De Gea contract talk | Signs new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Wolves second goal is all due to Jones losing his dual ( how can he be behing his player) and Smalling s madness. Both are making mistakes there
I'm sorry but no. None of Jones or Smalling are world beaters but the situation yesterday doesn't happen if we have a Schmeichel or Neuer in goal. DDG just doesn't command the box and deal with crosses like a top GK should. He should be coming out with a take no prisoners attitude and get the ball clear but he has has always been poor in such situations. I don't know if he deserves the money he's asking for or not, whether he should go or not, whether he's the best or not, but last night he was at fault for the goal, just as he was against Arsenal, against Southampton for Valery's goal and even Kimpembe doesn't score against us from the corner if he makes up his mind early to punch the ball clear. He's easily been our best player in the post SAF era, but this season he's been way below par and this is no exaggeration.

The Last Jedaiiii

This. Ter Stegen, while not being a very vocal presence, still organises his defence much better than DDG and commands his area much more convincingly. This despite being 2 inches shorter and 2 years younger than DDG and he makes as many world class saves.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I've seen plenty of posters turn their back on him now that he's had an average season for the first time in years and years. He kept us in that game today when the team was playing shit on a stick football. He'd cost half the "generous" budget Ole has to replace.

Pay him what he wants and get it done.

King7Eric

I've seen plenty of posters turn their back on him now that he's had an average season for the first time in years and years. He kept us in that game today when the team was playing shit on a stick football. He'd cost half the "generous" budget Ole has to replace.

Pay him what he wants and get it done.
It's a weird time to post this. Yes he made a couple of great saves but he's the one who led to the goal, again with a sloppy ball out. And there were other instances too where his ball out put us under pressure.
Edit- I'm not one who wants him out btw and also acknowledge he's been our best player for years, but we also have to acknowledge he puts us under pressure more often than not with his ball out.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It's a weird time to post this. Yes he made a couple of great saves but he's the one who led to the goal, again with a sloppy ball out. And there were other instances too where his ball out put us under pressure.
Edit- I'm not one who wants him out btw and also acknowledge he's been our best player for years, but we also have to acknowledge he puts us under pressure more often than not with his ball out.
Given how much people give Pogba the "he is amazing, he just needs better teammates and movement ahead of him" excuse, de Gea should maybe be afforded some of that in terms of people ahead of him should be better at controlling the ball. But yes, his distribution is the only downside to his game and he could improve that (it's not an unsurmountable task like asking a grown ass player to improve his first touch).

He did make an absolutely world class save when West Ham were all over us. And generally, I've just been hearing more and more people saying maybe it's time to cut him loose. I don't agree, I think it's imperative that we keep him. Again, especially with view to how little money Ole will have which will at the very most enable us to challenge for the top 4.

King7Eric

Given how much people give Pogba the "he is amazing, he just needs better teammates and movement ahead of him" excuse, de Gea should maybe be afforded some of that in terms of people ahead of him should be better at controlling the ball. But yes, his distribution is the only downside to his game and he could improve that (it's not an unsurmountable task like asking a grown ass player to improve his first touch).

He did make an absolutely world class save when West Ham were all over us. And generally, I've just been hearing more and more people saying maybe it's time to cut him loose. I don't agree, I think it's imperative that we keep him. Again, especially with view to how little money Ole will have which will at the very most enable us to challenge for the top 4.
I'm sorry but I don't agree with this. His command of the box during set pieces is dubious and he still struggles at imposing himself on crosses into the box. As good as DDG has been for us, let us not pretend he's a perfect GK. In an ideal world we'd want to keep him here, but if his wage demands are unreasonable, I don't think him leaving will be the end of the world.

The Last Jedaiiii

I'm sorry but I don't agree with this. His command of the box during set pieces is dubious and he still struggles at imposing himself on crosses into the box. As good as DDG has been for us, let us not pretend he's a perfect GK. In an ideal world we'd want to keep him here, but if his wage demands are unreasonable, I don't think him leaving will be the end of the world.
Oblak or even Areola from PSG would be good. I'd like to see Romero play out the season as he's more imposing and possibly a better distributor

AgentP

De Gea and United are suited to each other. We don't play an expansive style which needs a proactive ballplaying keeper. All we need is a solid shot stopper. The demands on De Gea would be more at any of the other top clubs. The fans in Spain don't even think he is a top keeper whereas our fans adore him. Even Madrid don't fancy him as much as they used to. So I think the two will come to some sort of agreement sooner or later as it fits both their interests.

passing-wind

I don't see De Gea in Spain, I think Madrid have more pressing concerns and seem to be targeting outfield players given the new Zidane revolution.

