De Gea Replacement - Do not use for player performance chat

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Haven't really seen enough of Simón in the league to know how he shapes up as a GK. His key stats this season are alright without being special, albeit last season they were better. Better than De Gea's at least. I guess that since he's Spain's number 1 then Enrique at least thinks has the right mentality for high pressure games? €30-40M would certainly be a good price if the manager fancies him, not sure how realistic that is.

Key thing is that we don't need to find a once in a lifetime talent to upgrade on what he have. A consistent all-rounder would be a step up.
I agree, we don't need a once in a life time talent, but rather we need someone who is a stylistic fit for the principles ten Hag is attempting to implement. So aswell being good on the ball, it's also important to have a keeper who is brave and commanding when it comes to dominating his area.

Mas Risky

Stop with this myth, please. Just take a look at Ederson, Alisson, Ramsdale, Costa and others' distribution. Technical keepers like them are miles ahead of De Gea in this regard and it's crucial to how ETH wants to play. De Gea has to go, there are no two ways about it.
It's not a myth. I remember clearly that in his early years with United, De Gea was quite confident with the ball at his feet, long before it was trendy. It went downhill after Van Gaal was replaced by Mourinho. Yes, his shot-stopping skill has become world-class ever since, but he never asked to make a medium-range pass again.

edit:
Just found this https://strettynews.com/2022/07/20/...en-hag-malacia-de-geas-distribution-and-more/. Frans Hoek himself think that De Gea was capable to be a part of build up play.

Last edited:

Rojofiam

It's not a myth. I remember clearly that in his early years with United, De Gea was quite confident with the ball at his feet, long before it was trendy. It went downhill after Van Gaal was replaced by Mourinho. Yes, his shot-stopping skill has become world-class ever since, but he never asked to make a medium-range pass again.

edit:
Just found this https://strettynews.com/2022/07/20/...en-hag-malacia-de-geas-distribution-and-more/. Frans Hoek himself think that De Gea was capable to be a part of build up play.
So why did De Gea's on the ball abilities literally made ten Hag change formation after our first 2 PL games? He's the biggest reason ETH gave up on the 4-3-3 and switched back to Ole's 4-2-3-1 so that he can see this season out and avoid getting sacked.

Since then, DDG has admittedly improved in this regard, but he's still nowhere near the level required. I'd be shocked if he wasn't let go at the end of the season and we weren't looking to bring in a Diogo Costa or someone like that next summer.

Mas Risky

So why did De Gea's on the ball abilities literally made ten Hag change formation after our first 2 PL games? He's the biggest reason ETH gave up on the 4-3-3 and switched back to Ole's 4-2-3-1 so that he can see this season out and avoid getting sacked.

Since then, DDG has admittedly improved in this regard, but he's still nowhere near the level required. I'd be shocked if he wasn't let go at the end of the season and we weren't looking to bring in a Diogo Costa or someone like that next summer.
You answered it yourself. The ability is always there, but after experiencing several goalkeeping coaches, two negative-minded managers, and unreliable back four, he needs time to adjust. Whether Ten Haag has the patience or De Gea could improve drastically, it remains to be seen.
I think Ten Haag will assess De Gea's situation at the end of this season. I will not be surprised if Ten Haag decides to activate the one-year extension in De Gea's contract if he manages to perform at an acceptable level. A great goalkeeper is not easy to find. I will be wary of bringing a flavor of the day like Diogo Costa. He just made the stupidest mistake for someone considered a top goalkeeper. Robert Sanchez is a safer bet. I'm also interested in Vanja Milinkovic-Savic, but not as a guaranteed #1 goalkeeper.

Rojofiam

You answered it yourself. The ability is always there, but after experiencing several goalkeeping coaches, two negative-minded managers, and unreliable back four, he needs time to adjust. Whether Ten Haag has the patience or De Gea could improve drastically, it remains to be seen.
I think Ten Haag will assess De Gea's situation at the end of this season. I will not be surprised if Ten Haag decides to activate the one-year extension in De Gea's contract if he manages to perform at an acceptable level. A great goalkeeper is not easy to find. I will be wary of bringing a flavor of the day like Diogo Costa. He just made the stupidest mistake for someone considered a top goalkeeper. Robert Sanchez is a safer bet. I'm also interested in Vanja Milinkovic-Savic, but not as a guaranteed #1 goalkeeper.
I would be very happy to see De Gea evolve into this technical goalkeeper that has great distribution, because I'd love to see him stay as our number 1 and win titles for United again...but I just don't see it. I'd be very happy to be proven wrong, but I don't see De Gea staying beyond 2023.

EtH

Diogo Costa is the clear player for this IMO.
Not seen enough of him but don’t think Simon is the answer at all. Is Henderson not an option ? Seems to be doing well at Forest and deserves a chance to challenge DDG next season. Cnut or not.

Bestietom

Our next biggest priority is an out and out CF. Have you seen our GD for last season, and this season so far.

Kag

Second priority after a striker, yes.

Folk are kidding themselves if they’re being blinded by this recent spate of good form. Ten Hag shouldn’t be so foolish.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If the goalkeeper cant retain possession but has to play long kick, how can you expect us to progress to dominate the possession especially these days teams are doing high press to press the defenders and keeper?

Bojan Djordjic

Sensible signing but I do think that United may live to regret not signing Diogo Costa before he moves to a super club. That profile of player doesn't come along often and while Sommer is very good with his feet and is a decent keeper, he's a stop gap measure due to his age.

