De Gea contract talk | Signs new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

Manchester United to offer David de Gea a new contract to ward off Real Madrid's continued interest

The 26-year-old’s current deal runs out in 2019, feasibly making it easier for the European champions to sign him next summer when he only has one year left on his current deal

Manchester United are over the next few weeks set to open talks with David De Gea regarding a new contract, and are confident that the Spanish goalkeeper will agree despite long-standing interest from Real Madrid.

The 26-year-old’s current deal runs out in 2019, feasibly making it easier for the Spanish club to sign him next summer when he only has one year left on his deal.

United have been insistent that they will not buckle for Real, however, and that now extends to looking to extend his stay at the club.

There is also a feeling that De Gea is now feeling even more comfortable in Manchester, and greatly enjoying his time at the club, so would be open to a new deal.

Manager Jose Mourinho is also keen to get the Spanish international - currently considered one of the best goalkeepers in the world - tied down to a contract by the start of the new year.
Will he sign a new deal? Will it have a release clause as supposedly the last one had? Does he still dream about Madrid? And surely he’s worth well above £80m in todays crazy market?

ShoePolish

He will go one day, imo. Just a matter of time. Right now, it's Zidane and Navas' form that's holding it up. Just insert some crazy north of 150 mil release clause, so we milk out the maximum.

Revan

Assumptionman
His contract has a +1 year option, as far as I remember. It was a 4+1 contract signed in 2015, and we will exercise that option for sure.

Better to have him signing a new 5 year contract though, which will tie him up to January 2023. And then say feck off to Real if they dare to come back for him. If Real doesn't have a good season (they have started quite bad), they for sure will go full muppets in the summer, so having De Gea in a long contract will be very healthy for us.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Assuming he signs a new deal, I don't think there will be any clauses in it. The last deal he signed was a sort of security type thing to relieve him from here should things go sour. If he is happy here, he can see the club are on the up and will most likely stay for a long time.

Smoking_Owl

Account closed by request: 23/11/17
It's a pity that Delaney is a proven charlatan.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I honestly think he loves United and loves playing for us, but a move to Real Madrid makes so much sense for him.

A bumper new contract is great if it means he's going to stay long-term, but even if he doesn't we get more money (and smash the transfer record for a goalkeeper into smithereens) and I will genuinely wish him all the best.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
He will go one day, imo. Just a matter of time. Right now, it's Zidane and Navas' form that's holding it up. Just insert some crazy north of 150 mil release clause, so we milk out the maximum.
People have been saying this ever since he has signed. As long as the club will improve, he'll stay here.

poacher

I think David De Gea has an option to extend his contract by a year so, in reality, he doesn't become a free agent till 2020 so we have him for three years. I would still advocate extending his contract by another two years as he is irreplaceable. There are very few top-notch goalies that we could get to replace him if he left so we should do our utmost to keep him here. If Lindelof and Shaw are worth 120k per week surely the world best goalie has got to be worth at least 220K to 240k? Maybe rather than just upping his wages we should also look at a loyalty bonus that increases the longer he stays at the club.

Adebesi

The way prices are escalating Im not sure where you set "crazy" to be honest. What seems crazy now could seem pretty reasonable in a couple of summers. The market hadnt fully digested the Neymar transfer at the end of the last window, itll be interesting to see where the market is when the window next opens - and particularly next summer when the next round of big deals get done.

But yes, if we can tie him up that will be great news.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
People have been saying this ever since he has signed. As long as the club will improve, he'll stay here.
Well they weren't wrong were they? A fax machine stopped him leaving two summers ago and Jose admitted that we opened the door for him to leave this summer too, only for Real to not take the chance. So yeah people have every reason to believe he'll leave one day.

AgentP

I think David De Gea has an option to extend his contract by a year so, in reality, he doesn't become a free agent till 2020 so we have him for three years. I would still advocate extending his contract by another two years as he is irreplaceable. There are very few top-notch goalies that we could get to replace him if he left so we should do our utmost to keep him here. If Lindelof and Shaw are worth 120k per week surely the world best goalie has got to be worth at least 220K to 240k? Maybe rather than just upping his wages we should also look at a loyalty bonus that increases the longer he stays at the club.
He is already the best paid keeper in the world and if he moves to Madrid, he'll have to take a wage cut. So, we shouldn't have a problem with wages or anything. Madrid have won 3 out of the last 4 CLs and are the best team in the world while it's been 4 years since we challenged for the league or the CL. That is where we need to improve if we want to keep De Gea. The best keeper in the world would want to be winning the biggest trophies. With Jose, we are definitely on the right track but we need to start winning soon or he goes.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Well they weren't wrong were they? A fax machine stopped him leaving two summers ago and Jose admitted that we opened the door for him to leave this summer too, only for Real to not take the chance. So yeah people have every reason to believe he'll leave one day.
I think @KM point is that people aren't wrong for thinking he might leave, they are wrong for being absolutely convinced he will do so. I mean he really ought to have left the year of the fax machine but that was largely Madrid's own fault for leaving it so late.

GrandJury

Mourinho has said he won't stop a player leaving, meaning he will say to him if you sign a new deal and the right offer comes in from Madrid you can go.

DDG is very content and humbled how good the fans were to him after he nearly moved last time. There was no hate or booing so I'm sure he'll put the ink to paper. He loves this club and it clearly shows.

SER19

To be honest its rare nowadays for a player, particularly an overseas one to stay at one club for the bulk of his career. At the end of this season we'll have had him for seven years with one (hopefully 2) titles to show for it.

