De Gea contract talk | Signs new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRUERED89

Never going to happen I don't think. They hold all the cards. Also, we haven't really given them that many players. Beckham, Ruud, Heinze and Ronaldo unless I've missed somebody? They gave us Di Maria and I doubt we were too sad to lose one of two of the players we sold.

Anyway, I do agree that the best outcome is for De Gea to leave and for us to get Courtois. I actually think he'd maybe be the better keeper for us and the contract talks seem to be getting out of hand. We seem to give him increases every couple of years. If we carry on like this we will pay him about 800K a week in 5 years time.
Football is becoming bigger ever year, with TV money and sponsorships especially. So it wont be long before we see the best players on £800k p/w I'm certain!

el3mel

Two big factors will play in to his decision, who the manager will be and will we get Champions League football.

If we finish top four and Ole confirmed as manager I could see this getting wrapped up pretty quickly.
Qualification is fine but can't see him satisfied by just qualifying every year without a chance to win it. Can't see him rushing to a contract without seeing a guarantee from us to build a top squad with chance to compete for big titles.

Problem with Dave is his CV doesn't match his performance, 1 league title and no CL. Underwhelming and he must be feeling the same, feeling the need of winning some big titles to be recognized as one of the best. If we can't offer that, can't see him staying any longer tbh.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He wants £480k a week if the normally reliable James Ducker of the Daily Telegraph is to be believed.

If true, then sell him in the summer.

The Nani

Reportedly, Oblak's release clause is around £80m and he's on around £100k per week. If we were to make Dave available, we'd get at least £50-60m for him from Real or PSG. Hell, maybe even Bayern to replace Neuer. So then you're talking about an outlay of £20-30m and half the wages for Oblak. It's the obvious and smart move to make, but we've still got Ed at the wheel.

RedDevil@84

He wants £480k a week if the normally reliable James Ducker of the Daily Telegraph is to be believed.

Doesn't Telegraph still believe that Sanchez is on 600k pw?

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
There were times where I thought we wouldnt survive without him but nowadays it will be alright if we replqce him properly.

Kostov

I say we make a stand in contract negotiations when some average to good player like Herrera holds us hostage, but not on our most important player like De Gea is. Give him an improved contract and the captains armband.

Art

Art the artist
He's been nothing close to his standards this season. We've got Romero and a United kid in Deano. Sell him. 480/week for conceding that first long rate effort by Xhaka. Feck off.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
If he doesn't want to be here anymore, let him go. He's done brilliantly over the years, but i wouldn't want us to pay more than 300k/week. If he thinks he can get a better contract in Paris, Turin or elsewhere, so be it.

The performances for Spain leave a lot to be desired for, he's profited from the way things have been at United. He's a world class shot stopper, other than that he's not as good as he thinks he is. Maybe it's time for both sides to gain new experiences.

Oblak, Navas or Courtois for much lower wages would be fine by me.

bonsaiboy

Sanchez has really killed our wage structure. I know that from a business perspective signing a player on an inflated wage for 'free' might amortise similarly to an expensive player on a lower wage, but when salaries are so out in the open it was always going to end badly. I hate this, but I think that we have to get it under control and if that means losing a few of our better (even our best) players, that's going to have to be the way it goes. Otherwise the trend will be that any player we're interested in will want an inflated wage and our existing players will want the same when their contracts are up for renegotiation.

I say we make a stand in contract negotiations when some average to good player like Herrera holds us hostage, but not on our most important player like De Gea is. Give him an improved contract and the captains armband.
I have no problem with giving DdG an improved contract, but we cannot let that break our wage structure further. If we give him £350k p/w that sets an expectation for the rest of the team -- if they believe they're one of the top players in their position, they'll want the same.

clarkydaz

Sanchez has really killed our wage structure. I know that from a business perspective signing a player on an inflated wage for 'free' might amortise similarly to an expensive player on a lower wage, but when salaries are so out in the open it was always going to end badly. I hate this, but I think that we have to get it under control and if that means losing a few of our better (even our best) players, that's going to have to be the way it goes. Otherwise the trend will be that any player we're interested in will want an inflated wage and our existing players will want the same when their contracts are up for renegotiation.

I have no problem with giving DdG an improved contract, but we cannot let that break our wage structure further. If we give him £350k p/w that sets an expectation for the rest of the team -- if they believe they're one of the top players in their position, they'll want the same.
it happened years before when Woodward gave Rooney that stupid contract renewal, right after Fergie was ready to let him go

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Reportedly, Oblak's release clause is around £80m and he's on around £100k per week. If we were to make Dave available, we'd get at least £50-60m for him from Real or PSG. Hell, maybe even Bayern to replace Neuer. So then you're talking about an outlay of £20-30m and half the wages for Oblak. It's the obvious and smart move to make, but we've still got Ed at the wheel.
I'd love Oblak here but he reportedly didn't want to leave Madrid for Chelsea in the summer so no gurantees he'd want to come here even if we did meet his release clause

AgentP

I'd love Oblak here but he reportedly didn't want to leave Madrid for Chelsea in the summer so no gurantees he'd want to come here even if we did meet his release clause
Athletico are having an underwhelming season compared to their recent achievements and Man Utd is more attractive to players than Chelsea imo. If Dave leaves, he is the player we should get. Anyway, I hope it doesn't come to that and we can reach an agreement with De Gea.

AgentP

Agreed. No keeper is worth that much. We should offer him 300k and if he won't take it, then we should sell him. We can't be taken hostage by players and their agents.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Athletico are having an underwhelming season compared to their recent achievements and Man Utd is more attractive to players than Chelsea imo. If Dave leaves, he is the player we should get. Anyway, I hope it doesn't come to that and we can reach an agreement with De Gea.
Dare I say Oblak might even be better for us? DDG is great but lets not pretend he doesn't have his flaws (like never coming off his line for anything). Oblak might not pull off as many worldies (though he certainly is capable) but might help the defence out more

AgentP

Dare I say Oblak might even be better for us? DDG is great but lets not pretend he doesn't have his flaws (like never coming off his line for anything). Oblak might not pull off as many worldies (though he certainly is capable) but might help the defence out more
I agree. I rate Ter Stegen and Oblak above De Gea. But since it's not a position that we need improving, I'd go for that option only if we don't have a choice.

Phil Osophy

We only talk about numbers but the length of the contract it's important as well. Even if keepers tend to last more in the elite, I think many here would be surprised to know at what age good keepers like Casillas, Valdes or Cech to name some started to lose their 'mojo' and that intouchable aura at their clubs. I don't mean being totally done but starting to decline.

I really think it's naive to consider a renewal for 5 years like something good for us at this stage of his career. One season is such a long time and many things can happen, so let alone five. There's no memory in football and heroes can turn into villains in a matter of months, and I think the moment De Gea starts reacting just half second late to shots we'll have another headache for years and a very expensive one. So 5 seasons on 400k (or even more) in my eyes is like a ticking bomb.

I could be more relaxed about it if he was showing progress in other areas at least, but he's still timid at leaving the goal line to win the aerial ball and anticipate the deep pass. He's actually worse at playing from the back since LVG and Frans Hoek left, at least I remember him being half decent which he isn't now. So happily throwing money based on how good he's been under the posts and the player of the season awards doesn't strike me as a very good decision.

There's also the domino effect, because if the keeper is earning outrageous numbers any good outfield player will be asking for similar money. This is why I can't buy the argument that giving De Gea 'whatever he wants' is cheaper than signing a new keeper. It could be in the short immediate term, but it keeps making the snowball bigger for the future.

The main problem I see is that without De Gea we'll need another keeper as I don't believe Romero is good enough to start here every week. If you see all the gaps we need to fill this summer only in the starting XI, thinking about a keeper and also a midfielder if Herrera leaves could be far too much. This is why I would try to convince him with 300k which is far too generous, and 3 years + 1 optional which gives some margin to re-evaluate after some time. If he doesn't take it then I would start finding a replacement.

There's the option in that case of selling him this window, probably with PSG being the most likely destination and get funds to sign a replacement. Or just keeping him for next season and leave the door open for an agreement, while we do a more intense research in the market for the following summer, hopefully with most of the needed signings being done already. Whatever happens it's not the end of the world, that's for sure.

Mal donaghy

As i said in the matcday thread this guy has already mentally left, the last few performances are testament to that.

Schmeichel=God

It's sad that my general feeling has come to this....but it's probably time to let him go and bring in someone who is hungry and 100% mentally with us.

It's time to be sensible financially here.

Mylock

As i said in the matcday thread this guy has already mentally left, the last few performances are testament to that.
I'd agree with you 100 %, his performances this season have slowly deteriorated as the season progressed. On his day he's the best keeper in the world but at the moment he's way off it. Every since the world cup he's gone down hill.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Does PSG really want him? They actually have a good young keeper who isn't bad at all, can't remember his name.
I guess he can go Juve as well. If he doesn't want to commit to us then sell him this summer. Don't allow him to stay as No 1 whilst running down his contract. We need to move on if he no longer wants to be here.

KjaAnd

He's a coward and it's nothing new. He has got the best reflexes in the world but he's comfortably below par when it comes to some of the other aspects of goalkeeping: commanding the penalty box, being a leader, sweeping, passing the ball. Get rid.

Suedesi

He had a great match against Tottenham, but his form since has gone donwhill:

PSG at home for Kimpembe goal
That punch against PSG
Southampton at home
Xhaka's goal
Wolves second goal

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Wolves second goal is all due to Jones losing his dual ( how can he be behing his player) and Smalling s madness. Both are making mistakes there

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Folks pouring scorn on De Gea (in contrast with measured criticism) after one of the few dips in form he's suffered in a looooong while is really bizarre — our best and most consistent player of the post-Ferguson era (by a country mile at that), four time World XI nominee and five time PFA Goalkeeper of the Year is retroactively not all that he's cracked up to be, a coward and a charlatan, a thoroughly limited player who is below par at anything but legerdemain and reflex saves, et cetera and we should “get rid” à la Barthez or Howard! Sure, he has his flaws, but which keeper doesn't over a lengthy career? Anyhow, something's not right with him these days, obviously — hoping that it's just a blip and he bounces back in the Barcelona match, but it could definitely be something deeper and more profound (even aside from the contract business) — like winning his last league title in 2013 and not ever reaching the European Cup semi-finals while contemporaries like Neuer or Ter Stegen have either won the lot or are part of highly competitive units. That has got to sting a competitive player like De Gea, especially as he approaches his 30s. Even if he ends up leaving, you can't really begrudge him at this stage — for several years now, he's given everything he had to give for a club in perpetual transition, and delivered over the odds for a sub-£20 million signing.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I've never rated him as high as some have and personally couldn't care less if he left. He's a good goalkeeper, but way too timid in comparison to Schmeichel or Van Der Sar. Us being shit has actually helped him since SAF retired. Had we been a dominant team in that period, then I feel his weaknesses would've been highlighted alot more, especially his non command of his area.

Red00012

Everyone on here saying they never rated him:lol::lol::nervous:

But If he isn’t planning on renewing he needs to be moved on in the summer we need to get a fee for him, I envy Chelsea ,city even Liverpool how they get decent money for average and unproven players yet here we are losing Herrera and maybe De Gea for nothing.

spiriticon

Our best and most consistent player and he has to stay. It is up to him at the end of the day, we can't exactly chain him to the goalposts...

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Everyone on here saying they never rated him:lol::lol::nervous:

But If he isn’t planning on renewing he needs to be moved on in the summer we need to get a fee for him, I envy Chelsea ,city even Liverpool how they get decent money for average and unproven players yet here we are losing Herrera and maybe De Gea for nothing.
Most people rate him as a good goalkeeper, but wouldn't say he's a world class goal keeper. Being a fantastic shot stopper alone doesn't make you world class IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.