De Gea contract talk | Signs new deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauldyson1uk

Manchester Evening News are running with this

Real Madrid believe they can finally land David de Gea for £100m.

The European champions have long-targeted the Manchester United No1 - and it’s understood president Florentino Perez accepts he will have to smash the world transfer record if he is ever to lure him to the Bernabeu.

Woodzy

He has said nothing alarming in this interview. Very professional interview imo.
Agreed. It’s fairly obvious that if we open the door for him to go to Madrid then he will jump at the chance.

At the same time, he’s clearly happy here and won’t be kicking up a fuss (not this year anyway).

It’s the clubs call on whether De Gea is our keeper next season or not. I wouldn’t be surprised if we actually considered a record breaking bid if it were to happen.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Possibly not. But why move from one rebuilding project to another? At least ours is getting close to the end.
1) Playing in his country (hometown?)
2) Living in sunny beautiful Spain

We don't know if our rebuilding project is closer to where we want (challenging for Europe and PL) anymore that they know theirs. Although the uncertainty could be in our favor.
The only true advantage we have over them is what we can offer him in terms of wages. He should be our highest earner.

CM

I wouldn't draw anything from that interview at all, he basically just batted off questions from reporters wanting him to slip up. It was obvious this story would re-emerge once Lopetegui was confirmed as the new Madrid manager so I don't think it's anything to worry about just yet.

Perez will probably have more say on transfers anyway and he could just as easily target another keeper off the back of a good World Cup. I imagine they'll continue to monitor Alisson and Courtois, so hopefully one of them has a blinder this summer.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Real Madrid accelerate to sign Alisson

Oh please let it be true. Liverpool keep taking L’s :lol:

And still stand by this...
He’s not leaving United 1000% for this summer at least...beyond that? Who knows but that doesn’t matter atm.

Right now, José has said multiple times there’s absolutely no chance Dave leaves so that’s that regardless of whatever speculation/narrative people want to create.

As for his comments, yea that’s nothing new. De Gea has said throughout the past season he wants to win trophies. He’s staying 1 more year at the least. Things have to change for the better or else he may definitely leave next summer. PL / CL will be more crucial than ever this upcoming season as it won’t just effect the managers fate but in all likelihood DDG’s too. Need to win something and showcase we really are one of the top teams in Europe - and not just by name/association but on the field.

prath92

1) Playing in his country (hometown?)
2) Living in sunny beautiful Spain

We don't know if our rebuilding project is closer to where we want (challenging for Europe and PL) anymore that they know theirs. Although the uncertainty could be in our favor.
The only true advantage we have over them is what we can offer him in terms of wages. He should be our highest earner.
He has spoken multiple times about how he isn’t loved in Spain as much he is at Manchester. The only reason that I can see is his girlfriend supposedly wanted him to settle there with her but it’s been 3-4 years since that episode.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Interesting that Spain just sacked Lopetegui a day before the tournament. Were they worried that he would be trying to sign De Gea and there was a huge conflict of interest?

crossy1686

career ending
I imagine Lopetegui begging him every single day at the spanish camp as a professional advice to come to Madrid.
That would be highly unprofessional and a case for tapping up a player.

I would expect that Lopetegui won't even be thinking about Madrid, let alone De Gea's proposed transfer on the eve of a World Cup.

The last thing the squad need is a coach who's counting the days until he can clock in for Madrid.

Ramos on the other hand is probably in his ear most weeks.

vodrake

Well, you guys can stop worrying about the RM coach tapping him up now :lol:

Last edited:

crossy1686

career ending
Interesting that Spain just sacked Lopetegui a day before the tournament. Were they worried that he would be trying to sign De Gea and there was a huge conflict of interest?
Doubt they sacked a manager and put a World Cup campaign in turmoil because they were worried we'd lose a player.

They're most likely concerned his head isn't in the right place for the tournament. Might as well put someone in charge who will be there after the tournament.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United

If they offer £150m and allow us to buy Bale then would you accept?

With Romero we have a very capable keeper so we don't need to buy a replacement, plus we can use the money to reinvest in our full backs.
If they really, really want him and he really wants to go. feck the money, we should definitely demand three from Isco, Varane, Bale, Marcelo and Asensio.

If they really, really want him and he really wants to go. feck the money, we should definitely demand three from Isco, Varane, Bale, Marcelo and Asensio.
Swap deals very rarely happen anyway, and I can’t even think of a deal where a player was swapped for 2 or more others players, far far too complicated - it would also need those players to want to come to Utd, which is very unlikely.

