De Gea contract talk | Signs new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
So They signed Cortouis for only one year and that's it?

Doesn't make sense. He'll stay. Madrid has much a bigger problem up front and in the middle.

cyberman

You can tell this is nonsense since the Zidane was put forward as the reason why they didn't want to sign David and now he's back...whats changed?
Easy story to magic up from thin air

Irrational.

I have a feeling he's off this summer.

He's had ample time to sign a new deal and he's done nothing but stall. I don't think money is the issue (though Sanchez being on obscene wages doesn't help). I think he wants to return to Madrid and win trophies.

If he ends up staying then great, if not then all the best to him. He's given us some good years and great performances. He didn't let the Madrid speculation affect him and gave us his all.

If Kepa is worth £75 million then we should be looking for £100 million+ and no less, or a player plus cash deal.

Darlington Padgett

He's had ample time to sign a new deal and he's done nothing but stall. I don't think money is the issue (though Sanchez being on obscene wages doesn't help). I think he wants to return to Madrid and win trophies.

If he ends up staying then great, if not then all the best to him. He's given us some good years and great performances. He didn't let the Madrid speculation affect him and gave us his all.

If Kepa is worth £75 million then we should be looking for £100 million+ and no less, or a player plus cash deal.
He has one year left on his contract, he'll probably go for 50-75 million.

ash_86

If real want Ddg , we can swap him with Courtois plus money . I wouldn't lose sleep over that deal .

Cloud7

I’m beginning to feel like this as well. The club knows how valuable he is to us, they wouldn’t try to skimp him on wages.

It sounds a bit tinfoil hat, but I think the delay has been him monitoring the situation with Madrid. Like if they stuck with Lopetegui or Solari for example, versus someone like Zidane going back. If they stuck by a mediocre manager come the summer he probably would have resigned with us, but now that Zidane’s back I can see the temptation again. At the end of the day, he has always been open to a move to Madrid.

Still, if he does go it’s not the end of the world. At the end of the day he is a goalkeeper. He’s the best shot stopper in the world, yes, but other teams cope without him. Upgrade our defense, which we need to do anyway, and we’ll be fine. I doubt we’ll go down the Liverpool route of buying awful keeper after awful keeper. We’ll probably go for someone like Oblak, or some other class keeper that I don’t know about.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
If real want Ddg , we can swap him with Courtois plus money . I wouldn't lose sleep over that deal .
I would, there’s a reason they don’t want him. If Dave is definitely off we should try for Oblak, i.e the next best. If we can’t get him then Romero has probably earned a shot. We have more pressing areas of the team to address imo.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
United have messed up the negotiations, this should have been sorted a year ago.
Seems to happen quite a lot at our club. Similar to Arsenal in the Wenger days. It's a sign of poor management and structure. Someone is not keeping tabs on contract situations and negotiating properly.

ash_86

I would, there’s a reason they don’t want him. If Dave is definitely off we should try for Oblak, i.e the next best. If we can’t get him then Romero has probably earned a shot. We have more pressing areas of the team to address imo.
Courtois has been a very good keeper in the pl behind Ddg for years . Maybe expectation wise it didn't work out for him at Madrid . I'd take him instead of spending 100m on oblak

Morpheus 7

Seems to happen quite a lot at our club. Similar to Arsenal in the Wenger days. It's a sign of poor management and structure. Someone is not keeping tabs on contract situations and negotiating properly.
Yeah, whatever way we spin it United haggled with the best keeper out there. They may get punished now, may have to settle for a downgrade. Stupid bstards will have to pay out more on a replacement.

2 man midfield

Courtois has been a very good keeper in the pl behind Ddg for years . Maybe expectation wise it didn't work out for him at Madrid . I'd take him instead of spending 100m on oblak
I never really got the fuss if I’m honest. I thought he was good at Atletico, mind. Maybe it was because I only saw him in the CL or whatever but watching him for Chelsea, he always seemed a bit overrated. As for the last sentence of your post, I’d rather give Romero the chance than try for Courtois. Admittedly though it would be significantly easier to sign Courtois than Oblak.

Thiagoal

Give an example of a player that's run down their contract to such an extent we had to sell or release them on a free?

BlueHaze

Doesn't Oblak have a £80m clause? If David goes he is simply the one to replace him.

ash_86

I never really got the fuss if I’m honest. I thought he was good at Atletico, mind. Maybe it was because I only saw him in the CL or whatever but watching him for Chelsea, he always seemed a bit overrated. As for the last sentence of your post, I’d rather give Romero the chance than try for Courtois. Admittedly though it would be significantly easier to sign Courtois than Oblak.
I don't fancy him much either but he's been at top club in pl and has been good for them in years he played for them . Knows the league and is easier to get . We absolutely can't spend 100m on oblak with the amount of rebuild we're looking at . Romero is a very good #2 but I'd be shit scared to go into the season as primary keeper, Especially with our defence . Courtois makes sense on all levels if Ddg does go .

