De Gea contract talk | Signs new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Would be a stupid move if true, a 6 year contract on those kind of wages, which would make him 100% unsellable also continue to raise the wage expectations of players both at the club and joining the club, which was a massive problem before this deal and will be even bigger problem after it.

He is also come off a down year and Henderson looked great last year.

All round really stupid move for us if true, and really start to show how long this club is going to be in a mess for.

Hughes35

I counted 2 but don't he deserve the benefit of the doubt? ..
I hope so. As I say, I'm torn. Half of me is delighted and the other half if quite wary.

He needs a good opening couple of games this year otherwise it could be a long season and even a long 6 years for him.

He's shown before that he can come back from bad form though, and his quality when in form cannot be questioned.

Dan_F

Would be a stupid move if true, a 6 year contract on those kind of wages, which would make him 100% unsellable also continue to raise the wage expectations of players both at the club and joining the club, which was a massive problem before this deal and will be even bigger problem after it.

All round really stupid move for us if true, and really start to show how long this club is going to be in a mess for.
It’s a tough situation. We either try and sell him now and potentially have to spend 80 million on a replacement or trust Henderson, who’s never played at this level. Or we wait a year, lose him on a free, risk him playing badly because his hearts not in it. Who knows how Henderson will do. May need to spend another 80 million with no incomings.

It’s a lot of money, but I think everyone would have been happy with it before March. Hopefully we can figure out what happened and help him get his mindset right. Personally, I’d make him captain. He might not be the most vocal, but I think he could do with a confidence boost and we don’t really have many options.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
I thought he was a certainty to join Marid or PsG according to the imperious know it all press?

redshaw

what the hell are the newspapers going to do to fill the weekly hole that usually says "Madrid to seal De Gea deal next week" or "PSG eye up de Gea as replacement for xxxx"
Easy

De Gea willing to take a massive pay cut to seal Madrid/PSG move.

RuudTom83

If anyone in the squad deserves the top wage it would be Dave!

A few bad months when everyone in the team was suffering is hardly a fair assessment of his skills as a GK.

If it is 6 years then what a servant he has been to the club...plus playing behind Mike and Phil all these years, he more than earned a payrise.

jackal&hyde

Great news if true. With a better defense in front of him we are going to be very solid next season. Good job United

Grande

Knee jerk reaction: What? Romero has been better in preseason! Dean Henderson is bound to revenge his mistakes in the U21 EC and become the worlds best keeper like all our academy keepers always do! He flapped at a cross yesterday, so he’s probably going to flapp at every cross the next six years! If we pay him close to what we pay Sanchez, logically he must become close to as bad as Sanchez now! The deal was made by United staff, who are incompetent, ergo it must be an incompetent decision regqrdless of how it looks!

Thinking about it: we gave our most consistent player a six year contract? Our only world class player the last five years a world class salary? A football keeper contracted to 34 years of age? Hm. That makes a lot of sense. Can’t be our board’s decision!

Maestro14

OHKO'd a shiny Electrike
Imagine feeling anything other than delighted that our only world-class player has committed to staying with us for another 6 years! Some of you lot are ridiculous. This is great news!

Tiber

Excellent. Locking down our best player since Ronaldo left for 6 more years is great news

Prodigy24

If there's anyone that deserves that amount of money then it's David. Other than last season, he's been immense for the club and saved our asses multiple times over the years. Delighted that he'll stay!

TheLittleOne

This guy has peaked and we are giving him a silly contract. Standard United move.
I really don't think that's the case. He's still too young to decline physically. To me it seems though hes very weak mentally. If he gets criticized too much or makes too many mistakes it affects him (Spain), if he has ongoing contract negotiation it affects him. Doesn't command his box and pussies out of 1v1s. Some use it to defend him "just distracted atm because of contract situation" To me that's a bit worrying. He's still one of my favourite players and i'm happy he stays but i'm not too sure of the importance of keepers and think the team in front of them are much more important. If the numbers are true it's crazy money for a keeper to hold 10 shots a game and not have to run and stuff. What i always wonder is all those great saves he did how many of those would have been held too by Romero or others? impossible to know... Romero is on 60k (if true) is De Gea really 6times as good?

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Glad he's set to stay, so long as last season was a bit of blip and not a sign of things to come. The Spurs game was his last top drawer performance, then came a string of average and very very poor ones. The longer that form went on, the more alarming it became. He needs to get back on it, or we're gonna like like chumps seeing out that 6 year deal.

Let's buy him a half decent centre back to stand behind at least.

Godfather

Glad he's signed. Kind of. Hope the end of last season and the way he has started pre season is not a sign of things to come though.

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games

Really haven't got a clue what I've just read. Thanks for wasting 15 seconds of my life.

Havak

Pokemon master
Great news, it would have been incredibly easy for him to run his contract down and sign for PSG/Juventus on a free and probably earn similar money, once the sign on fee was included. Also, he'd be guaranteed silverware there which is far from the case here right now. We can all debate the money situation, but he deserves to be the best paid goalkeeper and one of our top earners. I think this shows a level of mentality that we want at our club, as I said above, he could easily jump ship and probably be more successful, but he's chosen us and our goal to be great again.

One unfortunate part though is I doubt Henderson will want to play second fiddle and won't continue to be loaned out IMO. We might have to sell him with a buy-back clause as I'd like him back someday if he continues to improve.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
The Glazers are paying him 375k a week. Why should we care how much his contract is worth, bar the ridiculousness of football wages aside.

buckooo1978

we are gambling on De Gea returning to his form of old after a relatively disastrous year

this decision has been made based on what the coaching staff and Ole are seeing so you have to trust them

I've a feeling we will see a much better Dave next season with his future resolved

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Comedy gold this thread. From Dave being in decline just like Rooney and BFS, to being 'sanchez'd' again. People would really tell him to feck off and give his spot to uncle Romero (aged 32 btw) and Henderson who had a good season in the Championship? Read it again - you would rather decide on a matter like this basing it on Dave's ONE bad season in the EPL and on Henderson's ONE good season in the Championship? Good thing you don't work for the club, feck me...

:lol:
Spot on. Bunch of fecking morons.

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
I've read some guff in my time on here, but for people to say this is a bad deal is utter nonsense. He's saved us countless times, has literally, single handedly, gifted us valuable points when we've played utter dreck football. On top of that has consistently been our best player over a number of years, but it's a bad deal?

Do some of you lot actually watch united on a regular basis?

izec

If Mendes is still his agent, he has done a great job here. Shows you how important a great agent is nowadays, played it well financially.

Terminator

Will be delighted if he extends even at 375k a week. 4 times player of the year consecutively and he has done more than enough to deserve this.

AaronRedDevil

Its sickening seeing people bash De gea over his performance in the last 5 games, willing to sell him and saying he's lost it. Even though he's been the only consistent world class player we've had in the last 6 years.

sugar_kane

Undeniably the best shot stopper in the world but still a bit concerned about his all round game.

That said, it was encouraging to see him play out from the back more yesterday. Just needs to learn to come off his line now and then.

Kag

One less situation to deal with. He was shite towards the back end of last season but I’d back him to turn it around. That he’s signing for such a long period gives me hope about the message being spread throughout the club.

Jonty

Hopefully this gets De Gea in the right frame of mind now and he returns to his best form

Halal Jalal

No more excuses now. Dave has been rewarded for his outstanding, long-term service and now it's up to him to turn his form around. We all know that at his best he's the #1 GK in the world, so now that he's also the highest paid, we shouldn't be content with anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.