De Gea Replacement - Our next biggest priority

Baxquux

I know they're similar ages, - Oblak being a couple of years younger - and neither is Allison/Ederson style sweeper keeper, but would Oblak/De Gea swap with a few million to sweeten the deal be the worst option? Oblak still seems more proactive and able to accommodate a high-line, a better distributor etc?

Or is Maguire going to complain that the replacement goalkeeper also speaks (good, or even, in Gea's case at least, fully fluent) English in a 'foren' accent?

Devil81

No one mentioning Martinez at Aston Villa.

He's a mountain of a keeper.

croadyman

Well apparently scouting Costa,have seen the French guy Maignan mentioned a lot but zero links to him whatsoever

poleglass red

No one mentioning Martinez at Aston Villa.

He's a mountain of a keeper.
very good keeper but he's contracted until 2027 with Villa, under his contract he signed in Jan, so Villa would want a massive fee for him. Stuff like that hasn't stopped us before I guess.

Fabio Rochemback

Robert Sanchez would be my pick. He wouldn't be cheap, and I don't watch non-EPL/CL games nowadays so, I'm sure there are cheaper options on the continent who can pass and command their box.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
ddg is now matthias sammer so no need for another keeper for a decade or so, all g

largelyworried

I think I need a primer on what the guy's strengths are. His key stats from last season are frankly awful, probably the worst in the league. This season he's still worst in the league at long range passing and average at everything else. Im happy to accept that potential can trump your current stats, but still, I would hope for a little more than we've seen to date if he's a potential United number 1.

criticalanalysis

I think I need a primer on what the guy's strengths are. His key stats from last season are frankly awful, probably the worst in the league. This season he's still worst in the league at long range passing and average at everything else. Im happy to accept that potential can trump your current stats, but still, I would hope for a little more than we've seen to date if he's a potential United number 1.
Same.

I think he's a bit like Ramsey, ok to average shot stopping but brave in everything else so looks like he has potential and mentality, which in itself is an underrated trait but the fundamentals do not make a high level player.

I think Pickford is like the peak version of Ramsey and that's not necessarily a criticism.

RedDevilQuebecois

Diogo Costa looks like the man for me. With that large Portuguese-speaking contingent already on board, why not add another member to the family?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think this role needs to be prioritised and with each passing game week, it becomes more and more obvious that we'd benefit from a more proactive keeper.

The latest example is David Raya against Man City where he made several good saves and his distribution was immaculate. It's easy to see why he's in the Spain squad ahead of DdG. And for a shorter keeper, Raya's high claims column is pretty emphatic compared to the competition.

Cantonalegod

Watched Vanja Milinkovic Savic today.

He had a very good game.

We had to release him previously, when he was very young, due to work permit issues.

He is massive, only 25, good in the air, pretty good with his feet and quick to sweep when needed.

Anyone who watches the Italian league regularly got an opinion?

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
David Raya has only 18 months left on his contract, valued around 25m euros. Might be worth getting him in the summer transfer window, probably for a small fee around 20m euros.

He is in his prime age right now 27, turns 28 when PL starts next season and has a lot of experience from PL,

Diogo Costa has 5 years left on his contract, is only 23 years old and is probably ranked top 3 in the world if you would rank GKs under 23, if not the highest ranked right now with a lot of clubs interested in him. His value is over 50m euros, and if we enter a bidding war the fee will probably be much more then that, probably around 70-80m euros.

Problem is that DDG is having the best season in a long time, if not the best ever, he has even been decent with his long balls and i have a feeling that ETH doesn't see him as the first player that needs to be replaced for next season. I'm not sure i would drop DDG yet, if he keeps training his feet and the defense keeps playing like they are right now (Dalot-Varane-Martinez-Shaw and Casemiro), then we should be good for another 2, maybe 3 seasons. At least we should give him one more season and spend the big money on a CM and a striker (also need a backup for Dalot and maybe replace some players we should sell this summer).

Just can't see that DDG is our biggest problem right now...

Borussia Teeth

David Raya has only 18 months left on his contract, valued around 25m euros. Might be worth getting him in the summer transfer window, probably for a small fee around 20m euros.

He is in his prime age right now 27, turns 28 when PL starts next season and has a lot of experience from PL,

Diogo Costa has 5 years left on his contract, is only 23 years old and is probably ranked top 3 in the world if you would rank GKs under 23, if not the highest ranked right now with a lot of clubs interested in him. His value is over 50m euros, and if we enter a bidding war the fee will probably be much more then that, probably around 70-80m euros.

Problem is that DDG is having the best season in a long time, if not the best ever, he has even been decent with his long balls and i have a feeling that ETH doesn't see him as the first player that needs to be replaced for next season. I'm not sure i would drop DDG yet, if he keeps training his feet and the defense keeps playing like they are right now (Dalot-Varane-Martinez-Shaw and Casemiro), then we should be good for another 2, maybe 3 seasons. At least we should give him one more season and spend the big money on a CM and a striker (also need a backup for Dalot and maybe replace some players we should sell this summer).

Just can't see that DDG is our biggest problem right now...
I always thought ddg was good with his feet during his first few years. I think playing under Jose and with defenders like Smalling who are uncomfortable with playing out of the back, he regressed in this area. However, I don't think it was ever a huge weakness of his. I think he was always poor in terms of dominating his box and sweeping but he seems to be improving in the latter, too. I think we should take the year option and revisit this in summer 2024.

EtH

I like Meslier. Think he has it all. Only still under the radar due to Leeds’ kamikaze brand of football IMO.

MadMike

I like Meslier. Think he has it all. Only still under the radar due to Leeds’ kamikaze brand of football IMO.
But they aren't kamikaze under Marsh. You're still thinking of how they played during Bielsa's time, which ended in Feb.

Rojofiam

I always thought ddg was good with his feet during his first few years. I think playing under Jose and with defenders like Smalling who are uncomfortable with playing out of the back, he regressed in this area. However, I don't think it was ever a huge weakness of his. I think he was always poor in terms of dominating his box and sweeping but he seems to be improving in the latter, too. I think we should take the year option and revisit this in summer 2024.
Stop with this myth, please. Just take a look at Ederson, Alisson, Ramsdale, Costa and others' distribution. Technical keepers like them are miles ahead of De Gea in this regard and it's crucial to how ETH wants to play. De Gea has to go, there are no two ways about it.

X