De Gea contract talk | Signs new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_toad

We should have sorted his contract before Sanchez came in, the wages Sanchez is on have clearly disrupted our negotiations with him.
Pure speculation, we know nothing of Dave’s stance on negotiations nor his long term plans. Club have been negotiating with him for what seems like forever.
Only thing we do know is he wants more than is on offer.

Devils11

Let him go if Madrid can pay 70m. Not going to pay 300k per week for a keeper however good he is. We have some of the best young keepers in Joel and Deano. Give them a chance like we gave De Gea when he was 20.
Selling De Gea and Sanchez would open up the wage budget for next season.

StrettyEnder07

Question for you guys, I have just been absolutely hammered on Twitter for saying that given a year/18 months, Dean Henderson could be ready to be given a chance as our number 1 (just my opinion don't go crazy haha).

He has been superb for Sheff United this year, starred for all age levels for England and IMO could easily be at least as good as Pickford sooner rather than later. De Gea was nowhere near the finished article when we stuck by him, just want to get peoples thoughts on Hendo and if fans who actually watch him (not half on Twitter who think it is Football Manager) think he will be good enough.

For me he is in the same bracket potential wise as our best young players and if DDG does stay beyond this summer, love to see him given a full season at a half decent Premier League club.

For me, I think he will bypass Pickford and be England's number 1 for a quite a while, obviously staying injury free and keeping his head on his shoulders.

Any thoughts?

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Question for you guys, I have just been absolutely hammered on Twitter for saying that given a year/18 months, Dean Henderson could be ready to be given a chance as our number 1 (just my opinion don't go crazy haha).

He has been superb for Sheff United this year, starred for all age levels for England and IMO could easily be at least as good as Pickford sooner rather than later. De Gea was nowhere near the finished article when we stuck by him, just want to get peoples thoughts on Hendo and if fans who actually watch him (not half on Twitter who think it is Football Manager) think he will be good enough.

For me he is in the same bracket potential wise as our best young players and if DDG does stay beyond this summer, love to see him given a full season at a half decent Premier League club.

For me, I think he will bypass Pickford and be England's number 1 for a quite a while, obviously staying injury free and keeping his head on his shoulders.

Any thoughts?
Being at least as good as Pickford is no endorsement whatsoever

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Obvious Mendes ploy. I hope Ed isn't stupid enough to fall for it.

Zidane doesn't have unlimited funds, but he does need to get quite a few players. It doesn't make sense to use a large part of his budget on a goal keeper where it's not an immediate need.

Besides, he likes Navas a lot.

Love Dave but that kind of money is insane.

Nero

Obvious Mendes ploy. I hope Ed isn't stupid enough to fall for it.

Zidane doesn't have unlimited funds, but he does need to get quite a few players. It doesn't make sense to use a large part of his budget on a goal keeper where it's not an immediate need.

Besides, he likes Navas a lot.

Love Dave but that kind of money is insane.
Exactly my thoughts. Obvious Mendes leak is obvious. Trying to get United to pay up.

Jazz

Exactly my thoughts. Obvious Mendes leak is obvious. Trying to get United to pay up.
You would think Mendes and Jose would change their tactics. Becoming too transparent now.

At the end of the day, Dave needs to make a firm decision if he wants to stay or go. We can't keep having this almost every year. Someone at United needs to be firm and ask him to decide. Give him a timeframe. We can't afford this distraction as we really need to get going for next season.

What United has offered him already is more than enough. I really doubt he would get that anywhere else.

pascell

Why do people want us to get rid of De Gea? He's carried us through the past 3 managers, stuck with us whilst we churned out shite season after season post SAF and is a world class goalkeeper. He deserved to be paid what Sanchez is because he's consistent with his performances, our only player that can say that after the past 4-5 seasons.

AJ10

Why do people want us to get rid of De Gea? He's carried us through the past 3 managers, stuck with us whilst we churned out shite season after season post SAF and is a world class goalkeeper. He deserved to be paid what Sanchez is because he's consistent with his performances, our only player that can say that after the past 4-5 seasons.
Most likely due to saving goals not being a thing anymore but passing being important for keepers now, according to some. :rolleyes:

Jazz

No one wants to get rid of Dave. However, £400,000 or whatever crazy sum he's asking for is insane. Really bad business and limits us. We need players and we also need to pay them.

