De Gea Interview

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Two observations:

1) He is insanely dumb with no awareness to seeing us being established as complete mediocrity in the next year when he signed his contract.
2) He is more money greedy than we ever thought. He's not dumb and he could see this coming but valued money over mental well being

Either way. Bizzare. He had an out.
All true. I don't buy this he "loves" the Club so much. People sometimes are just so naive.

billybee99

I'm not placing any blame on DDG, he hasnt been bad this season. As for the defense, just avoid AWB and Maguire, half of our defense. The reason I mentioned this stat to begin with is the sheer difference in last seasons performance compared to this one. We were in the bottom half of the league in almost all defense metrics last season. This season we are 5th. And quite honestly that makes a lot of sense. We rarely get outplayed. Our shortcomings are all due in thanks to continuing injury problems, Dalot and Lindelöf latest, coupled with Marcus Rashford losing every shred he had of confidence.

ALL that aside. Manchester United has the 5th best posession metrics in the Premier League thus far and 5th most shots per game.

Our capitalization is horrendous however, and that is the fault of the end product. The chances are there, the players are not executing the final touch. Maguire today is the latest addition in a very long list of "How did you miss that?" open net chances that's changed everything.

Liverpool and Manchester City are going to have a far harder time against this defensive side than what everyone seem to think. But then again a lot of posters here cream their pants every time they imagine any of their players being a Manchester United player instead.
Remind me again where we are in the table.

billybee99

Man, he is seething. He definitely wanted to say something a couple of times but he held it in.

el3mel

All true. I don't buy this he "loves" the Club so much. People sometimes are just so naive.
I honestly don't care much about a player or manager loving the club or not. They are professionals after all and it's a job for them. The whole point is the guy simply showed he holds United at higher standards and expects from it far than many other players in the squad and the manager himself.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I honestly don't care much about a player or manager loving the club or not. They are professionals after all and it's a job for them. The whole point is the guy simply showed he holds United at higher standards and expects from it far than many other players in the squad and the manager himself.
He knows what he's getting into when signing that new mega contract. It's all just for the show.

el3mel

He knows what he's getting into when signing that new mega contract. Why the fake "surprised"?
We don't what he was promised when he signed the deal, or if there were even other clubs interested in him at this point or he only had United as an option. Maybe money played a role but as I said, players are professionals. They aren't supposed to like the club. It's a job for money after all and they are supposed to work for their salary, regardless of them loving the club or not.

It doesn't negate the point the guy has higher standards than many others in the club and he can't accept this BS anymore, while other players are just fine sticking around, picking their salary and telling the fans they will work hard for the next game that they will lose too, or the manager telling us everything is totally fine, it's a culture change and the performance isn't that bad as journos making it out to be.

De Gea looked frustrated with this shite show when he could have done like his teammates, tell any lame excuse or say they will work harder, go on pick his salary and feck it. Nope, he looked the opposite from being not interested. That has nothing to do with him loving the club or not. It's just his standards are far higher and he's done with mediocrity.

billybee99

He knows what he's getting into when signing that new mega contract. It's all just for the show.
If that's for show, then he is one bad actor. That was a very real interview. Hit mute and watch his body language without listening to his voice.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
If that's for show, then he is one bad actor. That was a very real interview. Hit mute and watch his body language without listening to his voice.
He can cry over his 375 k/wk wage while United on relegation battle.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Love De Gea. Such a classy guy. He's been here under SAF, LVG & Mourinho. The drop in standards must be horrifying for him to see. He knows what excellence looks like alright.

He's been worth his weight in gold over the years for us. I wouldn't have blamed him one bit if he moved on when he had the chance, even though he's been my favourite player.

He has reached the top of the game individually with us and what has he got to show for it? That's a damning indictment on the club's direction under Woodward.

Someone of his quality should be winning all the top trophies, not being involved in this circus for years, single-handedly doing a thankless task, saving our behinds every season.

