De Gea: "Nobody knows the future. The future is the future. I’m very happy at United."

lsd

The Oracle
We don't need to buy a keeper Romero is better than most premiership keepers already and I really believe in Perriera

Ibi Dreams

Is it just me that doesn't really see anything worth worrying about in those quotes? It's pretty rare these days that you get a player really commit long term to a club in some random interview, and then it makes them look like a bit of a dick if they do end up moving. I just feel like he's pretty much given the bog standard answer for any good player that gets asked about a potential move in the future.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
All I've seen from him this season is a few gaffes from GIFs/videos posted on reddit and such
To be honest, it is not the best time for me to drop his name as a de Gea replacement :lol: He hasn't been having a great time at PSG this season as I said.

I think he showed last season though, in La Liga, that he has the talent. There would be risk involved with buying a 23 year old keeper and it could go either way. Buying a young but promising goalkeeper might be a risk we have to take anyway if we let De Gea go because I don't see us being able to buy the likes of Lloris, Neuer, or Courtois.

wr8_utd

:'(
Amazing how players like him and Ronaldo can/have flirted with Madrid, moved there and still gotten so much love. I can't warm to him too much after that summer because I know he's not going to stay here under any circumstances for too long.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Amazing how players like him and Ronaldo can/have flirted with Madrid, moved there and still gotten so much love. I can't warm to him too much after that summer because I know he's not going to stay here under any circumstances for too long.
Well it’s a bit more understandable that Latin players prefer La Liga, and especially David prefers Madrid, as that’s where his family and girlfriend are. And in my opinion De Gea’s acted pretty impeccably during his whole United career, doesn’t use his agent to unsettle United, keeps his performance levels high etc. If you’re bitter about Rooney not ”getting the same love”, if Rooney said a few years ago that he wanted to go back to Everton, I’m sure most would’ve understood it. Also I can't remember DDG or Ronaldo questioning their own teammates and their abilities.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
I find De Gea's wishes a lot more acceptable because he's a world class goalkeeper playing in a side who after this season (might) have only been in the CL once in four seasons. He's better than that and warrants a place in one of the best teams in the world. Ronaldo leaving seemed like more of a kick up the arse considering he was leaving a three-time consecutive league winner who'd just reached the CL final, winning it the year before.

wolvored

To me also this talk reminds me a lot of a certain Portugal player.

He looks to be open to the move and I can't blame him. He has done great for us and kept us in games, he deserves a move if he wants it. Even tough Fergie said that it's impossible to go playing on a higher lever from Manchester United, I think it's obvious that Real Madrid is a whole different beast.

We have a fairly OK backup in Romero and I guess we would go for somebody like Donnarumma for a proper nr1. shouldn't Romero be the one.

I'm not that freaked out, really.
It was reported a couple of weeks ago Romero wants to go back to Argentina

Smores

You'd have to be an incredibly bitter person to be pissed off with De Gea for leaving for Madrid. He's behaved impeccably given our situation and would have a better life there as well win more trophies.

I'll appreciate him whilst he's here and be thankful to have him with us but im under no illusion that he'll be here that much longer.

wolvored

I find De Gea's wishes a lot more acceptable because he's a world class goalkeeper playing in a side who after this season (might) have only been in the CL once in four seasons. He's better than that and warrants a place in one of the best teams in the world. Ronaldo leaving seemed like more of a kick up the arse considering he was leaving a three-time consecutive league winner who'd just reached the CL final, winning it the year before.
Ronaldo from the start said he wanted to play for Real. De Gea is Spanish from Madrid so we all knew he would leave one day. It might be in the summer or in 2-3 years time

wolvored

Madrid are weird, why do they want to get rid of Navas? I can only think of marketing reasons otherwise its bizarre.
Madrid always want the next must have player even if it means getting rid of a player just as good. Its their way of saying were the biggest club in the world and we can sign whoever we want.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Agree and have said so myself many times. About Ronaldo.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I really don't want to lose him, and I'll be pissed off if he goes for the £40m people are saying here. He is quite genuinely the Ronaldo of keepers, and we let Ronaldo go for too little.