What we should do is get rid of Sanchez asap and get some balance back to the wage structure.

I mean, do you really think he's worth all that money? That's Messi/Ronaldo level sort of wages.

Jazz

And I must also say, if Dave is sincere about his love for the club, why does he have his agent holding us hostage when the club has offered him an enormous amount already. Doesn't sit well with me sorry.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
And I must also say, if Dave is sincere about his love for the club, why does he have his agent holding us hostage when the club has offered him an enormous amount already. Doesn't sit well with me sorry.
Because it's a job and he does not love the club in the same way a fan does.

I love my job but if a much better one was offered to me, I'd probably take it.

48 hours

Any thoughts?
Can’t say I’ve watched him closely whilst he’s been on his various loans, but if he is highly rated by the club and Dave leaves, I wouldn’t be against having him be the back up to Romero and letting him play in the cups etc to see how he copes

Jazz

Because it's a job and he does not love the club in the same way a fan does.

I love my job but if a much better one was offered to me, I'd probably take it.
Fine then. If he doesn't want to take the very generous offer on the table from us, and if he sees a better opportunity, then no one will begrudge him. I just want him to make up his mind and not waste our time. I also don't want us to be conned by his agent. We need to stand firm imho.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
No news other than that above from the now clueless albino Cadbury’s creme?

Bojan11

It’s his last big contract. I would be holding the club to ransom if I saw a bum like Sanchez earning so much.

If De Gea leaves, then they would have to get rid of Courtois. I would take him here. Still a very good premier league goalkeeper despite some of his limitations.

duffer

Scout
Fine then. If he doesn't want to take the very generous offer on the table from us, and if he sees a better opportunity, then no one will begrudge him. I just want him to make up his mind and not waste our time. I also don't want us to be conned by his agent. We need to stand firm imho.
It's going to be tough to stand firm really in this situation. What does the club do, offer him £300K a week and say "take it or leave it"?

Jazz

It’s his last big contract. I would be holding the club to ransom if I saw a bum like Sanchez earning so much.

If De Gea leaves, then they would have to get rid of Courtois. I would take him here. Still a very good premier league goalkeeper despite some of his limitations.
And we are offering him a hell of a lot of money. The club isn't being stingy. Yes Sanchez is a problem but that doesn't mean Dave is worth the money he wants. If he can't compromise and he can find a better deal then fine. I'm just tired of the constant speculation.

Jazz

It's going to be tough to stand firm really in this situation. What does the club do, offer him £300K a week and say "take it or leave it"?
Yes that's what they should do imho. I think they've actually offered upwards of £350,00 per wk. How is that not generous? If that's still not enough for him, then like I said, he is welcome to accept a better offer. However, the club should not give him anymore.

duffer

Scout
Yes that's what they should do imho. I think they've actually offered upwards of £350,00 per wk. How is that not generous? If that's still not enough for him, then like I said, he is welcome to accept a better offer. However, the club should not give him anymore.
De Gea can quite realitically call himself Man United's best player over the past 5 years. He will probably ask to be the best paid (or at least the same).

Jazz

De Gea can quite realitically call himself Man United's best player over the past 5 years. He will probably ask to be the best paid (or at least the same).
I don't care what he thinks. We have offered him a lot of money. More than enough. We still need to operate within a budget. There's no oil under the OT pitch. We also have other needs to address in the squad.

I'm sorry it's happening with Dave, but I don't think we should cave in. The offer is more than generous. It's not like the club will be paying him a fiver a week.

duffer

Scout
I don't care what he thinks. We have offered him a lot of money. More than enough. We still need to operate within a budget. There's no oil under the OT pitch. We also have other needs to address in the squad.

I'm sorry it's happening with Dave, but I don't think we should cave in. The offer is more than generous. It's not like the club will be paying him a fiver a week.
It's obviously not more than enough or he would have signed. Man United can easily afford to pay him the same as Alexis Sanchez, they just don't want to.

