De Gea contract talk | Signs new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentP

Now we must all hope that last year was a blip and he can go back to his imperious self.

Hawks2008

He has stuck by us through a difficult period, if anyone deserves a big contract it's him.

meninred

Good news overall..350K + per week I guess. If he left he would probably can get same salary. He could be sold in the future if it doesn't work out.

Hope he improves on few things
1/ penalty saves
2/He may need some more composure.He sometimes seems he has mistakes waiting to happen on him.
3/ more commanding in the penalty area and organize the defense.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
To be honest, there is concern Dave is in downward trajectory as shown during last season, as he is purely reflex type of keeper, which usually doesn't age well. But given that he has been performing at world class level and saving us countless number of times for past 4 or 5 years, and given that he is willing to stay here for long (lets face it we have been shite all these years), we are due to give him the contract he wants, which would make him by far the highest paid keeper in the world.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Over the moon to see Dave staying. We've got the best goalkeeper in the world secured for the rest of his prime. I can't wait to see him back to his best this season.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
It’s not that simple though. This will have a knock on effect on contracts for other players when the GK is getting paid such a ludicrous sum. We were far better of giving him a hefty signing on bonus and a lower salary. Much like Sanchez’s contract, this will cause a lot of issues when other players come to renew. Long term will be far more expensive than just signing another keeper.
I think its bit different from Sanchez situation. Dave has been no.1 keeper in the world for past 4-5 years, his contribution to the team is 2nd to none, and the gap was huge when compared with other keeper. Its like when Messi and Ronaldo are earning mega contracts which is at least 3 or 4 times more than their teammates, no one else will complain.

Kita

Absolutely deserved. He has been a professional, one of the best and overall I think he can be an anchor/leader in the squad to help shape what we want the culture to be.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Delighted we managed to get him signed on a new deal. Wasn’t expecting it to be 6 years tbh. Especially with Dean Henderson about to sign a new contract with ourselves.
In typical fashion we are overrating Henderson. Henderson is a nobody right now. We will see in a couple years how he does.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Leaves a bit of a bad taste, the guy has wanted out virtually since he became a top keeper, it's just circumstance, and lack of offers have stopped it happening.
It's not been easy for him having a gf who for a time was based in Spain? I don't think another club would have got him so yeah we been fortunate but who cares?

Striker10

If it's true it's great! I would disregard what happened last season because the whole team were guilty. We start afresh. Goalkeepers we know can play on for a long time so not really concerned about the length of contract. Besides, if we sold him in 4 he'd still only be 32. People need to remind themselves how good he can be.

TsuWave

Age has nothing to do with it when your are a GK but a lack of command in your box and a clear inability of dealing with crosses does. The last few seasons he has reverted to the keeper we signed, great shot stopper but that's about it. His career is relying on celebrity status and that appears to be enough to be a United player these days. Keeping him on gives the feels of a marquee signing and that appeases the sponsors and some fans. We would be no worse off with Romero in goal.
This is such a bad post. That last sentence...Romero :lol:

klsv

Comedy gold this thread. From Dave being in decline just like Rooney and BFS, to being 'sanchez'd' again. People would really tell him to feck off and give his spot to uncle Romero (aged 32 btw) and Henderson who had a good season in the Championship? Read it again - you would rather decide on a matter like this basing it on Dave's ONE bad season in the EPL and on Henderson's ONE good season in the Championship? Good thing you don't work for the club, feck me...

Who's going to pay that high a wage for a goalie? He will be deadwood in about 3-4 yrs time when his physical dexterity starts to fade.
:lol:

Relfy

6 year contract seems a bit odd considering a few weeks ago he wanted out, or made noises suggesting such. I guess this spells the end of Henderson's united career too.

Hughes35

Torn about this. He's been my fave player for years but last season he was very poor. Whilst a bad year is forgivable, after watching the highlights of the Inter game, it looked like he flapped at several crosses also. Quite concerned about him going into the new season.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
We literally have so many glaring holes in the squad, is GK none of those!

