De Gea post-season interview: "Ones who want to stay, stay at the club. Ones that don't want to stay go out. You don't have to stay here."

Skills

Snitch
Yeah so ? Are people acting as if the problem is in this word only ? Literally the next sentence is "the team is poor". He's absolving himself from the blame saying he did well while the team was poor. Hearing "sports" as "poor" doesn't change anything at all from the context of the sentence when the next sentence is him saying the team is poor indeed.

And De Gea didn't reply on this by saying they heard him wrong. He just literally said "I didn't say that".

He looks like a clown now.
No he doesn't

edcunited1878

David has one full year left on his contract, so unless he is transferred, then he'll be here next season. After that, probably not, unless he wants to stay on reduced wages and not likely to be first choice.

Think he should be given the opportunity to fight for his position for his last contracted year then be allowed to make a choice. And he'd be smart to leave and be with his family in Spain for his remainder of career.

el3mel

At no point in the clip that was posted in the tweet you were responding to did he say the team was poor. That's the point.
He clearly said it at 0:12.

I did. You need some hearing aids my friend. Give it a rest. This is a complete non- issue.
Nah, I left these hearing aids to you.

Who said it's an issue though ? No one said that. It's just a clownish moment from De Gea. Not a problem but he tried to act smart on Twitter and got his arse handed to him.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Which isn’t going happen. He’s just as much of a problem as any other player in the squad. Should we revert back to more possession football that’s when his weaknesses show.
While I agree that DDG isn't the perfect GK, he is better than most out there and I would definitely put him in the top 5 in the league.
If you go through all the rest of the positions, how many others are top 5 in their position. Right now Ronaldo and honestly that's it.

Blaming the GK for our long run of disappointment is pretty naive. GK don't win you leagues. I remember a quote from Brian Clough years ago when Peter Shilton was at his absolute peak saying he gave them an extra 4 points a season. He meant that as a compliment.

So unless big Dave is going to adapt his game to where he beats 10 men and bangs it in regularly from 30 yards I don't think the best in the world is going to get us the 30 odd points we are currently behind. ETH might not fancy him as 1st choice, who knows, but he is definitely far from being the problem.

Reactions: Penna

Trophy Room

Nah, I left these hearing aids it to.

Who said it's an issue though ? No one said it. It's just a clownish moment from De Gea. Not a problem but he tried to act smart on Twitter and got his arse handed to him.
The only person that seems to be getting his arse handed to him is you mate.

CloneMC16

Yet some of the keepers with the best claims of crosses etc have been in worse teams than a poor United team, despite beating United (some of them)

Seriously, people need to stop focusing on sweeper keepers and stats relating to them, as it's misleading as to who is a good keeper and who isn't.
It's not just about being a sweeper keeper. It's about almost everything that isn't just making saves from longer range efforts. That's the problem. De Gea has massive holes in many parts of his game. That's why people like me complain about him. Him and a lot of our fans think that making a few saves is enough for an elite level goalkeeper. It isn't.

Our defence has almost never looked good in the 10 years he's been here. He is the only constant.

hobbers

Who said it's an issue though ? No one said it. It's just a clownish moment from De Gea. Not a problem but he tried to act smart on Twitter and got his arse handed to him.
No he's in the right to point it out, because he says "it's a sport team er team es-port".

I can understand a first take being wrong but once it's pointed out it's very obvious he never used the word poor at all. Talk about selective hearing.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Nah, I left these hearing aids to you.

Who said it's an issue though ? No one said that. It's just a clownish moment from De Gea. Not a problem but he tried to act smart on Twitter and got his arse handed to him.
He clearly didn't. That's what we've all been telling you.

He says "I think I did well but it's a sports team, a team sport, so it doesn't matter what I did.."

At no point is the word "poor" used.

el3mel

No he's in the right to point it out, because he says "it's a sport team er team es-port".

I can understand a first take being wrong but once it's pointed out it's very obvious he never used the word poor at all. Talk about selective hearing.
He clearly says "this is a spot team, the team is poor so it doesn't matter what I did".

"Er team es-port" or "The team sport" are sentences that don't make any kind of sense. He's not a native English speaker, it's easy to make what he's saying. "The" is clearly heard after "this is a sport team". Also, "the team is poor" makes the whole quote makes sense.

I get it that they got "sport" as "poor" clearly wrong in the first sentence but the second sentence is clear to me. I have heard the clip ton of times and I can't hear it anything else.

90 + 5min

I love how people are trying to make it like he said poor team. This is the same type of "missunderstanding" that people wrote about managers just to make them look poor. Agenda from fans. He said sports team. It is not hard to hear and understand.

Had he said poor team, I would have been behind him 100% .

hobbers

He clearly says "this is a spot team, the team is poor so it doesn't matter what I did".

"Er team es-port" or "The team sport" are sentences that don't make any kind of sense. He's not a native English speaker, it's easy to make what he's saying. "The" is clearly heard after "this is a sport team". Also, "the team is poor" makes the whole quote makes sense.

I get it that they got "sport" as "poor" clearly wrong in the first sentence but the second sentence is clear to me. I have heard the clip ton of times and I can't hear it anything else.
How are you not getting this?

In his head he said "it's a sport team (oops I said this the wrong way around) a team sport".

There's no ambiguity the word poor doesn't feature anywhere. Both times he's saying sport and putting a Spanish inflexion on the S.

el3mel

He clearly didn't. That's what we've all been telling you.

He says "I think I did well but it's a sports team, a team sport, so it doesn't matter what I did.."

At no point is the word "poor" used.
There's a clear difference between the way he pronounce "sport" and "poor" in the next sentence. I honestly find it ridiculous that some are hearing the word the same in both sentence.

He's clearly saying "this is sport team, the team is poor".

Irwin99

I've never seen a season as toxic as this one regarding, well, just about every aspect of the club:

De Gea slams players
Ralf slams players
Rashford flips off a fan/fans
Cavani flips off the fans
Pogba gets booed
Lingard's shenanigans
Press leaks
Greenwood situation
Maguire gets booed/jeered

I'm sure i've missed some out too. Our club is just poison at the moment

Anustart89

Enlighten us then, enlighten us what does "sports" and "poor" interchanging change anything from the context of the quote.
"It's a sport team [corrects himself], team sport so it doesn't matter what I did" is what I think he said. It would make sense from context and the fact that he's out in public denying it.

el3mel

How are you not getting this?

In his head he said "it's a sport team (oops I said this the wrong way around) a team sport".

There's no ambiguity the word poor doesn't feature anywhere. Both times he's saying sport and putting a Spanish inflexion on the S.
I'm sorry, I have heard the clips hundreds of times since this discussion started and I can't hear it anything else. It's honestly clear to me as well.

But, feel free you and others to hear it otherwise.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I get it that they got "sport" as "poor" clearly wrong in the first sentence but the second sentence is clear to me.
And it makes sense to you that he would first say "sport team" - but then go on to state that the team is "poor" (rather than stressing that "it's a team sport", which makes perfect sense in the full context of what he's, clearly, trying to say)?

RonaldoVII

I'm sorry, I have heard the clips hundreds of times since this discussion started and I can't hear it anything else. It's honestly clear to me as well.

Give them ears a scrub then pal. Maybe they are full of wax? Why would De Gea refute something if he had said it live on camera?

Anustart89

There's a clear difference between the way he pronounce "sport" and "poor" in the next sentence. I honestly find it ridiculous that some are hearing the word the same in both sentence.

He's clearly saying "this is sport team, the team is poor".
I think what you're hearing as "is poor" is "e-sport". Adding a subtle 'e' at the beginning of words starting with s is common in Spanish speaking people as they don't do words starting in 's' followed by another consonant.

onemanarmy

I've never seen a season as toxic as this one regarding, well, just about every aspect of the club:

De Gea slams players
Ralf slams players
Pogba gets booed
Lingard's shenanigans
Press leaks
Greenwood situation

Ronaldo hitting a kids phone out of his hands.

hobbers

Fair enough but there'd be no problem if he had said it's a sport team and the team is poor. So if that's what he said and what he meant he wouldn't be bothering to deny it on twitter.

el3mel

And it makes sense to you that he would first say "sport team" - but then go on to state that the team is "poor" (rather than stressing that "it's a team sport", which makes perfect sense in the full context of what he's, clearly, trying to say)?
It makes sense indeed yes. He did well, but since this is a team sport and the whole team has been bad, it doesn't matter what he did.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
It's not just about being a sweeper keeper. It's about almost everything that isn't just making saves from longer range efforts. That's the problem. De Gea has massive holes in many parts of his game. That's why people like me complain about him. Him and a lot of our fans think that making a few saves is enough for an elite level goalkeeper. It isn't.

Our defence has almost never looked good in the 10 years he's been here. He is the only constant.
It isn't the only constant.

We had Henderson in goal, yet looked ever worse.
We had Romero in goal and kept clean sheets against poor teams yet poor against the rest. Realistically no difference Vs DDG.
We had Valdes in goal and looked awful,

Now you could argue that these be keepers are not the best, and you'd be right, compared to DDG they can't hold a torch.

But Henderson was meant to be a playmaker with his feet, yet still not as good as DDG,

So no, DDG isn't the only constant.

The only constant is United not improving the midfield duo/holding midfielder to improve our defense and stats such as shots faced etc etc etc.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

De Gea slams players
Ralf slams players
Pogba gets booed
Lingard's shenanigans
Press leaks
Greenwood situation

Ronaldo and the broken phone.

