De Gea Not Happy With Contract Offer

Treble

I think we may be trying to get him to sign a cheaper deal now that Real Madrid are out of the picture. PSG are pretty much the only team left who could both need a goalkeeper and be able to offer him as much as we can plus a chance of trophies.
If he leaves on free in 2 years, any big club can give him a massive signing-on fee: say 15-20m. They can offer him less money in wages but will compensate it with the signing-on fee. That said, we will pay what it takes as we can't afford to lose him. He will get a fantastic deal.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Didn't read the OP article but if the rumors are true that we offered him a salary of the highest paid goalkeeper in the world how could he not be happy? He's nothing to compare that salary with to deem it not good enough :houllier:
He's got the wages of other outfield players at the club to compare against.

He's comfortably been your best player for four years now. Why should he be getting less than guys like Sanchez and Pogba who don't contribute nearly as much as he does?

Mr Smith

As a general rule, I don't think goalkeepers should earn as much as forwards by dint of the fact that their position is reactionary; they just have to respond to what happens around them, rather than attackers, who have to create and invent.

However, De Gea has performed at a higher level than any forward at the club for the last 5 years, and has barely made a mistake in that time. To top it off he has been incredibly loyal. The man deserves a pay rise.

Trizy

He's got the wages of other outfield players at the club to compare against.

He's comfortably been your best player for four years now. Why should he be getting less than guys like Sanchez and Pogba who don't contribute nearly as much as he does?
Because he's a goal keeper. Regardless of how important he is to us he's not as important as an attacking player ala Salah, Aguero, Ronaldo, Messi to their respected clubs.

Johan07

Some people argued hard that players like Sanchez should get paid higher because of the lower transfer fee while others on higher transfer fee the salaries should be lower? Where is that logic come from? Just ridiculous! The transfer fee is paid to compensate the other entity, not the player involved in the trade. Player's salary should have nothing to do with the transfer fee. Player's salary should be calculated by factoring in the quality, experience, demand, supply and impacts to the team.

The salary issues on quality player like DDG or Pogba were going to come up the moment Sanchez was getting overpaid because the quality and experience are very much inflated by the new standard that applied to Sanchez. So forget how other players from other team are getting paid, every United player's agent is sizing up client's salary based on THIS TEAM's standard, not other teams or overall market.

Someone also argued that because of Real got a goal keeper so DDG is not on high demand. True. But you still don't want our arguably best player not happy. Even DDG had shown before he was very professional over things not going his way, but everyone in the club house knows there is an elephant in the room, you cannot hide it. Not only DDG, other players may also think, "this is how I get treated?, where is the love?"

So since we cannot rewind the Sanchez's deal, the solution is pretty clear, just pay DDG, and prepare to overpay quality players in the future.
I am one of those people. But I didnt argue that Sanchez should be paid more in wages because he practically arrived on a free. I just noted that he obviously is (if one believes that he is on around 400k per month. If so that wage must be a compensation of the fact that he didnt command a hefty transfer fee.

Why the club didnt structure his deal differently (higher sign-on, lower weekly wage) only the parties involves knows. But its not a wild guess that cashflow and taxation issues are involved.

My point was only that you cant just use just the wage to compare different players value to the club. It doesnt work like that anymore. Something that at least the clubs and agents involved are aware of.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Where is he going to go? Offer him the same wages he is on now with an extension.
Depending on how this season pans out there may end up being an awful lot of places he can go where he wont be in any worse position than here.

Maybe Woodward just wants him to join the two thirds of the rest of the squad that he's ingeniusly decided to let run their contracts down to the last year.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Because he's a goal keeper. Regardless of how important he is to us he's not as important as an attacking player ala Salah, Aguero, Ronaldo, Messi to their respected clubs.
You don't have a Salah, Aguero, Ronaldo or Messi. He is more important to you than any of your higher earning players.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
We don't know whats actually going on. But if it's true then it's down to Woodward in my opinion. Yes We do see a lot of good players did this in their respective clubs, but only one player in each team does this at a time.