He deserves so, so much better than this.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
De Gea's one of the few to come out of the post SAF spell with his head held (extremely)
high. On the other hand, I do wonder if we regrets being here as long as he has. Same with Pogba and his decision to come here in his peak years. We're a sordid mess.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I like how he was basically like "ffs, we cant even score a goal in 2 games and you ask me do you know what's wrong". Just seems exasperated at the ineptitude on the pitch on the ball. We defend decently most games but game after game, if you offer no attacking threat, eventually the other team will break through. That's United this season. Don't give away too many chances but enough pressure because we offer nothing ourselves and never look like scoring.

Amerifan

I’ve no problem with his performances on the pitch but captain of the club should not be giving interviews like that
I’ll bet he hasn’t had any media training. I’m sure he will have by next game.

RedDevil@84

Not asking for big money is not a gauge to measure one's love for the club or desire to do better.
If that was the case Manchester born lads should be earning almost nothing.

Foxbatt

At one time he was the best keeper and he could have gone and played in the CL. All players want to win trophies.

Gasolin

No he shouldn't be delusional in the media. He should give an honest view on the team and tell the fans this is crap and unacceptable and they should improve on it, not coming out saying everything is fine like he did the previous few games.
No, they can kill each others in the dressing but that should not be our business, this is not a reality show or whatever, this is a professional job for those guys and no, the manager should not share the dirty laundry like that. But in private, I hope he smashes them hard.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I don’t understand why people don’t get that ole is the manager, he has to publicly save face/ be positive, support the players. It’s part and parcel of being a manager. Be positive in public, defend yourself/team/players
They're not worth defending. In all honesty, their conduct and laziness on the pitch is unbecoming of professional footballer, let alone Manchester united player.

They refuse to run, they refuse to move, they're not closing down opponent, all of them just stand there, they can't trap a ball, misplaced passes all over.

total embarrassment to the club

red4ever 79

They're not worth defending. In all honesty, their conduct and laziness on the pitch is unbecoming of professional footballer, let alone Manchester united player.

They refuse to run, they refuse to move, they're not closing down opponent, all of them just stand there, they can't trap a ball, misplaced passes all over.

total embarrassment to the club
Agree with you mate spot on. You publicly defend your team once, maybe twice, but when you see there is no response from the players and we are getting worse, then call them all out. Where has the Ole gone from Everton away last season. Say it as it is.

Zed 101

I am not sure you can put it down to laziness, or even management, I know Ole had a hand in the transfer dealings, but just have to blame Woodward, that 1st 11 and bench yesterday, apart from Maguire, Tuanzebe and De Gea, not one of the other players would even get the hint of a look in at most other PL clubs.

We are playing with a bottom half squad, even without injuries. Not replacing Lukaku was madness, part of me is glad that he went for the long term, but in the short term with him in the squad this season we would be many points better off than we are.

el3mel

No, they can kill each others in the dressing but that should not be our business, this is not a reality show or whatever, this is a professional job for those guys and no, the manager should not share the dirty laundry like that. But in private, I hope he smashes them hard.
Which dirty laundry? I mean he should come to the media and tell the fans this shite is unacceptable for United, that this is bad and we need to improve, not coming on saying delusional stuff about how everything is fine and the results aren't as bad as journos making them out to be etc. The problem with Ole is I think he himself believes his delusio nonsense he's spouting in the media.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Career-wise we failed him. But he got tons of money in his pocket to compensate for that.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Watched his interview just now, wow. He is so angry but somehow controlled all the emotions. The look on his face says it all.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
WOW :eek:

I never knew he cared so deeply. It looks like now he's got his contract situation sorted, knows he's made his bed and now has to lie in it, that the sporting side is his no.1 focus. As it should be obviously. However I am shocked at the level of emotion he exhibited. That interview is as real a glimpse into the inner state of this club as you'll ever see.

We are lucky to have seen that, because usually that risk would be mitigated. We may not see David on media duties for a while.

He misunderstood the question about looking up the pitch and wondering where the next goal is coming from. In one way it stopped him criticising the attacking players, but on the other hand it led to him slating the team for conceding from a corner.