JB7

We had Romero in goal and kept clean sheets against poor teams yet poor against the rest. Realistically no difference Vs DDG.

Now you could argue that these be keepers are not the best, and you'd be right, compared to DDG they can't hold a torch.

But Henderson was meant to be a playmaker with his feet, yet still not as good as DDG,

The only constant is United not improving the midfield duo/holding midfielder to improve our defense and stats such as shots faced etc etc etc.
You might want to check the stats with Henderson in goal rather than remembering a couple of poor mistakes from him and generalising. Hope this helps.

EtH

Not to mention that adding an undroppable alpha male like Ronaldo to a dressing room which is already divided by players who don’t think the team gets picked on merit was the catalyst for the whole shit show to collapse in on itself. A tipping point that had obviously been reached before Rangnick took over.
Not to mention the inordinate wages he and others are on without merit. The wage structure is totally broken and will be a huge obstacle to ETH having any success here. And obviously this began long before RR took over as interim.

SirAF

Ageist
Give them ears a scrub then pal. Maybe they are full of wax? Why would De Gea refute something if he had said it live on camera?
:lol:

De Gea CLEARLY did not say «poor», I got that on the first watch/listen. Bloody hell!

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
You might want to check the stats with Henderson in goal rather than remembering a couple of poor mistakes from him and generalising. Hope this helps.
No doesn't help,

Explain why he's still number two?

Please help me understand.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It makes sense indeed yes. He did well, but since this is a team sport and the whole team has been bad, it doesn't matter what he did.
Yeah - kind of, sort of, in theory. But why would he (or his social media team) bother to deny it?

* Says openly that the team is poor (but he, himself, has done well) in a post-match interview which millions of people will have seen.

* Then - bizarrely - denies having said it.

Doesn't that strike you as very odd?

el3mel

Yeah - kind of, sort of, in theory. But why would he (or his social media team) bother to deny it?

* Says openly that the team is poor (but he, himself, has done well) in a post-match interview which millions of people will have seen.

* Then - bizarrely - denies having said it.

Doesn't that strike you as very odd?
That thing is up to him.

The context of the sentence still, though, clearly pointing fingers to his teammates, even if we somehow reach the conclusion he said "sport" and not "poor" in the second sentence, the meaning of the quote still " I did well, but since the rest were shit, it didn't matter".

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
De Gea is loving it. He got the captaincy stripped of him for displaying standards in a post-match interview and Harry 'good lad who got relegated 4 times' Maguire got it instead.

I wouldn't be surprised if he's the transitional captain next season if Ronaldo doesn't get it.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
No doesn't help,

Explain why he's still number two?

Please help me understand.
It's possible for both of them to not be good enough. Henderson is bang average and has no standout qualities at all. De Gea at least has great reflexes but is very poor at organisation, coming out to catch aerial balls (unless they're literally underneath his crossbar), sweeping and distribution.

Honestly, De Gea is low down the list of problems in the team (and we're never going to shift him on the wages he has anyway) so I'm not too fussed about him staying as long as we can drastically change a lot of the rest of the side. However, if we were in a better position where we didn't need to feck off half the team, he's definitely someone we can improve upon. I'd rather have near half of the other keepers in the league over him.

SirAF

Ageist

The context of the sentence still, though, clearly pointing fingers to his teammates, even if we somehow reach the conclusion he said "sport" and not "poor" in the second sentence, the meaning of the quote still " I did well, but since the rest were shit, it didn't matter".
There is no «somehow» :lol: It’s clear as day light! He does not say «poor».

CloneMC16

Our defence was better with Henderson in goal. We conceded less goals. Henderson would have started this season if he didn't get COVID. We could have had a better look at him to see how the team performed as a whole. Don't know if he was good enough, but I would have liked to have seen more. Nobody has gotten the chances over the last 10 years that De Gea has had. Nobody has played more games than De Gea has over that timeframe. If there is any constant, it is De Gea.

MDFC Manager

Clearly says "team sport" and the context and the rest of what he says just makes it doubly clear.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Except that didn't happen, did it? Henderson's run in goal last season is literally the best our defence has been in the last four seasons (both by the eyes and the stats). You can try to claim it was coincidence, or put a lot of stress on the 2-3 games where Henderson did have poor games, but overall that was the best our defence has looked for years.

Dante

Average bang
That's just the way Spanish people speak. They add an 'e' sound before any word beginning with 's'.

So 'sport' gets pronounced as 'es-port'. That makes it sound like he's saying 'is poor', but I think DDG's clarification should be enough.

He's been around long enough to know how to speak to the press, so we should take him at his word.

It was 'es-port team' and 'team es-port'.

hp88

He will be our captain next season so he can't he slipping up anymore, hopefully he hasn't got an inept back four in front of him again.