We've had 3 in the space of two months: Martial, Pogba and De Gea (?) which is ridiculous. It all started when We gave Sanchez that contract. The players powers will only get bigger if We do nothing about this.

Last edited:

Bestietom

He wants the same as Sanchez. I said this when we brought Sanchez here. There will be players knocking on the door for a rise.
We didn't need him and Martial was doing fine when he played.

Johan07

He wants the same as Sanchez. I said this when we brought Sanchez here. There will be players knocking on the door for a rise.
We didn't need him and Martial was doing fine when he played.
He can ask for Sanchez-wages in two years when his contract is up. He would be entitled to it then, not now. There is no other club in the world that would pay him that wage now, since it would mean paying United a crazy transfer fee as well.

I didnt particularly fancy the Sanchez-deal either (his wage not being one of the reasons), but leveraging the deals and players against each other as is being done in this thread is a bit naive to be honest.

Gomes

Depending on how this season pans out there may end up being an awful lot of places he can go where he wont be in any worse position than here.

Maybe Woodward just wants him to join the two thirds of the rest of the squad that he's ingeniusly decided to let run their contracts down to the last year.
Who else pays a goalkeeper the same wages as United or even more? Whether or not he could go to somewhere with better chances of silverware isn't the question.

red4ever 79

Our one world class player should be the best paid player at the club. Haven't scrolled through all the comments, however I am assuming no one on here is disputing that

B20

Supports
Liverpool
He can ask for Sanchez-wages in two years when his contract is up. He would be entitled to it then, not now. There is no other club in the world that would pay him that wage now, since it would mean paying United a crazy transfer fee as well.

I didnt particularly fancy the Sanchez-deal either (his wage not being one of the reasons), but leveraging the deals and players against each other as is being done in this thread is a bit naive to be honest.
Sanchez wasn't getting a deal like this anywhere else either. The fact city baulked at his demands should tell you that much.

United didn't just give him a bosman-sized deal (which, given the fact you still paid an estimated 30m in the deal was not fully justified) - They gave him a disproportionately high deal to basically price city out of a deal.

I'd argue it is United being naive if they thought such a strategy would not impact their existing wage structure.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
The fact that Sanchez has been a bit pants while collecting such wages doesn't help either of course. Has created a narrative of what united are willing to pay players who aren't even the best around at what they do.

Camilo

I'd expect him, like any top player, to want to compete at the top regularly. He's spent the last 5 years in a team going nowhere - unless the club ups its game this season I think he'll see out his contract and leave. Every top club would want him - he'd have his pick.

Johan07

Our one world class player should be the best paid player at the club. Haven't scrolled through all the comments, however I am assuming no one on here is disputing that
I would tend to agree, maybe with a ltb caveat for the fact that he is a GK.

Its way too simplistic to translate the fact (which yeah, I think all will agree on) that the club should commit sufficient funds to keep De Gea to just his wages. De Geas total worth to the club will be decided by what other clubs would be prepared to offer him - and United - for his services. As long as he is under contract its going to be difficult for any other club - including Real - to offer him close to what United can.

And even what I just stated is admittedly to simplistic by myself as well. There is another big difference between De Gea and Sanchez as well; Sanchez ”asset value” will depreciate a lot faster over the term of his contract because of his age, position and even playing style (will his pace go, etc) compared to De Gea, who with say a three year extension still would be in his prime as a GK on expiration.

The big cost for the club with the Sanchez deal I would even argue is the latter. You could easily argue that this is a bigger cost for the club than his wages, whatever they are.

Again; is De Gea worth more than Sanchez to the club. Yeah. Probably. Does this translate to a salary comparison? Absolutely not.

BlueHaze

David is the last person we would want upset at this club. He's literally also the only one in the squad who has put in consistant excellent performances on a daily basis during the past 6 years. Performance wise he should be our top earner by far. They should give him what the feck he wants right now or he will be off to Barca within 1-2 seasons.