He's unquestionably the best goalkeeper in the world and if we don't match what he thinks he should be achieving then I would sadly accept his will to leave. We can hardly accuse him of jumping ship at this point. We need to get back winning titles

SirAF

Ageist
His contract has a +1 year option, as far as I remember. It was a 4+1 contract signed in 2015, and we will exercise that option for sure.

Better to have him signing a new 5 year contract though, which will tie him up to January 2023. And then say feck off to Real if they dare to come back for him. If Real doesn't have a good season (they have started quite bad), they for sure will go full muppets in the summer, so having De Gea in a long contract will be very healthy for us.
Yes, with the +1 we're in a pretty strong position. Should definitely be able to tie him down during this season in order to further strengthening our hand.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I think @KM point is that people aren't wrong for thinking he might leave, they are wrong for being absolutely convinced he will do so. I mean he really ought to have left the year of the fax machine but that was largely Madrid's own fault for leaving it so late.
Precisely. Every year people are convinced that he'll leave, I'll believe it when I see it.

Mitser

Legend and world class player. Makes sense we're looking to start talks now.
I'm sure the club will make him easily the best offer, but if he still chooses Madrid then I expect he'll leave us on good terms.
I think he'll sign a new contract, but will wish him well if he moves.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
No it's not. He's saying it's linked to the performance of the team. Which imo is only one reason behind why he wants to return home.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Precisely. Every year people are convinced that he'll leave, I'll believe it when I see it.
I believe the issue is no team wants to pay what it would take to get De Gea, no one wants to spend 60-80m on a GK and tbh we should be asking for more than that

Real want him but they will want him on the cheap

Acole9

Outstanding
Long term contract and no release clause would be great.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Offer him something no one will want to match. Release of at least £160m. I don't even think that's unrealistic. In fact that could be too low in a few years.

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Hope we get him tied to a new deal ASAP. This should be a priority of the club as Dave is the best keeper in the world and has been for a few seasons now. He is outstanding and has shown this season already he is back at his absolute best. We need to show him the ambition that is needed to keep him here by winning more trophies and competing in Europe and he would sign a new deal I reckon. Awesome player :drool::devil:

InfiniteBoredom

We were literally one on time fax away from losing him for 35m.

He's demonstrated that he's willing to leave, and almost did if not for a feck up on their end. We can speculate on whether that botched move has soured him on joining the circus but it's hardly unfounded people are worried.

ottosec

I was excited then I saw that it was written by Miguel Delaney. Might as well be written by Caftard12345.

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
Hopefully he does sign a new deal, but as mentioned he will leave at some point so if we can be the ones calling the shots and get a big amount for him to cover ourselves that will be good. I expect him to stay at least a couple more years still though.

Skills

Snitch
He'll sign a new one. He's already the worlds highest paid keeper, and we'll give a nice raise.

cyberman

Maybe posters can finally rest easy if he signs?
I remember the days Ed got shit on for not offering him to Madrid just to get it over with.
Hopefully Madrid do sign the Italian kid so all of the speculation can stop

sunama

Baghdad Bob
To be honest its rare nowadays for a player, particularly an overseas one to stay at one club for the bulk of his career. At the end of this season we'll have had him for seven years with one (hopefully 2) titles to show for it.

He's unquestionably the best goalkeeper in the world and if we don't match what he thinks he should be achieving then I would sadly accept his will to leave. We can hardly accuse him of jumping ship at this point. We need to get back winning titles
In that case, a lot will depend on what Jose can win us at the end of the season.
Last season we won 2 minor trophies, but if Jose can convince DDG that there is further improvement to come and the title and CL trophies are imminent, then maybe DDG will genuinely want to extend his contract.
There is another side to the story and that is that Madrid, aren't desperate for DDG, so they are not willing to pay a big transfer fee or big salary. As such, DDG may know this, so is asking himself, "Why go to a club, where I'm not particularly wanted, meanwhile MUFC want to keep hold of me and are willing to pay a monster salary. I am settled and already in a team which is going places. Maybe I should stay."

IMO, if we can compete for the title/CL this season, then Jose has a good chance of convincing DDG to stay for another season.

SER19

In that case, a lot will depend on what Jose can win us at the end of the season.
Last season we won 2 minor trophies, but if Jose can convince DDG that there is further improvement to come and the title and CL trophies are imminent, then maybe DDG will genuinely want to extend his contract.
There is another side to the story and that is that Madrid, aren't desperate for DDG, so they are not willing to pay a big transfer fee or big salary. As such, DDG may know this, so is asking himself, "Why go to a club, where I'm not particularly wanted, meanwhile MUFC want to keep hold of me and are willing to pay a monster salary. I am settled and already in a team which is going places. Maybe I should stay."

IMO, if we can compete for the title/CL this season, then Jose has a good chance of convincing DDG to stay for another season.
Yes a serious run in Europe would help. Title would be fantastic

MUFC07

I thought we would be in for another post-Schmeichel era after VDS retired. But my god this man has been worthy of going into the list of the formerly mentioned.

He deserves a CL trophy.

RedCurry

I thought we would be in for another post-Schmeichel era after VDS retired. But my god this man has been worthy of going into the list of the formerly mentioned.

He deserves a CL trophy.
As far as I remember the other two, DDG is clearly better than both of them and quite easily too.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
Remember when Hart v DDG was a genuinely debated question?
Yes, saying that, I also remember reading on RAWK years ago people debating who was the better player out of Sinama Pongolle and Cristiano Ronaldo.

Status
Not open for further replies.