We don't need to buy a keeper Romero is better than most premiership keepers already and I really believe in Perriera
We really are settled in 5th/6th for some. I keep seeing this kind of attitude more and more. You don't win the league with players like Romero.

dannofdawn

Well I mean even without considering their last attempt, we all knew deep down DDG would leave us for Spain one day. A shame because he's been great for us. The man gave his best for the club despite having to play for Moyes and LVG. When we conceded that goal in the final match and took away his chance at the clean sheet record, I really thought he would be leaving right after. But still he is here. So I honestly can't be upset that he prefers another club over UTD.

With all that said, he is too good of a keeper to be allowed to leave for a mere 40m. We better get a good deal out of this should RM comes knocking again.

spenzo

It's not simple at all. He probably isn't sure and he's not the only one making a decision (has to think about his family wishes as well). He most likely enjoys playing at the PL but he would probably also one day like to return to Spain and win over there.
I get the impression it's more so pressure from his girlfriend than his family, in which case I would have to tell her that I'm staying here (if that's what I wanted) but then again that's just me. I'd think he knows what he wants to do either way as well.

Tapori

Nothing can beat the hilarity of that Transfer Deadline day fiasco.

I will never be bitter about a United player moving to a club of equal stature located in their own country as long as they maintain the professionalism that De Gea has shown and we get a good Transfer fee like Ronaldo.

Imagine being a Mancunian and being first choice for Real Madrid or Barca, and United want to sign you. Tempting and understandable.

Strachans Cigar

Why did he sign a new contract 11 days after the fax fiasco if he was hell bent on going? Would he not have simply run his contract down??

We currently have a world class manager at the helm. This league is more exciting than La Liga. He'll be bored shitless over there. Madrid could stick me in nets and they would still qualify for the CL. Yawn. I think Dave likes the kudos he has gotten being a hero at United over the last few seasons. He is also being very well paid for it.

I think he means what he says. That he is very happy here, and likes the challenge of trying to bring us back to the top again. I think he will see his contract out as long as we show ambition in the transfer market and show progress on the pitch (we are).

However, another 1 or 2 seasons out of the CL and he'll probably feck off before that.

AkaAkuma

He's on 200k here which may make him the highest paid keeper, Im not sure what Neuer is on. Both Real and Barca pay around 70K - so Reals wage budget would have to stretch to accommodate him.

Smudge

Feels like the Ronaldo situation where we feel confident that he will stay a few more years and then bam 'Real agree fee with United'

Strachans Cigar

Imagine being a Mancunian and being first choice for Real Madrid or Barca, and United want to sign you. Tempting and understandable.
Yeah but Dave's got Atleti blood has he not? So it would be like a United fan signing for City?

FujiVice

I hope to God he's not in the news in the summer. Dont think I can take another couple of months of "El Donut" headlines from the cnuts over here.

jem

I guess it is quite likely he'll be off. He could easily just have said, "nah mate, I'm not going anywhere".
Well to be fair, Ronaldo said he wasn't going anywhere in that surreal self-interview he conducted shortly before doing just that.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Why did he sign a new contract 11 days after the fax fiasco if he was hell bent on going? Would he not have simply run his contract down??

We currently have a world class manager at the helm. This league is more exciting than La Liga. He'll be bored shitless over there. Madrid could stick me in nets and they would still qualify for the CL. Yawn. I think Dave likes the kudos he has gotten being a hero at United over the last few seasons. He is also being very well paid for it.

I think he means what he says. That he is very happy here, and likes the challenge of trying to bring us back to the top again. I think he will see his contract out as long as we show ambition in the transfer market and show progress on the pitch (we are).

However, another 1 or 2 seasons out of the CL and he'll probably feck off before that.
I'm sure he'll be fine: playing for Real will allow him to win (possibly) multiple league titles and the CL as well. If he performs for them he'll quickly become well regarded there as well.

I think he was impressed by our coup of Mourinho but this will be the third time in four seasons we haven't gotten into the CL if we don't make it. He's heading into his prime years and will be wanting to play for a top side - if our improvement is minimal and doesn't result in us competing at the top level, we're being optimistic in hoping for him to stay. I'd like to think he'll stick around for a while but it's hard to see. Even if we do get back into the CL spots on a regular basis, it doesn't guarantee we'll win much which he'll want to do.

Seij

He was getting benched behind Romero while getting a lot of hate from the fans. He was stuck at United and didn't have much of a choice at that point but to try to make amends with the manager and the fans.