Interview gold for the journalist. Shame he didn't keep him there longer, but I think as it is that it is astounding enough.
Always keep in mind that professional athletes are competitors, for the most part they hate losing, that's what separate them from other talented kids that didn't make it. Too often people think that because they don't show it all the time, players don't care.

Hawks2008

I love this, so refreshing to see someone actually show their disappointment instead of bullshit like Lingard or Rashford posting 'we go again' on Instagram or Mata typing out meaningless platitudes in his blog.

It's very clear that many of these players just don't care.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I like how he was basically like "ffs, we cant even score a goal in 2 games and you ask me do you know what's wrong". Just seems exasperated at the ineptitude on the pitch on the ball. We defend decently most games but game after game, if you offer no attacking threat, eventually the other team will break through. That's United this season. Don't give away too many chances but enough pressure because we offer nothing ourselves and never look like scoring.
Nail on head. We can't score a fecking goal. I thought it was a daft question by the interviewer as it's obvious what is absolutely killing us right now.

The looks on his face worth more than pages of Mata's Blog, and Instagram posts by Beanz

!Respect, he stuck with us through our darkest days (tbf the wage helps)

And some wanted him sold.
Watched his interview just now, wow. He is so angry but somehow controlled all the emotions. The look on his face says it all.
He was furious, disappointed, lost for words. It was a totally honest interview and most of that squad should be taking a good hard look at themselves.

Devil81

To be fair he can still hand in a transfer request if he want's even with a new contract.

I'd say he and others don't think the current management team are up to the job.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Seemed to me that he just fell short of saying it was all Ole’s fault “it’s not acceptable”. Pretty damming for your senior player to come out and say that.
It's a comment on the team. And he's right its not acceptable to not score.

I'm a stat guy. Manchester United shoots almost more than any other team in the Premier League, currently we've launched the 5th most shots in the direction of the goal. We have BY FAR the least to show for it. Our forwards have completely dropped the ball and its hurting us bigtime. Many many points bigtime, considering how close all of our games are.

A lot of people are saying that DDG is flaming Ole in public, and I guess you can see it that way if you hate Ole and want him gone. Confirmation bias and all that.

DDG is perhaps the Manchester United player outside of Pogba who has the most reason to be loyal to Ole. When the storm was the harshest around DDG last season when he cost us games and ultimately the CL spot at the end of the season, Ole stood in a crowded room with journalists and made sure that everyone remembered that he is the one that got them in that position in the first place, and that his faith in the goaltender was unshakable.

He had to defend him a lot last season when it was ramping up. After the 1-1 draw against Chelsea, where DDG again let in a rookie goal, Ole had this to say:

Solskjaer also told Sky Sports: "There's no chance that anyone can blame him for losing many points for us. He's been unbelievable. Yes, today he knows he could have had that shot, but that's football again.

Mind you, this was after he fumbled goals against Manchester City, Barcelona AND Everton, and that was just the most recent. The calls for dropping DDG were real, but he had his back.

When your boss has your back and goes out of his way to defend you, that does a lot to your perception of the man.

De Gea might be very unhappy with the results, there is not a single person in the club who isn't, but he's still Ole's man.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Don't agree.
He has been at the club long enough to understand the downward spiral and it is right for him to voice his concerns.

red thru&thru

Don't agree.
He has been at the club long enough to understand the downward spiral and it is right for him to voice his concerns.
Agree. He was genuinely shocked. DDG hardly ever does interviews. He's a right to be concerned and so should us fans be.

He definitely did that interview for a reason, to put pressure on someone. Who that is? I don't know. But remember, he recently lost his long term gk coach, he must still be reeling off of that. I don't know what the real reason is but he definitely had some motive for his interview yesterday.

Strelok

I understand that. But for perspective, he signed a contract just 2 or 3 weeks ago! He knew what he was signing up for, he's not serving some prison sentence so I'll save my sympathy.

The good news is that he's gutted, because I genuinely believe he loves the club.
I bloody regretted the very next week after my wedding.

People make mistakes in life I guess :)

Last edited: