De Gea contract talk | Signs new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
This is all down to Ed and his mismanagement. Should have sorted this out ages ago.

Peter Brewer

Offer DeGea max 250'
If he dosn't take it, extend Sergio's contract 10 yrs on 200' and sell DeGea.
United shouldn't just attract the ones going for the highest wages.

Acole9

Outstanding
I think it's time to cut the lad loose, we should give Sergio and Granty a chance for the remainder of the season. In the summer I think we should go all out for Alex McCarthy, Butland or Pope.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think it's time to cut the lad loose, we should give Sergio and Granty a chance for the remainder of the season. In the summer I think we should go all out for Alex McCarthy, Butland or Pope.
I hope you're joking.

dove

What about Joe Hart, I heard he is a very talented youngster.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Yeah, couldn't agree more, he's obviously not good enough for us and it's been clear that he never has been, cash in while we have the chance.
white text

Inter Yer Nan

How does letting DDG leave on a free transfer and then buying a replacement for let’s say £100 million, on wages of £300k a week make more financial sense than just giving him £400k a week?
Logic.

Pay Dave what he wants/deserves. He’s also a senior player in the squad so I’m sure he’s great around the club too.

Fridge chutney

You were too cowardly to tag as usual, bit like glory hunting England's greatest team instead of sticking with Dinamo.
You should be thanking Ban. It's international support like his that will correctly allow us to give best keeper in the world DDG a 375k/week contract.

tieunhilang

You guys can keep screaming "best in the world" or your laughing emoji's but the reality is he can't pass, is hopeless on crosses, has cost us in the CL two years in a row and is still really poor on goals like both today. He's good but not close to the best and the wage figures are laughable. As soon as he loses a bit of agility that contract will be one of the worst around.
Not good for De Gea regarding the contract renewal. Lots of strikers got fearful of De Gea thanks to the rumours, so their shots got more hesitation and easier to block. Yesterday Southampton shot with no fear, and De Gea was found out badly, I f... :nervous: His "kryptonite" is surely young, fearless players. That's why Mbappe tormented us so badly in the PSG 1st leg.

deadrevelz

Can't we give him a performance related contract? £250K per week rising to £375K based on clean sheets, xg save data, trophies etc. That way his performances essentially pay for themselves. Not sure if this type of contract is common with keepers.

HankHill

Supports
Ewe Night Tid.
Can't we give him a performance related contract? £250K per week rising to £375K based on clean sheets, xg save data, trophies etc. That way his performances essentially pay for themselves. Not sure if this type of contract is common with keepers.
He's good enough to bankrupt the club.

klsv

Maybe take him on trial?

Peter Brewer

Good point. Performance based contracts should be the norm for all positions.

Ventura

Oh yeah, let's "give" him that. I'm sure he'll be happy to sign that contract.

CM

If the reports of him wanting to match the highest earner are true, I can understand the club's reluctance to do that deal. Sanchez is earning a serious wedge and we can't afford to bow to those kinds of demands every time a top player is up for renewal.

It wouldn't surprise me if we look to quietly move Sanchez on in the summer so that precedent no longer exists.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
If the reports of him wanting to match the highest earner are true, I can understand the club's reluctance to do that deal. Sanchez is earning a serious wedge and we can't afford to bow to those kinds of demands every time a top player is up for renewal.

It wouldn't surprise me if we look to quietly move Sanchez on in the summer so that precedent no longer exists.
We've got players who wouldn't be able to find another top club if they left earning over 100K. This isn't just the result of the Sanchez deal, but years of terrible mismanagement by the board, dishing out wages grossly disproportional to ability, whilst playing the odds with contracts running down.

He's been with us through years of being relatively shite and yet he was world class, the only undisputed world class player. Why wouldn't he ask to be the highest paid player?

I'd also suspect that it's almost assured that Raiola will start making noises soon about Pogba needing much more money.

predator

Youth NITK
This will be an unpopular opinion, but I'd put 300k on the table and if he doesn't take it then he can do one. He's a super keeper on the goal line but he's built in the same mould of Casillas and similar GKs, so we should be careful with losing our heads with a 5 years contract on crazy numbers.

De Gea bases his game on pure reflexes under the posts, but he's lacking in some other areas which are important too. He's a shy keeper at deflecting aerial balls, and we have recurrent problems defending set pieces and crosses year after year partly because of him. He's insecure at anticipating long balls at the back of our defence, and this flaw will be exposed the more offensive we play, as it seems we'll do from on now.