The second Real comes back calling he'll want to leave. They seem to be weighing their options between De Gea, Courtois, and Lloris though so it'll be up to them whether or not ddg stays.

top1whoisman

Scout
Probably got a release clause written into the new one, making it easier to move the next time he wants to. In this way he also made sure United got a transfer fee.

Mindhunter

He's on 200k here which may make him the highest paid keeper, Im not sure what Neuer is on. Both Real and Barca pay around 70K - so Reals wage budget would have to stretch to accommodate him.
This. People are complete ignoring this point. I don't think Real can afford to pay their keeper 200k unless De Gea is willing to take a huge pay cut.

World Game

It was in his best interest. He was being benched by LVG because he wasn't mentally prepared to start. Signing a new contract got him back into the starting 11. Euro 2016 was right around the corner. If he didn't get game time at United he wasn't likely to get the starting spot for Spain at Euros.

wr8_utd

:'(
Ronaldo from the start said he wanted to play for Real. De Gea is Spanish from Madrid so we all knew he would leave one day. It might be in the summer or in 2-3 years time
He really did not. This gets thrown around a lot to justify his actions but he said he wouldn't mind playing for Madrid or Barca. Madrid were never his dream and he just used to us to get his big move to Spain.

wolvored

I get the impression it's more so pressure from his girlfriend than his family, in which case I would have to tell her that I'm staying here (if that's what I wanted) but then again that's just me. I'd think he knows what he wants to do either way as well.
Depends if he loves his GF or not. Unless he loves the club more everything is in Madrid. He will guarantee a big salary more or less the same. He will gain definite Champions League qualification every year, Challenging for the league, near to his GF family etc. Sometimes you have to accept that a player might think of Utd as his workplace, and not love the club as we fans do (Im talking generally not necessarily at De Gea).

CG1010

Yet you are a big fan of Rooney, who flirted with City and Chelsea? Makes sense.

For the record, I do not think adversely of Rooney, Ronaldo or De Gea for considering non-United options. They are also professionals after all. Except the fact that as soon as Ronaldo left, I wished that he regrets leaving United for the rest of his life. Which is not very likely considering our state post-SAF:(

SSSSnake

i'm personally worried by this. The keeper position is so important and De Gea finally established this postion after a tough spell settling in. I just look back when we struggled to replace the great Dane.

Anyways if we let him go for a big fee there are a few good candidates for the job. Who's that AC Milan keeper? Certainly looks the real deal and very young.

Strachans Cigar

I don't buy the replies re: his new contract.

Thought he was benched by LVG purely because of possible lack of focus due to the speculation? I remember Frans Hoek later saying there was no animosity.

Furthermore I'm sure he really endeared himself to Real now that they will have to pay a lot more to us than the 29m they originally did.

Like I say, if he was as hell bent on going as people seem to think, he would simply have run the contract down IMHO or made it clear he wasn't happy and he would have gone to Real the next January.

mr.suave

There are so few quality keepers around at any given time, that you really need to hold on to one if you have one. We've been spoilt for keepers over the last decade or so, but the post-Schmeichel struggle to find a top keeper is something that I don't really fancy going through again, and it's something that probably cost us a trophy or two somewhere down the line. Who else even is there that looks capable of reaching a similar level besides that young kid at Milan?

Can't exactly blame the guy if he does actually want to leave, though. He's been a beast for us for ages, yet he has nothing to show for it, really. His missus, friends and family all live in Madrid. The weather in Manchester really is absolutely shit as well, even for the people that grew up there. Can't imagine anyone from sunnier parts of the world being able to hack it for more than a couple of years.

top1whoisman

Scout
It’s funny to see how United use their marketing channels. Don’t think it’s a coincidence that they yesterday shared a month old photo from De Gea’s timeline and now this.

ps. He really couldn’t look more like a llama.

MuranoLover

De Gea loves the club , but he surely wants CL football and trophies , so if we don't bring that this or next season , he will go .

The only things that calms him down is that he is very young , but he will not wait for us anymore .

GBBQ

Honestly he's stuck around when united were in the doldrums, it would be strange if he leaves now when we're on the cusp of getting our shit together.

Hopefully its just posturing for contract negotiations but if he goes, I wouldn't hold a grudge.

I would say Lloris is a great replacement but would expect that Spurs would ask us for as much as we get for DDG.

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
He basically already signed a Madrid contract.. it just didn't go through. If they want him, they'll get him. I don't think they want him, though.. definitely not enough to pay the fee required.