes start leaving him, there's not much else to his game that stands out.

A pleasure to watch but concerning the lack of development. Giving him a long new contract is risky although there are very few goalkeepers in the world who can match his ability and they are expensive as hell.
Casillas was an incredible leader though, captain of a World cup winning team.

UncleBob

Im genuinely curious as to why you think me pointing out that distribution is an important attribute for a goalkeeper to possess in the modern era is 'hyperbole'?
"How on earth is expecting your £350,000 a week goalkeeper to be able to pass/throw the ball to a team-mate a load of mumbo jumbo?"

Hyperbole.

minh_loc_xoay

We massively struggle in our attacks so it’s imperative our goalkeeper helps us...
Jesus wept.

Isn’t football a team game? Nowadays forwards have to contribute in defense also by pressing from the front as well as tracking back when necessary. I see people lambasting Pogba or Martial because they are “lazy” and not contributing in pressing/defense.

If attacking players are required to help in defense when the situation asks for it, why can’t goalkeepers contribute in attacks when the team needs? The rule does not forbid the goalkeepers from leaving their penalty box or the goalposts right? Neuer is a prime example. He does not stick to his post but regularly sweeps to the midfield and contributes in attack by creating chances or assisting goals with his pin-point passes.

As the best paid goalkeeper in the world, why we can’t ask De Gea to do the same? Liverpool’s defenders chip in with assists at various points last season is the best proof that attacking is not only the mission of forwards.

We are Manchester United with the philosophy of scoring more goals than opponents. ALL members of the team must aim to create goals, even a goalkeeper. Isn’t that how it should be?

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Because when we’re winning games, people tend to concentrate less on stuff like goalkeepers distribution. I’m pretty sure when we drew at Bernabeu and De Gea made an incredible instinctive save with his feet, nobody was having a pop at De Gea’s distribution.
When he kept us in it against Arsenal, at the Emirates, on numerous occasions, no cnut was piping up about how he’s not a good enough on the ball etc. Exactly why it’s a load of bollocks. If we need a goalkeeper to create chances for us, then we’ve got much bigger problems quite frankly.

It’s funny you mention ‘reactionary’, what would you call it if not reactionary the way some are getting on about this new contract and whether her deserves it or not? He’s been our best player, hands down, since Sir Alex left. Of course he deserves it. Ffs.

I’m out.
Okayyyy, so fans are allowed to go on about saves that he made in this game and that game but we're also not allowed to point out mistakes he has made in big games without being accused of being on some sort of personal vendetta against the lad.

Is it any wonder he is massively overhyped?

Last edited:

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
"How on earth is expecting your £350,000 a week goalkeeper to be able to pass/throw the ball to a team-mate a load of mumbo jumbo?"

Hyperbole.
I would argue someone referring to distribution as mumbo-jumbo, with no real explanation behind it, is more hyperbole than me logically pointing out how that doesn't really make sense.
I guess logic can be offensive if it doesn't correlate with what your own line of thought is, each to their own I suppose.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic

I’m out.
Yes, and when we're not winning games, like we aren't at the minute, people are going to discuss why not, don't really get what your point is with this to be honest.

buckooo1978

I agree but hes another contract in him at least

Think his issues last season were mental...sort the contract, settle the player, more solid goalkeeper back

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Jesus wept.

Nobody is saying that.
People are just making the simple point that in order to justify being called the best in the world and getting paid massive wages because of this, then perhaps they shouldn't have such huge flaws in their game.

For example, Lukaku is a great finisher (the equivalent of shot stopping to a goalkeeper in terms of importance) but he will probably never be known as the best, or even one of the best in the world, because he's lacking in other areas such as his touch.
How is the De Gea situation any different?

buckooo1978

Okayyyy, so fans are allowed to go on about saves that he made in this game and that game but we're also not allowed to point out mistakes he has made in big games without being accused of being on some sort of personal vendetta against the lad.

Is it any wonder he is massively overhyped?
not sure what you are referring to as overhyped or what was said but prior to last years World Cup he was deffo in a group of 4/5 goalkeepers argued as the best in the World (Ederson, Neuer, Oblak, Allison)

that was on the back of consistent incredible performances for several years - not hype

Personally I think hes head wasnt right last year with contract uncertainty - it wasnt like his reflexes went - he was having regular brainfarts - I think we will see De Gea back to be the best in the World as he was (IMO)

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
not sure what you are referring to as overhyped or what was said but prior to last years World Cup he was deffo in a group of 4/5 goalkeepers argued as the best in the World (Ederson, Neuer, Oblak, Allison)

that was on the back of consistent incredible performances for several years - not hype

Personally I think hes head wasnt right last year with contract uncertainty - it wasnt like his reflexes went - he was having regular brainfarts - I think we will see De Gea back to be the best in the World as he was (IMO)
Im still baffled as to why people keep using this as an excuse, and I can't think of any other time it has been for any player.

UncleBob

I would argue someone referring to distribution as mumbo-jumbo, with no real explanation behind it, is more hyperbole than me logically pointing out how that doesn't really make sense.
I guess logic can be offensive if it doesn't correlate with what your own line of thought is, each to their own I suppose.
""How on earth is expecting your £350,000 a week goalkeeper to be able to pass/throw the ball to a team-mate a load of mumbo jumbo?""

Not entirely sure how this is supposed to be interpreted as logic, you're insinuating that a player is unable to pass/throw the ball to team mates. Hyperbole.

Calling it terrible is a bit of a stretch, the comparisons are also ott. Bailly, Lindeløf and Chris Smallings stats for passes completed combined doesn't even match Van Dijks or Laportes' passing alone. Smalling, Lindelof, Shaw and Young managed 3567 passes over the course of the season. Andrew Robertson, Alexander-Arnold, Van Dijk and Matip managed 5406...

Per game we're talking 208 vs 304,5. Paints a decent enough portrait.

The way we set up are entirely different, and it's hardly much of a surprise that Ederson and Alisson have 46,7 and 62,7% more passes, nor that 51% of De Gea's passes are long balls, while Ederson and Alisson are at 14,5% and 21,3%

People are taking things a bit too far. De Gea's passing isn't the root to our defensive issues. It's easy to play around his weaknesses, while it's a bit more complicated (impossible, imho) to ignore defenders that aren't comfortable with the ball at their feet.

Removing Ashley Young from the starting lineup, getting a cb that's comfortable with the ball and intelligent in his positioning and play (pretty much the exact opposite of the disaster that is Smalling and Jones) will go a long way in improving things

Status
Not open for further replies.