There's no oil under Old Trafford but there are hundreds of millions of fans around the world buying all sorts of branded products and that's better than oil or gas because it won't run out and is not reliant on a particular owner.

Jazz

It's obviously not more than enough or he would have signed. Man United can easily afford to pay him the same as Alexis Sanchez, they just don't want to.

There's no oil under Old Trafford but there are hundreds of millions of fans around the world buying all sorts of branded products and that's better than oil or gas because it won't run out and is not reliant on a particular owner.
Fine. We agree to disagree. He's not worth £400,000 - £500,000 per week. He just isn't, and we should not budge, Sanchez or no Sanchez.

duffer

Scout
Fine. We agree to disagree. He's not worth £400,000 - £500,000 per week. He just isn't, and we should not budge, Sanchez or no Sanchez.
When you replace him with Courtois who would be on £300K a week and he's getting nutmegged every other week you'll wish you shelled out that extra!

Jazz

When you replace him with Courtois who would be on £300K a week and he's getting nutmegged every other week you'll wish you shelled out that extra!
I doubt very much we'd replace him with Courtois:lol:
Courtois can't be away from his kid in Spain:D

Love you Duffers, but I just disagree. Still, I hope it works out somehow. Besides, I believe Madrid don't really intend to use their funds on a goal keeper ( I could be wrong of course!). I reckon he has less options than what is being portrayed, if all he wants is a big wage packet.

sugar_kane

If we’re gonna pay him half a mill per week he best work on his passing. Absolute shit show the last couple of seasons.

He’s saved us so much since Fergie left but I’d honestly rather we spent the money on improving the rest of our team so we didn’t need a super human shot stopper to bail us out every other game.

pascell

Most likely due to saving goals not being a thing anymore but passing being important for keepers now, according to some. :rolleyes:
He's worth 12 pintsp a season on his own, you can't turn away that kind of quality.

No one wants to get rid of Dave. However, £400,000 or whatever crazy sum he's asking for is insane. Really bad business and limits us. We need players and we also need to pay them.

What we should do is get rid of Sanchez asap and get some balance back to the wage structure.

I mean, do you really think he's worth all that money? That's Messi/Ronaldo level sort of wages.
A few on here do, apparently we'll be fine with Romero and we've got Henderson and Pereira for in a couple of years time.

How do we know that's actually what he's asking for? None of us know, we're going off what journalists are feeding us, they can get things wrong.

I agree we need to get rid of Sanchez as he's not performing according to his pay.

I do think he's worth all that money, when the likes of Bale are being paid €500-600k, why not?

Canagel

Let him go if Madrid can pay 70m. Not going to pay 300k per week for a keeper however good he is. We have some of the best young keepers in Joel and Deano. Give them a chance like we gave De Gea when he was 20.
Yep. romero is a good keeper too and I won't mind if we gave him the number 1 spot. DDG and Sanchez off the wage bill will really give us good chance to strengthen in key areas of the team.

lysglimt

Scout
Sorry but I have a hard time understanding your logic. Why do you have a problem paying the best goalkeeper in the world £15 million a year ? In order to get a goalkeeper anywhere near his level - we first would have to pay £40-50 million (at best) - and if we are lucky, they would only get half his wages. So you want to spend £40 million to save £7.5 million in wages each year for a goalkeeper who may not even turn out to be good ?

And if you had stopped at Dean Henderson fine - but Joel Perreira ? The guy has played a little over 20 matches for small clubs - you can't seriously mention him as an alternative to take over from DDG.

CM

I think if the Madrid interest was genuine we would all know by now. When they were actually trying to pursue him, the rumours were incessant and it felt a lot more ominous than this.

Zidane may or may not favour Courtois in the long-term but he's always quite liked Navas, hasn't he? I'm not entirely convinced Madrid will be in a rush to replace either of them.

Enigma_87

You know who
He's the Spanish no.1, is from Madrid, Navas is approaching his mid-30s and it seems Zidane does not like Courtois.
Can't see Madrid spending 150m pounds for 2 keepers anytime soon, especially considering they have to fill many voids in the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.