Bestietom

Every season we read about De Gea wanted by Real, but He says he is happy here and I don't think that Real will pay 100million for him anyway. Hope he stays.

arthurka

You can bet your best parts on that if Real came with a serious bid for our Dave he would leave without hesitation . It's all about how much Real are willing to pay.

Giggsyking

In a world where Real see Morata the bench warmer worth 90 m pounds.
DDG is worth not less than double that figure. 180 pounds or they can feck off.

Last edited:

padzilla

Hipster
Are we better cashing in now and buying a solid replacement instead of letting him leave for nothing when his contract expires?

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Just realised it’s bad news Dave spending a month or so with a team half full of successful Madrid players. Kinda hope they have a shit time and get knocked out so Dave doesn’t go all starry eyed over their trophy tales.

IrishMcD

In a world where Real see Morata the bench wormer worth 90 m pounds.
DDG is worth not less than double that figure. 180 pounds or they can feck off.
Agree that any price they have to pay for players is their own fault when they price the likes of Morata at £90m.
The worry I have is that De Gea only has two years left on his contract (1+1). If he had three of four years left, we would be in a much stronger place.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Agree that any price they have to pay for players is their own fault when they price the likes of Morata at £90m.
The worry I have is that De Gea only has two years left on his contract (1+1). If he had three of four years left, we would be in a much stronger place.
2 years is a reasonable cushion IMO. Last time they made an actual bid, he had less than a year to run, and it resulted in him signing a 5 year deal and having arguably his best season of his career. An extra year gives us a bit of leeway. Do they want to wait 2 full seasons to get him?

I just don't think Madrid want him that desperately nor is DDG that desperate to go there. Madrid know it will cost a world record fee, and DDG seems to have a strong relationship with the United that he isn't going to force a move himself. Though if Madrid coughed up what he's worth and the club accepts, then he'd surely be open to it, but it doesn't appear that he's ever got his agents pushing anything through, otherwise, I'm sure he'd have been a Madrid player for a couple of years already by now.

I'll be concerned if this transfer window ends and he hasn't signed a new deal with us.

RedDevil@84

He's going nowhere lads.

Mourinho said recently there's "no chance" of a move. He wouldn't say that if there was a chance IMO.
Mou also said, if the player comes to him and says he wants to leave, he will let him go. I don't think De Gea would ask to be sold though.

JBoi

He has constantly said, since the failed transfer back in 2015, he wants to stay where he is. Thing is, now that Zidane has gone, who always maintained he wanted Navas to be the number 1, they might actually make a more concrete move. Especially if Perez has anything to do with it.

Balague mentioned a few weeks ago the reason Zidane left was due to disagreements over transfer policy. Zidane wanted to keep navas and get rid of Bale. Perez on the other hand wanted to keep his galactico and add De gea to the team sheet.I wouldn't blame De gea for wanting to leave, we are still a long way off challenging for the champions league. The defensive issues are plastered over by the fact our midfield sit so deep, which means we are so slow in attack.

Would love to see an experienced CB in this summer to take control of the line with bailly or lindelof alongside. In the event De Gea does leave, we have options. Both Oblak and Donnarumma are fantastic keepers. But at the end of the day, I hope De Gea stays....

Last edited by a moderator:

SirAF

Ageist
I guess we don’t have to fear that the Spain manager will tap him up now :lol:

MarchingOn

Use their valuations against them. If they want him, make it close to 200m.

If we're going to give Dave away, we'll need to be able to reshape our squad with the amount of money we get.

Fridge chutney

If De Gea goes, you can have Mignolet.

Then we will duke it out in glorious battle Karius vs Mignolet. It won't end 0-0.

On more serious note to me it seems that De Gea is still willing to play ball, but soon United needs to win things. Well, the situation is the same in Liverpool although all front 3 and then some are willing to give Pool a chance to win something or else they will be looking other options available to them.
Yes, he's happy at the club but wants to win big trophies.

He's the best keeper in the world, so a proper challenge is the least he should expect.

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
So our fans want him to spurn Real for good and announce his undying love for Manchester United and rule out any transfer. Right? Why would he do that? He may not want to move there but there are various issues in ruling things out:
  1. Things change very fast in the footballing world, and he wants to keep his options open
  2. Declaring undying love works well with fans, not with Edward while negotiating his next contract
  3. No point in burning bridges with any club (unless we give him a 15 year contract and insure his career here)
Good post

Status
Not open for further replies.