POF

De Gea's situation is quite worrying. He was all but gone under Van Gaal but seemed to be far happier at the club under Jose. It's quite concerning now that Jose's position is getting more and more tenuous and both Mata and Herrera seem to be on the outer.

If things implode this season, it's hard to see what will keep him at the club other than a huge wad of cash. I'll be very relieved if/when this contract is signed.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
All part of the negotiations. He knows, with Real no longer being an option, he's not in as strong a position he once was. This'll all be sorted, he's got a while left on his contract yet.

I'm a bit more concerned about the number of players we have on their final year of their contracts to be honest. We may be seeing a bit of a squad overhaul this summer.

Johan07

Sanchez wasn't getting a deal like this anywhere else either. The fact city baulked at his demands should tell you that much.

United didn't just give him a bosman-sized deal (which, given the fact you still paid an estimated 30m in the deal was not fully justified) - They gave him a disproportionately high deal to basically price city out of a deal.

I'd argue it is United being naive if they thought such a strategy would not impact their existing wage structure.
I completely agree even if I still think you are getting stuck a bit on the wage structure narrative. Its more about how much funds a club is prepared to invest in a player than about the actual wage. Might be more semantics though, I will concede that.

And United did invest in Sanchez. A lot. Agree on that. As I stated in an earlier post the biggest cost is probably his depreciation in value over the next couple of years.

De Gea is in a completely different situation and has a lot of leverage in these negotiations. Not so much because of the Sanchez-deal I would argue, but because his asset value to the club will be zero in two years. Now it might be as much as 100£m. Thats a lot of money translated into salary instead.

NJM78

He should be the highest paid player at club as clearly the best player we have. So parity with Sanchez a must. Pogba is a different story, he may not want to be here.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
The fact that Sanchez has been a bit pants while collecting such wages doesn't help either of course. Has created a narrative of what united are willing to pay players who aren't even the best around at what they do.
This is kind of bollocks really. The general consensus was that Sanchez would immediately be our best player when we signed him, hence making him our highest paid player. Him being crap here so far doesn't take away the fact that he was a top five PL player for the last three or fours years before that. Pretty much everyone thought we were getting a great player and the wages were worth it.

And anyway, even with him here, we have the lowest wages to turnover ratio in the league.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I completely agree even if I still think you are getting stuck a bit on the wage structure narrative. Its more about how much funds a club is prepared to invest in a player than about the actual wage. Might be more semantics though, I will concede that.

And United did invest in Sanchez. A lot. Agree on that. As I stated in an earlier post the biggest cost is probably his depreciation in value over the next couple of years.

De Gea is in a completely different situation and has a lot of leverage in these negotiations. Not so much because of the Sanchez-deal I would argue, but because his asset value to the club will be zero in two years. Now it might be as much as 100£m. Thats a lot of money translated into salary instead.
I am not sure re-sale value is that much of a factor for clubs like united. How often does it become actual? With the exception of Ronaldo, United's best players tend to leave when united are done with them - At which point their re-sale value will have dropped significantly. You have to estimate their worth over the course of the contract as players rather than sellable assets.

I am sure De gea will point to the length of his current contract for leverage, but I would be mightily surprised if one of the starting points of the negotiations wasn't De Gea's team saying "what those lesser players are earning? That's our baseline." - A reality I reckon United will find very hard to shift regardless of their own estimations of his worth.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
This is kind of bollocks really. The general consensus was that Sanchez would immediately be our best player when we signed him, hence making him our highest paid player. Him being crap here so far doesn't take away the fact that he was a top five PL player for the last three or fours years before that. Pretty much everyone thought we were getting a great player and the wages were worth it.
My point is, if Sanchez was tearing up the league, it would be easier for United to say "come on, Dave, we can't pay you as much as Sanchez. Look at what he is doing out there."

It may not be fair, but the net result is a narrative that United are a club who throws big money at big names who aren't delivering the expected goods. Why shouldn't the guy who actually delivers the goods get paid the same?

And anyway, even with him here, we have the lowest wages to turnover ratio in the league.
More leverage for De Gea then.