AFC NimbleThumb

Sensible signing but I do think that United may live to regret not signing Diogo Costa before he moves to a super club. That profile of player doesn't come along often and while Sommer is very good with his feet and is a decent keeper, he's a stop gap measure due to his age.
Without a bottomless money pit Sommer makes sense. Costa would be ideal but there are so many other positions of need that Sommer for a few years then the next Costa makes sense.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
German Journo who covers Bayern and may have links to ten Hag from his time at Bayern?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
German Journo who covers Bayern and may have links to ten Hag from his time at Bayern?

Says they won't use the year extension, says they are open to replacing him, says De Gea wants to stay, notes his wages.

I wonder to what extent we've already decided to move De Gea on versus being open to keeping him if he agrees to significantly lower terms on a new contract?

In some ways the extension is the worst option as triggering an extra one year on his current £18-20m contract would cost about as much as two years in the £8-11m bracket players like Antony, Maguire, Eriksen and Rashford currently reportedly occupy.

Revan

Assumptionman

I don't mind continuing with De Gea, but we should not activate the clause. He should be in 150k maximum, so if he wants to sign in that contract for 2 years or so, it would be an ok business.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Says they won't use the year extension, says they are open to replacing him, says De Gea wants to stay, notes his wages.

I wonder to what extent we've already decided to move De Gea on versus being open to keeping him if he agrees to significantly lower terms on a new contract?

In some ways the extension is the worst option as triggering an extra one year on his current £18-20m contract would cost about as much as two years in the £8-11m bracket players like Antony, Maguire, Eriksen and Rashford currently reportedly occupy.
I don't think they (the club) will take up the option of a extra year due to the wages DdG is on. But they might negotiate a lower salary once his contract expires at the end of the season and also bring in a new keeper with a view to being the #1. Henderson I think will be sold and Dubravka will be sent back to Newcastle.

I think that makes sense to me and would allow a more seemless transition for a potential new keeper rather than throwing him straight into the deep end.

SAF is the GOAT

He's earning 375K right now and even if we'll lower his wages - How low do you think it'll be ? 250 ? 200 ? Its still pretty high numbers in wages

Boondog

I like the idea of DDG sticking around at a better price. Don't think that will happen but it would be nice because not only does he bleed the club colors but he's worked his ass off under ten Hag to improve in his sweeper play. I think he can do it, the issue is probably the contract as they don't want to be paying him premium.

Elcabron

DDG situation is a tricky one but I think we hold the aces. Difficult to see any of the top teams coming in for him this time around.

What about the Croatian keeper? Still plays for Dynamo Zegreb so I'm sure he is available for very little and looks to be a decent keeper.

ThinkTank@Cafe

DDG situation is a tricky one but I think we hold the aces. Difficult to see any of the top teams coming in for him this time around.

What about the Croatian keeper? Still plays for Dynamo Zegreb so I'm sure he is available for very little and looks to be a decent keeper.
I heard Livakovic is not particularly good at playing with his feet.

Devil81

I like the idea of DDG sticking around at a better price. Don't think that will happen but it would be nice because not only does he bleed the club colors but he's worked his ass off under ten Hag to improve in his sweeper play. I think he can do it, the issue is probably the contract as they don't want to be paying him premium.
Bleed the clubs colours, he was off to Madrid if it wasn't for a dodgy fax machine.

He only started claiming United were his club when his profile took a huge decline and he knew full well he wasn't getting a better club.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I don't mind continuing with De Gea, but we should not activate the clause. He should be in 150k maximum, so if he wants to sign in that contract for 2 years or so, it would be an ok business.
signing new GK with a bit of profile would probably cost 50-70m (plus, they'll also get paid). That takes out a bit of chunk for funding other more urgent positions.

If i were EtH, i would also want a bit of stability on players in-& out on my 2nd season. DDG is pretty good Gk. There's no need to gamble on incoming new Gk.

Being said that, I'd welcome a new Gk if we have enough fund.

Last edited:

Boondog

Bleed the clubs colours, he was off to Madrid if it wasn't for a dodgy fax machine.

He only started claiming United were his club when his profile took a huge decline and he knew full well he wasn't getting a better club.
Maybe so. Maybe I overlook some of that stuff with him due to the fact he's been around so long I'm attached to him as our keeper. But either way I think he's going to be a cost decision. Where if he is willing to take a certain level of pay EtH may keep him around just with better competition/backup.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I have been one of De Gea's biggest critics for quite some time now. I've always thought that he is quite possibly the best shot stopper in the world, but it's the rest of his game that he struggles with. He has had to make phenomenal saves that other keepers either wouldn't have to make (quick off their line), or saves that would be routine to other keepers (better positioning). But if there's one part of his game that to me seems to be very under rated it's when he has the ball at his feet. I see nothing wrong with his distribution. In my opinion, people are looking for something that isn't there, and when a pass does go astray, they say "see, his passing is horrible" (nobody has 100% pass accuracy). My biggest problems with him has been his reluctance to leave his goal line. This year he seems to be doing better. We have seen him play sweeper keeper a lot more than he has before, so there's definite improvement there. I still have a problem with his positioning at times and he still needs to defend his 6 better when it comes to crosses. But he is improving (didn't think he could). And if that improvement continues, I'd be good with having him stay past his current contract, just as long as he is willing to take a pay cut...

The Purley King

It’s not necessarily ball at his feet that is the problem it’s his complete incapacity to come off his line and claim a cross.
We have conceded shit loads of goals that other teams wouldn’t purely because he is glued to his line.
Facing a shot from 18 yards he may be incredible but it’s that (fairly basic) attribute of being brave and dominating the 8-10 yards around his goal that he is severe lacking.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Accepting that De Gea would need to be paid a lot less if we kept him, which player(s) in the squad do you think he deserves to have wage parity with?