So player gets offered a huge pay increase, won’t sign, so it’s the clubs fault? That’s a bizarre perspective...
We should have sorted his contract before Sanchez came in, the wages Sanchez is on have clearly disrupted our negotiations with him.

AndyJ1985

Romero is a good 'keeper so I'm not too worried. We have far more pressing matters that need seeing to in the team. Such as getting a functional right side, or a consistent striker, or a good centre back, or some players with creativity, or players who are competent at passing under pressure without wetting themselves

SATA

I won't sleep over it especially him stalling over the new contract. Swap deal with Thibaut and he can go if he wants to

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
So They signed Cortouis for only one year and that's it?

Doesn't make sense. He'll stay. Madrid has much a bigger problem up front and in the middle.
except that Zidane doesn't rate him - and from all reports he's been poor

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
It was too much to expect it to go away. I reckon he'll go this time but for me his form this year has dipped and at time he didn't seem that as invested in the club as before. If we get a fortune for him, we should be able to find a very good replacement. We have much bigger problems in other positions

The only way I can see Madrid showing strong interest in DDG is they know 1.He is desperate for the move and 2.They have a reasonable idea of the fee we've put on DDG head.

With Madrids' current issues I wouldn't class the goal keeper situation as a major priority for them,though.So these links are alittle surprising if they are from reliable sources.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Give an example of a player that's run down their contract to such an extent we had to sell or release them on a free?
We will very rarely be forced to sell or let go for free a player because we can simply offer them more money. Arsenal didn't have luxury and lost so many of their players under Wenger. Contract mismanagement leads to over spending on wages for us, rather than losing of players.

One clear sign that we don't have our things in order is that Herrera is in our starting midfield and can leave for free at the end of the season. That is a cardinal sin of contract management in football. No key player should be in such a strong negotiation position.

Morpheus 7

So player gets offered a huge pay increase, won’t sign, so it’s the clubs fault? That’s a bizarre perspective...
It's the clubs fault for not offering our best player a top contract, he's been here since 2011. It's not the first contract we have let run down. It's not a bizarre perspective to be pissed off with losing our best player, anyone will be a step down from Dave. People can twist it that it's Sanchez's wages ect.. but ultimately comes down to poor planning from Ed and the Glazers. I hate how the club is being run, it's all reactionary, penny pinching and lacking real vision. I'm fcking sick of it, also sick of people in here downplaying the situation. We will have trouble embedding a new goalkeeper and won't be Dave's level.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Herrera wants an improved contract. This will be the last big contract he will sign and he rightly deserves improved wages.

De Gea wants parity with Sanchez.If the board does not want to meet his demands, they can sell him.
Romero is a very suitable replacement.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Herrera wants an improved contract. This will be the last big contract he will sign and he rightly deserves improved wages.

De Gea wants parity with Sanchez.If the board does not want to meet his demands, they can sell him.
Romero is a very suitable replacement.
Isn't it great that Herrera wants an improved contract when he can threaten leaving on a free. That surely couldn't have been foreseen.

SATA

No thanks. Poisonous character and nowhere as good as he thinks he is.
He knows the PL and is better than the other goalkeeper they have. Oblak is going to cost about 90-100m. Thibaut is the best we can do if Madrid don't want him and comes for De Gea. I don't trust Romero as first choice really

2 man midfield

I wouldn't put it past Madrid offering a similar deal to the one offered during the Fax Machine kerfuffle.
Navas+ 20/30 million.
I wouldn’t put it past Ole telling them to suck his fat one. If they come in with derisory offers like that again, I’d genuinely rather bench him and let him go for nothing.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Isn't it great that Herrera wants an improved contract when he can threaten leaving on a free. That surely couldn't have been foreseen.
Under Van Gaal and Mourinho he was a bit player. He refused to sign a contact extension last season on the same terms primarily because he was not played regularly. What tragedy his prime years were so wasted by two idiot managers.
He clearly loves playing for Ole. He rightly wants an improved contract and I believe he will get it.
If we don't give it, the board are idiots.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
I'm not buying Madrid's interest, it's media bullshit based on Zidanes return and him dropping Courtois. Zidane was always happy with Navas, it was people behind the scenes that wanted a shiny new goalkeeper, hence the constant rumours yet they only signed one once Zidane left. Now that he's back and Courtois is out of form it makes sense that he would play Navas, they won three champions leagues together after all.

MAME DIOUF 32

It may be that there's nothing the club can do here. He's stuck with us for the last 5 years as arguably the best goalkeeper in the world without getting anywhere near a league title, let alone a Champions League. If he wants to go then I can only thank him and wish him the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.