What do people want? Let him leave for free next year? Spend 60-70m looking for a new GK(who may or may not turn out good) and making funds limited for other positions?

He had a dip in form, who doesn't? We have kept hold of a WC player and that's a good deal of business. This is still cheaper than getting a new GK.

Striker10

Torn about this. He's been my fave player for years but last season he was very poor. Whilst a bad year is forgivable, after watching the highlights of the Inter game, it looked like he flapped at several crosses also. Quite concerned about him going into the new season.
I counted 2 but don't he deserve the benefit of the doubt? ..

Decomposing In Paris

OMG, I might finally be done with this forum. The negativity is just unbelievable.

Talk of distribution goes both ways. Our team struggled for fitness recently, so quick distribution out of defence could have put our own team under further pressure. Then we need to look at the players receiving easy short passes: Smalling, Jones... a pass to a defender who isn't great with the ball puts the team under unnecessary pressure in a dangerous area. So De Gea's often had to wait for our team to get in shape (and the opposition) before hitting it long to Fellaini or "King of the first touch" Lukaku.

Football is a team sport, and some people will NEVER understand that. Our keeper, after years of individual brilliance in his role, finally had a patchy season. So people immediately draw negative comparisons with another goalkeeper's long term career trajectory (just because he's of the same nationality) and... complain.

If he was leaving for £5m they'd be having a go at the club.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Happy as long as he doesn't carry on from last season. Get a decent CB or DM in front of him and things could be a lot better.

M Utd

6 year contract seems a bit odd considering a few weeks ago he wanted out, or made noises suggesting such. I guess this spells the end of Henderson's united career too.
I may well be wrong but I've actually never seen a direct quote from him saying anything about leaving. In this day and age that's quite rare. Given all the things that could have pulled him away from the club he has stayed and been a model professional throughout.

Eric's Seagull

We literally have so many glaring holes in the squad, is GK none of those!

What do people want? Let him leave for free next year? Spend 60-70m looking for a new GK(who may or may not turn out good) and making funds limited for other positions?

He had a dip in form, who doesn't? We have kept hold of a WC player and that's a good deal of business. This is still cheaper than getting a new GK.
Good post. I particularly agree with the 2 points in bold. I am really glad we kept hold of him. I agree with your point in bold, if this had happened people would have gone mad. If we payed £70m+ for a replacement there is no reason to say they are going to do really well here.

Since I've been supporting United (25 years) starting with Schmeichel, in my opinion we have have had 3 top class keepers here. Schmeichel, Van Der Sar and De Gea, that is shocking but what puts fear into me is when we lose our brilliant keepers it takes us a massive amount of time to adequately replace them. If De Gea had left, what is not to say this trend isn't going to change and we may have to wait 5 years or more for an adequate replacement. It is hard for a keeper coming to Old Trafford not just the size of the club and the pressure that comes with it but the also the pressure of having to live up to the immense performances of their predecessor.

De Gea had a dip last season in my opinion and made some uncharacteristic errors but I firmly believe he will be back to his best next this season and I think this was the best bit of business we did all summer and I am really happy he signed mate.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Say GKs enters prime at 27-32.. And We only be paying 18 million per year for him..
Sounds acceptable. Im happy and hoping all that dip in form was due to the prolonged contract issues.

Ps: Bless the fax machine.

Lemansky

Very happy about this.

We have so many positions to fill in the team, and it’s very good we are not adding a GK to that list.

DDG has been our best servant for years now. Legend in the making.

UpWithRivers

Again we reward on the back of a poor performance. That's what's worrying. If he continues being sht we we will be stuck with highest paid goalkeeper that we can't sell. Oh well him and Sanchez can go shopping for yahts on match days.

MDFC Manager

This is such glorious news to wake up to :drool:

Well deserved contract, and I've no doubts in my mind that he'll return to his unbreachable best this season!

foolsgold

Let's not forget he also had some amazing games last season. He single handedly win the match away to Spurs

Gopher Brown

Again we reward on the back of a poor performance. That's what's worrying. If he continues being sht we we will be stuck with highest paid goalkeeper that we can't sell. Oh well him and Sanchez can go shopping for yahts on match days.
He’s been our best player for about 6 years now. He’s the only player in the squad you could confidently say is ‘world class,’ he went through a few games of poor form. It was either sign him up now or lose him for free next year. He’d cost £70-90m to replace, and his replacement would almost certainly be a step down.

Have a word with yourself, mate.

ColvaleGoa

Great news. Let's hope De Gea goes into beast mode again. Last year Beast mode was down as it was due a upgrade. Version 2.0 is now ready to launch!

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
OMG, I might finally be done with this forum. The negativity is just unbelievable.

Talk of distribution goes both ways. Our team struggled for fitness recently, so quick distribution out of defence could have put our own team under further pressure. Then we need to look at the players receiving easy short passes: Smalling, Jones... a pass to a defender who isn't great with the ball puts the team under unnecessary pressure in a dangerous area. So De Gea's often had to wait for our team to get in shape (and the opposition) before hitting it long to Fellaini or "King of the first touch" Lukaku.

Football is a team sport, and some people will NEVER understand that. Our keeper, after years of individual brilliance in his role, finally had a patchy season. So people immediately draw negative comparisons with another goalkeeper's long term career trajectory (just because he's of the same nationality) and... complain.

If he was leaving for £5m they'd be having a go at the club.
Football fans are generally idiots. They don't understand players have dips in forms that can take a season or 2 to recover. Footballers are just robots to them who have to perform week in week out just like on their FIFA video games.

De Gea is top class, a dip in form isn't going to change that. This is fantastic news that he's signing a new contract with us.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
That doesn't bother me as much. Most top goalies will have dips.

He started losing me after flirting with RM and refusing to sign contract extensions until it was on the edge. Sure I will support him but its tainted -- he's Rooney with gloves as far as I am concerned now.
If he declines in a few years time, or becomes a relic of a changing style of football or his obvious flaws get even more exploit as the league gets more quality & competitive -- he will be difficult to rid off when he is on 350k per week.

In the big picture, a goalie despite being as good a DDG, will only cement our spiraling wage bills.

There is a hierarchy or pecking order for wages of players. You just have to look at the jerseys sold -- goalie jerseys dont exactly fly off the racks. But now, i can see Pogba asking 500k to stay then by next summer; Rashford will be asking for 1million, being a striker in his next contract in 3 yrs time -- then Greenwood would be on 250k/week at 20 since Rashford is scoring as many goals as him.
Defenders like Macguire....

This wont end well.

Woodzy

Really don’t see what the fuss is about his age. By the time this contract expires, he will be the same age as Van Der Sar when we signed him...

UpWithRivers

He’s been our best player for about 6 years now. He’s the only player in the squad you could confidently say is ‘world class,’ he went through a few games of poor form. It was either sign him up now or lose him for free next year. He’d cost £70-90m to replace, and his replacement would almost certainly be a step down.

Have a word with yourself, mate.
I had a word with myself in the mirror. Came up with a reply....the same argument was said of Sanchez. Boom!

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Sensible deal. We are going through a transition in every other area of the pitch, best not try to bed in a new keeper at the same time too.

JK-27

Great GK for sure, but I hope last season was a blip and not the start of a decline. I'm not sure the deal is that great TBH, Romero has doen well when he's been between the sticks and I would have been happy with him as first choice if De Gea had left.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
what the hell are the newspapers going to do to fill the weekly hole that usually says "Madrid to seal De Gea deal next week" or "PSG eye up de Gea as replacement for xxxx"

Status
Not open for further replies.