De Gea contract talk | Signs new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
They didn’t want to splash the money last time they had the chance. They won’t spend it now on a gk when they’ve already got 2 good ones. It’s just castles being a dick.

Devils11

Sorry but I have a hard time understanding your logic. Why do you have a problem paying the best goalkeeper in the world £15 million a year ? In order to get a goalkeeper anywhere near his level - we first would have to pay £40-50 million (at best) - and if we are lucky, they would only get half his wages. So you want to spend £40 million to save £7.5 million in wages each year for a goalkeeper who may not even turn out to be good ?

And if you had stopped at Dean Henderson fine - but Joel Perreira ? The guy has played a little over 20 matches for small clubs - you can't seriously mention him as an alternative to take over from DDG.
If we have to buy another 40m keeper to replace De Gea, forget it then. My point is letting our talented youngsters have a chance especially home grown Deano. If De Gea is to sign a new fat 4 years contract and Deano decide to leave us in search of first team football, then it is a no no for me. I have never seen Deano played before but all reports show he is a very talented keeper, we never know maybe he could develop and become better than De Gea, right?

De Gea is a world class stopper but not yet in the same league as our greatest Schmeichel, who is so great at organising our back 4 through his shouting and berating. His passion to not conceal nay goal is second to none. I love De Gea as our keeper but something just not right about him with me, be it those rumours of his affection to play in Spain to be with wife or playing for a team with more chance of silverware etc... I don't know. He just doesn't connect with me as well as Schmeichel does in terms of his passion for his games. That just my personal feels.

Last edited by a moderator:

cyril C

I don't trust any of this rumour.

Let's look at RM's reality. They WANT to rebuild their stadium which will cost 3/4 billion, and they couldn't get Madrid city council to fund it.

ZZ demands funding to rebuild the squad, 200-300m I believe, which they need to buy a world class winger/striker - Hazard, replace Ramos and Marcello (eventually), possibly Benzema & Modric in 2 years time. Do you really think they will spend 100m on a goal keeper? When they already have 2 world class keepers?

Call my bluff.

Devils11

Not sure what on De Gea mind. Maybe he is looking to leave free at the end of next season and sign for Madrid or PSG for more money. Will Utd let him go free or sell now for some money if De Gea doesn't want to sign?

Fridge chutney

Every year we hear that DDG is off.

I imagine we won't announce any new contracts until Ole has been announced. At which point I imagine the club will announce new deals for DDG and Herrera.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

I imagine we won't announce any new contracts until Ole has been announced. At which point I imagine the club will announce new deals for DDG and Herrera.
We did announced the biggest contact renewal of them all......Jones's

cyril C

Even AFTER DDG renew his contract, there will still be story about RM interests in DDG.... I believe some pundits are paid to write story like this...

StrettyEnder07

Can’t say I’ve watched him closely whilst he’s been on his various loans, but if he is highly rated by the club and Dave leaves, I wouldn’t be against having him be the back up to Romero and letting him play in the cups etc to see how he copes
Seen him quite a lot for Sheff United this year and he has been absolutely class, I know he wanted guarantees before signing a new deal at United, there was talk he could get called up for the England squad but between him and Romero as you say, could save us a fortune as 100m on Oblak, no thanks

GM K

I love DDG. God knows I do.

But if he wants out, let him go. And I will say the same for any other player.

If we build a more solid team, having a slightly weaker goalkeeper won't hurt too much.

StrettyEnder07

If we have to buy another 40m keeper to replace De Gea, forget it then. My point is letting our talented youngsters have a chance especially home grown Deano. If De Gea is to sign a new fat 4 years contract and Deano decide to leave us in search of first team football, then it is a no no for me. I have never seen Deano played before but all reports show he is a very talented keeper, we never know maybe he could develop and become better than De Gea, right?

De Gea is a world class stopper but not yet in the same league as our greatest Schmeichel, who is so great at organising our back 4 through his shouting and berating. His passion to not conceal nay goal is second to none. I love De Gea as our keeper but something just not right about him with me, be it those rumours of his affection to play in Spain to be with wife or playing for a team with more chance of silverware etc... I don't know. He just doesn't connect with me as well as Schmeichel does in terms of his passion for his games. That just my personal feels.
Totally agree on Deano, said this on Twitter on got hammered by the "Footy Manager" United fans on there who think we have 500m to spend every summer.

If and it is a huge if, De Gea did leave, I would love to see how Deano developed, he could probably do with a full season in the Premier League on loan but I love his confidence, wanted guarantees before signing a new deal, has been through all the levels with England now established in the U21s, has in my opinion been the best keeper in the Championship this year, which includes Butland.

He is ready for the step up and he will be playing Premier League football next year, at 22 he could become a top world class keeper but if we went and paid 100m for Oblak, Deano would probably look elsewhere.

Got hammered yesterday for saying love seeing youth given a chance at United, Deano would be my shout ahead of Romero (I know seems harsh as he has been class), and defo Pereira.

United_We_Stand

"United are willing to pay De Gea £350,000-a-week, almost double his current £200,000-a-week salary, in order to keep him in the Premier League.
However the 28-year-old's representatives want closer to £500,000-a-week, which has proved a stumbling block to an extension being agreed."

Mick321

:lol: These figures are obscene. Even the one we are rumoured to be offering! All for a goalie that can't pass and is frightened of coming off his line. Nuts.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
£500k a week, surely not :eek: if he got that, where would that place him among Europe's top earners?

Canagel

"United are willing to pay De Gea £350,000-a-week, almost double his current £200,000-a-week salary, in order to keep him in the Premier League.
However the 28-year-old's representatives want closer to £500,000-a-week, which has proved a stumbling block to an extension being agreed."
I hope we don't cave in. DDG and his team are mad.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I love Dave like I've loved any United player in the past but we need to have conviction in our own direction as a club not to give in to those type of demands.

reddevil702

If talks are this far apart and United feel as if DDG will not budge then the summer transfer fee would be closer to 35 - 40 mill. Just look at the fee paid for Courtois. RM could easily recoup this and more by selling Courtois & Navas, so it wouldn't affect their overall transfer budget. Then there is other clubs like PSG & Juve which could realistically afford him.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
The journo's dont have a clue what's going on, it's all guess work. A few months ago it wasn't wages that were the problem it was agent fees, then it was wages and we wouldn't go to 350k and now it's we'll go to 350 but not 500k

ForestRGoinUp

If (big If) it's true that he is asking for that type of money, then I would see it as a pretty clear indication that he wants a move away. We've likely already put multiple offers in front of him that would make him by far the highest paid keeper in the world, and one of the highest paid players period. If his stance is to hold firm on unrealistic demands, then we know what end goal ultimately is...

deafepl

If (big If) it's true that he is asking for that type of money, then I would see it as a pretty clear indication that he wants a move away. We've likely already put multiple offers in front of him that would make him by far the highest paid keeper in the world, and one of the highest paid players period. If his stance is to hold firm on unrealistic demands, then we know what end goal ultimately is...

He already is. If he signs extension contract, he'd be earning more than Ter stegen, Courtois, Allison, Oblak combined. Madass.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This situation is a weird one. On one hand DDG is easily amongst the top 3 GKs in the world today, there's an argument to be made for him being the best. On the other hand his biggest strengths are his reflexes and quick movement on the line, both of which will deteriorate as he gets older. His command of the box, defensive organization and ball distribution have never been the best so I don't see him being absolutely world class for as long as VDS was, I think he'll follow a similar trajectory as Casillas, where with age his status as being among the best in the world will change. So to pay him such a high wage is a bit risky, but then replacing him is gonna cost us a bomb.

It might be an unpopular opinion but I would let him run down his contract next season, he's a pro and I don't think his performances will suffer because he's about to leave, and let him go for a free at the end of next season. In the meantime let Henderson play a season in the PL on loan and replace DDG with him for the 2020/21 season. If Henderson struggles in the PL, we could always buy a new GK in the next summer because this summer, I feel we have a lot of issues we need to address and its better to invest money in other positions.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If he's asking for £500k a week, then we should sell him to the highest bidder.

devilish

Those suggesting we let him go do not remember the dark days of Carroll, Howard, Bosnich, Foster, Taibi and the rest of the clowns whom we tried to replace Schmeichel with. May I also remind that the present defence (and team) is way worse then the one we witnessed at the time. Compared to Jones, Wes Brown was prime Baresi.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Those suggesting we let him go do not remember the dark days of Carroll, Howard, Bosnich, Foster, Taibi and the rest of the clowns whom we tried to replace Schmeichel with. May I also remind that the present defence (and team) is way worse then the one we witnessed at the time. Compared to Jones, Wes Brown was prime Baresi.
I think we did learn from our mistakes and signed a 20 year old keeper from Atletico for big money.

devilish

I think we did learn from our mistakes and signed a 20 year old keeper from Atletico for big money.
We tried to emulate the same trick before and it didn't work. Top GKs who can handle the pressure at United are very rare. DDG himself was lucky to have top defenders in front of him to help him settle down. These days we've got Jones, Bailly and Smalling with wingers covering the fullback role.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
We tried to emulate the same trick before and it didn't work. Top GKs who can handle the pressure at United are very rare. DDG himself was lucky to have top defenders in front of him to help him settle down. These days we've got Jones, Bailly and Smalling with wingers covering the fullback role.
I personally would sign Donnarumma from AC Milan and let him develop into a world class keeper. We also have Henderson who is doing well on loan..

-Supreme-

If he's asking for £500k a week, then we should sell him to the highest bidder.
Agreed. The real issue is that other players will ask for similar amounts and our wage structure will be uncontrollable.

Woody has cocked up big time with Sanchez's contract

Status
Not open for further replies.