No one in world football will pay david just under half a million a week. We should offer him something as a return for his worldly performances season after season. But if it's a deal that is borderline ridiculous move on. Oblak isn't necessarily available but he's on the market, another world class keeper at the top level.

lukepowell1988

Whilst I would be ecstatic if he signs a new deal I also wouldn't be massively upset if he left .

Great servant to the club over the years and have done more than play his part but if you really don't want to play for Manchester United you are welcome to leave.

Bojan11

He’s been crap besides the odd saves for most of this season especially in the last two months.

PepsiCola

He can do one.

Let him go to madrid where he'll be slaughtered and promote Deano.

Shark

@NotShark
De Gea hasn’t been the best goalkeeper in the world this season, let’s be honest. His distribution has been awful and he’s made more costly mistakes than ever. If he doesn’t want to be here anymore I’d rather we just went and replaced him at this point

El Zoido

I’m sure Real Madrid will be in with a monster bid for him after that blunder.

RasTiaGba

Sorry everyone, but please explain to me why DDG deserves 500k a week, which is probably a bigger wage than Lionel Messi.

Paying him 500k a week would mean any players the quality of Neymar would want 600k a week to come here.

I'm sure Tom Heaton saves Burnley some points every season too, but that doesn't mean he should be the biggest paid player in their team.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
If Ed agrees to his crazy demands, he needs sacking immediately.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Ironically the saves would often cover up other glaring deficiencies as a keeper. He’s a goalline merchant who allows way too much to happen in front of him. His kicking is a disgrace. Now he’s not even making the saves anymore.

Terrible all season. Ronaldo broke him. Replace.

BlueHaze

His head is not in the right place. He's already thinking about what his next club will be. He needs to be replaced.

Barnslig

Ironically the saves would often cover up other glaring deficiencies as a keeper. He’s a goalline merchant who allows way too much to happen in front of him. His kicking is a disgrace. Now he’s not even making the saves anymore.

Terrible all season. Ronaldo broke him. Replace.
This does my tits in, his distribution is absolutely rubbish and I never expect it to hit a team mate when he kicks it, never seems to anyway.

J_XO

He's been part of the problem at the back for sure. Very uncomfortable on the ball and often puts us under pressure because of it. World class shot stopper but he has his brain farts, which are happening more and more often

BlueHaze

This does my tits in, his distribution is absolutely rubbish and I never expect it to hit a team mate when he kicks it, never seems to anyway.
And the sad part is his distribution used to be one of the best in the world. I have no idea what the feck happened, maybe the GK coach change played a role?

big rons sovereign

His head is not in the right place. He's already thinking about what his next club will be. He needs to be replaced.
He's been sulking all season.
That's 3 goals in 4 games he's cost us and he could've done better with Barca's goal last week.
Get rid.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He's certainly had a poor season and I'd happily ship out any player who doesn't want to be here.

That said, he's just 28 years old so there's no reason to think he won't regain his best form. One bad season shouldn't negate half a dozen excellent ones, either in terms of how highly we fundamentally rate him nor how much affection/respect he has from us as a fanbase.

Watching Manchester United fans tell someone who should be regarded as something of a United legend at this point to feck off to another club makes me feel profoundly unwell. This isn't Lukaku or Sanchez we're talking about, DDG should have earned every United fan's respect by now and respect means not talking about him like he's some prick.

I mean people are actually calling him a cnut, like this poor form is some moral failing on his part. Astounding lack of loyalty from so-called supporters. I mean criticise him all you like but don't sound like a Liverpool fan when doing so.

NYAS

He’s been largely disappointing since the World Cup. His head isn’t in it anymore, he’s over being here. If he doesn’t want to extend just let him go and get Oblak. I’m fecking fed up of having players who don’t want to be here.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Holy fecking shit! :lol:

He's world class. Even world class players go through occasional patches of bad form, the problem being that when a goalkeeper's form drops, it shows a lot more.

We'd struggle to do much better if we offloaded him.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Sell him, keep the lads that have signed new contracts let Ed have another summer, mid table here we come!

AndyJ1985

He's not worth what he wants. Romero is a decent 'keeper. Make him #1, sell De Gea, and use the money + wages we'll have saved to buy a RW or a RB

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
His consistency this season has dropped off, he has made a fair few howlers. These are partly offset by his world class saves, but when you add in that his distribution is crap, his command of the area is crap, his penalty saving is crap and at 29 his value won't be any higher it has to be a good time to consider cashing in.

Status
Not open for further replies.