The day he starts losing his feline reflexes he'll become an expensive problem, and someone at the club has to see it coming. It happened with Rooney, it happened with Alexis, and in the future it will happen with De Gea because we don't see the train coming until we're under it.

Also, a player earning... 400k? would set the bar even higher for future transfers and contract renewals. De Gea feels in a strong position here after being the best player for years and it's reasonable, but I think it would be better to improve the team in general to depend on the keeper doing magic saves, less and less every time. I have the feeling that certain agents have been doing whatever they want with us for many years, and they go so confident to negotiations asking for the moon.

The way I see it we should show the muscle as a club for once and set the conditions here, for many reasons - 300k and 3 years of contract. And bin Alexis in the summer wherever and however so the 350k shit stops being brought time and time again. Honestly I feel tired of seeing some smart guys negotiate and play with us like we were a plastic toy. Let's show the balls for once and if we lose the keeper we'll find another one, surely more human under the posts but maybe more balanced and complete in the general play, and without asking for silly things.
Such a great post this. So against the norm and detailed but crucially, for me anyway, includes the respectable trait of 'this is just my opinion'.

Anyway I agree with you and I must admit you've opened my eyes regarding our Angelic GK that is De Gea. I love the guy and hope he stays with us but we shouldn't let him bend us over because not only everything you posted being correct but also who is going to snatch him away from us?

CM

We've got players who wouldn't be able to find another top club if they left earning over 100K. This isn't just the result of the Sanchez deal, but years of terrible mismanagement by the board, dishing out wages grossly disproportional to ability, whilst playing the odds with contracts running down.

He's been with us through years of being relatively shite and yet he was world class, the only undisputed world class player. Why wouldn't he ask to be the highest paid player?

I'd also suspect that it's almost assured that Raiola will start making noises soon about Pogba needing much more money.
I don't disagree. The point I'm making is if the intention is to remove Sanchez from the equation in the summer, we could still make de Gea our highest earner without matching those stupid wages.

VictoriaRed

I love Dave; he's been outstanding for us. However, if he wants to go, then he goes. That being said, isn't Dean Henderson having a blinder in the Championship with Sheffield United? I know it's not the Premiership, but Dave was suspect we came here, too. Haven't there been some big clubs having sniff around Henderson?

deadrevelz

Oh yeah, let's "give" him that. I'm sure he'll be happy to sign that contract.
Why wouldn't he? If he thinks he's worth £375K a week, then he must think he is capable of EARNING it. Other players sign performance related contracts, why shouldn't goalies?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I don't disagree. The point I'm making is if the intention is to remove Sanchez from the equation in the summer, we could still make de Gea our highest earner without matching those stupid wages.
I agree, made the point too, we not only need to get rid of Sanchez because he contributes hardly anything but also because his wages will no doubt affect the dressing room and other negotiations. That being said, the club cannot simply act as if it never happened. A player who had done nothing for United came in and instantly was earning more than everyone else and then proceeded to do nothing for the club. This will quite logically have the effect that people who have actually contributed will start asking for parity.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Can see this happening with recent contract Rashford and Martial are earning 150k and 200k/wk. Players who are tens or hundreds better than them out there. While with DDG, you can count maybe in one hand.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I think the agents will have taken advantage of the fact that we've been struggling and have needed to keep the players we want to keep. If they started jumping ship it'd look terrible and be incredibly difficult to recover from, especially considering there's been obvious issues in our team that have needed sorting out for a good while on top of that, plus a number of transfers that haven't worked out. I guess they played hardball knowing we had money and needed to keep em.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Just can't imagine a world where Dave should be the best paid player in English football. I mean, we all love him, but he's not literally the most valuable player in the league.

Also, who is going to offer him that? Madrid, Barca, City, Bayern don't need him. Maybe PSG but would he take a step backwards in his career? It's crass, but we are kind of his best bet in terms of getting paid a lot. We could easily make him the best paid keeper in world football, and tbh that really should be enough.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think the agents will have taken advantage of the fact that we've been struggling and have needed to keep the players we want to keep. If they started jumping ship it'd look terrible and be incredibly difficult to recover from, especially considering there's been obvious issues in our team that have needed sorting out for a good while on top of that, plus a number of transfers that haven't worked out. I guess they played hardball knowing we had money and needed to keep em.
Agents of a host of decent players. If they had played hardball and gone we'd probably be better off, with regards to quite a few of them. I think it's more plausible that the common denominator is mismanagement at board level. Of course, when there is palpable incompetence at the head of a major business such as ours, of course agents will take advantage.

Wonder what's going on with that DoF appointment..

MUM

Hope this tonight, nudges him to sign on the dotted line.

Status
Not open for further replies.