They should just pay up.

Johan07

I am not sure re-sale value is that much of a factor for clubs like united. How often does it become actual? With the exception of Ronaldo, United's best players tend to leave when united are done with them - At which point their re-sale value will have dropped significantly. You have to estimate their worth over the course of the contract as players rather than sellable assets.

I am sure De gea will point to the length of his current contract for leverage, but I would be mightily surprised if one of the starting points of the negotiations wasn't De Gea's team saying "what those lesser players are earning? That's our baseline." - A reality I reckon United will find very hard to shift regardless of their own estimations of his worth.
I have no idea to be honest. But its an interesting topic tbf. Because things have changed the last two years because of the absolute crazy increase in transfer fees.

I dont blame De Gea (or Eriksen to make a comparison) for looking at the crazy transfer fees being thrown about and thinking: why cant I pocket these 100£m that I am worth now in my prime in two years for myself? Again: translate that to salary. I think we will see a lot more of players in their prime seeing out their contracts until this transfer market craziness has affected player salaries proportionally.

Interesting times ahead.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I dont blame De Gea (or Eriksen to make a comparison) for looking at the crazy transfer fees being thrown about and thinking: why cant I pocket these 100£m that I am worth now in my prime in two years for myself? Again: translate that to salary. I think we will see a lot more of players in their prime seeing out their contracts until this transfer market craziness has affected player salaries proportionally.
Agree with all that.

Tells you how weird an industry football is though.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
My point is, if Sanchez was tearing up the league, it would be easier for United to say "come on, Dave, we can't pay you as much as Sanchez. Look at what he is doing out there."

It may not be fair, but the net result is a narrative that United are a club who throws big money at big names who aren't delivering the expected goods. Why shouldn't the guy who actually delivers the goods get paid the same?

More leverage for De Gea then.

They should just pay up.
I don't disagree with you on that, we should pay up, he deserves it. I'm merely saying that claiming Sanchez wages are unjustified is wrong. They were justified when we signed him, sadly he's failed to deliver.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I don't disagree with you on that, we should pay up, he deserves it. I'm merely saying that claiming Sanchez wages are unjustified is wrong. They were justified when we signed him, sadly he's failed to deliver.
I think they were somewhat unjustified at the time as well, tbh. There's paying for one of the best players in the league and then there is paying the surplus that united did to price out city from the deal. But even if they were justified at the time, the net result of him subsequently failing to justify his wages has created a new unfortunate reality for united, who are now having to justify to the players better than Sanchez why they shouldn't get paid what he does. Arguing "we thought he'd be better" isn't going to do much in a wage negotiation, I reckon.

edit. I think we are probably saying the same thing here.

red4ever 79

I would tend to agree, maybe with a ltb caveat for the fact that he is a GK.

Its way too simplistic to translate the fact (which yeah, I think all will agree on) that the club should commit sufficient funds to keep De Gea to just his wages. De Geas total worth to the club will be decided by what other clubs would be prepared to offer him - and United - for his services. As long as he is under contract its going to be difficult for any other club - including Real - to offer him close to what United can.

And even what I just stated is admittedly to simplistic by myself as well. There is another big difference between De Gea and Sanchez as well; Sanchez ”asset value” will depreciate a lot faster over the term of his contract because of his age, position and even playing style (will his pace go, etc) compared to De Gea, who with say a three year extension still would be in his prime as a GK on expiration.

The big cost for the club with the Sanchez deal I would even argue is the latter. You could easily argue that this is a bigger cost for the club than his wages, whatever they are.

Again; is De Gea worth more than Sanchez to the club. Yeah. Probably. Does this translate to a salary comparison? Absolutely not.
I'm a simple kind of guy. One is a world class GK (probably the best in his position who has been our best player for the past 4 years) The other is a forward who in the past 12 months has been a shadow of his former self and not showing any signs of getting that form back. I know which one should be the highest earner

Nikelesh Reddy

It’s Duncan castles and the Record for gods sake!!Cant believe that anyone’s taking this seriously...